Chapter 24:

IDOL

 

 

And then I was running. Yes, running, though honestly, I didn’t think that I needed to be running. Still, my better sense was taking over and being late was apparently not very becoming. Last night at around midnight, without me even finding out what Khun was so upset about, Junho had thrown me out of the party. Jay was nowhere to be found, and while I told Junho that I should just wait for Jay, it was very much ignored. Why.


In the end Minji’s brother arrived and became our (me, Junho, Taec, and of course Minji’s) ride home. I thought I was finally free of the Evil Junho’s grasp, but NO. He had to call to remind me again of that damn project and so yes. I now have it done. At the price of not waking up on time.


Hence the running.


It irked me that no one even bothered waking me up. It wasn’t that hard to do. They should have known I had school today and that I had to be there on time. Did they wake me despite this? No. Ugh.


Seunghyun was already reciting his portion of his essay when I barged into the room. Fantastic. Miss Ami just nodded at me and I took a seat to regain my breath.


“I just want to be heard. To become an artist that people listen to, that’s my goal. I want to be able to express myself and let the world hear what I want to say. That’s my reason for writing.”


That was it? I barely had time to catch my breath, and already it was my turn. The confusion of running and getting here left me uncoordinated and in a shock. I had no idea what I was doing. All I saw was Miss Ami’s face, and then my paper. Good luck to me.


“The, uh, part I, I’m going to recite, is, uhm, this...” Looking back I now want to slap myself for being so awkward in front of three people. I was reading a piece out loud, why was I stuttering?


“Writing silences the voices in my head.” I began, “Having endless monologues do that, and what better way than to write it out on paper. Someday, maybe, who knows, I’ll find my voice and share that with the world. Let my thoughts be known, and maybe even stir someone’s emotions.”


I dropped my hand, my fingers barely holding on the sheet of paper. Miss Ami just smiled and dismissed the class. That was it? I watched Seunghyun and G.O leave, and I passed my paper to our teacher, I tried to search out her eyes. I just lied about everything, I was late, and she says nothing? What happened to those drama teachers that know all and tell you that you should be yourself because they’ll help you reach your dreams?


Nothing. In fact, she left the room before me.


This little incident bothered me for the rest of the day. Miss Ami was acting weird. At first she seemed like those tv-drama teachers, but now she was acting like every other teacher we had. Or was I just expecting too much? Did I really expect her to tell me to read my paper over and get back to her when I’ve written something not as half-assed as what I just wrote?


Language. Was I spending too much time with Minji and Jay?


Jay.


I didn’t hear from Jay last night though I did leave him a message. What was wrong with him? Couldn’t he have messaged me back? It wasn’t that hard. All rumors of him leaving with Jessica were immediately thrown to the trash bin. I didn't need that kind of rubbish in my life right now.


The field was uncharacteristically full of people today, what was our main event again? I haven't the faintest clue but over here, by the fire-escape, the view was to die for. Not really, but this was my favorite spot.


Why I was here now I couldn't tell anymore. It just happened? My feet brought me here? Habit? After Miss Ami's class I'd always find myself up here. Thinking, writing, thinking some more. What else was there for me to think about? I could always amuse myself and find a spot in between my classmates and leech off their laughter. I could always pry some more into their lives and pretend like I care when all I really want is some kind of advantage, some kind of ace over them.


I wanted them to think I was better than them. One way or another, I was perfect after all.



Luck was always on my side. For one thing, seeing Khun and the source of his bad mood was not what I was looking for the moment I decided to come down and see what else the Bs were up to. It never occurred to me that Khun's worries would come in the form of the Science student he had been, well, courting, I suppose would be the proper term for it. Though in this case, it was more of Khun and his efforts rather than a two-way mutual agreement thing.


This was new.


He obviously wasn't happy, and her? I couldn't read her at all.


“I was waiting for you last night.” Khun started, looking all cute and cuddly like he usually did.


Girly just stood there unaffected by Prince Charming's charms. This was new, but then again it was bound to happen. It felt like watching an awfully cliché scene from a movie, but I wasn't one to complain. At least not while they didn't see me yet.


“I told you I wasn't coming.”


Khun sighed, “I hoped you were.”


What did they call it? Oh yeah, a pregnant pause. It felt like something big was going to happen, and I was holding my breath like the situation called for.


“I told you, I'm not interested.”


Khun was suitably crushed. It was all over his face the way he was unable to really hide how he felt. In a way, that was his weakness. We all knew what he was thinking or feeling. Unless of course he was more sinister than that and this was all a clever ploy to guilt-trip Girly here into feeling the least bit apologetic.


She waved an awkward hand goodbye before turning the other direction and leaving. Well, I didn't think this was how Khun had imagined it to turn out. He may have considered himself lucky to have all schools in the district over at our campus, but I didn't think this was what he had in mind.


It wasn't what I had in mind either. Not with Nichkhun looking at me.


“You have the weirdest tendency to show up in places you shouldn't be.” he stated.


I walked out of the corner bush I was standing- no I wasn't hiding, behind, “Never on purpose, I assure you.”


“I know about Min, and a few others. You're going to help me.”


I smirked. I was right about Khun. He was a lot more sinister than he let on.



When I found Taec and Minji, they were arguing as usual. I took a seat next to Junho. Surprisingly, Wooyoung was there too. “What are they arguing about now?” I asked.


It was Wooyoung who answered, “Minji has a crush from the all-boys school, Taec found out who.”


Oh. Well, this wasn't news. At all. “You mean Jungshin?” Minji shot me a scathing glare and I stuck my tongue out at her. “It’s not like it’s really a secret. It’s kinda obvious.” I shrugged, then as an afterthought, I added one more thing, “I think.”


“Hey Wooyoung, who are you singing with for the duet thing?” Taec asked all of a sudden.


We all turned to Wooyoung who visibly winced at the question. “Suzy. She already has a song all picked out and everything.”


Junho met my gaze and again I froze. We still haven’t decided on anything.