Chapter 18: Tofu

One Bowl, Please!
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

(6am, Friday; outside the udon shop)

 

 

The front door of the shop slides open; letting in the morning breeze.

 

A few meters away, a fancy car was parked. And inside it was a stressed bear. She taps the steering wheel repeatedly. She contemplates whether she should walk in or not.

 

“Aaargh!!” She rests her head on the wheel. “Seulgi, you’re so stupid…” she reminds herself.

 

Joohyun’s face last night was still very fresh in her mind. So is the piercing scream from 4 girls as she was dragged out the shop.

 

Seulgi slaps her cheeks. She pulls herself together. She opens the door and steps out of her car. She fixed her clothing.

 

“It will be fine… it can’t get any worse.”

 

She marches toward the shop. She stood on the other side of the street, looking at the udon shop. Fear taking over again. She turns away. Hands gripping her shirt tightly.

 

“…c’mon Seulgi, you can do this.”

 

She turns around to head inside but saw an angry petite girl sweeping outside. The girl furiously sweeping leaves. Seulgi watched as the breeze blew the leaves all over the place, making the girl even more angry. The girl starts whacking the leaves suddenly.

 

Seulgi gulps. “…no. I can’t do this.”

 

“Pssst”

 

“KYAAAH!”

 

Seulgi fell to the ground.

 

“Who’s there?!?!” The girl with the broom yells.

 

Seulgi panics she starts crawling away. She was thankful there were cars parked on the street. 

 

“Pssst! Seulgi come here!”

 

Seulgi turns to look by the shrubs.

 

“W-who are you??”

 

“Just come here!”

 

Seulgi could hear the sweeping girl approaching, the girl whacked leaves as she stomped her way towards Seulgi.

 

“Get over here, QUICK!”

 

She dives over the bush.

 

“!!!!”

 

“Shhh…”

 

The sweeping girl was now on the other side of the bush.

 

“I swear… if that’s you…” the girl grips the broom like a sword.

 

Seulgi’s eyes are just bulging.

 

“…Kim, Taeyeon don’t you dare show your face!” The girl walks back into the shop slamming the door shut.

 

“Mushroom eonni!!!”

 

Taeyeon sighs. “You know my name, Seulgi.”

 

“Hehe what did you do eonni? Tiffany eonni seems really angry.”

 

“What are you laughing about… you sounded scared. You did something to Joohyun again, huh?”

 

Seulgi pouts.

 

“I CAN HEAR YOU KID!” Tiffany screams from the shop.

 

Taeyeon freaks. “Let’s get out of here!!!” She starts crawling away.

 

“Eh?”

 

“If Fany catches you, she’ll skewer you.”

 

“Eeep!” Seulgi was quick to get on all 4’s.

 

When the two were 3 streets away they stopped to take a break.

 

“I can’t believe you tried crawling away the whole time…” Taeyeon facepalms. “You’re definitely the first person to be eaten in horror films.”

 

“Ehehehe… I didn’t think she would actually chase us and throw shellfish.  Who knew clams could hurt?” Seulgi rubs her nape.

 

“I told you.”

 

Taeyeon leaned on a wall. Shoulders slumped.

 

Seulgi watched the mushroom eonni. She didn’t think she would ever see this person look this down.

 

“…I messed up.”

 

“Huh?” Seulgi frowns.

 

Taeyeon’s eyes cast down. She kicks the small rock on the pavement.

 

Seulgi silently walks to her. She slides down the wall then hugs her knees. “That makes two of us.”

 

The morning breeze felt good on the skin. But Taeyeon knew no matter how many times the wind blew it wouldn’t take her misery away with it.

 

“…I made her choose between me and her career.”

 

Seulgi looks up at her. “Why? Aren’t you guys engaged already?”

 

“Yeah but she wants to work in the city… leaving me again.”

 

“And you can’t move to the city because of your mushroom farm?”

 

Taeyeon nods.

 

“Oh…” Seulgi watched the ants march. She watched them fighting their way forward against the wind. Seulgi starts blowing at the ants trying to see if she could make them fly.

 

WHACK!

 

“OUCH! Why’d you hit me???”

 

“Do you have some sort of short attention span??”

 

Seulgi soothes the top of her head.

 

“I’m literally opening myself up to you.”

 

“Sorry Taeyeon eonni. The ants just looked so tiny and weak. Especially against the wind.”

 

Taeyeon sighs. “Let’s walk.”

 

Seulgi follows. They walk side by side. 

 

“So?”

 

“Hm?”

 

“What did you do this time?”

 

“Mm…”

 

“How mad is Joohyunnie?”

 

“Really mad. I’m banned from the shop.”

 

“Wow. She’s never banned anyone before.”

 

“What?!?”

 

“Yes, never. As long as a person is willing to pay for her food, she will always let them in.”

 

Seulgi facepalms. “UWAAAAHHHHHHH”

 

The wind was blowing at them as they walked. Their hair flying all over their face.

 

“Why was she mad? Did you say something stupid again? Hehe” she teased.

 

Seulgi bites her lips.

 

“What?”

 

“Er..”

 

“Tell me Seulgi.”

 

“PROMISE YOU WON’T TELL ANYONE!”

 

“Okaaaaay…” Taeyeon raised a brow.

 

“Um..  I um.. Love her…” Seulgi says shyly.

 

Taeyeon chuckles. “So you finally told her you love her?” 

 

“Huh? No!”

 

“Eh? I’m confused.”

 

“I didn’t tell her. But I ALMOST slipped… so she got really angry.”

 

“Huh??” Taeyeon scratched her head. “I don’t get it.”

 

“I guess she was able to tell what I was about to say… her face… that look she gave me.” Seulgi covers her face with her hands in frustration. 

 

“..Joohyun is mad because she found out about your feelings?” Taeyeon had to stop walking to try and process what Seulgi was saying. “Huh… I thought she already knew… I swear she knows.”

 

“What are you talking about eonni. NO ONE knows about my feelings for her!!!”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter