Chapter 21

Sweet Potassium

 

Jisoo had been dreading this moment ever since they started this relationship. Seulgi has a look of sadness on her face. Jisoo wanted to walk away but felt the strength had left her legs. She finally looks up when Seulgi approaches her. There’s a quiet tension in the air but it felt like everything that needed to be said had been spoken. Even if they both know this, Jisoo still needed to hear it.


JISOO
Looks like you just came in second.


Jisoo makes a weak joke as she pants heavily from the run. Seulgi makes a small sheepish smile, hoping to break the tension.


SEULGI
What can I say? I’m a fast runner.

JISOO
I’m just taking a break. I’ll keep running after I rest a little.

SEULGI
Where are you running off to?

JISOO
The beach. I hear the beaches here are beautiful.

SEULGI
I’ve heard about that too.

JISOO
Do you want to come along?

SEULGI
No, not really. I’m more of a land person.

JISOO
Figures.


The duo becomes quiet again. The forest felt abnormally quiet yet vibrant. Perhaps the two girls are so conscious of each other that they had tuned out everything else in the sleeping woods.


SEULGI
Jisoo… I..

JISOO
Don’t worry about me. I’m just a little unwell. I’ll be fine soon.

SEULGI
What can I do to make it alright?

JISOO
Well, the beach offer still stands. You can always accompany me.

SEULGI
I can’t.

JISOO
I know.

SEULGI
I’m sorry about everything.

JISOO
I’m sorry too. About everything.

SEULGI
We were just young. We shouldn’t have…

JISOO
It’s okay. There’s nothing else to be said.

SEULGI
Yeah…

JISOO
It’s over now, isn’t it?

SEULGI
Yeah..

JISOO
It’s really over now, isn’t it?

SEULGI
Yeah, it is.


Tears start rolling down Jisoo’s face as she chokes back a muffled sob. She turns away from Seulgi, afraid of letting her see how miserable she is. Seulgi wanted to touch her shoulder but felt a gulf of distance between them. She didn’t know what to say.

SEULGI
Will you be okay?

JISOO
No! I won’t be!

SEULGI
What can I do?

JISOO
Argue with me! Shout at me!

SEULGI
What?

JISOO
Scream at me, please! We never ever had a proper relationship but you owe me at least a proper breakup!

SEULGI
I don’t kno-


Jisoo walks over and pushes Seulgi as hard as she can. Seulgi staggers a little and Jisoo pushes her again.


JISOO
What is wrong with me?! Which part of me doesn’t compare to Wendy?

SEULGI
It’s not like that. You guys are different.

JISOO
Then why? Why do you always choose her over me? I’m willing to be everything you want me to be. I’ve never asked you to change a single thing for me.

SEULGI
There’s no reason. I just… I just..

JISOO
Don’t say it. Don’t say it out loud. I loved you, you know.

SEULGI
I never meant to hurt you.

JISOO
But you did!

SEULGI
I’m sorry.

JISOO
Stop saying you’re sorry! Why? Why won’t you scream at me? Tell me I don’t deserve your love. Tell me I’m not as good as Wendy. Tell me to find somebody else!

SEULGI
I can never scream at you, Jisoo.

JISOO
Why?!

SEULGI
Because it’s not your fault.

JISOO
Then who’s fault is it?

SEULGI
Nobody. It’s nobody’s fault.


Jisoo finally calms down at the statement but the tears still would not stop. A rustling sound comes from behind and Wendy emerges from the woods.


WENDY
Did you guys see Yeri? Did she pass by this way?

SEULGI
No, we didn’t see her.

WENDY
Jisoo! What's wrong? Why are you crying like this? What happened?

JISOO
Nothing. I… Nothing.


Jisoo glances at Seulgi who has a small hint of certainty in her face.


SEULGI
We’re having a breakup. A proper breakup.

WENDY
What? You guys…

JISOO
Yeah. That’s what we’re doing. A proper breakup.

WENDY
Soo-ya, are you okay?

JISOO
I will be. Remember what you said to me?

WENDY
What did I say?

(Chapter 9 reference)

JISOO
I told you I was chasing after a ghost and I might not have time to look at you. And you said you would chase with me until you overtake that ghost.

WENDY
Yeah?

JISOO
Well… I’m no longer chasing now. So you don’t have to chase after me either now.

WENDY
What? Why is everyone being so cryptic?


Jisoo makes a small run and hugs Wendy tightly before she can react. She releases her grip after and makes a smile at Seulgi. It felt like her heart was in a million fragments but for once, it felt like she could pick up the pieces now. Rose, Lisa and Chaeyoung emerge from behind, finally catching up with the girls.


LISA
Jisoo, are you alright?

ROSE
What’s happening?

WENDY
Has anyone seen Yeri?

CHAEYOUNG
Yeah! She was just running that way.

WENDY
Crap! I’m going after her! Sooya, let’s talk later. Please tell me you’ll be fine.

JISOO
I’ll be fine.


With that, Wendy and Chaeyoung spurt off in the other direction. Lisa, Rose and Seulgi have a look of confusion on their faces.


LISA
Is this like some planned event?

SEULGI
Uh…

JISOO
I guess you can say that.

ROSE
So… should we go back to the hotel?

JISOO
I’m not going back.

LISA
Uh? Why not?

JISOO
I’m going in a different direction.


Before Lisa can ask her questions again, Rose shushes her. She observed the tinge of redness in Jisoo’s eyes and tried to direct the conversation away.


SEULGI
Alright. This is us then.

JISOO
Yeah.

SEULGI
I’m going this way.

JISOO
I’m going the other way.

SEULGI
Be well, Jisoo.

JISOO
You know where to find me.

SEULGI
Yeah, I do.

JISOO
I wish you and Seungwan all the best.


Seulgi turns to leave and Jisoo speaks again in a voice so quiet she thought no one could have heard her.


JISOO
Good bye, Seulgi.


Seulgi and Lisa disappear back towards the direction of the campfire and Jisoo could finally breathe again. She looked up at the night sky, smiling despite all the hurt she had been through.


ROSE
So this is what you look like when you smile.

JISOO
Wha- Why are you still here?

ROSE
Wendy told me to stay with you before she left. Seulgi made the same request too. Weird. Anyway, they said you didn’t have your phone with you so I guess I’m your gps now.

JISOO
They’re nice.

ROSE
Yeah.

JISOO
How long have you been here?

ROSE
The whole time. While you’re doing your K-drama thing, looking at the night sky and all the doozy stuff.

JISOO
Shut up. I was just having a moment.

ROSE
I can see that. So where to?

JISOO
What?

ROSE
You said you were going somewhere else.

JISOO
Yeah, I’m going to the beach.

ROSE
What? That’s like a bazillion miles from here!

JISOO
No, it’s not.

ROSE
How would you know?

JISOO
I don’t.

ROSE
Alright, beach girl. Let me check the maps.


Before Rose could react, Jisoo takes off. Rose wanted to curse but just followed after in silence as she checked on her phone. She shouted after Jisoo as she chased after her. Before long, the woods clear and they’re out in the open stone paved road that is seemingly endless.


ROSE
STOP!

JISOO
Why? Why should I?

ROSE
WHAT?

JISOO
I’ll NEVER STOP!

ROSE
BEACH GIRL, THE BEACH IS 12 KILOMETERS AWAY! IT’S TOO FAR. STOP!

JISOO

I’ll NEVER STOP FOR ANYONE AGAIN!

 

Before Rose could reply, Jisoo ran further ahead. Rose could only try her best to keep up with her clumsy flip flops decorated in pink. Jisoo thought about the time she rode the motorcycle with Seulgi and wondered how they looked to the starry observers. If someone is watching them now, they could only see two souls running along the highway endlessly towards the edge of the world. The warmth gathered in her blood and pushed her heart to beat relentlessly. It made her feel alive. The sweat rolled off her face and her legs were sore but she kept running. She saw a movie called ‘Chungking Express’ once and in one of the scenes, a character ran when his heart was broken. He said that if he kept running and sweated out all the liquid in his body, there would be no more water left for tears. Jisoo didn’t know if it worked but she wanted to find out.

So she ran. And ran. And ran. And ran. And ran. And ran. And ran. And ran. And ran. And ran. And ran. And ran. And ran. And ran. And ran. And ran. And ran.

She didn’t know how long time had passed or how far she had run. The night air turned from chill winds into burning heat inside her lungs. The occasional traffic passes her by with small lights  like a reel of contact sheets.  The memories imprinted within seemed to be only flowing backwards. Jisoo thought about Seulgi and her many smiles. She then thought about Wendy and her many hugs. The urge inside of her was screaming at her to turn back, run the other way but she knew it was too late. It’s as though the thoughts manifested into reality as she heard a scream behind her. She turned back to see Rose on the ground clutching her left ankle.


JISOO
What’s wrong?

ROSE
You tell me what’s wrong! You try running a marathon with just indoor slippers.

JISOO
Well, you should have brought your running shoes.


Rose glares incredulously at the girl. She feels like a mess as her disheveled hair clinged to her face and her pajamas uncomfortable sloth around in her sweat. She was thankful for bringing the thermal jacket though or she would probably freeze to death. Before Rose could say another word, Jisoo ran off again. Rose felt like cursing at her but just stood up awkwardly picking up her slippers, one with broken straps while chasing after Jisoo. Jisoo disappears into the distance and Rose shouts after her but Jisoo doesn't reply. Rose thought about calling a taxi home but before long, she sees Jisoo running back at her with a pair of sneakers and two bottles of water. Jisoo seats her down and gently puts on the pair of shoes for her.

ROSE
Where did you get that?

JISOO
None of your business.

ROSE
Did you steal it?

JISOO


ROSE
You stole it, didn’t you?

JISOO
Shut up! I went to one of the nearby houses, knocked on the door and bought it.

ROSE
That’s… quite sweet of you.

JISOO
Yeah, whatever.

ROSE
It’s one size too big though.

JISOO
Ugh.


Jisoo slaps away Rose’s feet and tells her to wear the shoe herself. Rose grumbles a little. Okay, maybe not a little. She grumbles a fair bit more before Jisoo tells her to shut up again.


ROSE
What? You think I like running a freaking marathon in the middle of the night like a maniac after someone?

JISOO
I didn’t ask you to come!

ROSE
What was I going to do? You didn’t have a phone or someone with you. It’s not safe!

JISOO
I’ll be fine. I’m a tough gal.

ROSE
So tough you started crying while singing a song about self esteem.

JISOO
I didn’t cry. I was just..

ROSE
Just what?

JISOO
I was just feeling too energetic and wanted to run off the extra energy. Yeah, that’s it.


Rose wanted to take off her shoe and toss it at Jisoo. She changed her mind seeing the girl turning away and looking at the ground again like a small guilty animal who had been caught stealing an extra bite of food.


JISOO
So?

ROSE
So what?

JISOO
How far till we reach the beach?

ROSE
Google maps say 9 kilometers.

JISOO
WHAT? How can that be?

ROSE
What did you expect?

JISOO
I don’t know. I was having this deep moment within myself about life, change and going away, all that stuff. I thought I would be like, right next to the beach when I snapped from my thoughts.

ROSE
What are you talking about? You don’t even make sense! We just ran for like 20 minutes. There’s at least another hour or two to go.

JISOO
WHAT?! I can’t run that far!

ROSE
No .

JISOO
Should we call a cab or something?

ROSE
It’s the middle of nowhere! Who would pick us up in the middle of a highway.

JISOO
What do we do then?

ROSE
You tell me, beach girl.

JISOO
Stop calling me that, puke girl.

ROSE
What?! What puke girl?

JISOO
Don’t you remember? You puked all over me at the convenience store.

(Chapter 10 reference)

ROSE
That was…

JISOO
Was what?

ROSE
I was just detoxifying myself and you just happen to block my way!


Jisoo rolls her eyes at the ridiculous reason and crosses her arm. Rose pouts a little before continuing.


ROSE
Alright, I puked at you and you made me run a marathon. Let’s call it even then.

JISOO
Fine. You still owe me 50 bucks for the sneakers though.

ROSE
What?! It’s not even my size!

JISOO
Take it off then and walk with your broken flip flops then.

ROSE
Ugh. Fine, I’ll wear your stupid sneakers.

JISOO
So what’s the plan now?

ROSE
How would I know? Should we run back?

JISOO
No way! That’ll be too embarrassing. I just told Seulgi I’m going to a different place.

ROSE
Who cares?

JISOO
I care! I just had a very poignant breakup and if I return after 40 minutes, it would be like saying bye to a friend and finding out we both are going the same direction home. It would be super awkward.

ROSE
Well, then we only have the other option.

JISOO
Which is?

ROSE
To the beach.

JISOO
All the way?

ROSE
Hey, you’re the one who said you’ll never stop.

JISOO
You’d do that for me? Run all the way there?

ROSE
Yeah, why not? But let’s not run. Let’s jog and walk a bit.

JISOO
Deal!


With that, the girls make their way across Jeju. Closer and closer towards the edge of the island and the night lights scarcer than that of the city yet felt gentler and warmer. Jisoo had a calmer look to her now but Rose didn’t dare to ask her questions. The duo just jogged, walked, strolled their way, traversing silently into their journey.

It took two hours with all the twists and turns before they started to smell the sea air. The winds coming from the sea blew on relentlessly and the girls felt the frigidity despite being not so near yet. It was still rather late in the night so Rose suggested heading to a drinking house nearby. The owner was rather glad that two pretty girls came out of nowhere to patronize his restaurant so he gave them some free bottles of soju. Jisoo didn’t feel so hungry until the owner piled on a full table of clam soup, sashimi, grilled abalone, mackerel and kimchi tofu. Rose twirls the soju bottle around and skillfully mixes the shot of soju into a cup of beer. The fatigue from the long walk fades away when they both downed the combination of alcohol.


ROSE
This is it.

JISOO
Yeah, nothing better than late night drinking.

ROSE
Right? It feels extra sinful but so good.

JISOO
Someone once told me that sin is a flavor.

ROSE
I can’t deny that.

JISOO
Thanks for coming all the way out here with me.

ROSE
Yeah, no worries.


The girls had their supper but they weren’t that close so they didn't have much to say. For a while, the awkwardness stiffened but the alcohol melted away the ice between them.


JISOO
What?

ROSE
Huh? I didn’t say anything.

JISOO
You have a face that screams like you want to ask a thousand questions.

ROSE
Do I?

JISOO
Sigh, ask away.

ROSE
So what’s going on with Seulgi and you?

JISOO
Nothing now. We just broke up. Next question.

ROSE
Wait, I thought you were dating Wendy?

JISOO
We just went on a few dates but I guess it didn’t pan out.

ROSE
Huh? Really? You guys broke up too?

JISOO
Well… it’s complicated. But now that you mentioned it…

ROSE
I’m confused.

JISOO
It’s like I dated Seulgi but Seulgi liked Wendy.

ROSE
Uh-huh.

JISOO
And then I liked Wendy but Seulgi was secretly dating Wendy as a guy-

ROSE
Huh? What?

JISOO
And then Wendy found out and she got mad cause I encouraged her to date guy-Seulgi.

ROSE
Wait, I’m not catching up.

JISOO
And then I got mad at Seulgi tonight and we finally had a clean break.

ROSE
Why were you mad at her? Cause she liked Wendy while dating you?

JISOO
We’re kinda but not really dating. It’s complicated.

ROSE
Huh?

JISOO
Like I said, it's complicated.

ROSE
So you can’t really be mad if Seulgi likes Wendy, right?

JISOO
Yeah, I’m just mad cause feelings got involved and we never made things clear. It’s a little bit my fault, I guess.

ROSE
So did you have a clean break up with Wendy too?

JISOO
Uh… we’re not really dating. Just hanging out.

ROSE
Wait, aren’t you doing the same thing to Wendy that Seulgi did to you?

JISOO


ROSE


JISOO
Oh .

ROSE
Yeah damn, you gotta break up twice in a day?

JISOO


ROSE
I’m just sayin. I’m not running to the other side of the island’s beach again.

JISOO
It’s fine. I’ll handle it. Properly, this time.

ROSE
Do you not like Wendy though?

JISOO
I do. I do… it’s just…

ROSE
You’re backing out because of Seulgi.

JISOO
Yeah.

ROSE
Did you ask Wendy how she feels yet?

JISOO
No.

ROSE
Damn. You guys are a mess.

JISOO
Shut up, what about you then?

ROSE
I’m single. So what?

JISOO
Don’t give me advice then. I don’t want to hear from a forever solo.

ROSE
Hey, I dated before. I’m not always single.

JISOO
Heh, but you are now.

ROSE
So are you.


Jisoo makes a face at the remark and downs another shot of soju. Rose does the same and they both banter playfully at each other. It could have been the alcohol but it felt like they have known each other for years. An orange hue of light rises carefully and slowly across the horizon as they look out the restaurant open window. They borrowed coats from the restaurant owner and walked out towards the sea. The sand got into their shoes but they didn’t mind it at all. The sea waves drum at them like a piece of instrument while a lone seagull makes a harmonizing sound. Most dawns rarely ever felt so perfect. The beautiful sunrise peeks at them as they drink to a new day. It feels so good to Jisoo but before she knows it, tears start rolling down her face again.


JISOO
Do you think I’m a fool?

ROSE
No, you’re just… you were just in love.

JISOO
I gave up everything.

ROSE
Not everything.

JISOO
I gave up on Wendy too. Even though I shouldn’t have.

Jisoo starts weeping uncontrollably again. Rose wanted to console her but didn’t know what else to say. Everything you say right now can only feel detrimental. She puts her hand silently on the sobbing girl and pulls her closer under the same large coat.


JISOO
What should I do?

ROSE
It’s a new day. Leave it all behind, Jisoo.

JISOO
I want to. I really want to but no one ever told me.

ROSE
Told you what?

JISOO
That it would hurt so much.

ROSE
You made a choice, Jisoo. You left them and ran all the way here. It’s all over now. You wanted to start anew, you can do it if you try.

JISOO
I’m not sure that I can.

ROSE
If you can run 12 kilometers in the dark to get to the beach, you can do anything.

JISOO
Yeah, I did do that.

ROSE
See? It’ll be alright soon.

JISOO
You ran with me as well.

ROSE
Yeah!

JISOO
We can do anything!

ROSE
We can do anything!

The two girls start shouting at the sea. The sea seemingly replies with a large wave and the sunlight starts to warm them up, chasing the cold night away. Rose didn’t let go but gripped Jisoo’s shoulder harder under the coat. It felt warmer than she’d like but Jisoo didn’t mind. Jisoo rested her head on Rose and Rose could smell the scent of lemon, sweat and sea salt from her hair. Rose suddenly thought that Jisoo is like a small stray kitten that she wants to protect indefinitely and she feels her heart beating faster and faster. She grips Jisoo’s hands and the girl doesn't shy away. They both watched the sunset in silence until someone interrupted them.


YERI
Jisoo?

CHAEYOUNG
Rose?

ROSE
Chaeyoung?

JISOO
Yeri? What are you guys doing here?