Chapter 8:

IDOL

Friday had always been our favorite day of the week. Not only was it a night away from the weekend, it was also Arts and Club day, which meant there were no basic education subjects. It was a day dedicated solely to the expansion of whichever artform we loved. There was P.E in the mornings, but it was always something to look forward to since the rivalries between classes were always more apparent. Some headmaster from long ago decided that P.E classes were all to be taken during Fridays as a batch activity. Since the school population had always been minimal, it was supposed to instill competetiveness not between sections, but towards the other less Art oriented schools. I suppose it should go without saying, that as an Art School, we are predispositioned to at sports, and with the Annual Interschool Sports meet coming up this Summer, our ever so dear P.E Instructors were hard at work drilling us to the ground. IDOL has never won a Sports Cup within the last ten years, but that shouldn't really come of as a surprise.


This year we had Track and Field as our P.E. We still had the usual ball sports and what have you, but let's just say that while the students here were fairly competent dancers in their own rights, their other attributes simply did not lie towards the other areas of the spider web graph of sports aptitude.


To foster a healthy competitive nature, classes were set to compete against each other in every single thing. Even Physical Education Class, and that was what we were doing at this very instant. To prepare for the Sports Meet, we would meet like this every Friday, and some weekends for the official players. Me? I'm more of a support type of character, and that was exactly what Taec and I, the class B representatives for First Aid, were doing on the sidelines. Watching our classmates try not to get hurt while Taec babbled on about his upcoming clan reunion. Our school nurse, Jung Joori, was sitting with us and she was very blatantly enjoying the view. You could say it was one motivation to not get injured.


Omo, be careful!” she called out to the boys of our class. Not that she favored us, at least not that I was aware of.


Taec was, not surprisingly, looking over to the other side of the track where Class A was- specifically, where Yoona was. She really was just standing there looking pretty like she always did while the rest of them...did the same things.


I sighed, looking over to our class who were in the midst of dividing into groups for a relay match. I stood up and dragged Taec by the shirt towards them.


Okay, team leaders, Chansung and Kwon, choose your members,” our instructor, Lee Seugeun said, pointing his meter stick towards us. I doubted there was an actual game plan today since most of the time we really just played around. Yes, we have a really pathetic P.E system. It didn't really matter which boys went where, it would always be a fierce competition between them. Iit was always the battle to get which girls that was harsh. Already Min and Jia were on Chansung's team, and Suzy and Fei were with Kwon. There were going to be eleven members in each group, and since Chansung got to pick first, it was safe to say he was going to get more guys than girls, to this Kwon could only arch his brows in protest. I was on Chansung's team, by the way. Along with my lunch table crew.


Today we were going to go through an obstacle course similar to what we would be going through in the actual sports meet. Why they even had this course, I never found out. It was fun though, I give them that.


The track involved running through a series of obstacles that were to allegedly test your speed, flexibility, agility, power, and stamina. We were all going to be timed, and whichever team gets the shortest average time gets a special award, or so Mr. Seugeun says. Now, just how effective this positive reinforcement was remained to be seen as the first person took his spot on the starting line.


Chansung assumed his position on the starting block, crouching low enough and adjusting his feet on the footplates rigidly assembled onto the oval. Concentration was apparent in his eyes, and while we weren't natural athletes, Chansung was probably one of the more athletic guys in our class, and that had garnered him a fair share of attention from the girls. Sohee in particular, as she gushed nonstop over him on the sidelines. And as one would expect, the Miss A girls were mocking her as she jumped up and down calling out Chansung's name over and over again to cheer him on. Personally, I think Sohee's just distracting him, and not in the good way.


Sohee, shut up, you're doing this on purpose to make us lose!” Jia whined, walking over to our side of the track.


You're just pissed because Chansung didn't pick you to be on our team,” Min added.


Sohee flipped her hair and gave them the evil eye, arching one perfectly shaped brow and curling her lips into a Sohee-fied snarl. “Shut up, he didn't choose me to be in his team because he didn't want to it to be obvious that he likes me too!”


May I bang my head on a literal desk?


The sound of the starting horn directed all our attention back to Chansung who sprinted across the track and straight onto the first obstacle which was a short set of hurdles followed by a the obligatory inner tube obstacle. The next set involved scaling a wall and a ladder before finally ending with crawling under a rope net and ending everything with jumping through holes on an inflatable tube.


This looked more like a military training exercise course than a P.E physical fitness test.


By the end of the morning we were all drained, but on the plus side, our team won, and the gloating never stops. Especially during lunch period.


We owned Team Kwon today!” Taec exclaimed with a fist pump.


Taec, you fell flat on your face on the inner tubes, and your feet got caught on the nets, you're not one to gloat.” Minji retorted, taking her position next to me. Taec was on my other side, and I had a feeling I was going to get caught in the crossfire.


