Ch 18 past and present

A Calling
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jungsoo carried their belongings to the vessel they were about to board. Donghae followed Jungsoo with his head bowed, avoiding eye contact with the people staring at him. The people around them started whispering and talking among themselves when they saw Donghae. It was well known in the village that Donghae was the best friend of Royal advisor's son Yunho, who was missing.

Jungsoo helped Donghae onto the vessel, "Don't pay any attention to them". Donghae didn't reply just walked and sat in a corner.

 

___

After that night and Yunho's disappearance, his father had sent his guards to look for his son. In their search for Yunho, Donghae was called to meet them. Suffering injuries at the hand of Yunho and ailing from the effects of loosing the amulet, Donghae was too weak to even leave the house. If Jungsoo had his way, he would have fled with Donghae right away.

The guards were sent to Donghae's house and ordered to bring him to meet the Royal Advisor. Jungsoo, who had stayed with Donghae day and night, argued with them to no avail. At last the guards had their way and they dragged a severely weak Donghae out of the house.

"Wait, please wait", Jungsoo pleaded the guards. "Atleast let me carry him. He is in no condition to walk."

The guards took pity and relented. Jungsoo carried Donghae in his arms all the way to Yunho's residence.

There Yunho's father, sat on his chair, seething in anger. "You insolents! How dare you lead my son astray?" He accused them as soon as they were ushered in front of him. "First you befriend my son and then take him away from his family. Where is he?"

Donghae and Jungsoo were kneeling in front of him. Donghae kept his head bowed as silent tears dripped down his face. "We don't know Master", Jungsoo replied. "Yunho hadn't met Donghae since last week", he lied.

"Liar", Yunho's father barked. "I know this little thing is his favourite. There is no way he didn't meet him."

Jungsoo rubbed his palms furiously to apologize. "We really don't know anything about Yunho. In fact my brother has been sick since the day Yunho disappeared." Jungsoo bowed his head down and then sat upright again. "Donghae has been bed ridden since then. How could we harm your son."

Yunho's father looked at the guards standing behind. "It is true Sir. This man couldn't even walk when we went." Yunho's father was still reluctant and kept questioning them, but only Jungsoo answered while Donghae stayed quiet the whole time. After realising they couldn't really gain anything in harming Yunho he let them go.

 

___

The vessel they were about to board was to transport goods but Jungsoo had used his connections to ensure that they also get passage. The owner was Jungsoo's merchant friend and he waved them goodbye.

There were only few crewmen on the vessel and they didn't talk with either Jungsoo or Donghae, much to their relief. Their travel was supposed to be only a day long. Donghae sat by the rail of the vessel, staring at the waves that collided with the hull, thinking about the friendship he lost, wondering if everything they had was all a lie.

Jungsoo sat beside him, "It's over. Don't think about it." Donghae closed his eyes and rested his head on Jungsoo's shoulder.

Their quiet moment was interrupted by the captain's argument behind them. The captain said aloud that the weather will turn worse and so be prepared and take proper shelter in the cabins.

The clear sky was rapidly covered by dark clouds and violent winds shook the vessel. The atmosphere suddenly changed putting the crew in panic. The waves grew bigger and the vessel shook with every wave that hit. Jungsoo held onto Donghae's shoulder and rushed to get in the cabin. The crewmen had already huddled inside and there was no more space for them.

The hull of the vessel was broken by a strong wave and water rushed inside. "Hyung", Donghae pulled Jungsoo who was thrown off balance. The vessel heaved up and down violently with the tuebulent waves and wind. Amidst the chaos, Donghae felt a chill run down his spine.

Before he could register what was happening, their vessel capsized and they were drowning in the sea. The broken wooden boards of the vessel floated on the angry waves. Donghae heaved himself alongwith Jungsoo on one of the planks. Jungsoo had a death grip on Donghae's hand, eyes frantically looking for something safer.

The capsized vessels beam crashed onto their plank, forcing them apart. The impact made both drown underwater, the sounds of chaos also drowning down.

Donghae struggled to swim upwards but each time he tried, more debris blocked his way. He saw Jungsoo swimming towards him, so he stretched his hand hoping to hold on. Their fingers nearly touched each other, when Jungsoo was pulled up by other person.

Donghae wanted to swim up too, but his weakened body couldn't move as it used to do before, before the betrayal, before he lost the amulet. He swung his arms desperately but choked on the water that entered his lungs. He sank deeper and deeper, watching the blue water turning darker.

His heart ached at the thought of losing his brother too. 'He is safe', he thought as tears escaped his eyes getting mixed in the water.

An extreme current rushed towards him, dragging him alongwith it. Donghae had lost all his energy and let his body drift away with the currents. Suddenly water splashed and he opened his eyes to find a body plunging down. He saw his face which was similar to his brother. He immediately swam towards him, surprised by the energy that he had seemed to have lost. Both stared at each other as they were swept by a whirlpool.

As Donghae pulled his brother alongwith him, he was confused by his younger looking face, short hair and the strange clothes on him. His brother flailed his arms in panic, trying to swim by himself. 

Donghae swam with all his might and pulled his brother up. 'This is it', he thought as his limbs gave up. With his last bit of strength he pushed his brother up and then his body stopped moving. He saw his brother in strange clothes being pulled up by someone, feeling a sense of deja vu.

Did he dream his brother's rescue before. His muscles were sore from the exertion, his lungs were battered by the water, his eyes hurt and he knew he could not hold on any longer. He closed his eyes and his body succumbed to the depths of the sea.

All the voices had died down as Donghae's body sank deeper. He recalled his first encounter with Yunho, which happened to be rescuing him from drowning. Fate has a cruel sense of humor. Memories ran through his head and regret filled up his heart. Suddenly he heard wails of strange people, asking to be forgiven, pleading for mercy. It was the voices of people Yunho had sacrificed for his selfish goals. Their loud shrills sent a piercing pain through his brain. Donghae felt his body getting heavier and heavier and slowly his thoughts ceased and so did his breath.

 

___

Donghae came to his senses, his eyes wide open, gaze slowly gaining focus. Everything looked more brighter, more clearer. Every

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter