Chapter 7

Sweet Potassium

            When the dust has settled, only Seulgi, Wendy and Jisoo are left at the scene. Yoona had changed targets quickly to Jisoo so Tzuyu could escaped amidst the distraction. Jisoo spent the next five minutes being immobilized like a cat grabbed by the neck while Yoona analyzes her face. Joy became a female Edgar Allan Poe, talking about how mercurial life is. Wendy had to reassure Joy that Yoona is just overly affectionate with everybody, it’s not really love and that she will soon move to the next beautiful thing soon. Somehow, that seems to depress Joy even more. Joy vows to give up on Yoona but just before Yoona leaves, she blows an air kiss to Joy and the poor girl is seduced to follow her again.


WENDY
Good morning, Jisoo. Is it my birthday today? Why is everyone visiting my bakery today?

JISOO
Who the hell was that?

SEULGI
That’s the demon queen.

WENDY
Don’t listen to Seulgi, that’s just Yoona unnie.

SEULGI
That’s the demon queen, Yoona unnie.

JISOO
She is… very unique.

WENDY
Yoona unnie and Joy left without eating their breakfast. Do you want to have it in their stead with Seulgi? It’s still fresh.

JISOO
Sure, why not. I’m always down for free food.

SEULGI
I’m not eating leftovers from the demon queen.
 

WENDY
I’ll eat with Jisoo then. I’ll bring out the eggs in a bit~

 

            Seulgi immediately shuffles to Jisoo to update her on the situation. Unfortunately, none of the information so far is useful. It’s up to Jisoo now but between them and the gang, Jisoo and Seulgi are the two most un-slickest people in the group. When Wendy comes back with the food, Jisoo gives Seulgi a conspicuous thumbs up and nod. It’s her turn to find out something that can help Seulgi.

JISOO
Sooooo…. How’s your life?

 

            Wendy immediately spits out her tea. Seulgi lurking in the area enlarges her ear tenfolds.

 

WENDY
Jisoo-ya, where did that come from? Are you making a movie reference from ‘The Room’?

JISOO
 I’m just curious and we don’t really do girl talk.

WENDY
I’ll tell you if you tell me about yours first.

JISOO
Well, I was hooking with Seu-

           

            Seulgi immediately coughs loudly but becomes quiet when Wendy turns back to look at her.


JISOO
S-s-e-e-e-a-l. A SEAL TRAINER. I WAS HOOKING UP WITH A SEAL TRAINER

WENDY
Wow, that’s amazing! Do you get free sea world tickets then?

JISOO
What?

WENDY
Like, do you get to see your girlfriend perform with seals.

JISOO
YES.

WENDY
Can I come next time?

JISOO
NO!

WENDY
Aww.

 

            Wendy starts pouting and Seulgi becomes flustered at the back, mouthing ‘do something’ to Jisoo. Jisoo starts panicking too and mouths, ‘Like what?


JISOO
I MEAN, YOU CAN COME BUT I’M BUSY SO HOW ABOUT I GET YOU THE TICKET TO GO YOURSELF THEN?

WENDY
It’s not as fun to go alone though. I can wait till you’re free then.

JISOO
Sure, that sounds nice-

SEULGI
*cough*

JISOO
-nice to go with your best friend, Seulgi, your best friend.

WENDY
Why did you say best friend twice?

JISOO
Did I? I didn’t. Did I?

WENDY
You did it again! Jisoo, are you alright?

JISOO
Absolutely, positively, affirmatively.

WENDY
Affirmatively?

 

            Wendy laughs at Jisoo’s nervousness but checks again to make sure that the girl is alright. Jisoo is caught off guard when she feels a warm hand over her forehead, feeling her temperature. Warm, how warm. That’s just who Wendy is, no matter what she did or didn’t do, Jisoo will always adore her. She chuckles nervously and assures her friend that she is okay. Jisoo is still a lady with a mission on hand and she continues with her covert interrogation.
 


JISOO
Sooo… how’s your life?

WENDY
What the… are we back to that? Well, if you must know, it’s non-existent.

JISOO
Really? I always thought that there are guys and gals around you.

WENDY
Not really. I had a couple of relationships, but they are all either puppy love or ones that didn’t go very far.

 

            Jisoo sees Seulgi holding a broom in the background, starting to tremble a little bit with giddiness and they both exchange a look of approval. Seulgi sends a mind wave to Jisoo, ‘Keep digging!’


JISOO
So you aren’t seeing anyone right now?

WENDY
Not really. Though I guess there’s this guy, he’s Seulgi’s brother, Garam… we only had one date so far but he’s sweet. He’s thoughtful and caring. A little weird sometimes but he’s has his moments…

JISOO
Yeah, he can be ditzy at times but he’s really cool when he’s working hard.

WENDY
Huh? You know Garam too?

JISOO
YES? NO? I DON’T KNOW?

WENDY
Well, that about covers all the answers.

JISOO
Aha-ha-ha, I’m just guessing that he’s that kind of guy because he’s Seulgi’s brother.

WENDY
Right…


JISOO
Anyway, are you guys are serious?

WENDY
It’s just one date so it’s too early to tell. Besides, he kind of ghosted me and didn’t reply my texts so I’m having second thoughts.

JISOO
Oh, that … but how do you know when it’s serious?

WENDY
I don’t know too, honestly.  Have you heard of Mandy Len Catron’s modern love study?

JISOO
No, why?

WENDY
She came up with 36 questions in 3 sets. It’s meant to be probing and personal. By the time, the two parties finished asking and answering the questions, they would fall in love.

JISOO
Really? Does it work?

WENDY
No clue. I guess I can try it out on Garam over a few dates… if he ever does decide to go out with me again.


 

Jisoo felt her heart sink. Of course, things would end up this way. The two most perfect people she knows would fall for each other. A veil of sadness falls over her façade and she avoids Wendy’s gaze.


JISOO
You don’t need to ask him the questions. I got a feeling that he’s already in love with you.

WENDY
Really? How do you know?

JISOO
Because… because you are such a kind and warmhearted person.

WENDY
Jisoo, are you sure you are okay? You are acting very strange today.

JISOO
Am I?

WENDY
Yeah, what’s with all the questions…

JISOO
I…uh…

WENDY
Why the sudden interest in my relationship?

JISOO
JUST CURIOUS?

WENDY
And your reaction to Garam… Jisoo-ah, are you…?

JISOO
AM I…?

WENDY
I knew it!

 

Jisoo suddenly grows wide-eyed with Seulgi and the two of them starts panicking internally. It’s too early for Wendy to find out the truth.


WENDY
Jisoo-ah, are you interested in me?

JISOO
WHAT?

SEULGI
WHAT?

WENDY
Are you eavesdropping? Rude.

SEULGI
I’m not. Why are you two talking in my area. Rude. Jisoo’s not interested in you, period.

WENDY
Then why is she so nervous?

JISOO
I AM? AM I? I DON’T KNOW?

SEULGI
She’s not!

WENDY
What’s going on? Are the both of you sharing some kind of secret…?

SEULGI
SECRET? THERE’S NO SECRET HERE, OR THERE, OR ANYWHERE.

WENDY
Then how did she know about Garam?

 

Seulgi and Jisoo starts to frantically make eyes at each other while Wendy tries to figure out their secret exchange. Wendy is not the kind of ‘I’m-mad-at-you’ person but more of the ‘I’m-disappointed’ type. Somehow, that is actually worse. It’s easy to get yelled at or screamed at but when a person you love or adore gives up the effort to be mad at you, that’s when you feel like you really screwed up. It felt like time was running out and someone had to reply before all of them are sent to the chopping block. The pressure got to Seulgi first and she implodes.


SEULGI
YES, JISOO IS INTERESTED IN YOU! THAT’S THE SECRET.

JISOO
AM I? I AM? I DON’T KNOW?

WENDY

Aww, really? That’s so sweet. What about your seal trainer girlfriend?

SEULGI
SHE MADE THAT STORY UP.

JISOO
I DID?

WENDY
Oh shucks, I was looking forward to going to sea world.

JISOO
Aha-ha-ha-ha, we can still go, I guess?

WENDY
Are you asking me out right now?

SEULGI
SHE IS? IS SHE?

JISOO
I guess I am?

WENDY
Aww, you don’t have to be so nervous and unsure around me.

JISOO
I’M CUCUMBER AS A COOL RIGHT NOW.

WENDY
I don’t know about that but you’re definitely a cute-cumber.

 

            Jisoo feels her heart flutter at the cheesy line but Wendy just chuckles at the tongue-tied Jisoo and assures her that they can just be casual, take it slow and go as friends. If something comes out of it, then it’s not too late to be nervous then. With that, Jisoo suddenly finds herself with a date with her ex-lover’s crush. Jisoo knows that Wendy probably only agreed to this date out of niceness but somehow, she was excited. On a closer look, Wendy is much more feminine than she realizes with the long eyelashes and small facial features. Normally, Wendy has such a bright persona, so she has a more metroual vibe compared to the girls in their group. Before she could explore the prospect more, she notices Seulgi frozen solid in the corner and she curbs her enthusiasm. She picks her words carefully so Seulgi won’t have to worry too much.


JISOO
Sure, let’s go as friends.

WENDY
If it turns to something more then we can just let nature take its course.

 

            Wendy gives her a flirty wink before returning to work. Jisoo thought, well damn, that must be how she got to Seul.


SEULGI
Jisoo, you can’t go.

JISOO
Yeah, sure. I’ll make up some excuse on that day. You don’t have to worry.

SEULGI
Whew, thanks. Of course, I’d get worried cause you know…

JISOO
What?

SEULGI
 You hooked up with friends before. You know what I mean?

JISOO
No, I don’t know what you mean. Explain.

SEULGI
Like you and me?

 

            Jisoo knows that Seulgi didn’t mean anything by that sentence. It’s one of the things she loves about Seulgi, that they can talk about anything without being offended but the wound from the breakup still feels raw. The irritation inside of her burst out of her floodgates.


JISOO
On second thought, I’m going on that date.

SEULGI
What?!

JISOO
Cause like you and me, I would love to be closer to Wendy, if you know what I mean?


            Before Seulgi can reply, Wendy yells for Seulgi to come help her in the kitchen. The conversation felt unfinished, but tears begin to well up. She hears a sad whimper from Seulgi when she’s walking back into the kitchen and Jisoo curses herself for being so childish. As Jisoo heads for the door, a lady runs into her and Jisoo tries to move to the left and the lady to her right. The taller girl moves to her left and Jisoo blocks her again when she moves to her right and then again in the opposite directions. The earlier conversation with Seulgi had left Jisoo angsty and short tempered so she lashes out at the stranger.


JISOO
Move! Stop blocking me.

GIRL 2
Hey, you are the one blocking me. Stop looking at the ground and look at where you’re going.


            Jisoo looks up to see a girl with long straight blonde hair, sharp eyes and full lips. The girl becomes shocked when Jisoo had looked up and she immediately starts apologizing.


GIRL 2
Sorry! I don’t mean to sound so harsh. Please don’t cry.

JISOO
I’m not crying!

GIRL 2
Okay, okay. It’s my fault. I’ll move away.

JISOO
Don’t pity me either!

GIRL 2
You’re unreasonable! What do you want then?

           
            Jisoo wanted to say, I want to feel okay again. I want to be Wendy. I want Seulgi back again. But she couldn’t say any of it. She remembers the times when the gang would hang out and Seulgi only ever had her eyes for Wendy. She remembers seeing Seulgi cry for the first time and her tears were for Wendy. She remembers just when she walked into the bakery, seeing Seulgi holding Wendy in her arms.

            Amidst all the jealousy, she also remembers the warmth of Wendy’s hands touching her forehead and how caring she was. The concern in Wendy’s eyes make her feel so small. Perfect Wendy. Kind and generous Wendy. The Wendy who excels in everything she does, from studying, working, opening her own bakery and even singing. It reminds Jisoo that someone like herself has no place in Seulgi’s world. Why did she ever hope for anything in the first place? Tears begin to stream down her face and the stranger frantically tries to calm her down. It’s probably rather childish but seeing how the stranger is blonde like Wendy, she takes her anger out on the girl and pushes her off her way and stomps off. Wendy and Seulgi comes out of the kitchen, hearing all the racket.


WENDY
Hey, Rose. What’s going on?

ROSE
Hey, it’s just a misunderstanding. A customer just left…

WENDY
Oh, it’s probably our friend, Jisoo. It’s strange that she left without saying goodbye though. Is something wrong?

ROSE
Oh, It’s nothing. Her name is Jisoo, huh…

 

            Seulgi kept quiet out of guilt. She wondered if she had said something that might have offended Jisoo. She tried texting Jisoo later again to apologize but Jisoo never did reply that day.