Chapter 8

Sweet Potassium

            It has been a couple of busy days before Wendy is able to take a break from her bakery business. Stopping has always been the hardest thing to do for her, every day is only well appreciated when you live it to the fullest. The staff at Blue Garden had to force her to go home and take a long vacation before the new year. Now that she has her days off, she feels a little aimless with her free time. The reflection staring right back at her seems to be tired, maybe she really does need a long rest. In another year, she will be 30. Where did all the time go? Wendy wonders.

 

            Goodbye my twenties. It’s the last spurt of youth.

 

            Of course, it didn’t really bother Wendy at all, but one feels compelled to be a little nostalgic when a chapter of their lives is closing. She wonders if she can travel to somewhere fun with her friends. Just a few days ago, all of her close friends came by her bakery and it felt like something unspoken has changed that day. Joohyun unnie seems to be really upset with Jennie. She wanted to ask her Joohyun unnie why, but she pretends to not notice. Jisoo had a melancholic look to her as well. Seulgi is acting rather secretive these days. Wendy pretends to not notice. It’s easier that way. Even if everything is said and done, nothing is guaranteed to be understood after all. In her own way, she prefers to show her love privately.

            Thinking of Seulgi, Wendy recalls the look on Garam’s face because of how much they look alike. She remembers when he held her hands and it felt like he had so many things to say but he chose to say nothing. That day, they walked hand in hand to the station and the warmth in his hands scorches her palm even till now. It felt like they were in love since forever but didn’t know when it had started. But it had ended up being one sided after all. Garam seems to have disappeared since. Did Garam like her or did he not? If everyone had just stop caring about their image and honestly express what they mean for a day, how much simpler would the world be? Wendy ponders at the thought and washes her face. It is almost the new year after all. A new year, a new me. Nothing would change if she doesn’t start with herself. With her new convictions, Wendy begins to text her friends, starting with her Joohyun unnie.


WENDY
Morning!

JOOHYUN BAE
Good morning, Son Seungwan.

WENDY
Joohyun unnie, I told you before. You don’t have to use my full name in texts.

JOOHYUN BAE
Understood, Son Seungwan.

WENDY


JOOHYUN BAE
What’s up?

WENDY
You seemed upset on Monday. Is something wrong?

JOOHYUN BAE
Everything is fine. I was working on getting something but didn’t get it.

WENDY
Can I ask what?

JOOHYUN BAE
No.

WENDY
Will you be alright?

JOOHYUN BAE
I will be once I get it.

WENDY
That’s just super vague. What if you don’t get that… something?

JOOHYUN BAE
I’m definitely getting it. I always get what I want.

WENDY

Why are you so sure though? Nothing in life is ever a sure thing.

JOOHYUN BAE
It is when I’m involved.

WENDY
Okay(?)

JOOHYUN BAE
Is there anything else?

WENDY
I was thinking if all of us can go somewhere as a group. You know, you, me, Seulgi, Joy and Yerimie.

JOOHYUN BAE
That’s a bad idea. I’m already getting a headache from imagining all the chaos from them.

WENDY
Aww, c’mon, it’ll be fun. I can invite other friends too, it won’t always just be Joy and Yerimie wrecking the place up.

JOOHYUN BAE
Like who?

WENDY
Don’t worry, I won’t invite Jennie.

JOOHYUN BAE
Why not?

WENDY
You two don’t get along, right?

JOOHYUN BAE
We get along just fine.

WENDY
It’s okay, you don’t have to force yourself, unnie. Hmm… maybe going on a trip is a bad idea, we can always go when you are feeling more like it.

JOOHYUN BAE
It’s a good idea. I didn’t say it’s a bad idea.

WENDY
You just said it though??

JOOHYUN BAE
Invite someone who’s sensible and mature to come along.

WENDY
Like Rose?

JOOHYUN BAE
No, someone who likes to take care of others.

WENDY
Like Lisa?

JOOHYUN BAE
No, not her. Someone who’s about 163centimetres tall and has slightly chubby cheeks.

WENDY
Huh? Like who? Jennie?

JOOHYUN BAE
Okay, fine. If you feel that strongly about inviting her along then I won’t stop you.

WENDY
Um… okay?

JOOHYUN BAE
Good. Let’s go to Jeju during the Lunar New Year long weekend.

WENDY
Okay, I’ll inform the girls.

JOOHYUN BAE
Anything else?

WENDY
No, I’m just checking in to see if you’re okay.

JOOHYUN BAE
Okay, your concern is noted and received. Goodbye, Son Seungwan.

WENDY
…unnie, you don’t have to say my full name or say bye in texts.

JOOHYUN BAE
Understood, Son Seungwan.


            Wendy perks up at the unexpected enthusiasm from her Joohyun unnie and starts to text her next target.


WENDY
Are my messages getting through?

JICHU
?
Yes?

WENDY
Oh good, I’m just checking with you cause you’re my wi-fi.

JICHU
What do you mean?

WENDY
Cause we seem to have such great connection~
 💙 💙 💙

 

JICHU
What the…

WENDY
You know how I always know where you are?

JICHU
How?

WENDY
Cause you’re my hotspot.
💙 💙

JICHU
Okay, enough. That’s just too much.

WENDY
Aw.

JICHU
Okay, just one more then.

WENDY
Oh sorry, there was a typo.

JICHU
Really? Where?

WENDY
It’s not spelt my wi-fi. It’s  W-I-F-E~
💙

JICHU

Gross.
More, please.

WENDY
Can you give me your wi-fi password?

JICHU
Why?

WENDY
So I can connect to you every time you’re around~
💙

JICHU


WENDY
Anyway… when are we going to sea world?

JICHU
Is that decided? Are you going to pick me over Garam?

WENDY
Of course, I’m not gonna pick a guy who doesn’t text me back.

JICHU
Do you always flirt with your friends?

WENDY
Not really, just the ones that ask me out.

JICHU
Like Joy?

WENDY
I don’t think she asked me out before though?

JICHU
Yerimie and the gang said that you friend zoned her years ago.

WENDY
Really? Did that happen?

JICHU
I don’t know. I only heard it from the gals.

WENDY
I did recall Joy asking me if I wanted to have dinner on some day.

JICHU
What did you say?

WENDY
I told her that I have dinner every day. Not just that day.

JICHU
Oh.

WENDY
What?
Oh.
OHH!

JICHU
Wendy, you’re kind of dense when it comes to picking up signs, huh.

WENDY
That’s not fair. It only happened that one time with Joy.

JICHU
Are you sure there’s no one else interested in you?

WENDY
Pretty sure.

JICHU
Mmhmm.

WENDY
What’s with that response? You know something I don’t?

JICHU
Nope.

WENDY
Oh, you’re referring to yourself right? I did pick up your signs though.

JICHU
Wow. Okay. Seulgi and you are kind of dumb.

WENDY
Why did you mention Seulgi though? Is someone interested in her?

JICHU
Nevermind, dummy.
Hey, Wendy?

WENDY
Yeah?

JICHU
Will you tell me if things ever got serious?

WENDY
Of course. What’s with that question?

JICHU
My friend of a friend dated a friend and she got too emotionally involved. Now she’s worried that things won’t go back to normal and she’s been avoiding her.

WENDY
Oh that sounds terrible.

JICHU
Hmm… technically, they didn’t date. They were friends with benefits but things got out of hand.

WENDY
Oh… sounds dicey.

JICHU
What do you think she should do?

WENDY
Distance herself? Take a few months off and see where it goes?

JICHU
What if that’s not an option? Like they have mutual friends and all of them are close knitted?

WENDY
Hmm… not sure. If it were me, I would probably distract myself. Find a new hobby or maybe date a new person?

JICHU
Oh… I see...

WENDY
You should stay out of it though. Nobody knows what really went down in a private relationship.

JICHU
Mmhmm. Shouldn’t they both try again? Something good might come out of it.

WENDY
They could but you can’t force love in the end. If one of them isn’t really in it, maybe it’s time to let go.

JICHU
I get that but some things are easier said than done.

WENDY
Is this what was troubling you on Monday?

JICHU
What do you mean?

WENDY
You seemed a little sad.

JICHU
I’m fine. It was troubling my friend of a friend, definitely not me.

WENDY
Oh alright. You can always talk to me if you have troubles though.

JICHU
Thank you
💜

WENDY
You’re welcome.

JICHU
I have a friend of a friend of a friend…

WENDY
Uh-huh?

JICHU
She’s trying to find new love but what if she and her friend both share a mutual interest on another friend?

WENDY
Wow, you have a lot of friends.

JICHU
I’m well connected after all... since I’m your wi-fi.

WENDY
 

I would tell her to just go for it?

JICHU
Wouldn’t things end up being messy?

WENDY
That’s true… if this happens to me, I would back out but I think the right thing to do is the take care of yourself first.

JICHU
Got it. I think she will go for it.

WENDY
That fast? Did she reply instantaneously?

JICHU
I’m just guessing what she’s thinking.

WENDY
Oh, okay. Good for her then.

JICHU
About sea world, let’s go next Sunday?

WENDY

💙

JICHU
I got to go for now. Talk later?

WENDY
Oh yeah, before that. Joohyun unnie and I are planning to go to Jeju for a vacation. Wanna come?

JICHU
Is everyone invited?

WENDY
Yeah, the usual suspects. Like Seulgi and the rest.

JICHU
*typing*
*silence*
Sure. I’d love that.


            The talk with Jisoo seems to have went well. Wendy read the texts again, feeling satisfied with herself. Other than Joohyun and Jisoo, it’s just Seulgi left. It is the 3 of them that had worried her the most that day after they left the bakery.


WENDY
Hey, Ddeulgi.

SEULGI
Heyyy.

WENDY
Want to hang out on New Year countdown?

SEULGI
I can’t. I have some unfinished business.
 
WENDY



SEULGI
I’m serious. I need to take care of something first and then…

WENDY
Then?

SEULGI
I have something important to tell you.

WENDY
What is it?

SEULGI
I can’t say it now.

WENDY
That sounds serious. What’s going on?

SEULGI
Everything’s fine, Seungwan-ah. I’ll take care of things and come to you.

WENDY
Can’t you just tell me now?

SEULGI
Not now, I can’t.

WENDY
Okay…

SEULGI
I’m really fine.

WENDY
It’s just that you don’t really get all serious most of the time. Are you in some sort of trouble?

SEULGI
Nooo. It’s nothing like that.

WENDY
Did you borrow money from loan sharks?

SEULGI
What?! No!

WENDY
Are you pregnant?

SEULGI
NO!!

WENDY
Oh no… don’t tell me you watched the latest episode of Single’s Inferno without me.

SEULGI
Well… I mean…

WENDY
YOU DID?!

SEULGI
I’m just 32 minutes in! It’s not that bad. Also, that’s not it!

WENDY
What can be worse than being a Netflix cheater…?

SEULGI
A picture containing textDescription automatically generated

WENDY
Don’t text me for the next 24 hours!

SEULGI
Seungwannieeeee

WENDY
I’m kidding, hehe. Go take care of your business then we can go grab something nice to eat together.

SEULGI

💛 💛

WENDY
By the way, we’re planning on going on a vacation to Jeju. You’ll come too, right?

SEULGI
Who’s we?

WENDY
You know, the usual gang. I’ve only asked Joohyunnie and Jisoo so far only though.

SEULGI
Did Jisoo reply you?

WENDY
Yeah, I was just texting her.

SEULGI
Oh.

WENDY
Why? Are you looking for her?

SEULGI
No, just asking.

WENDY
I’m going to sea world with her next Sunday by the way!

SEULGI
That’s still happening, huh?

WENDY
Yeah~ I’m strangely excited about it.

SEULGI
Can I come?

WENDY
No third wheeling, it’s a date.

SEULGI



WENDY
Aww, don’t be mad. I’ll go with you next time, okay?

SEULGI
It’s a promise.


 

            Okay, that was just weird, it must be something very personal for Seulgi . Wendy thought to herself. Seulgi is rarely ever this serious. She can only hope that is nothing too troubling and she makes a mental note to check up on Seulgi again later. With that done, she texts the group chat about the Jeju trip and it buzzes with excitement again. Yeri starts talking about all the things she wants to do, like taking a road trip, eating the local black pork and visiting museums. Jennie wants to go orange picking in farms and Joy keeps pestering Wendy to invite Yoona. Jennie also agrees the more the merrier so she added Lisa, Rose and Yoona to the group chat.


LISA
I’d love to go to Jeju!

ROSE
Hi guys, it’s our first time meeting some of you. Please take care of us.

YOONA
Hello.

YERI
Dibs on the blonde!

IRENE
Mind your manners, Kim Yeri.

YERI
Jeez, okay. Mom.

JOY
Yoona unnie!

SEULGI
Is the group getting too big? Yoona don’t have to hang out with us kids if she don’t want to.

WENDY
Yoona unnie is fun! You guys will love her.

JISOO
I agree with Seulgi. Maybe we can split the groups? Just sayin. Weird people in 1 group and the rest…

IRENE
Don’t be so rude. Yoona is not weird.

WENDY
Yeah! She’s super normal!

YOONA
Hi Wendy darling.

WENDY
Hi, Yoona unnie.

YOONA
What are you wearing right now?

SEULGI
WHAT?

JISOO
WHAT?

WENDY
WHAT?

JOY
WHAT?

YERI
Oh snap!

YOONA
Send me a selfie.

WENDY
Nooo, why?

YOONA
I want to look at something pretty right now.

JOY
Nooo, Yoona unnie, let me send you a little something instead!

WENDY
Aha-ha-ha-ha, maybe we can take it to private chat? I’ll send a selfie to you later.


            The once dead group chat becomes alive once again with exchanges shooting back and forth. (Most of them are about trying to stop Wendy from sending Yoona a selfie) And for once, it finally feels like a vacation. Maybe with the trip, everything bothering Joohyun unnie, Jisoo and Seulgi will be lifted and they all can hope for a wonderful New Year.  

P.s. Wendy did send the selfie.