Chapter 19 - Seulgi and Jisoo - Part 1

Sweet Potassium


Love comes in our most unexpected moments of our lives. The bell rings and you answer its call. Sometimes a slight glance and the eyes meet and that was all that is required for two people to fall in love. Sometimes you might strike a connection so deep with the man or lady in the bus and never see them again. Other times, it's superficial and you fall for someone’s appearance but nonetheless, it becomes real over time. If you really think about it, every love story is predictable and ends the same way. Guy meets girl or girl meets girl in this case and they either end up together or not. Fifty, fifty but either way, that is one of the two endings only available in a love story. Despite its predictability, everyone still falls prey to it and unexpectedly, love has a thousand ways to torture you despite only having two endings.

One of the ways happened when Joy was introduced to Wendy by her friend, Yeri. It only took a single moment for her to fall for the girl with short hair. But to be fair, Joy had also taken only a single moment to fall in love with Irene, Yeri and Seulgi. And who could blame her, somehow all of her friends look like idols. She first confessed to Irene to which Irene rejected her, saying that she’s too tall for her. The second confession was to Seulgi, who said she’s flattered but she likes cute types. The third confession went to Yeri who just said ‘Ew’. Hence, Joy bravely embarks on her latest obsession when Yeri introduced her to a bakery. The moment she set foot in the bakery named ‘Blue Garden’, the cheerful baker girl greeted her. The smell of baked good and sugary breeze passes her by. The baker girl had short hair with an oversized apron which made her look extra cute. She had clear brown eyes paired with faint cherry lips. Despite the bits of flour stuck to her arms and neck, her bright smile overshadowed everything.

“I’m in love.” Joy whispered to Yeri.

“Again? Really?

“You didn’t tell me the owner of this bakery is so hot, I would have dressed better!”

Yeri looked at her crazy friend from top to bottom and made a disgusted face.

“Really? You’re wearing a black Balenciaga dress and high heels to a neighborhood bakery.”

“I can always be more beautiful. More perfect.”

“Gross. Don’t even try it.”

“Too late, I’m going in.”

Joy strides forward to greet the baker while Yeri makes a pouty face.

“Hi~ My name is Joy.”

“Hi, Joy. I’m Wendy!”

“I heard amazing things about you!” Joy gestures toward Yeri and Wendy makes a big wave at her to which Yeri gives a patronizing nod. Wendy tends to make overly big movements and it tends to embarrass her friends.

“Say, Wendy. Would you like to be my friend?”

“Sure!”

“Stop! You’re just here to buy bread!” Yeri intervenes but Joy pushes her aside without batting an eyelid just as Yeri comes between her and Wendy.

“Sure, I would love to have more joy in my life~”

Joy blushes at the comment and reciprocates.

“I can give you all the joy you need.”

The duo hit it off as friends immediately much to the dismay of Yeri. Thus began a week-long event of daily bread. Joy went to Wendy’s bakery everyday to buy bread. It was bread for breakfast, lunch and dinner. And when she purchased too many, which is all the time, she would share it with her friends.

“Bread again?” Irene groaned.

“Please, I need rice. Stop buying so much bread.” Yeri whimpered.

“I don’t mind. It’s still pretty yummy to me.” Seulgi gives her friend a thumbs up for the free food.

“I knew it. Only Seulgi knows me the best! Keep eating for me. I need an excuse to see Wendy everyday.”

“Why do you need to see Seungwan daily?” Seulgi asked.

“Because she is my sunshine. My darling. My one and only~”

“What?! When did that happen?” Seulgi turned wide-eyed at the declaration.

“Stuff it. She’s just having another phase of infatuation.” Yeri grumbled.

“It’s true love!” Joy shouted.

“No more bread. Get us rice or noodles instead.” Seulgi throws a bun at Joy.

“Just ask her out and get it over with!” Irene chides the younger girl.

“That’s why all of y’all are single. You have to be ritualistic about such things.”

The three other girls roll their eyes in sync. It wasn’t even that long ago that Joy asked each of them out and got rejected. Joy ignores them and continues.

“7 more days. I’ll test her out a bit everyday before asking Wendy out.”

“Why Sunday?” Yeri asked.

“Cause Sunday is church day?”

“I didn’t know you’re a Christian.” Seulgi said.

“I’m not. But God’s taking notes on Sunday so I’m praying he hears mine when I ask Wendy out.”

“God, you’re impossible.” Irene makes a face at the obscure reasoning.

“I promise you won’t last till Sunday. Wendy-unnie is impossibly dense.” Yeri smirks.

Joy ignores the advice. Why would she care about the opinion of a bunch of single losers when she’s about to get a cute small girlfriend by this time next week? And so the next seven days of probing started. It was Monday and Joy strolls into Wendy’s bakery at 8am on the dot.

“Hey Wendy-unnie, are we close friends?”

“Of course, Joy! You’re so tall and beautiful. You’re literally my idol.”

“I’m not satisfied with that though.”

“What do you mean?”

“What do you think if we become more than friends?”

“You mean like best friends? Sure!”

Joy left the bakery with two full bags of bread and sobbing dramatically while driving her way back home. It was then Tuesday.

“Wendy-unnie, my neck and back are sore…”

“Oh what happened?”

“My bed is really stiff and it cramped up my neck.”

“Oh no, how can I help?”

“I heard your bed is extra comfy, how about…”

“I know my bed is extra comfy, that’s why I sleep in it! I’ll text you the brand!”

Joy repeated her previous routine. Wednesday came.

“Hey Wendy-unnie, are you thirsty?”

“A little. Why? Are you?

“I’m really thirsty.” Joy eyes up the smaller girl, making sure to show her flirty gaze. She continues.

“How about I buy you a drink?”

“No thank you. I have my own drink! It has electrolytes and vitamin C in it!”

Hence Thursday. Joy decided to stir the topic to a more ual approach.

“Unnie, I heard on the radio that female armpits release pheromones. Do you think that’s true?”

“Really? Interesting. Which radio station is that?”

“Nevermind that. Just tell me what you think about it.”

“I don’t know. I need to do research on it.”

“I believe it. My pits are always clean and shiny.”

“I bet it is!”

“What about you?”

“About what?”

“Are you shaven too?”

“I mean, do you see a beard on me?”

“What?”

“What?”

Joy left the bakery feeling more confused than when she walked in. With frustration in her eyes, she decided to be more direct. Thus Friday.

“So Unnie. Do you have a lot of… experience?”

“Hell yeah! I worked as a tutor, finance intern, vocal coach, part time convenience store worker, company employee and finally baker!”

Joy gritted her teeth and soldiers on.

“So what's your favorite position?”

“Baker, of course!”

“THAT’S NOT WHAT I’M ASKING!”

“Huh?”

“For example… My favorite is missionary. You get it now?”

“Missionary? I already go to church though?”

“Forget it!”

Joy left again feeling defeated. She thought about her questions overnight and added more fire to it. Here comes Saturday.

“Unnie, it sure is hot in here.” Joy s the top of her shirt.

“It’s not though? The air-conditioner is running right now.”

“... okay. What do you think about being friends with benefits?” Joy thought to herself, I literally can’t be more obvious than this.

“Sure. I can give you some free bread today! I’ll give plenty of benefits, especially since you come by everyday!”

“... Okay. How about one night stands then?”

“Oh, I don’t need them. I already have two night stands in my room. It’s plenty bright there.”

“... OKAY. I want to get in your pants. Get it now?”

“Hohoho, don’t be silly, Joy. My pants are obviously too tight for you! I’m so much shorter than you as well! It’d be like wearing ankle pants for you.”

Joy decided, no more games. Just ask her out directly tomorrow. With flowers. And chocolates. There is no way that Wendy wouldn’t get it this time. On Sunday, Joy dropped by with a shirt collar shirt, black blazer and pants that made her look extra dashing with a mixture of androgynous beauty.

“Wendy-unnie, I like you.”

“I like you too, Joy.”

“No, like like-like. You get it?”

“Yeah!”

Joy sighs.

“No, you don’t. I mean like I want to be more than friends. And I don’t mean best friends.”

“Like super best friends?”

“... Okay. Let’s try that again. Like would you like to have dinner tonight?”

“Of course! I like dinner tonight. In fact, I have dinner every night!”


A singular teardrop rolled across Joy’s face and she threw the flowers and chocolates down. She ran out of the bakery in the most dramatic fashion she knows how.


“See, I told you.” Yeri gives off an extra annoying smirk at Joy.

“Don’t worry about it. That’s just Seungwan.” Seulgi added.

“You’re one to talk about this.” Joy rebuked.

“What do you mean?”

“That’s true. Seulgi and Wendy are similar. Their romance detection is flat out broken but somehow they are strangely perceptive to wrong signals.” Irene observed.

“Huh, I don’t get it?” Seulgi scratched her head.

“That’s kind of true. Wendy-unnie tends to get the wrong signals and fall for the wrong person. So do you too, Seulgi-unnie.” Yeri chimed in. Joy nodded her head vigorously.

“Tha..that is so not true.” Seulgi grumbled at the claim.

“Who cares what you think. Console me for I am inconsolable. Relieve me of this great pain. Release me of my profound misery.” Joy wailed dramatically.

“Oh shut it, I warned you but you wouldn’t listen.” Yeri sighed.

“I’m going out clubbing tonight. You guys come along and help me get over this heartbreak.” Joy ignored the younger girl and continued.

“I’m out.”

“Me too. I’m out.”

“Me three. I’m out.”

Joy was already making reservations and calling the other girls in her circle. Irene, Seulgi and Yeri were about to leave but Joy made a sudden declaration.

“Jennie’s coming.”

Alright, I’ll come. Reluctantly.” Irene stopped in her tracks and replied quickly.

“What just happened?” Yeri squinted her eyes at the sudden turn of events.

“Jennie’s friend is coming too. She knows the owner. It’ll be free drinks for us.” Joy continued.

“Fine, I’m coming too then.” Yeri changes her tone suddenly too.

“What? You guys leaving me out? I’m coming along then.” Seulgi added and starts texting on her phone.

“Don’t you dare.” Joy snatches away the phone from Seulgi.

“What?”

“You were gonna text Wendy right? She broke my heart. She wasted the best years of my life! She is my worst enemy!” Joy cried out loudly

“Stop being overly dramatic and stop quoting Uncle Vanya. I’ll see you guys and Jennie tonight.” Irene sounded annoyed but had a thin layer of excitement in her voice.


Unfortunately for Seulgi, she had dance practice that day and the session was running late. Everyone had already gone on ahead while Seulgi waited to wrap things up. She received a few texts hurrying her but she could only text back apologies. Without much time, she could only take a quick shower and dress herself in her casual jeans and white tee. She borrowed a leather jacket from her colleague and bunched her hair up into a bun with scattering strands of hair near her sides. She received yet another text from Irene before she was about to head out.

IRENE
Come quickly. Joy’s going out of control.

SEULGI
What happened?

IRENE
She’s sitting near the middle of the dance floor sobbing about how she can’t find love and eating a piece of watermelon.

SEULGI
What the heck?

IRENE
Don’t question it. Just come. We’re busy pulling her back to our table so we can’t receive you.

SEULGI
How am I going to get in? I’ll have to wait at the line @_@

IRENE
Jennie’s friend will be there. She’ll get you in the door.

SEULGI
What does she look like?

IRENE
White high waist pants. Black tank-top.


Seulgi got on her bike and started riding across town. She started to worry that Seungwan would shout at her again if she knew that she didn’t sell her bike yet and is still zipping around in that thing. Seungwan calls it a death machine but Seulgi thought it was just a normal bike (that looks badass) and it's cheaper than maintaining a car. After 30 minutes, she arrived at the club to find a long line with a bouncer side eyeing everyone. It seems the club is full and he has no intention of letting anyone in. Seulgi texted Irene again when she didn’t see anyone with Irene’s description.  Someone suddenly tapped Seulgi's shoulders but the girl has an black overcoat covering her outfit.

“Cool bike.”

“Thanks.” Seulgi kept her answers short whenever talking to strangers. It made her seem unfriendly and cold but she didn’t really care.

“The owner is just as cool as the bike, huh?”

“You need something?”

“Not really. Just out here for some fresh air.”

“Right.”

“You’re not one for words, huh?”

“Look, lady. I’m just waiting for a friend. Go enjoy your fresh air somewhere else.” Seulgi sighed. She was late already and the fatigue from her dance session was setting in.

“Rough night?”

“Tell me about it.”

“My friend’s having a rough night too. She got dumped and is now making a mess inside the club.”

“That sounds like my friend too.”

“Then… isn’t it likely I’m the one you’re waiting for?”

“Wait, you’re Jennie’s friend?”

Seulgi finally matched her eyes with the girl. She finally noticed the pants and top covertly hiding behind the coat. Now that Seulgi is properly looking at her, It was the first time she had seen someone so cleanly beautiful. She had large eyes and a shapely nose with full red lips. The girl had straight long hair running down her shoulders and clear eyes looking back at her.

“Yeah, I am. I’m Jisoo.”

“Sorry about that, I didn’t know. I’m Seulgi.”

“All good. You still wanna go in?”

“Yeah, of course.”

“I would advise against it. Joy is running a train in there. We’ll probably be kicked out soon.”

“How bad can it be?”

Just as Seulgi said so, a loud crashing noise rumbled from the night club. A few bouncers start running in and a few customers start to run out.

“Okay. That sounds bad.”

“Right?”

“Well, Joy’s having a bad day. Or week. Or month. I’m not sure.”

“What happened to her?”

“She got rejected by Irene. Then me. Then Yeri. Then our mutual friend, Wendy.”

“Ouch. Four rejections. That explains the big rage energy coming out of her tonight.”

“Yeah.”

“Why did they reject her though? She’s extremely beautiful. First I laid my eyes on her, I thought she was an idol.”

“I don’t know. I’ve never seen Irene unnie in love before. Yeri is just… well, Yeri.”

“What about you?”

“I don’t do love.”

“Yeah, I agree. I don’t do love too. Love’s stupid.”

“Yeah, it makes you crazy. Do crazy things.”

Just as Seulgi mentioned, another crashing sound drums loudly in the club. She hears someone shouting, ‘Alright, that’s enough!’ before the steps grow louder and louder.

“I think that’s our cue.”

“Yeah.”

Before long, the bouncers dragged Joy out of the club. Irene, Jennie and Yeri follow after, pretending not to know the troublemaker. Wherever Joy turned to look, her friends avoided eye contact. Irene finally grabbed the tall girl and pulled her into a cab when it arrived. The others left one by one until it was just Seulgi, Jennie and Jisoo. Seulgi sighed again, wishing that she didn't have to come all this way for nothing. She revved up the engine and was ready to leave after bidding farewells.

“This is me. Nice to meet you, Jisoo.”

“Yeah. Nice to meet you too. Seulgi who doesn't do love.”

“Hey, you said you agree with me.”

“Yeah, I do agree.”

“Alright then. Goodbye, Jennie. Goodbye, Jisoo who also doesn’t do love.”

Seulgi drives off into the night until she becomes a small speck of light into the horizon. Jisoo kept staring until the dot disappeared. Jennie stares at her friend with a cheeky smile.

“That’s the first time I see you so talkative, Sooya.”

“She’s so cool.”

“Seulgi? Really? She’s a big softie though.”

“No way, she has the whole getup. With the leather jacket and bike. She’s crazy cool.”

“Well… I guess she does have the icy-look down.”

“Right? And the way she talked to me just now.”

“Why? What did she say?”

“She said…” Jisoo clears a bit and tried to mimic Seulgi’s voice.”

“Go enjoy your fresh air somewhere else.”

Jennie squeals at the one-liner before Jisoo continues.

“I don’t do love.”

“Seulgi said that? No way.”

“Yeah, she did. She’s my ideal type. Independant and badass.”

“Well, whatever it is… don’t fall too hard and fast.”

“Yeah, of course. Don’t you know who I am?”

“Yeah, I do. You’re Jisoo who also doesn’t do love.” Jennie flicks her finger playfully at Jisoo’s hair.