tossing and turning.

fatum
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It all started on a normal mid-august afternoon when Chaeyoung received an email from school inviting her to a meeting before classes started, where they would give them important information about the course and any books they had to buy.

 

"I know you all want to go home and enjoy your remaining days off school, but I have one more thing to say. There are a lot of exchange students who haven't found a host yet, if you're interested fill out the form and bring it back this Friday." Park Jinyoung, the art teacher, told the students.

 

Chaeyoung was sure she wasn't going to host someone. Her house didn't have any extra rooms for guests and the idea of sharing her room wasn't appealing at all. 'What if we don't get along and we are stuck together for a whole year?'  Yeah, she would rather not. Taking a folder out of her mustard yellow backpack, she saved the form; just in case something changed her mind.

 

"Chaeyoung, are you deaf? I called you like three times." Dahyun, one of her best friends, whined. Because the teacher had already dismissed them, the pair started walking to Chaeyoung's place, where they had decided to spend the day together.

 

"I'm sorry. What's up?"

 

"I asked if you're planning on signing up. It would be so fun if we did this together and I think it won't take much to convince my mom," seeing the unconvinced look on her friend's face, Dahyun put on her puppy eyes, ready to persuade the younger. "Think about it, it's like a free trial of having a sister, if you don't like her you can just return her next year. It's perfect!"

 

Chaeyoung chuckled, "You know I don't have enough space at home, it's just not the right time."

 

Dahyun groaned, "You are sooo boring. You get the opportunity to have a, hopefully, pretty girl in your room for free, and you're throwing it away?!" She wasn't giving up and she was  sure the topic would stay in Chaeyoung's head for, at least, the rest of the day.

 

Chaeyoung had never questioned her uality. Although she considered herself straight because she had never been interested in a woman before, she was open to the idea of being with one if she found herself in the situation of liking one. But it had just never happened, or not yet.

 

"Please just let it go, I don't think it's gonna happen." She gave Dahyun one of her AirPods and played one of her favorite songs. After a while, they finally arrived at Chaeyoung's house, where they spent most of the time jokingly arguing; Dahyun begging and Chaeyoung just rolling her eyes as a reply.

 

---

 

It was a typical summer day, which started by having breakfast. Chaeyoung could smell the freshly made pancakes from her room, making her rush to the kitchen before her brother ate all of them.

 

"Mom, it ! Think about how cool it would be to have another guy living here, I could play basketball with him," Jeonghoon, her brother, was telling their mom all about how he couldn't host an exchange student because there weren't any guys available. Needless to say, Chaeyoung was ting her pants. She had been hoping she wouldn't have to tell her mom about it because she knew how disappointed the woman would be. The short girl and her had argued about this the year before, and she had promised she would host someone next year.

 

"Son Chaeyoung." She used her full name and it made her daughter even more nervous.

 

', I'm gonna kill that little I swear.'  She cursed him in all the languages she knew and put a fake grin on her face the second she walked in. "Hi mom, morning!" Maybe if she showed her big dimpled smile she would distract her enough to make her forget about the topic.

 

"Why didn't you tell me they gave out the forms for the exchange students?" The woman frowned, she didn't look mad, which was a huge relief for Chaeyoung. Her mom just thought that it would be a great opportunity for her daughter and that she might regret not signing up in the future. "I know we talked about this last year, but at least hear me out, okay?"

 

Chaeyoung knew it would be hard to win against her in an argument; mothers always find a way to win although most of the time it isn't fair game. "What could possibly change my mind?" Raising her eyebrows, she signaled for the woman to continue to get it over as fast as possible.

 

"I think you should do it. That girl could teach you a new language, she could even be your model if you needed someone to draw! Besides, you always said you'd rather have a sister than a brother." From the corner of her eye, Chaeyoung could see her little brother's dramatic crying act. "We can go buy a new bed for her this weekend."

 

Rolling her eyes, she kind of gave in. "Fine, I'll think about it. I promise" She didn't actually mean it, but that would keep her mother content for now.

 

Her mom hit her head lightly with the magazine she was reading, "And don't you ever roll your eyes at me again, I'm your mother for god's sake." They both chuckled.

 

Chaeyoung's distinct ringtone (a Bieber song) was heard, so she hurriedly ran to her room. After a minute she screamed from her room, "Nayeon is picking me up in 10, we'r

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter