Chapter 12

Sweet Potassium

            Don’t you think it’s weird that everyone has a few faces. We are a different person when we are with our parents, our friends, colleagues and even our pets. We try so hard to be perceived differently by different people. We want to look capable to our boss, generous to our friends and caring to our lover. Beneath every façade hides a very true piece of ourselves and when we put that together, there might be a small abstract makings of a person that we are. Under the two faces of Garam and Seulgi, Seulgi wonders who she is to Seungwan. She is having a dream of three visions of herself looking back at her. One of them dressed as Garam, one as herself and another in the middle, a child Seulgi sitting down and looking down at the ground with hair covering her face. She finds herself drawn to the male version of herself but finds her steps heavy.

 

            As she approaches the Garam version of herself, the image in the mirror turns to walk away. Seulgi shouts but her voice is muted. The male Seulgi walks further and further away, fading into the darkness. Like a tuning clockhand, the mirrors shift and she finds herself facing the childlike Seulgi. Child Seulgi looks up at her earnestly and she recalls how she met Seungwan. They met when they were 6 years old in a kindergarten. They click so well quickly because of their similar personalities. Seungwan and Seulgi were like wonderbread and butter. They went everywhere together and did everything together. But it didn’t last long as Seungwan’s parents work brings them everywhere. Seungwan move to another kindergarten soon but they didn’t lose contact. Seulgi would travel an hour to a playground because it was nearer to Seungwan’s new place and Seungwan would do the same too. One day, Seungwan come by with a bruise on her arm and Seulgi kept asking how she was hurt but Seungwan wouldn’t tell. So Seulgi made her mum bring her to Seungwan’s kindergarten the next day. A couple of kids were hitting Seungwan with sticks. It happens ever so often that the new kid in class couldn’t fit in. Seulgi’s mum was able to approach their teacher but Seulgi dashed after the bullies and she punched the ringleader so hard he fell flat on the ground. Seungwan was so surprised that Seulgi had come out of nowhere to save her but Seulgi just grabs her arm and shouted. “Run!”

 

The two of them ran and ran, ignoring even Seulgi’s mum calling after them. They ran to their usual playground, panting and laughing. It wasn’t long before Seulgi’s mum found them and told Seungwan’s parents that their kid was not fitting in. Seungwan would since then go back to the same kindergarten with Seulgi. She would stay over Seulgi’s place often to make commuting less of a hassle. They were never separated since in their childhood. Even when Seungwan had left to study in Canada and then to United States, they would always make time for each other. They would video call each other through Skype and spend their Fridays together, watching movies and talking nonsense. The memories dissipate in the mirror and as Seulgi reaches her hand out, she sees her normal-self looking back at her through the mirror. She was and vulnerable. At first the actions mirror each other. From the wiggle in the toes to the slight shift in her leg and then to a cold shudder to the mid-section of her body. Seulgi looks up but the mimic stops there. The Seulgi in the mirror refuses to meet Seulgi in the eyes no matter how hard she tries. Seulgi reaches out to touch the mirror but the image looks up suddenly back at her and suddenly, she’s awake.

 

 

            She feels clammy and wet all over her body. A drop of sweat rolls down her neck and Seulgi feels her heart beating quickly. She wasn’t scared or nervous or shocked by the dream but still, her heart races. It was late afternoon already. The tension released when Seulgi had learnt that Wendy and Jisoo were not dating yet and the relief took her to sleep. It is almost time for the date but the strange dream keeps floating in her mind. Even as dense as Seulgi is, she knew it was a sign to let go of her double life as both Garam and Seulgi tonight. How did she ever let Jisoo, Joy and Yeri convince her that it was a good idea to keep pretending to be Garam? A suddenly nauseousness overtakes her. What if Seungwan doesn’t reciprocate her feelings? What if Seungwan is so mad at the duplicity that she decides to stop being friends with her?

           

            Seulgi dresses herself in Garam’s clothes again and takes another look at the mirror. The child version of herself looks back and she knows what she must do. She has to tell Seungwan the truth tonight. It felt like the same day but a different time. Seulgi remembers waiting in anticipation at the train station for Seungwan but this time, a feeling of fear mixes in. Before long, someone pats her on the back and it was Seungwan. Seungwan feels different this time from their previous date, she is less feminine but more of her usual self in a navy blue sweater and jeans with a checkered blazer. Seungwan’s hair had grown out a bit but is still in medium length and she wearing a much plainer make up. Even the perfume smells different, like an sweet oak scent blended beautifully with a hint of citric.

 

 

WENDY
Hi, hyung!

‘GARAM’
Hi, Seungwan… Can I still call you Seungwan?

WENDY
Sure, why not.

‘GARAM’
Ah, it’s nothing.

WENDY
How have you been?

‘GARAM’
I’m doing okay. Not great but not bad either.

WENDY
Ah, that’s… okay to hear.

‘GARAM’
How about you?

WENDY
I’m good. Not amazing or terrible either.

‘GARAM’
That’s nice.

 

 

            The mood becomes quiet quickly after initial greetings. It felt like Seungwan has moved past ‘Garam’ and away to better things. Seulgi can’t blame her. ‘Garam’ did technically ghost her after the date and only contacted her after so long. Seulgi never intended Seungwan to like ‘Garam’ after all so she can’t help but feel if she ever so slightly hurt Seungwan in a way. They take the same route to the same diner but it felt different. The Christmas decorations were already taken down and the crowds seem emptier than usual. A rowdy loudness interrupts the silence and they see a group of high school students gathering about.


STUDENT 1
Why were you so useless?

STUDENT 2
Don’t you know how hungry we are?

STUDENT 3
I really don’t understand how you can be late just buying a few snacks.


 

The three girls were crowding around a withdrawn girl making a fuss. The bystanders hurriedly walks away, avoiding eye contact with the bullies.


BULLIED STUDENT
I’m sorry… I was running but I couldn’t make it in time. There are too many orders?

STUDENT 1
Is that my fault now?

BULLIED STUDENT
No! I’m just saying…

STUDENT 2
Son Chae-Young. How are you going to compensate us for our mental distress and suffering of missing our meal times?


 

Seeing the scene, Wendy feels a boiling anger inside of her and Seulgi does so as well. It's one thing to say you can stop bullies but it's another when it is happening right in front of you in real life. A normal decent person would feel as scared as they are mad. It is a strange sense of sensation as you steel yourself for an direct confrontation. The two girls were almost in sync as they take a deep breath together and clench their fists, unknowing of what both of them were about to do.


SEUNGWAN/’GARAM’
Hey! Leave her alone!

 

Seungwan and ‘Garam’ looks at each other in surprise before the bullies look back in shock.


STUDENT 1
Mind your own business! ing hag.

STUDENT 2
Disgusting creep. You think you something because you got a guy with you?

STUDENT 3
The guy kind of hot though.

CHAEYOUNG
Please go on your way. I don’t want anyone to get into trouble for me.

STUDENT 1
Shut up!

 

The first student slaps Chaeyoung across her face and she drops the packs of food all over the floor.


STUDENT 3
Now you’ve done it. You stupid !

 

Before they can hit the bullied girl again, Seungwan and Seulgi separates the group from Chaeyoung. The bullies hurl vulgarities at them and one of them pushes Seungwan against the wall. Another spits at Seungwan and Seulgi feels an immeasurable amount of anger swelling up inside of her. As much as she wants to punch the girls in their face, she can’t. It would be an inappropriate amount of force against a high school kid.


STUDENT 2
You think you can do as you like just because you’re a little pretty?

STUDENT 1
Our boyfriends are the local gangsters in this area. You guys better off before we call them.

WENDY
We’ll go but we’re taking this girl with us.

STUDENT 3
No, you’re not.

‘GARAM’
There are people taking videos behind you now, you sure you want to keep acting up like this?

 

The bully leader looks around before clicking her tongue. They watch in silent anger as Wendy and Seulgi helps Chaeyoung up to leave the area.


STUDENT 1
We’ll remember this. You better watch your back.

WENDY (Whispering)
How I wish Yeri is here right now.

 

Seulgi smiles at the thought. The best way to deal with these little devils is probably to unleash a bigger devil at them. Chaeyoung seems to be a little injured and she limps alongside them, clinging onto Seungwan’s left arm. Suddenly, a cup of chilli broth splashes at the back of Chaeyoung’s head.


STUDENT 2
Don’t forget to take your dinner with you!

 

The rest of the girls start laughing and Seulgi was about to turn back but Chaeyoung grabs her hand.


CHAEYOUNG
Don’t. Let’s just go.

 

As they walk away, the bullies stare in cold cruelty. No one had ever dared to defy them before, much less take away their toy.


STUDENT 1
Follow them. Text me when they stop, I’ll send for the gang to teach them a lesson.

 

When they gained a bit of distance, Seungwan uses her handkerchief to wipe Chaeyoung dry. The bullied girl is strangely dignified and strong, there wasn’t even a hint of anguish in her eyes.


CHAEYOUNG
Thank you, unnie. My name is Son Chae-Young.

WENDY
I’m Wendy. This is Garam.

‘GARAM’
Those kids are so mean!

CHAEYOUNG
I’m used to it.

WENDY
That’s terrible… does your parents know about this?

CHAEYOUNG
It’s okay, my parents don’t have to know. The bullies will get bored soon and move on.

‘GARAM’
What if they don’t?

CHAEYOUNG
Please… just let me handle this on my own.

 

They stop by an apparel store and Seungwan heads in to buy a fresh change of clothes for Chaeyoung despite the kid constantly rejecting the offer. It reminded Seulgi of the time Seungwan bought a scarf for her and she grins at the memory. Seulgi would later find a sauna for Chaeyoung to change into clean clothes.


CHAEYOUNG
Really, I’m so thankful.

WENDY
Do you want to join us for dinner? You don’t mind, right? Hyung.

‘GARAM’
Yeah, of course not. We’ll buy you a lot of delicious food.

CHAEYOUNG
I’m okay. I’ll be leaving now.

 

Chaeyoung tries to hobble off with her limb but Seungwan grabs her back.


WENDY
No, you’re not. We’ll get you something to eat then bring you to a doctor.

CHAEYOUNG
Ugh, Garam-nim, your girlfriend is so bossy.

 

Seulgi blushes at the comment but Seungwan hits Chaeyoung head gently, telling her that they are not a couple. Somehow, Seulgi feels lighter now that Chaeyoung has joined them for dinner. It was a little awkward at first with her fidgeting about, trying to imagine a hundred different ways to tell Seungwan the truth. She realized how microscopic her problems are in comparison to Chaeyoung or to anyone else having a really, really bad day. Whatever may happen next, she became sure that Seungwan and her will be alright. The same Seungwan that is kind and compassionate even to a stranger. Seungwan raises her head to meet Seulgi’s eyes as if she had read her thoughts and they both smile sheepishly.

 

The trio enters the diner where Seulgi and Seungwan had visited during their first date and the elderly couple greets them warmly. They ask if Chaeyoung is Seungwan’s sister and that they all look like a picture of a family together. Seungwan and Chaeyoung denies repeatedly but in a way, it felt really familiar and even a little funny to Seulgi. It was like three random individuals had come together by some form of fate to have a meal together, if she wasn’t ‘Garam’ today.


CHAEYOUNG
How did you guys meet?

WENDY
Garam is my best friend’s brother. He’s a little weird sometimes.

GARAM
No, I’m not! Have you ever consider that everyone else is weird and I’m the normal one?

WENDY
Yeah, I don’t think so.

CHAEYOUNG
To be honest, both of you are really similar. Similarly weird.

WENDY
What? How so?

CHAEYOUNG
Just now… I saw the two of you standing there, shaking on the spot as if you guys are in sync and shouted at the bullies at the exact same time. How strange is that?

GARAM
Anyone would have done the same.

CHAEYOUNG
No one does. At least for me anyway.

WENDY
Not even your teachers or classmates?

CHAEYOUNG
No, a lot of the teachers pretend to not know.

WENDY
That’s horrible…

CHAEYOUNG
Both of you are really kind. Thank you.

GARAM
How can we help?

CHAEYOUNG
I’m fine. I’m really fine.
 

 

The warm eyes and head pats from Wendy almost makes Chaeyoung cry. It’s strange how a little kindness from a stranger can pull out so much emotions from inside of her. Luckily, the elderly couple starts bringing out the dishes and she was spared from sobbing publicly. Seulgi watches in silence, the cogs in her mind are turning much like Seungwan’s. They are thinking of different ways to help Chaeyoung from her bullies. Seungwan begins texting someone about this situation and Seulgi has the same idea too. She starts to text Yeri for help. The elderly couple interrupts them and tell them to eat up before the food gets cold. They both look up to see Chaeyoung busy wolfing down the food.


CHAEYOUNG
What? Is mum and dad ready to eat? I said thank you for the food but both of you seem to be busy texting someone.

WENDY
Cheeky brat.

GARAM
You were much cuter when you were shy.

CHAEYOUNG
Well, I can’t stay timid forever.

WENDY
Tell me your school name and class details later.

CHAEYOUNG
I’m really fine, unnie. I can take care of myself. You don’t have to bother yourself with this.

WENDY
Oh, I’m not bothering with this. I’m sending someone else.

GARAM
Yeri?

WENDY
Yeah, Yerms.

GARAM
I was just texting Yeri about this too!

WENDY
Wait, you know Yeri too?

GARAM
Ah.. hahaha, yeah. Seulgi told me about her.

CHAEYOUNG
Who’s Yeri?

WENDY
Pretty much the devil.

CHAEYOUNG
The devil?

GARAM
Yeah, pretty much.

 

Just before they can continue their conversation, a group of students with the same uniform as Chaeyoung enters the diner. Three of them were the bullies from before and another three were guys. Two of them wear their outfits sloppily and another has an crumpled shirt with visible crude tattoos over both his arms.


STUDENT 1
That’s them.

DELINQUENT 1
You es are the ones that hit my girlfriend?

WENDY
We didn’t hit her.

GARAM
I would if I could though.

CHAEYOUNG
Garam-nim, Not helping!

DELINQUENT 2
You got a mouth on you.

DELINQUENT 3
Hold up, on a closer look… both of these girls are quite pretty. This noona is just my type.

 

Seulgi tenses up at the provocation and she starts to think of every nasty way to smack these kids in their heads. But chances are, she can’t take on 3 guys and girls at the same time. Seungwan remains brave but Seulgi can feel both Seungwan and Chaeyoung shaking at the confrontation. The elderly couple rushes out to defend their kids too.


SHOPKEEPER’S WIFE
Where did all these delinquents come from?

SHOPKEEPER
Get out of here if you aren’t customers!

 

One of the delinquents shoves the elderly man to the side and another flips a chair at him when he falls over. The shopkeeper’s wife rushes over to help him up.



DELINQUENT 1

Mind your own ing business, old man.

STUDENT 1
We’re here for payback. Once we’re done, we’ll leave.

DELINQUENT 2
Get in our way again and we will wreck your entire shop.

DELINQUENT 3
Hold on. How about you two spend your night with us. If you do that, we’ll let you off easy.

 

            The guy with tattoos points at Wendy and Chaeyoung with the ridiculous proposition and Seulgi stands up. She walks up to the group, putting up a wall between them and the girls and the elderly couple. Seulgi’s heart is racing quickly and she feels adrenaline pumping all over. If she said that wasn’t scared, she would be lying.


STUDENT 2
What? You thinking of fighting all 6 of us alone?

STUDENT 3
The last guy who gave us the side-eye ended up in the hospital.

WENDY
There’s three of us!

CHAEYOUNG
Three?!

WENDY
Yes! Including you.

CHAEYOUNG
Uh-oh…

SHOPKEEPER
Four.

SHOPKEEPER’S WIFE
Five. I’m not too old to teach someone else’s kid for them.

DELINQUENT 1
HAHA, all of you must be crazy. Two ing chicks and two old bags want to throw hands at us?

DELINQUENT 2
Even then, there’s still 6 of us and 5 of you.

YERI
I’m the sixth!


            Yeri walks through the door panting and sweaty. It seems she had rushed all the way down after hearing the news.


DELINQUENT 3
That’s your plan? Another midget?


            The third delinquent grabs Yeri by the wrist hard and she struggles to break free. Wendy tries to run over to help but another bully pushes her off balance. Wendy’s left arm made impact with a cutlery and drew blood.

WENDY
Yeri!

DELINQUENT 2
That’s your plan? You guys are dead.

CHAEYOUNG
Unnie, you’re bleeding!


            Seulgi closes in on them with her head down with no defences. She didn’t say a word but trudges slowly until she is centimetres apart from the first delinquent.


GARAM
Seungwan, Chaeyoung and Yeri. Here’s the plan… follow my lead.

STUDENT 1
What? Are you going to apologise? It's too late for that now.

STUDENT 2
Even if you get on your knees, it wouldn’t be enough.

DELINQUENT 2
We are going to you up and take your girls out for a good time.

 

            The bullies start laughing amongst themselves and Seulgi clenches up. All of her strength pulls together like an overly tight guitar string and she gathers them into her fist. When the first bully turns back, she punches him straight in the face. He falls over with blood flowing out of his nose and everyone, including the bullies are shocked.


DELINQUENT 1
You ! You broke my nose! Where are you guys standing around for? Get them!

 

            Wendy reacts quickly and grabs the earthenware pot and smacks one of the girls across the shoulder. The elderly shopkeeper and his wife uses a tray and ladle to knock the second guy and girl off their feet. While the third delinquent was distracted, Yeri kicks him in privates to ensure he will never reproduce something like him again, an entity that only wastes space and oxygen.


GARAM
Run!

 

            Seulgi grabs Seungwan’s hand and they start running out the door. The elder couple retreats to the storeroom and locks the door while they wait for the police. Yeri grabs her phone by the window sill and takes Chaeyoung by the hand but the last girl standing pulls Chaeyoung back.


STUDENT 1
Son Chae-Young! Don’t think you can escape us. We will make sure your school life every day from now an living hell.

YERI
What are you doing?! Fight back!

CHAEYOUNG
I…

 

            The rest of the bullies are slowly recovering and if they get up, Chaeyoung and her friends won’t be able to escape. She balls up her fist and it took everything that she had but she decided to go for it. Chaeyoung closes her eyes and strikes blindly at the ringleader of the bullies. The fist lands right at the perfect angle and knocks the girl right in her left eye and she falls over. Yeri’s hand tightens over her wrist and they run out the door after Seulgi and Wendy.