soothing.

fatum
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Chaeyoung.” Mina nudged her arm gently, not wanting to piss her off early in the morning.

 

“Five more minutes.” She begged, raising her arm and extending her fingers for Mina to see.

 

“You said that 10 minutes ago.” Although she found the situation adorable, but they would be late for their first day of school if Chaeyoung didn’t start getting ready soon.

 

“Fine.” The younger sat up on her bed and rubbed her eyes. Her hair was everywhere except where it was supposed to be, so she tried combing it with her fingers, but because it had been bleached recently, they got stuck halfway through. “I’m going to shower, give me ten.” The shorter girl said while grabbing some clothes on the way to the bathroom.

 

“Okay, I’ll wait here.” Mina admired the view, it was so endearing she thought being late might be worth it. She had no idea how they would get to school or where it was, but she trusted Chaeyoung.

 

' She sings in the shower.' Mina smiled at the new information while putting on her shoes.

 

This uniform looked way better on her than the one from her school back in Japan, or at least that’s what she had concluded on after staring at her reflection until Chaeyoung came out of the shower, steam following behind her.

 

“Sorry, I forgot my skirt.” Chaeyoung unashamedly searched for the item in her closet and, after finding it, slipped it past her legs and zipped it up. She didn’t think it was a big deal, they were both girls after all. But apparently, Mina didn’t think the same because the younger found her staring at the floor in embarrassment.

 

Mina’s face was as red as a tomato, and she knew it shouldn’t be. All she had seen was Chaeyoung putting on her skirt and tucking her shirt in it, yet she felt it was something she wasn’t supposed to see, or at least not like this. ' Nice thoughts, Mina. Think about something else.'

 

“It’s alright, you know? You’re acting like me when I’m watching a movie with my parents and a scene comes up.” She chuckled and continued trying to tie her tie.

 

“Sorry, I’m just not used to living with other people like this.” Mina smiled shyly. It was an innocent lie, there was no need of telling her roommate the real reason.

 

“I understand.” Chaeyoung huffed and cursed under her breath. She had forgotten how to do this.

 

“Do you need help?” Mina regretted it immediately, 'Why do you do this to yourself?'

 

“Please.”

 

“Okay.” She approached Chaeyoung and took the tie from her shoulders, passing it around her own neck and making the knot. It was either that or blushing again. “And,” She slipped it past Chaeyoung’s head and left it hanging for the younger to adjust. “done.”

 

Chaeyoung looked away, she was feeling funny. “Thank you.”

 

“Anytime.” She smiled in return.

 

Mina spent a few minutes on her phone, waiting for Chaeyoung to gather all of her stuff. The day was beautiful; if only she didn’t have school today.

 

“Let’s go.” Chaeyoung pointed at Mina with her palm up, curling her fingers inside it. She followed but was quickly stopped before they walked out of the front door. “Wait.”

 

Mina obeyed. She was really nervous for her first day so she would take anything that gave her more time.

 

“Can you give me your number?” The younger fiddled with her phone, tapping on the black screen. “You know, in case there’s an emergency or something.”

 

Mina wanted to squeal, 'Jesus Christ, have mercy on me. She’s so damn cute.' Taking her hand out, she was immediately handed the device, in which she fastly typed the requested digits before giving it back. “Here.”

 

The moment was interrupted by a thunderous honk. “, let’s go.”

 

“Good morning, beautiful ladies!” A voice Mina didn’t recognize exclaimed.

 

“Jeong! It’s been forever.” Chaeyoung fist-bumped the girl on the passenger’s side.

 

“I know. Nayeon has been keeping me for herself.”

 

“I didn’t know she was staying for the night.” She looked over Jeongyeon, keeping her eyes on Nayeon, who was in the driver’s seat.

 

“I’m full of surprises, my dear.”

 

Mina slid through the back seat once she felt the small talk was over, and the youngest quickly came after.

 

“Mina.” Nayeon looked at her through the rearview mirror and smirked.

 

“Hi!” The Japanese woman replied, offering a big smile.

 

“Did she do it?”

 

Mina closed her eyes and showed an amused grin, “Just now.”

 

Chaeyoung was confused about the whole situation. Who were they talking about? Was it about her? If so, why? Why did her best friend already have secrets with Mina? She had so many questions, but asking would make her look… interested? She didn’t know why, but she had this urge of keeping a chill and unfazed facade in front of Mina.

 

--- (the previous night) ---

 

“Mina.” Nayeon grabbed her arm to keep her from leaving.

 

“Yeah?”

 

“Do you have Instagram?”

 

“Yeah.” Mina smiled but decided to keep the conversation going for a bit longer, taking her phone out of her pocket. “Why don’t you give me yours? I have my phone now.”

 

“Sure.” Nayeon took it and started typing.

 

“Can I ask if there’s a specific reason?” She cleared and raised her eyebrows in curiosity.

 

“Yes, there is. Chaeyoung told me she is shy about asking, and I can totally rub this in her face now.” Nayeon let out a chuckle. “She’s going to ask you for your number tomorrow. Just so you know.”

 

Mina was so curious about how she knew all this, she tried pushing her luck a bit more. “Can I ask you something?”

 

“Shoot. Not literally, though.”

 

“Does she-” She breathed out and gathered the courage to ask the question that could make a fool out of her, “you know, like girls?”

 

Nayeon hummed, she definitely didn’t want to intervene or change the course of how their relationship was supposed to go, so she settled on staying quiet. “I think that’s something she should answer. She didn’t before, but she was questioning it- It’s complicated.”

 

That was better than nothing, right? “Thanks, I hope you have a nice date.” Mina bowed and turned to go back home.

 

“I won’t say anything, so don’t worry about that.” Nayeon said before going back.

 

“I appreciate it.” She gave Nayeon one last smile before leaving.

 

Mina sat on the front porch for a while before entering the house again. She began by thinking about how badly she had misjudged Nayeon. The girl was really sweet, and it seemed like she only had Chaeyoung’s best interest in mind. She had misinterpreted the whole situation because of the mere fact they were close.

 

Secondly, she contemplated whether her feelings for Chaeyoung were romantic or platonic. She certainly was a bit infatuated by the short girl, but could it ever be more than that?

 

Her mind couldn’t stop running around how Chaeyoung had protected her the night before and taken care of her after.

 

She had been awake while Chaeyoung got her ready for bed, and even though she couldn’t open her eyes to confirm her suspicions, she could feel the eyes staring at her. Her mind was a mess, but just in case her feelings changed, she refrained from speaking up about it. It was too soon.

 

--- (present) ---

 

“Welcome to hell, Mina.” Nayeon joked while getting out of the car.

 

Opposite to what Nayeon had said, Mina thought the place was beautiful. After walking past the main gate, her sight was enamored by the contrasting colors of grass and flowers. The large garden was a riot of color – that she would probably get to see change as some flowers fade and new plants with different colored flowers burst into bloom. The delightful smells that wafted through the summer air and the sounds of birds chirping, it was a scenery that only Mother Nature herself could have possibly created.

 

“Wow.” Was all that could leave her lips.

 

“I know.” Chaeyoung stood next to her to admire the view, “I like sitting at,” she pointed at a Jacaranda tree on the other side of the garden, “that tree, especially when we have a free period. The only downside is that the flowers get on all of my clothes.” She chuckled.

 

“It’s beautiful.” She closed her eyes to fully admire the fragrance of freshly cut grass mixed with the flower's perfume.

 

“Mina!”

 

Before she got to reply, she was surrounded by arms hugging her waist. “Hi,” Mina tapped on the hands that sat on her stomach after a few seconds, turning around in a clean movement, “how are you feeling?”

 

“I’m alright.” Sana shoot her warm smile and retracted. “Have you seen Momo?”

 

“Not yet. Did you talk to her yesterday?”

 

“Yeah- Oh my, sorry for being so rude.” Sana spoke to the rest of the group that, up to now, had been witnessing the interaction without saying a word. “I’m Sana.”

 

Nayeon took it upon herself to introduce the group. Although they had met at the party on Saturday, they had barely exchanged words. “Nayeon,” she took her hand out but was instead embraced in a short hug, “I like you already. Anyways, this is Jeongyeon and Chaeyoung.” She pointed at them each and shook the latter’s hair.

 

“It’s nice to meet all of you, I hope we can be friends!” Sana was excited. Although she loved Japan and missed it a lot, this exchange program opened so many new possibilities for her. She got to be whoever she wanted to be, and even better, she got to do it with her best friends.

 

They all exchanged numbers and promised to keep in touch, especially since they would be seeing each other often.

 

“Hey.” Momo arrived just in time and put her arms over Mina’s and Sana’s shoulders, making a place for herself in between the two. “What’s up?”

 

Sana looked at her with compassionate eyes. Momo had called the other two Japanese women sobbing twelve hours ago, but she seemed completely fine and composed now. It was weird and they both knew it.

 

The two kindly excused themselves from the rest of the group and dragged Momo with them.

 

“How are you feeling?” Sana said with her sweet voice and pouted.

 

“I’m all good now. I was just a little sensitive last night, with all the change we’re going through and all.” She smiles happily, a little too happily.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter