Chapter 5

Sweet Potassium

            On the wistful morning, Jennie is to first to show up near the bakery. It is the last week of the year and there is a nagging sense of finality. It makes her wonder what she has done for the past year and if she had given it her all. When the holiday ends, a dreaded mundane office life awaits her. On days like this, Jennie wishes for excitement and adventure. If only she could just fly off to another country and never look back. Or to withdraw all her savings and burn in all in a crazy gambit. Anything or something to make her feel more alive, like she mattered. On her long and yet longer list of new year’s resolution, she can check off at least one thing today; that she is the earliest to arrive amongst her friends. The morning is windy cold, and it is still another 30 minutes before the group meeting time. A warm and welcoming café across the street beckon at her to rest for a bit before the crazy day starts. At the very least, she welcomes the fact that the last of her 20s is spent doing something ridiculous and fun with her friends.

 

            Perhaps she was too distracted or too careless, she didn’t notice until it was too late when she went through the cafe door. A lady with familiar cat eyes stares right at her and it made her felt like she got caught in a trap. Turns out that Irene is the earliest to arrive and it looks like she has been enjoying breakfast by herself for quite a while now. With a book in her hand and soft daylight dancing at her feet, Irene looks like someone who came straight out of a painting. She’s cladded in a sweater white as snow and pants darker than night. Jennie hates to admit it, but the lady exudes elegance and pure unadulterated beauty. Irene’s eyes seem to pierce right into her soul, as if daring her to just leave the cafe and her alone. The thing is, a cat wouldn’t mind losing to a dog like a mouse to a cat. But when another cat shows up at your territory, then you know there is only one of them coming out on top. Jennie steels herself and sits down at the table before being asked.
 


JENNIE
I thought you said you couldn’t make it.

IRENE
I don’t recall saying that.

JENNIE
Oh right, the word you use to describe this outing was…’childish’, was it not?

IRENE
I believe so.

JENNIE
Then why are you here?

IRENE
Reading a book.

JENNIE
I see. So, you’ll leave straight after your book, right?

IRENE
I don’t know. It is a long book.

JENNIE
Okay, just to be clear, I wouldn’t catch you around us later, being ‘childish’.

IRENE
That depends.

JENNIE
On what?

IRENE
I think helping a friend is admirable. Having fun at their expense, not so much.

JENNIE
That’s your definition? Sounds like bad rhetoric to me.

IRENE
Well, if you have trouble understanding, I can give better examples of being childish to you.
 

JENNIE
Okay, why do you keep talking in circles? I thought you like honesty the most. Can’t you just admit that you are just like the rest of us?

IRENE
Hmm, where’s the fun in that?

 

Jennie grits her teeth and sits back. It’s almost like arguing against a brick wall or racing on treadmill when talking to this woman. The waiter comes over and she makes an order of hot cappuccino and toast with condensed milk. Irene has a smirk on her face the whole time and Jennie feels more and more pissed off by the second.


IRENE
Really? Dairy on both items? A little heavy in the morning, don’t you think?

JENNIE
Can you shut up. The only thing heavy is your makeup.

IRENE
I’m just giving you an example of being childish though? By that, I mean your response.

JENNIE
You’re the devil, you know that?


            Jennie gives the lady an incredulous look and shifts her chair sideways. She would rather look at empty seats or uncleared tables in the café than look at Irene. In fact, if the windows outside is raining hellfire, it would still be a preferable sight. She munches her toast angrily while Irene stares at her, amused. Thankfully, Joy, Seulgi and Yeri joins their table in time before the situation gets more uncomfortable for Jennie. Jisoo is the last to drag her feet in with her usual thick beige overcoat and a new addition of dark sunglasses, she sees Joy and Yeri snickering amongst themselves and she starts to regret her choice of friends.


JISOO
For the last time, this is not the breakup look.

YERI
It’s okay, unnie. I too, cover my eyes when they are puffy red from crying.

Jisoo takes off her sunglasses to reveal… nothing. It is business as usual today and if anything, she looks mostly unaffected.

JOY
Omo, how brave.

JENNIE/IRENE
Stop teasing her.

YERI
Wow, at the same time? Jennie unnie and Irene unnie have such great chemistry. And here I thought you two don’t get along.

JOY
Omo, how in tune.

JENNIE
Who the hell has chemistry with this person? The both of you better keep your mouths shut.

SEULGI
So what’s the plan today? Let’s just go into the bakery and hang out there?

 

A tall figure looming in the background suddenly moves forward with menus in his hand. The waiter is dressed impeccably with white shirt and long black trousers, showing off his perfect proportions. The pair of monolid eyes stare at the group with a hint of fear, apprehension and doubt.
 


WAITER
The bakery? Wendy-nim’s bakery?

SEULGI
Yeah! You know Seungwan too?

WAITER
Yeah, Wendy-nim is our pastry and bread supplier at Moodz café. Sorry to eavesdrop, but did I just hear you guys are going to ‘hang out’ at Blue Garden?

JOY
Yeah, pretty much.

YERI
We did our homework on the ‘Garden’. Look at us, we’re all dressed up.

WAITER
Okay, all of you girls are very beautiful and no one will bat an eyelid if you waltz into the ‘Garden’ but NOBODY, and I mean nobody ever hangs out at Blue Garden, alright? Haven’t you heard? It’s called the heartbreak bakery.

SEULGI
Yeah! We have to be careful, so we don’t get our heart ‘breakery’. Get it, guys?

 

The group cringes at the pun and the waiter has a deadpan look on his face. Seulgi tries to explain the pun and Jisoo stops her from going further. The waiter pretends that he didn’t hear the previous sentence and carries on with his explanation.
 


WAITER
The stories you hear are all true. No matter who you are or what you do, something in the ‘Garden’ that lulls you into a false sense of security. The moment you let your guard down... an ‘encounter’ will happen.

IRENE
Encounter?

WAITER
Yeah, like one of those dating sims game. You will trigger a romance flag and things… will get out of hand. Like getting into a relationship then breaking up a few months later and every time you walk past the bakery, you will be reminded of the one who got away or how your ex loves the lemon tarts there and shopping at the ‘Garden’ becomes a traumatic trigger.

JISOO
C’mon, it can’t be that bad.

SEULGI
Then what do we do?

WAITER
My advice? Go in, grab your bread, pay and leave.
 

 

The waiter leaves the group after taking their orders and an ominous air loom over them. Everyone scan their eyes at each other but the maknae is the first to break the silence.
 


YERI
That’s just nonsense. I’ve been to Wendy unnie’s bakery tons of time before, it’ll be fine. I’m going in hot now.

 

            Yeri leaves her bag behind and carries her wallet and phone with her. The gang watches the youngest leave the café and walk right across the street and into the bakery like a flock of perched owls, unmoved but observing. As soon as Yeri enters the bakery, the smell of freshly baked goods enchants her senses and a small hint of coffee periodically whiffs around her. The vintage charming décor of the ‘Garden’ looks straight out of a fantasy novel and even though it is quite early, the wide selection of baked goods spread from corner to corner of the store. Two customers can be seen conversing to an animated Wendy at the cashiers. Yeri walks boldly towards the chatty baker, dressed in uniform and apron with a tight ponytail.


YERI
Wendy unnie!

WENDY
Hey, Yerms. What’s up? It’s so early.

YERI
Nothing, just here to hang.

WENDY
Ah okay, can you hold on a bit? I’ll be with you once I’m done with Minjeong and Karina.

KARINA

Sorry to hold up the line, unnie.

MINJEONG
Unnie, can I get your number? So, we can order our bread for pickup next time.

YERI
Don’t bother, Wendy unnie don’t answer calls, ever.

KARINA
Really? She answers my call all the time though.

YERI
What?

WENDY
Yeah, don’t listen to her. I’ll answer your call. Minjeong-ah, your phone is nice, but it’ll be nicer with my number in it.
 


            The two customers squeal at the cheesy line while Yeri rolls her eyes at the scene. Wendy flashes her biggest, brightest smile while packing up the goods for the girls.
 


WENDY
Here, a roll cake on the house for our lovely Minjeong. It’s your birthday this Saturday, right?

MINJEONG
I can’t believe you remembered, unnie. Thank you so much!

WENDY
Anything for my favorite dongsaengs.
 


            Yeri nearly pops a blood vessel at the sentiment. There are a million things she wants to say but she clenches her fist instead and waits for the customers to leave before unloading on her unnie.


YERI
‘Favourite’ dongsaengs?

WENDY
They are precious, aren’t they? Minjeong and Karina are my two best dongsaengs.

YERI
I AM YOUR TWO BEST DONGSAENGS!

WENDY
Of course, Yerms. Don’t get jealous, it’s just lip service.

YERI
And you answer their phone calls? You ignore my calls all the time.

WENDY
Yerim-ah, I’m close enough to you that I feel comfortable not answering.

YERI
What about the roll cake? I’m so disappointed, Wendy unnie. You have never given me a roll cake on my birthday before.

WENDY
We’re clos-

YERI
Don’t give me that excuse again. Seulgi unnie got one for her birthday too!

WENDY
Aw, Yerms, come here and give me a hug. Don’t be mad.

YERI
I won’t be if you start packing me that roll cake, right now.

WENDY
That’ll be 8.90, please.

YERI
WHAT? Make it free! May I remind you that I am very upset right now?

WENDY
Oh okay. It’ll be 8.90, please. Do you still want it?

YERI
Okay, fine! I’ll pay but I’ll have you know I’ll be eating that roll cake VERY ANGRILY.

WENDY
Will it be to go, or will you be having it here?

YERI
TO GO!

Yeri leaves with the bag and returns to the gang with a pouty expression. The waiter stands at the side with a look of smugness.

WAITER
I told you so.

JOY
Uh-oh, that was fast.


JISOO
What happened?

YERI
I don’t want to talk about it.

IRENE
Did Seungwan do something?

YERI
I SAID I DON’T WANT TO TALK ABOUT IT.

JENNIE
Wow, heart equals broken. The myths are real.

 

            Yeri looks into the bag and finds an assortment of desert such as eclairs, chocolate chip cookies, cream puffs, macaroons and canale in it along with a note with that says ‘on the house ;)’ in it. The gifts lift her gloomy mood immediately and Yeri almost breaks into a smile, but she keeps the happy feelings to herself. She wouldn’t want people know how much she likes her Wendy unnie. The girls decide to draw lots and go in groups next. When Jennie gets an odd number along with Irene, she rolls her eyes at the older girl. They make their way across the street with one of them taking quick steps and the older following at her own pace.


WENDY
Jennie! What’s the good word.

JENNIE
What’s with that greeting? That’s so old fashioned.

The door chime rings again and Irene walks in lazily.

JENNIE
Oh yeah, this one is here too.

IRENE
Hey, Seungwan.

WENDY
Joohyun unnie! Good morning, you guys just missed Yeri. She came by a while ago.

JENNIE/IRENE
Yeah, I know.

WENDY
Wow, you guys have so much chemistry. Are you two on a date?

JENNIE
Son Seungwan, did you wake up today with the intent to insult me?

 

            Jennie breezes past with a tray and starts looking at the selection of bread. Irene just shrugs at Wendy and follows after.

 

IRENE
What are we supposed to do anyway?

JENNIE
Can you not stand so close to me? I think the plan is to see if Wendy has any suitors or gather any intel that can help Seulgi.

IRENE
Grab that ham croissant.

JENNIE
Get your own tray, woman.

IRENE
I don’t get it. Why don’t we just ask Seungwan directly?

JENNIE
Because unlike you, we’re a group of civilized people that speaks the language of subtlety.

IRENE
That red bean one is tasty.

JENNIE
Urgh, don’t put your bread on my tray!

IRENE
I can do subtlety.

Irene turns around and waves at Wendy to come over. The young baker smiles brightly and starts removing her apron before approaching them.

JENNIE
Okay, wow. That was about as subtle as a sledgehammer.

WENDY
What is it, Joohyun unnie.

IRENE
Seungwan-ah, supposed you are a guy, who amongst our friends will you date?

WENDY
Hmm… Seulgi? She’s cute, kind and we’re the same age. What about you, unnie?

IRENE
I’ll pick Jennie if she’s taller so I’ll guess I’ll go with Joy instead.

JENNIE
Hello? Are you picking a fight with me? You’re shorter than me.

 

            Jennie huffs loudly and walks away to pick out more food on her growing hill of bread tray. The two girls follow behind and stare at her intensely.
 


JENNIE
What?

WENDY
Who would you pick?

JENNIE
Jisoo.

IRENE
Why?

JENNIE
Who cares. I’m not gonna answer that.

WENDY
That makes sense. Jisoo is a lovely girl too.

IRENE
What about dealbreakers? Like a personality trait or habit you can’t stand?

WENDY
Hmm… I don’t like confrontational people or a person that doesn’t appreciate me. It’s also suffocating when someone is inflexible and rigid. What about you, Jennie?

Jennie stops on the spot and turns around to stare at Irene.

JENNIE
I don’t like hypocrites. I don’t like conceited people. I don’t like rude people.

IRENE
Even if they are good looking?

JENNIE
Especially if they are good looking.

WENDY
What about you, Joohyun unnie?

IRENE
Probably presumptuous people, I guess? What about… if you are stuck on an island and you absolutely have to choose someone in our gang as your partner. Even if they’re the same as you…

WENDY
Well… I like both boys and girls, so I don’t think that’s much of an issue. Yeri and Sooyoung is out of the question, they won’t last a day in the wilderness. Logically… probably you, unnie? You seem like the kind that can survive. If I throw logic out of the window… probably still Seulgi.

IRENE
I’ll pick Jennie if she’s more interesting so I’ll go with Kim Yeri instead.

JENNIE
I don’t know who I’d pick but I definitely know who not to pick. Even if it’s the end of the world, even if everyone else had perish and it’s just the two of us, even if the alternative is a serial killer, I would still not pick you, Bae Joohyun.

           

            Jennie takes her mountain of bread to the counter without looking back, leaving the two girls behind. Jennie didn’t dare to look back at the them because she thought she might have gone a little far and her tone was rather unkind. Wendy rings up her purchases with a comforting smile and she sighs a breath a relief. If Wendy is fine with it then it was probably not that bad. She hears footsteps leaving the shop and Wendy shouting goodbye to her Joohyun unnie before looking back. For the briefest of moment, she thought Irene has a look of hurt in her eyes. Jennie feels a sense of guilt and follows back to the café shortly after.