chapter 4

bloom (winrina)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"grandpa—"

 

"we need to talk about those clothes, and that cat." he knew.

 

he talked to grandma in the kitchen and then said goodbye, she was washing something in the sink. he then beckoned to follow him so i did.

 

"where are we going?" his pace was faster than normal. for someone his age, i couldn't keep up with him.

 

"grocery." i've always felt nervous with his one-word answers but remained calm.

 

when we entered a nearby store, grandpa's stiff shoulders relaxed. there were only a few people browsing in the opposite aisle making me feel comfortable enough to let my guard down as well. he smiled as he started picking some greens.

 

"i knew she wasn't a cat." i looked down, embarrassed of my made-up excuse i thought they'd buy. i always feel so transparent under grandpa's eyes. the quiet ones are the observant ones, i learned that from him.

 

"was it obvious?"

 

"not that much, but be careful. i saw you leave with her this morning, which means that could be your grandma anytime. i'm okay with you having friends as long as you're happy but grandma? i'm not that sure. anyway, she's beautiful, huh? when did you two meet?" and i thought i was sneaky.

 

"i-uhm, she-she helped me one time when i was getting bullied again. then i don't know, we spend almost every lunch, she tells me stories, she took care of me when i got these bruises, and sometimes she walks home with me but stops two blocks away. it's like she knows that i can't be seen with her." i didn't mean to word-vomit that time but i couldn't help it.

 

"...okay. does she know about your eye?"

 

"i didn't tell her. i couldn't, i don't want to scare her." grandpa looked directly to my eye(s) and asked the question i've been denial to.

 

"how's your eye?" i looked away, i felt sweat starting to trickle down my head.

 

"saku..."

 

"i'm sorry i didn't tell you earlier. it cracked and i think there's a small bud under it? but don't worry, papa, i can prevent it." he was quiet, probably absorbing what i just admitted to him.

 

there's no way i can hide anything from him. plus, it's better that at least one person knows than no one. as long as grandma won't find out, i'll be okay.

 

"what's your plan?" he said when we got out

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter