Chapter 17:

IDOL

 

“So how's rooming with Min?” I asked Minji the question as we walked out into the open area after breakfast. I realized I never got to ask her that in my it induced momentary lapse of sanity.


Minji merely shrugged at me. “It's okay. She's nice, she's like a hyped up version of you.” A hyped up version of me? That was unexpected.


“No seriously,” Minji continued, “If you were shorter and noisier, and sang and danced better you'd be Min. It's a disease I tell you. Being too likable. You, Min, and Khun should form some society.”


Was I supposed to thank Minji?


“Yeah, but where were you? You missed the Sohee-Suzy altercation.”


“Altercation?” I repeated, admittedly amused. “You've been hanging out with Taec too much.” This earned me a not-so-little nudge from Minji. “What happened?”


She smiled, and it actually freaked me out just a little bit. “At first there was nothing. They just continued to ignore each other like the usual, but then Sohee started going hysterical, and Suzy was her usual robot self, and it was all popcorn moments from there.”


I shook my head and looked at Sohee and Suzy at opposite ends of the crowd. “Why?” I asked, “I mean, what happened?”


Minji shrugged. “I was hoping you knew. You and Ong are the class PIs, I went to go find you in your room or theirs, but you were already gone. Where were you?”


I had thought she would have dropped the question by now. I shook my head again, wanting to dismiss the issue- it wasn't really even an issue. “I went down early. I don't know. Just felt like it.”


“You know, you have a lot of questions to answer later tonight. Junho didn't look too good on the bus today.”


I heard the warning in her voice and I stopped walking. “What are you talking about?” Honestly, I think I like Minji better asleep. I quickened my pace, almost jogging down to the open space, but Minji followed me just as easily, that creepy smile still on her face. Did- did they see that not-so-little situation with Jay this morning? And why drag Junho into this? I would think it would be more of a Taec matter, but Junho? Ugh. I could feel the beginnings of a headache. I gave Minji a pointed look, but she just shrugged in return. Why was she awake again?


“You've got a lot of explaining to do girly. I've got to hand it to you, I actually regretted sleeping in the bus this morning, but don't worry, I'll be awake this time. You can count on it.”


I blinked at her. Was I about to run and forever fear for my life? Melodramatic, yes, but this was Minji we're talking about. Minji was never this awake and lucid at this time of the morning. It wasn't even 9am yet. I decided to just ignore and her accusations, and her other unfounded implications to focus on the morning activities. We grouped together by class as usual, and all three groups clumped together almost automatically in our usual morning assembly formations.


The advisers were all up front with the other teachers, and Ian stepped up front with a few sheets of paper in his hands. “For the whole of our stay here, you will be divided into eight groups with eight members each.”


Curious whispering and groans erupted from the crowd as Ian spoke. Was it really a good idea to split us up? What was going to happen anyway? Eight teachers stepped up next to Ian, each with a sheet of paper in their hands as well. Sir Jungmo was the first to speak.


“First team, led by me and Jiyeon: Leeteuk, Taeyeon, Changmin, Sunye, Jiyoung, Chaerin, Seungho, and Boram. All of you single file.”


“Next team.” Park Namyong and Mai Tran were both in front. Really, a choreographer team-up? “Junho, Hyoyeon, Eunhyuk, Taeyang, Eunjung, Doojoon, and Minji.”


There was an awkward silence for a moment as the top dancers of the year queued in front of Mai and Namyong. Ms. Tran nodded her head as she counted off her team-  they were missing one member.


“Minji, both Minjis,” she said, looking over at our direction.


I gave Minji a nudge, and she stared wide-eyed at me, was she panicking? Minji, Seo Minji, panic? She reluctantly dragged her feet towards the lines, scowling all the way. She finally settled next to Junho, crossing her arms on her chest, huffing. Did the team leaders actually pick out their members, or was everything random?


The third team was with Ms. Fuu, the Graphics Design teacher and another volunteer, Jung Yunho. It seemed as if a lot of alumni came to volunteer. Jinwoon, Chansung, Sohee, Suzy, Seohyun, Kyuhyun, Seungri, and Jiyeon, were her chosen team members.


Fourth team under Mr. Jung and Ms. Ami, were Taecyeon, Khun, Yoona, Victoria, Junsu, Fei, Byunghee, and Jihyun. Need I say it? Taec was ecstatic. He bounced towards the end of the line, already assuming that they were to be filed by height. At least some of the girls were civil towards each other. But seriously, a...couple group? This spelled disaster all over it.


The next team was under Yoon Eunhye and Kim Hyunjoong: Yeeun, Bom, Sunny, Injung, Joon, Ryeowook, Sungmin, and Donghae. Team number six was under Ms. Narsha and Jang Geunseuk: Shindong, Jessica, Jay, Kwon, Min, Daesung, Hyomin, and Dara. It was a very random team, yet it made sense, if only Jessica wasn't making googly eyes at Jay, already attaching herself to his side. I met Minji's eyes, and she gave me a full eye-roll, sticking her finger inside and gagging.


Team seven was under Ms. Kass and Kim Jaejoong: Hyerim, Hwayoung, Sooyoung, Jia, Mir, Siwon, Heechul, and Dara’s twin brother Cheondoong.


I looked around me, and what was left of us was team eight. I immediately felt a weight on my shoulders, and I found Seulong with his arm around me. Wooyoung was there too, so were Yoobin, Tiffany, Yuri, Seunghyun, and Yesung.


“I guess you're on my team.” Ian smiling, was the best thing to ever happen that morning. It meant he wasn't angry enough to be in a foul mood all day. Of course, good things never lasted for long, for not soon after, it came walking by.


Did the heavens have something against me? Did they really have to unload this thing on me? Was it really so bad wanting to know about Wooyoung's situation, or wanting to castrate Jay for his shamelessness, or wanting to know why Minji was so curious about what Junho was going to say about whatever this night? Was it really that bad to be as curious as I was? If so, then I am completely shutting up and leaving everyone alone- okay, no. But that's not the point right now. Ian rounded his team together and we huddled in the middle of the open area.


“We need a base,” he said, awfully giddy for someone who was supposed to be our class adviser.


“Sir, what exactly are we doing?” Yoobin asked, walking past me, and I was pretty sure she meant it when she elbowed me on the ribs too. I felt my brow and the corner of my lips quirk. So much for Yoobin being a nice girl.


We walked over towards a large tree and Ian gestured for us to take a seat. He and Renn sat together on a fallen branch while the others found a rock to sit on. I, however, ran out of rocks, until Ian tapped the empty space next to him on the branch. Gingerly, I took the seat next to him and waited for the rest of the conversation to continue.


Yoobin propped her chin on the palms of her hands and stared up dramatically at Ian. Why can't she just like Mr. Jung instead? I mean, sure he looks like a dork with his thick and heavy frames, and clothes sizes larger than appropriate, and it would do the world a lot of good if he didn't slouch, but he was smart and really funny. Unfortunately, Ian was the affirmative of all of the above and more.


“We're not gonna do something really cheesy are we?” Seulong asked.


Ian laughed and shook his head. He was very relaxed, maybe it had to do with him wearing regular clothes. “Well, I'd like to say that this is really just it, but sadly, there are things we need to accomplish.”


“Like what?” Wooyoung asked, looking up. He sat on one of the rocks, elbows resting on his knees, wearing his favorite yellow, red, and green cap. I think Taec gave it to him as a birthday present back in first year.


“Capture the flag.”


We all looked at Ian, eyes wide and jaws dramatically open. Yes, for Seulong, and I, we were being overly dramatic. Catch the flag? With eight teams? How was that going to work? And how exactly was that going to 'foster interclass relations'? I mean, sure, Taec and Yoona were on the same team, as with Jay and Plastic Barbie #1, same with Khun and Victoria, although the latter two weren't exactly to Jay and Khun's advantage.


I raised my hand. “I have a question.”


Ian nodded at me to ask away.


“Well, several actually. One, how does one play capture the flag with eight teams? Two, how does this foster interclass relations? Three, what life lesson is this supposed to teach us? Four, who picked team members? Five-”


Ian cut me off with his hand in my face. “To answer your question, I handpicked my members, same goes for the other teams, as for life lessons and interclass relations, you'll see.” He smiled and bounced a little bit on his seat. He was...very happy. “To explain the mechanics on the game, let's start with our officials, Mr. Lee Seugeun, and our head teacher Mr. Danny Ahn are going to be the judges for this round.”


“There's another round?” Tiffany asked, flipping her hair over her shoulder. Did every other girl have a crush on Ian?!


Ian nodded again. “Round one is this morning, another one this afternoon, and maybe another one tonight after lights-out.”


After lights-out? That definitely caught everyone's attention. All eight of us leaned forward to listen intently. I admit, I was a little interested in this game, even more so since Ian handpicked me to be a member of his team.


“We have eight teams, that means eight flags, but the team with the most flags don't necessarily win, but an enemy flag does buy you access to the main goal, the flag the head teachers are holding. We don't exactly know where it is yet. In a few minutes, Mr. Danny should be coming around to mark our base and give us our flag. We have eight members, that's not enough for scouts and guards, which is why...” Ian paused dramatically, and we all leaned in closer. “We team up with another group and relocate base.”


If you're thinking theatrical gasping, you got it. This...this was a gambit waiting to happen. There were already too many ways this game could play out. “Is that even legal?” I asked.


“Who cares? It's a plan,” Seulong interjected, and I answered with a sneer.


“Teams without a flag are out, and we can't take over a base if we don't have one of our own. Do we capture a base and claim them as ours and work with them, or do we throw them out?” Yesung asked.


“We can choose what to do with the team we capture. Think of it this way, we are untouchable inside our own base, and if it happens that a captured base is closer to the target, then we can use that to our advantage. It all depends on our strategy.”


“So what's our strategy?” Yuri asked.


“Strategy? What's the prize?” Everyone turned to Wooyoung, he had a very good point. What was the prize? Everyone turned to Ian expectantly anticipating his answer, and our team leader leaned even further towards us.


“Winners get to skip the after school program on Tuesday.”


A loud cackle of collective cheering erupted from our group just as you would expect. Was Ian serious? Were we really given a free cut this Tuesday? We were already given the Monday off, but going home early that Tuesday was just...well, lets just say that any and all free days we like. We all looked each other in the eyes, determination gleaming in each of our gazes. This was war now, and whether we were willing to share this prize or not, now depended on what could possibly be laid out on the table. Ian was right, this was going to be fun.


“Okay, Renn, Wooyoung, and Yesung are the camp guards, Yuri and Tiffany work on distraction, public relations, and negotiations.” Then Ian turned to Seulong and me. “You two are the best scouts in your whole year, I need you two to go on a recon mission and try to map where the other teams are based and who's guarding. I'll work on finding where the target flag is, Seunghyun you come with me and try to capture prisoners. A bell will ring throughout the area to alert us all that the games have begun. I want no complications, understood?”


The game was on with one final nod from Ian.

 



 

In case you get confused, I'm going to put up a class list for each class, for now, we'll play guess that idol? LOL

 

In short: Class A - Super Junior (minus Kibum, Hangeng, Kangin, Henry, and Zhoumi) SNSD, and Victoria

 

Class B - 2AM, 2PM, Wonder Girls, Miss A, Seo Minji, narrator

 

Class C - Big Bang, 2NE1, MBLAQ, T-ara, Doojoon from Beast