Chapter 28:

IDOL

 

 

Usually when there was screaming from the master bedroom I’d go get Ian and stay over at his place for the night, or nights, depending. It wasn’t as if they noticed, or if they did, they didn’t seem to mind- or care. I really couldn’t tell the difference. Tonight, however, it was different, and maybe even special. Tonight it was Jay who was going to take me away from all this.


I was early as always, waiting for him outside, by the gates. I didn’t want to stay inside for any longer. It would only drive me crazy and it might be a prompt for them to ask where I was going. One, I didn’t care for telling them right now (or ever again) and two, I didn’t really know either.


Maybe that’s why my heart was racing.


I smoothed down the pleats of my skirt- something was telling me I should have worn something other than my usual attire, but I didn’t have anything else or time to go shopping for a new one. One, I didn’t exactly like the idea of shopping at such little notice, and two, Jay didn’t need to know he was that special- at least not yet.


Behind me the doors swung open and I froze for a moment, hoping that it wasn’t either of my parents- it wasn’t. It was Ian.


“I can’t stand it in there,” he muttered, adjusting his satchel across his chest and taking the seat next to me on the park bench by our front door.


“Then don’t stay,” I answered flatly.


“I’m not. Let’s go, plus I’m hungry again. Let’s go get something on the way.”


“Uh,” How was I supposed to break the news? “Actually I have somewhere I need to be.”


“Where?” He was raising that brow again and going into teacher mode.


“Minji’s,” I stammered.


“Okay, I’ll take you.”


“Uh, wouldn’t it be bad if they see you?”


Ian thought about it for a moment, and it was a good thing too. At least he bought my Minji story, I could never tell him I was going out with Jay. “Fine,” he sighed.


He left a little after that, and I sighed in relief. I didn’t even realize Ian was still in the house, goes to show how useless it was having that big a mansion. Although, Taec and Minji didn’t seem to have familial issues at all. If anything, I envied them. Minhyuk was nice to Minji, he bullied her all the time, but he was like Ian to me, kinda, in some sense that wasn’t the same.


I didn’t want to think about Ian right then, and when Jay finally arrived, I was all too happy.


“Hey, you okay? You look a little weird.” He asked me the question as soon as I was inside his car. I couldn’t answer immediately because he leaned over and strapped me in.


“My parents were having some fit,” I admitted.


He looked like his understood and laughed a little, “Yeah, same thing at home. Hate that. They should just get a divorce or something.”


I pulled a frown. “I don’t want that. They’re just never in the same place for very long, I think they need some kind of boot camp or something.”


“Yeah,” Jay laughed, “Maybe. Are you ready?”


Whether or not I was didn’t seem to be of importance because he drove off anyway. We stopped by the hotel his parents pretty much owned, and I was anxious for a little bit as he parked the car. It didn’t end there though, Jay was silent as pulled out that pink hoodie of his again, and in no time, I was being dragged around again despite my protestations. There was light conversation, but anything that even vaguely alluded to our destination was waved aside.


Jay got us on a train, and my brain was working on overdrive. I tried not to look at anyone, but when you’re seeing things for the first time it was a little difficult not to stare. I was uncertain for my safety, but Jay puts his arm around me, and he whispers in my ear.


“Don’t worry, just stay close to me.”


It was a district I wasn’t familiar with- a district I didn’t want to be familiar with, and I was suddenly wary of what Jay wanted to do tonight. A series of clubs lined the streets and every corner, and when get got off the station, we were walking towards another underpass- which actually wasn’t.


How Jay even knew of these places I dared not ask or even assumed to know. My eyes were assaulted by lights and differently dyed hair and clothing that didn’t fit, there was a cacophony of sounds, and a less than appetizing smorgasbord of scents.


I clung tighter to the sleeve of his hoodie, and he puts an arm around my waist. “Don’t be scared,” he said, “If you’re with me, no one’s gonna bother you.”


Not only did I believe him, but I was very impressed too.


Very.


“Hey, I remember that thing I was gonna show you?”


I nodded.


When he let go, I felt a surge of panic kick in, but Jay left me by the DJ, and somehow him talking to the guy had me thinking he was assuring my safety. It was sweet in some sick and weird way. After that he was up the stage and the spotlights were all focused on him. I had a feeling this wasn’t the first time, actually, I had this intuition that I knew where all his tardies and absences could be blamed on.


He peeled off his hoodie and threw it aside revealing a set of very muscular arms and things that I thought should have been kept hidden under his shirt. I could deduce as much as a performance from him, I’ve seen him before, but something was telling me tonight was going to be very different.


I was on my way to heaven

but she brought me down with her smile

The scent of her perfume, black leather

One look I traded God for eyes


What do I do, I love her, but she’s a demon

I’ll trade it all, my soul

‘Cause shes a demon


I said I had to let this go

No sense in burning for eternity

That’s when she started grabbing me pulling me

Telling me shes all mine


When he got back to his chorus the crowd was wild cheering him louder than any of the other previous performers. In a sense it was exhilarating, now I understood why the school won’t let him go. This was going to be very useful for the end-of-years.


Fantastic, it wasn’t even the middle of summer and I was already thinking about end-of-years.


Jay wrapped up his performance with several stunts and the crowd went crazy. He was next to me in a moment, and he beamed with pride. “So?”


“You’re very good, we all know that Jay,” He puffed his chest and I laughed. “You wanted me to see this?”


“I wanted you to see me on stage, yeah.”


I rolled my eyes, but instead of his usual response of scratching the back of his head, he took a step closer. Before I realized it, I was trapped between him and a wall. It wasn’t bad, actually.


I even thought that maybe he’d try to kiss me.


Which didn’t happen.


He tried to, of course, but then the people I least expect to make an appearance made an appearance, and there Seunghyun was in some fist fight with Jay. It was broken up just as easily as it had begun. Jiyong and the others didn’t even have to do anything because some men came in and pretty much threw us out.


As usual I didn’t have a say on anything, and so, Seunghyun was shoving an extra helmet into my hands and the next thing I knew, I was in front of Ian’s apartment.


This is where things get interesting. As soon as Seunghyun parked his bike, I engaged him in a minute long staring battle. “What do you think you’re doing?”


He rolled his eyes and wiped some blood off his lips. “A favor?”


“Why’d you bring me here?” He didn’t answer, and I had a feeling I knew why. “Did Ian sign you up for this? Is this what this is about?” He didn’t answer again. How’d he even know I was there?”


“He didn’t. I saw you come in with Jay, and I told him.”


“You told him?!”


“Look,”


“No. You know what? Forget it.” I turned around, but whirled back again, “No, you wait for me here, understand?!” he nodded and I stormed into Ian’s apartment.


Dear Mr. Choe was sitting on his chair as usual, clicking things with his mouse and looking like he has absolutely nothing to do with the incident just a few minutes ago. “You, will you please try not to interfere with my life?”


He looked bored, but stern, if that even made any sense. “I’m just looking out for you.”


“You’re not my dad, okay? And you’re not my brother either. My mom just married your dad, and I think they might get divorced soon. So will you please let me do what I want?”


And with that I left.


Just that I had to demand Seunghyun to take me home.