Ch 4

A Calling
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Siwon and Kyuhyun bolted out of Kyuhyun's apartment after stuffing themselves with breakfast and stacking their bags with things necessary for a plausible trek. They speeded out to the highway, making a quick stop at the convenience store as they armed themselves with some lunch, protein bars, energy drinks and the most essential, a map, just in case their mobiles died. As Siwon drove, minding their speed limit, he glanced at Kyuhyun, whose face was full of concern as he kept bouncing his leg, a habit when the younger gets restless.

"We are almost there, relax", Siwon interrupted Kyuhyun's silent musings as he swerved along the mid traffic highway, thanks to the office hours.

"Can you just hurry", Kyuhyun instead replied. "His car has already stopped moving", he announced as he showed the pinging dot on the mobile screen to Siwon. "There's no way we'd be able to find hyung if he goes deeper in the forest".

"Nothing's gonna come out with us being rash", Siwon replied, his tone strangely calm. "Take deep breaths before you go into a cardiac arrest or something", his words teasing.

"Are you trying to be funny", Kyuhyun frowned. Both quietened down trying to avoid from speaking anything that might break their already fragile mindset, as Siwon stepped on the peddle.

"It's not even noon, we have enough time to find Donghae", Siwon reasoned as he drove in silence for the rest of the journey.

It had been forty minutes since Donghae's car had stopped moving. Siwon parked his car right next to Donghae's. Kyuhyun stepped out of the car, wore the bag on his shoulders as he clipped the buckles tight, checking the flashlights were still functional, his hands fussing at his jacket collar.

"The temperature's low", Siwon noted as he slung the backpack and locked the car, the sun shining brightly right above their heads.

"Yeah", Kyuhyun hummed, "I wonder if hyung has his jacket, should have brought a spare one".

Both briskly walked into the forest, following the trail that showed signs of being frequented, their steps showing their urgency. Both continued to follow the trail for twenty minutes, before they were met with a fork in the road. "Should we split up", Kyuhyun suggested, "We'll be able to cover more ground."

"No, splitting up could be a disadvantage", Siwon said. "It's better to stay together. Donghae said he wanted to take photos of vampire deer", Siwon continued, "He must have turned right, since that breed of deer likes to stay hidden, using the camouflage of the dense trees."

Both took the trail on the right, as the air in the forest thinned, indicating the denseness of the forest. The sun was glaring overhead, but the tall trees casted their shadows, blocking much of the light. It was not long till the trail ended and both paused to catch their breath and gain some much needed rest.

"Now what", Kyuhyun asked as he leaned against a tree, taking a sip of water. The silence of the forest accentuated by their breathing sounds.

"Now we follow our instinct and see for signs of someone using the path." Siwon said as he flicked his pocket knife open, ready to cut any stray twigs that would block their path.

"You see how the shrubs are also dense but not quiet tall," he explained as he led the duo, "It's because they don't get enough sunlight."

"So they grow away from the tree where they could get sunlight", Kyuhyun guessed.

"Yes. That's why shrubs are small near the tree and a bit taller as they get farther from it. So you need to make way for yourself", Siwon continued, as he swung his blade and slashed at the shrubs.

"Donghae hyung could have done it too", Kyuhyun said.

"Yes. We have to keep an eye for those signs", Siwon waved his hand as he cut the leaves, "This is how they'd look".

After what felt like a never ending hike, Kyuhyun wondered aloud if they were walking in circles, when they heard faint rustling and grunting sounds. "Did you hear that?" Kyuhyun asked as he halted Siwon.

Both hushed down straining their ears as they tried to make sure from where the sound was coming. Both strayed away from each other, trying to follow the source of the sound, when suddenly Siwon yanked Kyuhyun by his backpack.

"This way", he quickly guided Kyuhyun as both hurried their way out of the dense shrubbery and tall trees. Their flurry of movement came to an abrupt halt as they were greeted with a sight of a hunched person desperately digging the soil at the base of an old huge tree, its decaying form intoxicating the air.

"Ugh", Siwon grimaced as his hand pinched his nose, trying to curb the awful smell. Kyuhyun hesitantly walked towards the hunched being, as he took in the surroundings. The tree stood alone devoid of any life next to it. It had mangled bare branches and decayed trunk that could cave in at any moment. As his eyes surveyed the area, he noticed that the surrounding trees had red mark

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter