Ch 20

A Calling
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Kyuhyun packed his duffel bag with all the things necessary for camping. He checked through his satchel to see if he missed anything. 

He picked up his mobile, sending a checklist to Siwon with a message that read, "Make sure you have these things ready."

Literally a beat later Siwon called Kyuhyun, "Kyu, come down." Kyuhyun was surprised, "You arrived already? Did you even prepare for the camping?" He said as he set his cup aside from which he was sipping coffee.

"Yes Sir." Siwon answered like a cadet. "Leeteuk had sent me tips yesterday and I arranged things accordingly." Kyuhyun hummed in response. 'They really want to enjoy our time together' he thought.

He slung his satchel across his shoulder and picked up the duffel bag, making sure all the appliances were turned off before leaving. This was their first camping together, first time since Donghae's disappearance. He locked his door and sighed when his eyes fell on the neighbouring door, showing tell-tale signs of being vacant.

Kyuhyun knew his friends, especially Siwon, let him have his space. But leaving him alone must have been stressful for them. So when Siwon cheerfully suggested to do camping, an activity Kyuhyun is fond of, he couldn't reject.

The drive to the camping site was long and quite, except the radio playing calming songs. Leeteuk sat in the back seat, and observed the younger in the front passenger seat. He saw that Kyuhyun had a calm smile on his face, his eyes taking in the beauty of the passing by scenery.

Once they reached the camping site, Siwon and Leeteuk started setting up the tent that they'd use to stay in at night. It was an overnight camping plan and Kyuhyun rummaged through the car's trunk. He slammed the trunk shut and asked a bit annoyed, "Siwon, where is the flame torch I asked you to bring?" Siwon looked up with wide eyes, "You told me to bring it?" pointing at himself.

Kyuhyun who was calm throughout the time slowly started turning red in anger. Leeteuk immediately sensed the change in his mood and stepped forward, "I have a lighter, that'll do." He said with a pleasant smile.

Kyuhyun's anger inflated at Leeteuk's timely suggestion. He stared at the work done by Siwon and Leeteuk. "I'll go get some dry firewood for the bonfire." He realised that his mood was fluctuating and that he needed time alone to calm himself down.

Siwon worriedly looked at Kyuhyun's retreating back, "Don't go far", he shouted.

"He'll be fine", Leeteuk said from beside. "He knows what he is doing. This is his favourite activity."

Kyuhyun wandered around for a while even though he had gathered the required wood. He stuffed the branches under his arm and pulled out his wallet, flipping it open. He ran his thumb across the amulet, staring at its rusted engravings. As he was staring at the amulet he stumbled upon a stone and fell on the ground. The gathered wood scattered ahead and his wallet flew off his hands and landed a couple feet away from him. Kyuhyun was annoyed, "I guess everything wants to ruin my mood today."

He stood up and dusted off his clothes, piling the sticks together. He picked up his wallet and stopped in his tracks when he noticed that the amulet was missing. Kyuhyun's senses instantly numbed at the sight of the missing amulet, but he could clearly hear his heart thud against his chest . In a panic, Kyuhyun dropped the sticks he had gathered and crawled on his knees searching for the amulet. "No, no, no. Where did it go?"

He searched for the amulet on the ground, swiping his hands against the dried grass to find the amulet. He stood up, fingers tugging his hair in distress, almost about to shout in anger. He turned in circles, eyes accusingly staring at the bright sky, as if complaining to the heavens above, 'why him?'.

Kyuhyun was so worked up in his anger that he turned in the wrong direction and walked off in long strides. "Should have rejected like usual." He spoke aloud, fingers turning red at the strong grip on the firewood. He stopped walking when he realized that he had lost his way. He found the green grassland infront of him, with trees on the opposite side instead of the clear camping site.

Kyuhyun gritted his teeth as he fished out his mobile phone. He tried calling Siwon and after couple of failed attempts got through. "Hey, I lost my way, so it'll take me a while to come back. Don't get worried." He could hear Siwon start his tirade, but he immediately ended the call.

Kyuhyun sighed again but instead of being sad or angry, he took a deep breath and let the fresh air clear his mind. He admired the greenery in front of him for a while, the scene making him calm down after his fit of anger.

He was about to turn around and leave when he noticed a man walk across the grassland. Kyuhyun's eyes widened at the sight of the person. 'It can't be? Is it him?' He wondered. The person who looked so similar, so alike his hyung walked across his line of vision and was about to disappear behind the thick canopy of trees.

Kyuhyun dropped the stacks off his hands and waved them up in the air desperately. He can't lose this chance.

"Hey! Help me! Help me!" Kyuhyun shouted with all his might, his vocal chords aching in pain. The person who was about to disappear in the woods behind the grasslands halted at his cry for help.

The person walked towards Kyuhyun and Kyuhyun too walked towards the grassland with determined footsteps. With each step forward, Kyuhyun's eyes brightened with joy as the face of the person got clearer. 'Its him. Definitely him.'

Kyuhyun met the person in the middle of the grasslands, the ankle length grass swaying along with the blowing air, with a wide smile on his face. The person who came to help him, looked a bit wary, "Are you lost?" The person asked hesitantly. Kyuhyun nodded his head, his smile growing big.

The person looked at Kyuhyun, noticed the firewood in his hands and said, "You must have came here for camping? Many times people get lost if they don't pay attention to the sign boards attached."

"Yeah, I must have missed them," Kyuhyun said not looking even a bit sorry. "I actually lost something and in it's search I got lost." Kyuhyun's smile faltered after he realized something, 'Does he not know me? Is he not my Donghae hyung?'

Both walked in silence back to the place Kyuhyun had lost the amulet. Kyuhyun had a lot of things to say, that he missed him or why didn't he came back to them. But all the words got stuck in his throat at the thought of the person not being his hyung. Kyuhyun still had a frown when he thought of how ridiculously he lost the amulet.

"Here, I dropped it here." Kyuhyun showed the person the spot. The man looked around and bent down, picking something up. "Is this what you were searching?" Kyuhyun stared at the person with a familiar face holding the amulet. The resemblance was so uncanny that the sight was exactly similar to the haunted days of the past year, Donghae holding the amulet.

"Thanks", Kyuhyun stuttered as he took the amulet back, stuffing the cold piece of metal in his pocket. The man gave Kyuhyun directions back to the camping site and turned away, eager

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter