Chapter 20 - Seulgi and Jisoo Part 2

Sweet Potassium

 

The next time Jisoo would meet Seulgi again would be months away. She had hoped to see Seulgi again but whenever there was a group outing, Seulgi would reject it. At the start, Jisoo would google Seulgi and try to look for her social media but the phase of infatuation would quickly pass. The night outing group was always just Joy, Yeri, Jennie and the occasional appearance of Irene. It was yet another Friday again and the group chat would come alive with Joy complaining about her work and Jennie responding with her own stressful work drama. A cheer of TGIF goes all around and the group decides where to go for drinks.

Every other Friday, Jisoo would join them but not that night. She had pulled a double shift and hadn’t even had dinner yet. As she ran up to the bus station, her bus pulled away into the horizon and she could only sighed at her bad luck. Jisoo decided to take a walk to the nearest convenience store. The familiar cold winds gush against her as she walks and a nauseating feeling overcomes her. Jisoo made a note to eat her meals more frequently as she mentally curses at her boss. Across the street, a delicious smell of baked goods whiffed to her like an invisible seduction beckoning her to go over. Before Jisoo was aware of herself, she was standing before a sign scribbled in chalk that says, ‘Blue Garden’. A familiar voice boomed from within.

“Sorry, Wannie! It’s the last time. I’ve already listed my bike for sale!”

“Come here, stop running! See if I don’t get you.”

“See? That’s the kind of language that makes me not want to stop running.”

“Kang Seulgi, every other word of refusal adds to another .”

“Yikes!”

The two girls suddenly stopped and became polite when the store bell chimed. Wendy and Seulgi are frozen in their tracks, one of which with a feather duster in the air and the other hiding behind an aisle of a bread. Jisoo noticed the familiar face and gave a quick smile at them. Wendy suddenly turned professional and polite, giving the brightest smile she could towards Jisoo, shouting Welcome loudly. Seulgi just waved a quick hi and a glance of gratitude for stopping the spanking.

“Welcome to Blue Garden! Feel free to look around!” Wendy shouted with gusto. The fierce lady with the duster suddenly turned into a sweet angel.

“Nice to see you again.” Seulgi chimed in.

“Heya.” Jisoo replied.

“You guys know each other?”

“Yeah. We met during the night out with Joy. She’s Jennie’s friend.”

“Joy’s night out? I think that’s an understatement. More like Joy’s path of destruction cause of Wen-”

“Wednesday! Joy hates Wednesday. Right, Wendy?” Seulgi shot a look at Jisoo, mentally telling her to shut up.

“Really? I never knew that about her.” Wendy gave a whimsical look at them.

“Ohhhhh. So you’re Wendy. Joy was going off about you the whole time.” Jisoo replied.

“I hope she said good things.” Wendy shined her brightest smile again. Seulgi nudged Jisoo in the waist and Jisoo mouthed a small ‘ow’ at her.

“Yeah, only good things. Things so good that I shouldn’t say them out loud to you.” Jisoo tried to match the energy and smiled brightly but it only came off as a forced smile.

“Well, we’re closing soon and since you’re a mutual friend, feel free to take anything you like. On the house! And Seulgi, why didn’t you introduce us?

“Oh, cause…”

“You forgot my name, didn’t you?”

“It starts with a T, right.”

“Not even close.”

“Kang Seulgi, you’re too much!” Wendy raised her feather duster again and Seulgi dodged  roll into another counter.

“It’s alright. I’m Jisoo. Nice to meet you, Wendy.”

“Nice to meet you too, Jisoo! Now, show her around, Seulgi. I’m gonna go clean up.” Wendy takes off her apron and heads into the kitchen.

“Thank you so much!” Jisoo shouted after her.

Seulgi gave an awkward look and gestured roughly towards the aisle. There isn’t much bread left since it’s the night time but there’s still quite a selection. Each section has one or two unwanted pieces of bread. It’s kind of weird in a sense. There’s nothing wrong with the last piece but customers seemed to shy away from taking the last piece. Jisoo breaks the awkward silence.

“Well, your girlfriend seems awfully bossy.”

“Gir-girl-girlfriend? No, Seungwan Isn't my…”

Seulgi wanted to say the full sentence but couldn’t. Her face turned red as a tomato and Jisoo understood why Jennie referred to Seulgi as a big softie immediately. With the checkered collar shirt, jeans and black parka, one might easily think of Seulgi as a cool biker girl at first glance. Somehow the duality made Jisoo’s heart flutter more.

“So that’s the Wendy Joy was going on about.”

“Yeah.”

“She’s pretty. But I don’t see the appeal.”

“Huh? What do you mean? Seungwan’s perfect. She can sing, dance, bake, cook, speaks 4 languages, play guitar, flute, pian-”

“Oh jeez, I got it. I was just joking. I didn’t expect both Joy and you to be so smitten with her.”

“We’re not like that. We’re just best friends.”

“Seriously? I thought you guys were a married couple given the arguments and how you need her permission to ride a bike.”

“I don’t need her permission. I just respect her… gentle requests.

“Sounds like a henpecked husband to me.” Jisoo wandered off with a whistle.

“Hey, I told you. I don’t do love. Seungwan and I are not a thing.” Seulgi huffed and pulled up a tray and started grabbing bread for Jisoo.

“No need to get so serious, I was just joshing. Partners should be compatible.”

“I guess that’s true. Seungwan and I are not compatible at all.” Seulgi seemed to be thinking deeply with her furrowed brows, as though she was trying hard to convince herself of an idea.

“Yeah, she doesn’t let you ride a bike. And you’re a biker girl. What else?”

“I like dancing. She likes singing.”

“Oh, is she any good? Are you… any good?”

“I’m a full time dancer. Seungwan’s amazing at singing, she could have been a singer if she wanted to. I have a video of her in high school singing to Beyonce’s Halo, do you want to see it?”

“No, I’m good but oh wow, a professional dancer.” Jisoo became amused at Seulgi’s reaction whenever she had the chance to praise Wendy. It seemed obvious that the girl had feelings deep inside of her that she hadn’t realized.

“Yeah. Well. What about you? What do you do?”

“I’m a masseuse.”

“Really? I have some questions!”

Jisoo sighed. Whenever she stated her occupation, people would have the same few questions.

“No, I don’t do happy endings. I only work on women. Mostly prenatal and postnatal. Yes, I’m for hire. No, I can’t do it tomorrow, you need to book an appointment. No, an extra 50 doesn’t change my mind on the happy endings. Yes, I charge by the hour.”

“What? No, I was going to ask if this is normal.”

Seulgi stretched her left arm back and after a certain angle, she grunted a little. Jisoo reached out to feel Seulgi’s arm and examined it thoroughly to her back. She discovers a stubborn knot on Seulgi’s back and rubbed it a little. Seulgi lets off a small hiss at the touch.

“You have a sore knot here.”

“Oh no, am I going to die?”

“Don’t be overdramatic. It’s just a muscle knot. Probably from repetitive motions from dancing. You just need to stretch daily and ice it.”

“When will I recover?”

“Few days, maybe a few weeks.”

“I have a performance soon! Is there any way to fix it quickly?”

“Well… I can do some massage therapy for you but I’m booked until next month. If you don’t mind…”

“What?”

“I don’t really take personal requests but since you’re a friend, I’m willing to do it after hours as a freelancer. ”

“Really? You’d do that for me?”

“Yeah, why not. Come by tomorrow, 6pm. I’ll text you my address.”

“Thanks! I’ll repay you with some bread.”

“Okay, first of all, that's Wendy's bread. Second of all, it’ll be 80,000 won per hour.”

“Deal!”

Thus, the strange relationship of the duo began. Following the address, Seulgi sees an old brickstone two storey house. The plants outside the apartment seemed as withered and as untaken care of as the dark wood bench stationed outside. She began to question her decision and if she should just ring up a physical therapy clinic instead. The voice of Jisoo from the open window interrupted her thoughts.

“What are you staring around for? Get in!”

“I thought I walked into a haunted area.”

“The rent is cheap. Don’t knock it. Besides, I’m the one staying here, not you.”

The interior of the house is entirely different. Soft jazz music played from the living room speakers spread to the entirety of the house. The corridor leading in was painted dark red with a side of oak wood lining at the bottom. Smooth icy tiles lead to a warmer floral carpeting in the bright living room. The design is efficient and modern with a kitchen island and high stools for dining on the opposite side and a moss green sofa.

“Wow, nice place!”

“I told you, don’t knock it. Anyway, the bathroom is on the second floor, head up, first left room.”

“Hm? I don’t need to use the loo though.”

“Is this your first time getting a massage?”

“Yeah.”

“Go take a shower. I don’t want to lay my hands on some sweaty girl, even if she’s pretty.”

Seulgi turned bright red at the accidental compliment and Jisoo realizing it a second later turned red as well.

“I don’t mean it like that.” Jisoo blurted.

“Don’t make it weird.”

“It’s just a compliment, you’re making it weird.”

“I’m just sayin-”

“I know, I know. You’re Kang Seulgi who doesn’t do love. I remember, got cha.”

“Alright. I’ll go shower then.”

Seulgi started taking off her white tee as she walked towards the stairs and Jisoo turned away quickly. She throws a towel at Seulgi blind and it covers Seulgi's face, making her fall over.

“Go change in the washroom. You’re making things extra weird!”

“Oh, sorry. I’m just used to stripping infront of fellow dancers.”

Seulgi headed up to the washroom. Unlike the rest of the interior, the bathroom is more rustic than she had thought. It was just a shower head with black and white checkered tiles on the wall and a small hanging tray for washing liquids. A large mirror hung adjacent to a smaller mirror above the sink and when the warm water poured down Seulgi, she could see a misty version of herself reflection through the shower glass. The jazz theme suddenly stopped and Seulgi could hear Jisoo starting a Christmas playlist from the speakers. Seulgi quickly turned off the showers and patted herself dry before walking out. Jisoo was in the open door room at the end of the corridor, playing some sort of game on her phone. Jisoo had changed into black shirt and shorts combination. A small aromatic smell of sage and citrus drifted from the scented candle. Seulgi walked out with a towel wrapped around her body and scattered strands of wet hair.

“What’s with your hair, you didn’t dry it thoroughly enough. Come sit here.”

Seulgi pulled her towel higher up and sat herself down awkwardly back facing Jisoo. She felt Jisoo walk around to put her feet into a basin of warm water before walking back to dry her hair carefully. Each time she ran her hand through Seulgi’s hair, the other squeezed her scalp gently with each finger. It felt better than Seulgi had ever imagined. Jisoo took her time to slowly dry out every pair of Seulgi’s hair before transiting into a head massage. Jisoo pushed her thumbs with subdued strength across the part of the neck just below the ear repeatedly and towards the center of the neck. Seulgi lets off a groan.

“Harder? Softer?”

“This is good enough. Really good.”

“I’ll continue then.”

After the head massage, Jisoo continued the session by dimming the lights and telling Seulgi to lay down on her stomach. Jisoo began by climbing on top of Seulgi which she replied to with a whelp.

“Don’t make a fuss, this is normal.”

Seulgi didn’t make a peep after the comment but instead felt the intense energy of Jisoo's hands working on her neck and shoulders. She can feel the shape of Jisoo hands shifting from a palm and focus of the thumb pushing against the shoulders, then the sharpness of an elbow drilling at the sore parts of her body. Somehow, the heat of Jisoo’s body as she sat on Seulgi’s thighs made her feel a little shy. Seulgi had to mentally tell herself to not mind it repeatedly.

“You’re really stiff for a dancer.”

“Am I?”

“You have to stretch twice a day or you might get some injury in the future.”

“Oh… I didn’t know that.”

“So… Seulgi who doesn’t do love. Why aren’t you interested in romance?”

“Do I have to answer that?”

“Not really. If you don’t want to.”

Jisoo did a good job of leading down the massage so when she pulled down the towel to Seulgi’s waist, she wasn’t as jumpy this time. Jisoo continued to silently work on Seulgi’s back, circling a motion with her elbow and then downwards to try to smooth out the muscle knot. It went on a while White Christmas played in the background. The silence wasn’t uncomfortable but Seulgi was the first to continue the conversation.

“Because of divorce.”

“What?”

“I watched my parents divorce when I was young. That’s why I don’t really believe in romance, true love or whatever you call it.”

“I’m sorry to hear that. It must have been hard on you.”

“No… on the contrary, I was fine. My parents are still good friends today. Before they divorced, they were best friends. They never had a bad day together.”

“Really? That’s surprising to hear.”

“Yeah… but one day, they just told me they decided to split up. It was nobody’s fault. They still loved each other but it had changed to a familial love instead of a couple’s love. And I couldn’t understand it. If they still care for each other and there was no problem, why would they split up?”

“What did your dad say?”

“He never said anything. My mum told me that they had a good run but they never loved each other truly. They did fall in love but it’s not like a time where the other person is ‘the one’.”

“I don’t get it.”

“Me neither. My mum told me that I would get it someday. She said I would fall in love many times and get my heart broken many times… one day, I might experience true love or it might have passed me by. Either way, I’d know.”

“That’s… strangely sad.”

“I know, right? I might or might not know and why does it have to pass me by… what about you?”

“Me?”

“You said you also don’t do love.”

“I don’t know. My friends said I have a romantic heart but I think I’m the rational kind. You know, it's like they say I’m a dog person but I’m really a cat person.”

“Hmm, interesting.”

Jisoo got off Seulgi and started working on arms. Seulgi can feel cold, smooth lotion slowly warmed up by the body heat pushing against her. The hands pushed wave by wave up her arms to soothe her muscles and Seulgi unwittingly let off another satisfied groan. Jisoo would do the same to Seulgi’s glutes and legs later before applying hot lavender oil on her back. The hands felt flame touched as it pushed back and forth against her lower back.

“So what’s with the Christmas playlist?”

“I don’t know. I just like it… did you know there’s an article with research that says Christmas is the most depressing and loneliest time of the year?”

“Oh, really? I can’t imagine that with all the festivity.”

“It’s always some therapeutic song or hymn at my workplace. And I always thought if I had a choice, I would play Christmas carols… and you’re my first private customer.”

“Why? Is it because you’re depressed and lonely?”

“No… more like, if I can have the carols everyday and everyday is fun, I won’t be sad and lonely when it’s actually Christmas.”

“Hmm, smart.”

The session ended with Seulgi falling asleep. When she awoke, it was already 11pm. She saw Jisoo had left her a small note telling her to take a shower to wash off the oil and her clothes are in a basket outside the washroom. Jisoo had already gone to bed and Seulgi made her way out by herself quietly without waking her hostess. The massage felt so good that Seulgi texted Jisoo the next day asking if it’s okay to continue the sessions weekly. Jisoo was all too happy to have her first private customer. If she has a few more clientele, she could quit her job and work as a freelance masseuse.

Each time they had another session, it felt like the two girls began to start to know each other better. They talked about many topics privy to just both of them and it felt different from the usual friendship they have. With close friends, you can tell them about your day and thoughts. With Jisoo and Seulgi, they could share their theories and ideas about everything.

“Doesn’t it feel like we’re a couple now, like your parents?” Jisoo said to Seulgi one day while massaging her.

“What?”

“You know, like what you said about your parents. Never a bad day when we’re together. We’re close friends and we talk to each other about everything.”

“Yeah, and never truly in love. Just like my parents… are you flirting with me?”

“Ugh, don’t flatter yourself. Didn’t we both agree that we’re loveless people? Anyway… yeah, like a couple and I touched your body a bunch of times. At least most of it. And you really liked it.”

“What the…”

“Now, that is flirting. See the difference?”

Typically, Seulgi would blush at such a response but she didn’t today. Instead, she just turned her head around to sulk.

“I was just joking.” Jisoo replied in response.

“No, it’s not you. It’s just… I have to sell Henry away tomorrow.”

“Henry?”

“My motorcycle.”

“You named your bike?”

“Yeah. Someone finally made a bid and I have to hand over the keys.”

“And you don’t want to?”

“No, I loved riding. It feels so free. Wind against your shoulders. Just a road ahead and without a care in the world.”

“Then why sell it?”

“Seungwan is making me sell it. She doesn’t like it when I ride.”

“How could she? She doesn’t have authority over you.”

“Yeah but I don’t want to upset her.”

“But still… it’s not like you guys are really a couple or anything.” Jisoo probed again at the topic, carefully gauging Seulgi’s reaction.

“We’re not. Anyway, It’s fine. She’s worried about me and if selling my bike makes her less worried, I’m okay with it.”

A curtain of silence hangs over them while Jisoo continues working her hands. Seeing Seulgi unhappy, she put in extra care in the back massage and silently extended the session when their time was up. Jisoo carefully spoke again.

“Can you give me a ride on your bike?”

“I didn’t know you like bikes too.”

“I’m not. It’s just I hadn’t ridden one before.”

Seulgi suddenly became excited and got up, forgetting that she’s still undressed. The towel fell off and Jisoo immediately turned her head away blushing.

“I’ll go get dressed now. It’ll be your first ride and my last!”

Jisoo smiled at the sudden mood change and put on her blazer and scarf while waiting for Seulgi. Seulgi was in her usual black jacket, white tee and black pants. Seulgi handed over a half helmet to Jisoo but she didn't know how to clasp it so Seulgi carefully put it over her head and fastened it. Jisoo looked up and in that moment, their eyes met. A sense of satiety filled Jisoo and Seulgi looked away, seemingly flustered. Seulgi continued to help Jisoo get on the motorcycle.

“Ready?”

“Yeah!”

With that, they’re off. Jisoo put her hands on Seulgi’s shoulders and the machine reeved up to the nines. It felt like they might wake up the neighborhood but they didn’t care. Seulgi drove to the highway and an unending gust pushed against them. When Jisoo felt safe, she finally moved and turned her head around. The beautiful city lights shift inch by inch across the horizon. A faint scent of lemongrass from Seulgi’s uncovered hair caressed against Jisoo.

“This is amazing!”

“I know, right?”

“I can go faster!”

“Wai-”

Without warning, Seulgi sped up. In the late Spring night, no one else was on the highway. It was just the two of them as they rode along the reflected moon on the river. Jisoo wondered if anyone was watching them afar right now in the city. They must have seemed like a small blob of light shifting across the very far away roads. Seulgi was right, it felt like freedom. An unknown amount of time had passed before they stopped at a convenient store outside the city. There was just a single worker inside waiting for the long night to pass. Seulgi and Jisoo sat outside along two vending machines and they had both gotten a coffee.

“This is nice.”

“Yeah, I always come here to get a coffee when I feel trapped. Nobody ever comes here. I have no idea why there’s a 7-11 here in the middle of nowhere.” Seulgi replied.

“Maybe it’s just for people like us.”

“People like us?”

“People who don't fall in love.”

“Hah, yeah. Probably. But doesn’t this place feel like the last place on Earth? And we’re the only three people left alive. You, me and the 7-11 part timer.”

“Yeah, it does. Does that mean that part-timer don't fall in love either? Just like us.”

“Yeah, he must be one of us.”

“That’s the thing. Even if we’re the last people alive, we still need a place for coffee. We still need to find something to do.”

“And somewhere to go.”

“Exactly. So you can’t sell your motorcycle. Where else can you go without your bike?”

“Hmm, I don’t know. I’ll think about it.”

Before they could contemplate further, the 7-11 store worker wrapped his knuckles on the glassdoor, signaling to them that he was closing for the day. 7-11 is supposed to open 24 hours a day but even this place is shutting down. Jisoo supposed to herself that a place with no patrons would have to disappear someday too.

“This is us. Let’s go home.”

Jisoo nodded and they got on the motorcycle again. Seulgi drove much slower this time, as if to enjoy her very last ride. Jisoo shifted her hands to Seulgi’s waist but the girl didn’t seem to mind. Without the rushing wind, Jisoo could hear every word Seulgi was saying.

“Do you think he fell in love?” Seulgi yelled.

“What? Who?” Jisoo shouted back as they sped through the highway.

“The guy from 7-11.”

“Why?”

“You said only loveless people like us hang around that 7-11. But he ended up closing the store. That means he must have somewhere else to be, right?”

“Yeah. I suppose so.”

“He’s gone and it’s just us two left.”

“Yeah, he must have fallen in love then.”

“Seulgi, you know…”

“Yeah?”

“I would never make you sell your bike!”

Just as Jisoo shouted, they entered a tunnel and the wind seemingly was vacuumed out and they could only hear the hollow drumming of tires. Seulgi couldn’t hear a single word but Jisoo was fine with that.

“I would never make you change!”

“What did you say?”

“I would never make someone you’re not!”

“I can’t hear you!”

They exited the tunnel and everything was clear again. Seulgi wanted to ask what Jisoo had said but decided not to when she felt Jisoo leaning her head against her back. Before long, they arrived back at Jisoo’s house. Jisoo seemingly felt like another person to Seulgi but she couldn’t explain why.

“Seulgi, that 7-11 guy left.”

“Yeah?”

“It’s just the two of us now.”

“You already said that.”

“If it’s just the two of us, why don’t we try going out?”

“Huh? Sooya, aren’t we both people who don't do romance?”

“We don’t have to love each other to go out, do we?”

“Like my parents?”

“Yeah. Like your parents.”

“Jisoo… I’m not sure if this is a good idea.”

“I didn’t say if it's a good or bad idea. Well… if we’re the only two people left on Earth right now, it's the only idea..”

“I won’t ever fall in love, Jisoo. You have to know that.”

“I do.”

Jisoo took off Seulgi’s helmet and peeled the strands of hair off Seulgi’s face as the night wind blew. Seulgi didn’t resist and a spark of small ember scattered off their matched gaze. Jisoo kissed Seulgi gently.

 

“Jisoo… this is not love.”

“This is not love.” Jisoo repeated

We won’t go on dates.”

“We didn’t go on a date just now.”

“And neither of us will fall in love with each other.”

“I don’t love you, Seulgi. This is just a game.”

“A game?”

“The first one to fall in love loses.”

Jisoo kissed Seulgi again and Seulgi reciprocated. They stood and kissed for a long time. Neither of them knew what the other was thinking. But it was just the two of them. The last two people in the world. Jisoo’s world. The night breeze came again like an unrelenting force blowing against Jisoo. The familiar streets are no longer there and the city lights dimmed away. It was just Jisoo now

Chapter 16

Jisoo just kept running further and further from everyone else. She didn’t want to but she felt like she had to. IU quickly brings out torches from the storage and hands them out to everyone. Yeri and Lisa tried to text Jisoo but she had abandoned her phone too around the camp. Seulgi had already run off with her phone with the flashlight function on to look for the girl. Since there weren't enough torches, the girls pair up for the search party. Yeri grabs Wendy and they head off.

It didn’t take long before Jisoo stopped to rest. She felt sweat clinging to her and the chilly breeze swiping against her. She felt so dumb for not grabbing her jacket before running away. She sighs and looks around. The area looks completely remote and there’s no sign of any roads or directions. Jisoo feels her back pocket and her phone wasn’t there either. She started grabbing her hair at how careless she was. Everyone must be so worried for her. Suddenly, a branch snaps behind her and she looks back. It was Seulgi. It felt like an old story that they had re-lived over and over again.