Chapter 20:

IDOL

By the end of the afternoon the whole year had more or less been segregated into our original sections. It appeared that all of us were thinking the same thing: catch our classmates and leave the rest in jail. Or at least, that was the plan. So far, we've managed to disband Ms. Ami and Mr. Jung's group taking in both teachers, Fei and Junsu, and Taec who grumbled his way back into our base. He didn't like being separated from Yoona, though the latter didn't actually pay any attention to him. We lost Yuri and Yesung to the Leader Team, though they honestly weren't much of a loss to us.

 

I sat with Wooyoung while we both waited for the rest of our team to arrive. We were in danger now, because while our base was at a strategic spot, both Yuri and Yesung knew exactly how to attack us, and that made us very vulnerable, especially since the Leader Team was a strategy team. 3C was another threat, though they didn't play by strategy, they played by brawns, and losing Seunghyun to them was a big blow to our group. Losing him literally crippled our defenses.

 

Only a very few groups remained intact, and that was Mai Tran and Park Namyong's group and Ms. Narsha and Geunseuk-oppa's group, and that was saying a lot since the latter group we expected to fall out even before the games officially began. Seulong and Ian both had eyes to retrieving Junho and Minji, and Khun was still trapped with Victoria- er, I mean in the free-for-all jail. We needed the rest of our team to get the prize for the class, and it would be terribly unfair if there were members we weren't able to save. But being where I was, there really wasn't much that I could do. I was stuck here, unable to run without limping or falling to the ground, I couldn't even defend our own base camp.

 

Wooyoung, Taec, Changmin, Sunye, Yeeun, and Fei were guards with me while Seulong, Chansung, Jinwoon, Junsu, Sohee, Jia, Sohee, Suzy, and Yoobin were working on catching the flag and retrieving the remaining members of our team. It was already the night round, the last one before dinner time, and everyone was in a rush to find the main flag. No one still knew where it was, and that made this game all the more harder. Ian gave the flag responsibility to Chansung, Jinwoon, Jia and Suzy, while the others had to work on saving our members- Ian knew our class very well, we all acknowledged that.

 

During lunch today, the teachers revealed a little more about the flag we needed to capture. The head teacher Danny Ahn, Nurse Joori, and a few second years were guarding it. We didn't see which second years it were, but we did see another IDOL bus arrive this morning aside from the ones we came in. That was the only real clue we had, and it wasn't even very helpful.

 

So,” I started, glancing furtively at Wooyoung, I actually didn't know what to say, but it was worth a shot, right?

 

Yeah?”

 

Uhm...I'm sorry you're stuck with me?” It wasn't the best approach, but it was better than no approach. I was itching to ask him what the trouble with him was- why he was almost not allowed on the trip, but that would be too straightforward, and that would only cause him to clam up. The best approach was to strike up a conversation and try to get closer to him. Once I've breached the first level of security, I can begin dropping mentions of this trip, and hopefully that would get him to open up to me.

 

Wooyoung simply shrugged and leaned his elbows on his knees. I studied him from where I sat. It was impolite to stare, I know, but that's not really the issue right now. When I had first met Wooyoung back in first year, he had this really cute bowl cut with his bangs on his face, he grew it out in second year until his bangs covered his eyes, and now that he had his hair trimmed again, I wasn't really sure what to think. He had it cut short, almost like a crew cut, and he pushed the front fringe back and up. He looked so much more mature than he acts- he even lost a lot of the baby fat in his cheeks too. Was he handsome? Yes he was, but his jokester attitude often diverted people's attention from that fact.

 

Truth is, other than that fact, I knew nothing more about him.

 

 

No one managed to capture the flag. No one even came close to figuring out where it was. Dinner rolled by, and we all gathered around the open lawn, where a large bonfire was set up. The smell of barbecued meat was filling the night air, and I would admit to liking that scent very much.

 

Everyone was disappointed and no one was hiding that fact. Though all teams managed to re-segregate into our original sections, some stragglers were still left behind. Since no one caught the flag, it didn't seem to matter anymore. Interesting observation though: no one sat by section anymore. In this relaxed atmosphere, all the tables were put together, and all 62 of us sat together in no particular order.

 

Maybe it didn't matter if there was a flag or not.

 

Danny Ahn, our head teacher stood up, and we all turned our attention to him. “As we all know, no one caught the flag our second year volunteers had so vigilantly guarded.” He pointed behind him, and five juniors appeared, carrying the large main flag. I recognized them all: Lee Jinki, Kim Jonghyun, Kim Kibum, Choi Minho, and Lee Taemin. “I guess we have no choice but to all give you Tuesday afternoon off.”

 

Loud cheering erupted from the table, the C's were especially rambunctious, but that was to be expected. I turned next to me to exchange high-fives with my seat-mates Wooyoung and Junho, but both were busy with their other seat-mates, and I have to admit to feeling just a little bit ignored. Until someone kicks my foot from under the table, and I'm wanting to bang my head against a wall.

 

Yo, wanna go out with me Tuesday?”

 

I rolled my eyes. “No Jay, I'm busy.”

 

Hey! We have the day off, how are you busy?”

 

Good thing Jay was very easily distracted, when the food was declared ready, he was one of the first ones off to the grill to procure his share. It staggered me how shameless he was. It was as if he was all too comfortable with our class, almost as if he spent the last two years with us as well.

 

After our highly chaotic dinner, where everyone was suddenly friends and laughing out loud and throwing jokes around, the second years suddenly ran up to the middle of the open area, just in front of the large bonfire, where a low platform was built.

 

Hi!” Jinki said, always as enthusiastic as ever. “We were told to prepare something, so, we're going to perform. Hope you, our dear seniors, enjoy it!”

 

Taemin brought up a battery-operated stereo. He put it down on the floor, pressed the play button and quickly joined the others in formation. A slow R&B/Pop beat started the track, and when they started dancing, even the teachers cheered when the boys started bouncing in place.

 

Noona you are so pretty,

All the guys can’t leave you alone

 

There was even more loud cheering when Jonghyun started singing, and I thought my ears were going to fall out as soon as they reached the chorus of the song.

 

Noona you are so beautiful

(Looking at you) I go crazy

(But now I am tired)

replay, replay, replay

Memories swipe at my heart

(It hurts), when will my feelings be fixed

(The ever drawing day of good bye)

replay, replay, replay

 

Even I found myself flushing as they continued performing. It was as if there was some kind of spell in the song that would have any girl melting. Add the smooth choreography and the suave vocals, no one was going to be immune from their charms. I snuck a glance towards the teachers, and even Mai Tran was smiling. She was smiling. Ms. Jiyeon we all understood why she would, she wasn't like Ms. Mai who was just...different. By the second chorus of the song, each junior stepped off the stage and approached the audience. Taemin made his way to Victoria and pulled her to the middle of the stage where she clasped her hands by her face, blushing and acting all cute. Know that I have nothing against her. Again, I couldn't help but look around me- I was sure there were girls just disappointed that the boys didn't choose them. That no one was singing how pretty they were.

 

I rolled my eyes.

 

When the boys finished singing, the stage wasn't kept waiting for long. Somewhere in the middle of the juniors' performance, someone had managed to run back to the main building, grab an extension cord and speakers, and plugged everything in. Well. We are art school students. It's a given we like the stage. Or at least, they do.

 

It was the girls of 3A that were on stage first; Girl's Generation was what they liked to call themselves. The boys were instantly cheering as the girls fell into formation, Taeyeon and Yoona in front as usual. Taec was ecstatic, as expected, and he made no effort to hide that at all.

 

When they started singing “Tell me your wish” I just knew that Taec was going to die of a heart attack some time soon. Behind me, I saw Miss A and the Wonder Girls making gagging sounds and unflattering imitations of the 3A girls while the 3C girls were openly making fun of them. It was a good thing the teachers were too engrossed with the performance.

 

Personally, I wasn't too impressed myself.

 

I was expecting Miss A or the Wonder Girls to try and upstage them, but they just sat there after Girl's Generation finished. It was the boys of 3B that followed. I was almost too afraid to watch. Not that they weren't any good, just that when the 3B boys performed, they dragged everyone into it.

 

Plus, Taec always insisted that he sing or rap.

 

I leaned back into my seat, already amused with how they tried to position themselves on the small platform. That was when I noticed it. Jay wasn't there.

 

When the boys were finally satisfied with how they were lined up, Taec gave the audience his signature toothy grin, and as if he were holding a mic, he made a fist and put it under his nose. He was actually going to open the performance. I braced myself in fear.

 

Like this y'all to the break of dawn, can you feel me, everybody come on!”

 

I buried my face in my hands out of second hand embarrassment, and as with all horror movies, I peeked right through my fingers as Seulong stepped forward and repeated Taec's lines.

 

Chansung followed with a much more well done rap, and surprise surprise, Jinwoon was rapping too. It was when Khun started singing that the real cheering started. Wooyoung followed, his voice cracking, then Junho hitting the high notes just right. It was Junsu, Changmin and Kwon that was the highlight of the song. I was pretty sure there was some set choreography to the song, but with Junsu constantly making mistakes and Taec just flailing around, I was suddenly unsure if this was even a prepared number from some time ago.

 

According to them, 3B was the place to be, and I couldn't agree more.

 

They fell off the stage cheering each other, possibly louder than the crowd had been. I turned to Jay, who turned to me, and I froze. With a playful smirk on his face he winked at me again and stood up. I recognized that swagger, and when he stood on stage, the crowd was silent.

 

So, yeah. I guess since all the guys performed, I should too. Kinda like some initiation.” he said.

 

All eyes were on him. On stage, Jay carried this kind of radiance that just compelled you to look at him. It was as if you had no choice but to gravitate towards him. Even when there was no spotlight, it was almost as if was under one. He didn't have a track prepared, but Jay looked more confident than ever.

 

Every time I'm with yah, baby I laugh a lot

Such great humor and on top of that, damn you're hot

Every cat be staring at you whenever you passed the block

You're so fly, you be chilling with them astronauts

You can never be tamed ever get married it better be Jay

Didn't know by now well I said it today

Because you're perfect in every way everyday

More than just a girl you're by my side through my vendettas

Soulmates in this jail of love and we're doing life together

 

Jay. How cheesy can you get. I'd hate to think he heard that, because he suddenly turned to my direction, and rightly so I looked away.

 

He wasn't actually singing...to me...was he?

 

Of course not. Jay was just being Jay.

 

He disappeared into the back when he was done, no doubt the rest of 3B was glomping him, and Taec was fanboying like no other. Even with the alumni in front performing- Jaejoong-oppa's friends came by and started an impromptu a cappella number, I couldn't watch with as much interest as the rest of the girls.

 

Although I was roused from my not so deep contemplating when Ian, Renn and Kass performed. Not so much Kass in there, but the fact that Ian still produced songs with Renn. Renn. Why was even calling it by its name now?

 

Go die in a hole Jay Park. This is all your fault.