Chapter 11: Mushroom Part 3

One Bowl, Please!
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Hello?”

 

“I’m here… well, at least I think I am.”

 

“Walking to the door. Hold on.”

 

“No rush.”

 

“Hi Seulgi! Come in.”

 

“Hi Taeyeon eonni.” Seulgi bowed before entering.

“Woah… that’s a lot of mushroom!!”

 

“This is a mushroom farm.”

 

“This is amazing… you really are mushroom eonni.”

 

Taeyeon nods. “I grow different kinds but I mostly focus on shiitake mushrooms.” She points to her left.

 

“How come those mushrooms are outside?”

 

“They taste better when grown outside. It needs hardwood to grow on.”

 

“Cool.”

 

“Anyway, lets get to why you’re here. Come let’s sit over there, in the patio.”

 

They walk pass the mushrooms and stepped out to the patio. Taeyeon brought out the pot of coffee she had brewed earlier  and served it.

 

“First of all, I’m also upset with you.”

 

Seulgi’s head drops.

 

“Joohyun came home crying… eyes all swollen. She wouldn’t talk to any of us.”

 

Seulgi gulped.

 

“What did you do Seulgi?”

 

“I—…” she plays with her fingers, guilt engulfing her.

 

“I won’t help you unless you tell me.” Taeyeon sips her coffee and leaned back on her seat.

 

“I said awful things…”

 

“Like?”

 

“…I told her that I’m paying her to be with me. Not to be with that boy.”

 

Taeyeon’s eyes widen. “What do you mean you’re paying her?!?”

 

“Oh shi—…”

 

“Seulgi you better ing explain!”

 

For the next 15mins. Seulgi told Taeyeon about how she and Joohyun met. Plus the jelly service Joohyun was offering. That shes availing of the services to get her best friend jealous.

 

Taeyeon was dumbfounded learning about the jelly service. “So let me get this straight. You and Joohyun are not dating?”

 

Seulgi shook her head.

 

“Like nothing at all?”

 

“I’m her friend/client.”

 

“. I was not expecting this.” She scratched her head. “Okay…. Then? Can you tell me exactly what happened.”

 

Seulgi told her honestly. Even the exact words she had told Joohyun.

 

Taeyeon inhales deeply. “Seulgi— you little …”

 

“I’m sorry!! I really am sorry!!”

 

“She wasn’t lying you know.. Fany did text her to come home. She doesn’t know the recipe to the udon broth so she messed it up.”

 

“Oh…” the guilt inside Seulgi was growing even more.

 

“And you said Wendy and her date weren’t there.”

 

“…?”

 

“So Joohyun didn’t have to act like your girlfriend.”

 

“…”

 

“I don’t get why you would be mad… unless you were jealous…” Taeyeon scrutinized Seulgi’s expression.

 

“W-why would I be jealous???”

 

“I don’t know, Seulgi. You tell me.” But Taeyeon can read Seulgi well. She watched the girl go through the possibilities in her head. She knew that clueless face all too well.

 

They stay quiet while Seulgi continued racking her brain when the door slammed open. Both girls jumped in their seats.

 

“KIM TAEYEON! WHOSE CAR IS THAT?!” Tiffany marched inside, nose fuming. “I KNOW ALL OF OUR FRIENDS’ CARS!”

 

Seulgi yelped and hid under the table.

 

“Ehehe Hi sweetheart…!” She stands and grins.

 

“Don’t ”hi sweetheart” me!!! Who’s here?!?”

 

“Ya ya come hug me first…”

 

Tiffany hugs her but continues scanning the area.

 

“IF I find someone—…”

 

“Seulgi is here.” Taeyeon says while grabbing a chair for her fiancée.

 

Seulgi waves her hand from underneath the table.

 

“Really? Of all people her?” Tiffany rolls her eyes.

 

“What? You prefer to find me with some guy?”

 

Tiffany glared at her. 

 

“Seulgi get up from there!”

 

“Yes sir!”

 

“Sir?!”

 

Seulgi gulps.

 

“Okay, that’s enough. Everyone sit down.”

 

For the next 5mins. they stay quiet. Seulgi was looking down but she could feel the burning glare of Tiffany. Taeyeon got up to pour coffee for her fiancee at the same time send a quick text to Seulgi.

 

She texted Seulgi not to mention the jelly service at all. The girl nods in understanding.

 

Seulgi takes a deep breath.

 

“Please let me talk to Joohyun.”

 

Tiffany shakes her head.

 

“Fany… let them work it out by themselves.”

 

“It’s not my decision..”

 

Seulgi quickly looks at Tiffany.

 

“Joohyun said she doesn’t want to see or talk to Seulgi. She was very explicit about it.”

 

Another round of silence filled the mushroom farm. This time it lasted longer. The couple watched Seulgi. The girl was clearly incapable of hiding her thoughts and emotions. Guilt, pain and regret etched on her pretty face.

 

Taeyeon elbowed Tiffany to say something. But the latter looked at her mouthed “what am I suppose to say?”

 

“Aigoo! Seulgi…”

 

Seulgi looked at Tiffany.

 

“Tell me first why you made my sister cry.”

 

Seulgi glanced at Taeyeon, she knows she can’t mention the jelly service which is vital to the story, in her opinion. But she knew if she told Tiffany, she will never have a chance to talk to Joohyun.

 

“I um… was upset…” she says nervously.

 

Tiffany rolls her eyes.

 

“Look I get it if you two fought. People who are dating will have misunderstandings. But at the same time that’s not a good enough reason at all to hurt Joohyun.”

 

Taeyeon bit her lower lip trying not to laugh. She glanced at Seulgi who looked like she didn’t understand what Tiffany was saying. To be fair Tiffany really didn’t know what she was saying either.

 

“Um I know… I said painful things without even thinking. I let my emotions get the best of me. It was cruel of me to say those words.”

 

Tiffany sighs. “I can see you’re regretting your actions but Joohyun doesn’t want to talk to you.”

 

Seulgi’s head drops, tears forming in the corner of her eyes. Her hands gripping her knees tightly.

 

The couple watch Seulgi. They stay quiet not knowing what to say anymore. 

 

“Seulgi, maybe it’s best you go home now. It’s pretty late…” Taeyeon says softly.

 

Seulgi inhales deep and straightened her back. “Tiffany eonni, I know she doesn’t want to see me. And maybe she won’t forgive me… and I understand if she doesn’t want to but please let me make it up to her…”

 

“She doesn’t want to see you, how can you even make it up to her??”

 

Seulgi explained to the couple her idea. She was very determined to make things right with Joohyun or at least make her feel better. Tiffany smiled hearing this.

 

“Please Tiffany eonni…”

 

“Hmmm… you have to promise she won’t know!”

 

“I promise!”

 

“I mean it Seulgi! My neck will be on the line too!”

 

Seulgi nods.

 

“But Seulgi are you sure you can do this?” Taeyeon asked with concern.

 

“Mhm.”

 

“This is your idea, okay? So whatever the outcome is you can’t blame us. Understand?”

 

“Yes eonni.”

 

“Okay Seulgi.”

 

Seulgi got up and bowed to them. She waved goodbye and left the couple.

 

“What happened to “I don’t like her for my sister”, huh?” Taeyeon mocked.

 

“Hmph! You were helping the enemy behind my back.”

 

“I can’t help it… she reminds me of you so much…” she pinched Tiffany’s nose.

 

The girl sighs. “Did she realize her feelings yet?”

 

“Nope. How ‘bout Hyunnie?”

 

“It’s like it was never there.”

 

They both sigh.

 

“Let’s go to bed Fany.”

 

“You’re sleeping on the couch for meeting Seulgi secretly and teasing me!”

 

“… Fine. You sleep by yourself.” Taeyeon started walking away.

 

“EH?! I was kidding, Honey!!” Tiffany chased her fiancee.

 

 

(Sunday, Noodle Shop, 10pm)

 

 

It’s been a week since the 3 girls talked.

 

“Fany eonni, thanks for doing the closing shift.”

 

“Mhm. Were you able to study well?”

 

“Yes. I’m getting enough sleep as well.”

 

“That’s good Joohyun. You better have perfect scores for your midterms then!”

 

“Hehe we’ll see.”

 

 

(Wednesday, Noodle Shop, 12am)

 

 

“Joohyun-ah! You’re not sleeping yet??”

 

“I just finished studying for my exam tomorrow.”

 

“How was your previous exams?”

 

“It went well. Actually, I think I may have aced it.” She smiled brightly.

 

“Haha if all your grades are high. I’ll buy you a new stockpot.”

 

“Better buy it now eonni! 😛”

 

Tiffany went downstairs to the noodle shop.

 

“Hey.. Don’t be so loud.”

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter