strange feeling (pt. 2).

fatum
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Mina!” Her ears caught a familiar voice and she instantly turned. “Come here!” With open arms, Sana was ready to embrace her in a hug.

 

The girl ran to her, avoiding the sweaty bodies that were in the way, and settled her arms around Sana’s neck. It was soft, like a big bear hug, and she felt a thousand times better. When she retracted just enough to see Sana’s face, Mina noticed the look of mischief in her friend's eyes.

 

“Aren’t you going to introduce me to your friend?” She whispered into her ear.

 

Mina felt uncomfortable, but she told herself it was because seeing one of her best friends and her roommate dating would be weird. 'I met her yesterday, It's not like I like her.'  She reminded herself and faked a smile while nodding. She had thought about it while in the bathroom, and concluded that she couldn’t allow herself to see Chaeyoung that way. If their thing didn’t work her life would become a living hell until the end of the school year, and she wasn’t willing to take chances with this. Besides, she barely knew the girl; at most, it was infatuation.

 

They were walking to the couches where Mina had last seen her roommate and found Chaeyoung sitting on Nayeon’s lap because there weren’t any empty seats. The pair were both laughing at something and smiling, their giggles becoming louder as they added more things.

 

“Looks like I don’t have a chance.” Sana pouted for two seconds before smiling again. She wasn’t actually disappointed, but a one-night stand with a pretty girl like Chaeyoung was something Sana would have never refused to.

 

“I haven’t asked, but I’m pretty sure they’re together. Looks like you're not in luck today.” Mina replied. She wasn’t that sure, but it would make Sana back off and leave her at ease. Maybe it was because she was sure she couldn't stand a chance if she had to compete against a girl like Sana, but it was too early to tell more.

 

Approaching the girls sitting, Nayeon immediately got on her feet with a smile on her face to introduce herself to the Japanese girls.

 

After looking around from her place for a few minutes and not being able to see her, Nayeon asked Sana about her friend's wherabouts. “Where’s Tzuyu?” Chaeyoung also stared at the girl for a while; something about her was very attractive but she couldn’t pinpoint it, it was her whole aura.

 

“She went to get drinks, she’ll be back so-” She interrupted herself when there was a tap on her back, “now.”

 

Tzuyu joined the group and gave Chaeyoung the look. It was a look Tzuyu always did whenever she found a girl pretty and she wanted to let her friends know without having to say it out loud. Chaeyoung quickly noticed and discretely signaled to her right and her left, where Sana and Mina stood respectively. She was silently asking which one of the Japanese women she was talking about.

 

Tzuyu gave Sana one look and that’s all it took for Chaeyoung to understand. To help Tzuyu know her new crush better, Chaeyoung had to leave them alone.

 

“Wanna get some drinks?” She asked Mina, who was even quieter than usual.

 

Mina agreed, and so she led the way. Chaeyoung decided to see what Mina would take from the drinks table before grabbing something for herself. It was like a test. But, on the contrary, Mina was already tired of this place, so she chose alcohol. 'Maybe it will make me feel better.'  But, better about what? She didn’t know, it was an unfamiliar feeling that wouldn’t let her at ease. Looks like lately she didn't know anything.

 

She looked around and decided to prepare something Momo had mentioned once, vodka soda but with pink vodka. Why? She just thought it was cute and apparently, the alcohol couldn’t be tasted with this combination - perfect.

 

Chaeyoung looked at her from behind and closed the distance by pressing her front lightly against Mina’s back, whispering in her ear as she gulped on the beverage. “Slow down, we have to get home later.” She scolded in a not-so-serious way.

 

“I’m aware.” Mina replied without looking back. She was angry and the last thing she needed was being nagged because of something as stupid as this. Besides, she was convinced it was none of Chaeyoung’s business whether she drank or not.

 

Chaeyoung was a bit set back by this. She wondered if she had done or said something that might have been out of place that could’ve offended Mina but nothing came to mind, so she brushed it off. She was about to ask Mina to dance when a voice interrupted.

 

“Chaeng, I need your help with… something.” Nayeon pleaded. She asked Mina if she could steal her for a few seconds, something Mina of course couldn’t say no to.

 

Dragging her away to one of the secluded rooms upstairs (that were probably being used for other things), Nayeon hit her Chaeyoung's arm the second the door closed. “You son of a . 'I guess she’s pretty'” She mocked Chaeyoung’s words from the previous night with a high tone and frowning eyebrows. “She’s gorgeous, you ing liar.”

 

Chaeyoung sighed of relief, she was genuinely worried for a second something important might have happened. “I know” she huffed under her breath. Still, she didn’t want Nayeon to hear because she would probably be teased about it until the end of her days. The younger quickly changed the topic with an eyebrow raised, “What’s this about? I don’t want her to worry about me.”

 

“Jeong’s coming soon. Do I look okay?” She turned a few times to show off her outfit, insecurity all over her neatly contoured face.

 

“Nayeon,” She looked her up and down, something she had done too many times today, “I know you’re like my sister, but goddamn.” She grinned cheekily.

 

“I know.” Nayeon was always like that, she was aware of how pretty she was and she made sure to remind others as well.

 

“Let’s go?” Chaeyoung took her arm out and Nayeon locked it with her own out of reflex.

 

After checking the kitchen and the dance floor, they came to the conclusion that the girls had to be at the couches. And they were, so Chaeyoung decided to follow through with her previous plan.

 

Mina suddenly felt a finger touching her back repeatedly, she giggled because it felt like someone was knocking on her back. Maybe she wasn’t completely sober now, but she was too far gone to care.

 

“Yes?” She giggled and stared at Chaeyoung’s face for a few seconds too long, even tilting her own to the side to study it better.

 

"Do I have something on my face?" Chaeyoung analyzed her expression. Cheeks flushed and half-lidded eyes, she looked tired but also like she was having the time of her life. She debated with herself whether it was ethical to ask for a dance when the girl was clearly not fully there, but she didn’t get to finish.

 

“No. We’re dancing whether you like it or not, let's go.” Mina tugged Chaeyoung’s arm and dragged her across the dance floor until they were in the center, where bodies were closer than ever and the blinding lights glanced. She had no idea where she had gotten this burst of confidence, but she was willing to find out later.

 

Chaeyoung looked into Mina’s caramel eyes, “I don’t really dance.” She was lying. Chaeyoung had never been a great dancer but she tried her best, but right now she needed to get Mina home before something happened.

 

“Don't worry about that,” she sipped from her drink and laid her hand gracefully on Chaeyoung’s shoulders, “all you have to do is follow me.”

 

She let go. Chaeyoung left her responsible side behind and decided to be selfish for just a few minutes. As the thrumming rhythm of the music resonated in her ears, she closed her eyes and began to dance, only focusing on the moment.

 

Songs passed and they were holding tightly of each other, something neither of them had done before. Mina had only been involved in something like this when she was assigned duets during her dance classes. But still, she always made sure to pull away the second it was no

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter