Chapter 14

Sweet Potassium

            There is an saying: “The calm before the storm”.  Old sailors used to say so, that before the clouds roll in and the thunder comes roaring, the sky is often quieter than usual. The birds stop chirping and the fishes in the sea retreat into the deep. Animals are keener than us and wiser than us when it comes to danger. They know when the storm is coming and so, we would do well to follow suit.


            We ever so often only see the premonitions but not aftermaths. If we were to bear the raging storms and live to tell the tale, most sailors would say that calmness comes twice. Once before and once after. A tattered ship sailing into the port and weary sailors dock into the safety again. In silent disbelief that they had survive yet another dangerous voyage. Each sailor quieter than the last until they drink and brawl and cheer again. But just before, just before the cheers… there is only silence in the long journey back home. Silence. Radio silence.


            Radio silence for Seulgi. After she had kissed Seungwan that day, Seungwan had stare wide-eyed at her for a good 20 seconds before saying she needed to use the washroom. Seungwan walked away, back home and never come back. Seulgi, Chaeyoung and Yeri waited until they realized that Seungwan had just disappeared on them. Seulgi texted and called but Seungwan never did reply.


            Radio silence for Jisoo. Seulgi told Jisoo about how Seungwan knew the truth later. It happened in the worst way possible. If she had confessed to Seungwan earlier, she might be mad but not humiliated for being lied to. But it just so happens that way that the real Garam had come out of nowhere. Everyone but her knew about Seulgi cross dressing as Garam. That includes Jisoo. Jisoo who had went out with Seungwan despite knowing everything. Seungwan figured that out and blocked her on social media too.


            Radio silence for Irene. Ever since her brief tryst with Jennie, there had been no responses. The duo played the silent game for couple of days. Jennie had always been the one to crack whenever they had a conflict but it was different this time round. After several weeks, it was apparent that Jennie wasn’t going to text first. It was only then that Irene tried to send memes, gifs, cute animal videos and even selfies to Jennie but it seems that Jennie had stonewalled her. She often wondered if she went too far that day.
 

            The three girls wait in silence anticipation for D-day. More accurately, it’s J-day. Short for Jeju-day. Wendy had planned a group outing to Jeju just before everything became entangled and they were set to leave today. These are girls with determination and each of them have a plan to win their girls back. Until they packed their bags of course. The thought just hit them that Wendy might not even show up. But then again, everyone had paid for the stay so Wendy wouldn’t do that to everyone… would she? It didn’t take long till they get their answer. The first car arrives and the driver waves at the girls waiting by the roadside with their heavy luggage. Joy is dressed in an uncomfortable brown blazer, white shirt, black jeans and long boots with a cherry-on-top oversized sunglasses.


JOY
Get in, losers. We’re going camping.

SEULGI
Woah… isn’t that too much?

IRENE
Isn’t it uncomfortable to drive with long boots? You do know it’s a 5-hour drive from Seoul to the ferry terminal, right?

JOY
At least I’ll spend that 5 hours looking fly.

JISOO
Your personality is twice as obnoxious as your outfit.

JOY
And your shirt can’t be saved with plastic surgery, what’s your point? 

JISOO
What’s wrong with my shirt?


            Seulgi shrugs. Jisoo looks down at her shirt with a Micky Mouse smiling back at her. She kept it simple with a waist shirt tied to her denim jeans and ruggedly tied hair. It’s going to be a long road trip so she snugged a travel pillow around her neck.


JOY
And you. What’s with the collar outwear and plain tee? You trying to give bad advice in a youth camp or sumthing?

SEULGI
Hey! It’s called casual streetwear.

JOY
Yeah, it is. If the street is called St.Bland or Yawn road.

 

            Seulgi looks at her outfit and Jisoo shrugs. Irene steps up and pats Seulgi gently on the back. Joy starts eyeing at her new target. Irene is dressed in a long black sweater, gray khakis and long straight hair swiftly shading her features like a paint brush.


JOY


IRENE


JOY


IRENE
What?

JOY
FINE! WHATEVER!

IRENE
Why are you suddenly mad at me?


As usual, Irene looks perfect and Joy doesn’t have any valid roasts for her. The casualness of the lady Madonna makes her blood boil.  The second car, a blue Porsche Macan pulls up. The car moves slowly and jerks up suddenly. Screams can be heard from within. In a weird sense, it’s almost like the car has a personality. It wiggles a little towards the parking spot then out again, struggling immensely with the parallel parking. Irene facepalms at the terrible driver while the rest looks on curiously. The car moves out again but fails to fit in the spot. Seemingly losing its temper, the car screeches backwards and more yells can be heard again. Tremors can be felt and Jisoo peers in. Seems like someone with short burgundy hair colour has taken over the wheel. The Porsche creeps in slowly and finally into its rightful place and the group of girls come out.


JOY
Nice ride, skills.

YERI
Hey, parallel parking is hard, okay?!

SEULGI
Wait, Yeri is the one driving?

YERI
Hell yeah, just got my driver’s license!

IRENE
Can you not wreck my car? You promised you were a good driver.

LISA
I thought I was going to die!

ROSE
Worst driver of 2022.

YERI
Hey! I just need some practice.

JENNIE
Hey yall.


Suddenly the air stops. Irene and Jennie match each other’s gaze for just a moment, but it felt like tension as tangible as vacuous liquid pooling all around them. Rose and Jisoo locked eyes too but a look of contempt rolls over Jisoo’s expression instead. Rose vaguely recalls retching on Jisoo’s shirt during the 7-11 fiasco and she averts her gaze. Seulgi, Joy and Yeri looks at them with bated breath, afraid of making a sound. It’s just the start of the trip but it already feels uncomfortable.

The third car arrives, a blue Mercedes-Benz  pulls up. The already chilly atmosphere suddenly freezes up more. Wendy steps out, dressed in full black from pants to shirt and to her overcoat. Wendy’s signature short hair is even shorter still, dyed back to jet black. If revenge had to pick a name that day, it would be Wendy. The driver is dressed in a pure white sweater and long brown khakis with a beige long coat. The last girl in her thick gray winter coat jumps out of the car to greet the rest.


YERI
Hey, aren’t you that wimpy kid from the other day?

CHAEYOUNG
Hi, Yeri.

YERI
What are you doing here?


Before Chaeyoung can reply, Wendy passes by and everyone feels the frigid wind. Jisoo and Seulgi fidgets about before gathering barely enough courage to approach her.


SEULGI
Hey, Seungwan.


Before she can reply, Yoona exclaims loudly at the sight of all the girls. Everyone who is familiar with Yoona knows what is about to come.


YOONA
Oh my, is this my birthday? Has summer come early?


She begins to inspect the new faces. Rose tries to get away but Yoona squishes her cheeks in lightning speed. Lisa tries to shove the weird lady but Yoona defended quickly and intercepts Lisa’s hands and interlock their fingers.


LISA
Jisoo-unnie! Who is this crazy woman?!

ROSE
Help!

JISOO
That’s the demon queen. Don’t fight it, you can’t win.

SEULGI
She’s abnormally strong for some reason.

IRENE
Stop being rude. Yoona is just energetic and warm-hearted.


Yoona changes her target and wraps around Jennie like a floaty cling film wrapper. Jennie’s eyes turn wide and she tries to push Yoona away, but it felt as though she is pushing again a boulder. Irene hisses at the sight.


IRENE
God, Yoona unnie! Can you just be normal for once!

JENNIE
Woman, help me!


Irene tries to pry Yoona off Jennie and the group tries to scatter away from the overly welcoming Yoona. This is the first time Jennie had ever saw Irene panic in from of her. Yoona has a look of surprise too when Irene pulls Jennie over to her side. For some reason, it felt like Irene is towering over Jennie despite their height and its strangely warm. Jennie suddenly has a lightning bolt of an idea strike her. She pulls away from Irene and reciprocates Yoona’s affection instead.


JENNIE
You must be Yoona unnie. The rumours underrated you. You’re much more gorgeous than I can ever expect.


She feels a pair of razor-sharp eyes staring holes in her back and she feels strangely happy that the Devil herself must be boiling over right now. Jennie continues.


JENNIE
I think you are the most beautiful person I’ve ever seen!

YOONA
Oh darling, thank you for your compliment. I have a feeling we are going to be very close friends.

JENNIE
VERY-VERY-CLOSE-FRIENDS.


Irene was about the protest, but Jennie would soon learn to regret her provocation. Yoona hugs Jennie skin-tight and kisses her forehead. She feels the heat rises to her ears and her head turns into a tomato. Sneaking a peek behind Yoona, she sees Irene with a deadpan face. Anyone who doesn’t know Irene well would think she is unaffected. Upon closer inspection, Jennie feels a chill when Irene raises her right eyebrow briefly followed by nodding her head and finishing off by pursing her lips tightly. Jennie tries to break free but Yoona kisses her cheeks this time. Irene walks and grabs Jennie’s hand and forcefully pull her away towards Joy’s car.


IRENE
Let’s go.


A giddiness takes over Jennie as she feels the strong grip around her wrist. Somehow, a possessive Irene checks all her boxes. The duo passes by the Lady Vengeance and grizzly bear. Seulgi tugs at Wendy’s sleeve but she gave no response. Jisoo sneaks over for an attempt of reconciliation too.


SEULGI
Seungwan-ah, are you mad?

WENDY
Why would I be mad? I always love a good prank. I love it when friends dress up as guys to hit on me.


Seulgi freezes up and falls over when the words form into an arrow, striking her heart.


JISOO
Yeah, I mean… who does that, right? Let’s go, Wendy.

WENDY
Yeah, Jisoo. Who would ever do such a thing? Who would lie to another just to get a date? It’s not like someone would pretend to not know vital information of someone’s interpersonal relations just to get to third base, right?


The one second K.O hits Jisoo and she backs off into the shadows. The new Wendy is pretty icy and intimidating for a good reason.


YERI
Yeah! Ignore those schmucks. Ride with me, Wendy-unnie.

WENDY
I’m fine. I’ll take Yoona’s car.

CHAEYOUNG
I’ll ride with you anywhere, Yeri-nim!

YERI
Wha… going away, kid.


For a second, Yeri looks a little hurt by the rejection. Perhaps Wendy is just mad at everyone who knows about Garam-Seulgi identity. The gang starts to take turns apologizing to her before her expression softens up. To minimize the awkward, Wendy rides in Yoona’s car with Chaeyoung. And to minimize the danger, Irene boots Yeri out of the driver seat. She drives Jennie, Rose and with Lisa shotgun. Joy takes in the reluctant Yeri, Seulgi and Jisoo.


JENNIE
Hey~

ROSE
Heyy~

LISA
Heyyy~~

IRENE
Salutations.


The mood immediately dies down when Irene speaks up. For some reason, Irene seems exceptionally irritated today despite not showing it. A strange aura emanates from her and the trio make eyes at one another. Along the ride, Jennie notices Irene throwing glances at her through the back-view mirror and she returns a slight mischievous smile when she caught her looking. Jennie squeezes Rose’s arm to get her attention.


JENNIE
Rose. I’m thinking of dyeing my hair colour.

ROSE
Oh cool, what colour are you thinking of?

JENNIE
Well… what colour do you like on me?


Rose turns flustered at the comment but before she could say anything, the car screeches suddenly and everyone jerks forward. The car resumes without so much a peep.


IRENE
Sorry. Road bump.

LISA
Unnie! It’s the highway!

IRENE
I.SAID.IT.WAS.A.ROAD.BUMP.

ROSE
Unnie, I thought you said you were a better driver than Yeri?

IRENE
You got a problem?


Rose turns wide-eyed and shuts . Jennie clings onto Rose suddenly, like there was a 30 second time lag after the car halt suddenly affecting her.


JENNIE
Oops, sorry about that. It was the road bump.


The staring driver purses her lips again and clenches the driver wheel tightly.


IRENE
Jennie-shi, it’s Seoul. There are no road bumps on the highways here.

JENNIE
I know. 

ROSE
Wha…


Irene turns on the radio to max volume to block out any sound Rose and Jennie could make and focuses extra hard on the road. Lisa sitting in the front row obliviously jams to the songs while Jennie giggles at the driver’s reaction. Rose wonders if it’s her lucky day and tries to put her arms around Jennie. Jennie’s face turns red and suddenly mouths a ‘woah’ and backs off. Rose pretends to look out the window, whistling.


ROSE thinks to herself
Damn, it’s gonna be really awkward trip.