Junho and Jay had already started eating, and I focused on them instead. They were both in Park Namyong's choreography class, and from what I've heard, they were in tight rivalry with each other and with Wooyoung, solely considering the members in dance from our class. For the whole batch however, well, there really was no question there, as Dong Youngbae made his entrance with the rest of Big Bang and 3C scattered behind him.


Dong Youngbae was the other heir, or as some kids liked to call him, the Fallen Heir. He was a trouble-maker and like Jay, he was a master on the dance floor, but his main advantage was the fact that he was untouchable. Not even the girls in IDOL dared to ask him out; rumor has it that he was dating a girl named Ahn Eunbyul from an All Girl's School in the same district, but the rumors are still, as of the moment unconfirmed. Well, maybe not all the girls shied away from vying for his attention. There was one girl who dared to actually try to catch his interest, and her name was Dara Park.


Dara was this pretty girl who had a tendency to act a little too...eccentric for my tastes. She was cute and all, but...maybe a little too crazy? She bounced her way to Youngbae with that wide smile on her face, or at least, it was Youngbae she had meant to link arms with. But for some odd reason only Dara's vision fail could ever explain, her arms had landed onto Seunghyun's, and based on prior experience, there was only one expected outcome.


Here's a word of advice from someone who has been in a class with Choi Seunghyun since first year. Do Not Ever Touch him. Ever. You just don't, no further questions asked.


Before Seunghyun could even fling his arm and shove Dara away, Daesung and Seungri had already come to the rescue, pulling the girl away and restraining the resident Bad Boy. I couldn't see Dara's face, but I was betting on a look of fear to counter Seunghyun's look of pure indignation.


Well, can't say she didn't deserve that,” I heard Minji say from next to me.


Well, Choi Seunghyun can't act that way towards girls,” Taec countered. And so another round of Taec vs. Minji followed.


I inched my way from my seat in between the two of them and moved to Taec's other side next to Jay. He was still on his iPod, and there were bags under his eyes- he was awfully quiet all morning too.


Didn't get enough sleep?” I asked, attempting a conversation. I knew he heard me with the way his eyes shifted momentarily towards me.


None of your business.” Was his reply.


I sighed, no point pushing the matter if Jay was going to be all diva like today. Maybe I should have moved over to Junho's side instead? Then again, with the way he was concentrating over that book of his...I was probably better of starting conversation behind me where 2AM was.


Any leads on Ahn Eunbyul?” I asked Seulong who sat behind me. He was busy with his reporter's pad so I knew something was up.


Nope, still no news on phantom GF,” he replied without looking up from his notepad. “Anyway, are you guys done with the gloating? Jinwoon is still in the clinic. Wanna come with and visit? I'm afraid of what Nurse Joori is capable of. Anyway, a few other girls are there too so this should be fun.”


Seulong was right. It was fun. Sohee, Yeeun, and Suzy all had minor scratches on their legs from their falls earlier today, and were seated on stools clutching their knees to their chests as Nurse Joori haphazardly applied the disinfectant on the wounds.


Yah, are you girls five years old? It's not painful so stop acting cute in front of the boys!”


By the boys, she meant Changmin and Chansung who had helped them here. Jia stood to one side, and Jinwoon was on the cot, holding an ice pack against his head.


Omona, are you feeling better?” Nurse Joori cooed, walking over to Jinwoon. She gently took the icepack from him and started dabbing some disinfectant on Jinwoon's head. It wasn't anything serious, but he did fall on his face too. Amazing how Taec came out unscathed when he had more falls and accidents than Jinwoon.


Omo, look at this wound!”


I feel bad for Jinwoon, and it's not because of his injury that’s not really an injury,” Jia whispered, suddenly behind me.


I nodded at her. Poor Jinwoon indeed.


You're coming next weekend right?” she asked, and I turned to her. Seulong did the same, and looked expectantly at me.


Was I going to the party next weekend? I suppose I didn't really have a choice in the matter. “Yeah, it's Wooyoung's birthday that night too. He's crashing again isn't he?”


As always,” Jia smiled.


I smiled back at her and turned to Seulong. “Anyway, I need to get to class. So I'll see you guys later.”


I made my exit and walked back to our classroom to get my things for this afternoon's writing exercises. Unlike the others who had club activities to attend to, I preferred to use this time to catch up on a few things I was working on. Sometimes I would invade different clubs, I was always welcome after all, but today, all I wanted to do was write.


With that goal in mind, I made my way up to the fire escape, my little escape from the chaos that is IDOL-MIAS. Before I turned the corner to the staircase however, my plans suddenly had a change in destination as I saw Min walking towards me, intent clear in her eyes and gait.


I need your help,” she said, almost desperately, her hands clutching at the sleeves of my blouse.


I stared at her, unsure of what she needed my help with.


Please? You're the only one that can help me!” she pleaded.


Left without a choice in the matter, I nodded my head at her, and a relieved smile flashed across her face. “Thank you so much! I promise I'll make it up to you!”


And with that, Lee Minyoung dragged me towards the other side of the building to where the ballet studios were located to fill me in on what exactly it was she needed my help with.