Ch 13

A Calling
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The dust had settled. The air that was whirling in circles had ceased and the forest had returned to its quite state, devoid of even the sound of rustling leaves. The stems that had slithered back with Donghae, now lay on the ground next to the old tree, already starting to decay.

Kyuhyun scrambled to his feet when he noticed Donghae was missing. "Hyung! Donghae hyung!" He called aloud as he ran towards the old tree, its ruins now looking more mangled with the decaying stems and branches sprawled on the ground.

Leeteuk helped Siwon to his feet, feeling uneasy at the sight of the place which was reeking of burnt ash and blood without an apparent source of it. Kyuhyun stopped at the dug out and called Donghae's name again to no avail. 

Siwon pulled Kyuhyun back away from the tree, "Stop it Kyuhyun. He is gone."

 

 

 

Donghae stirred awake when he felt the restraints around him slithering back, eyes flickering open to a night sky ablaze with orange. He didn't know long was he passed out. He sat up groggily amidst the heat of a scorching fire that didn’t exist, feeling his energy being sapped by the heat. The clothes stuck to his body, as if soaked in sweat. The gravely ground beneath feeling wet and sticky as well. The air swirling around seemed heavy, carrying with it a metallic smell of blood. Glancing around in the dimly lit night, neither Kyuhyun or Siwon nor Leeteuk were in sight.

Is this hell? He wondered, as he felt a heavy weight on his very soul, making it hard to move and even breathe. He stood up with a sigh, pulling his aching body upright and turned around.

“Time to complete the seal”, Yunho stood in front of him, his palm extended out and the other half of the amulet in it. Startled by his sudden appearance Donghae stepped back unconsciously, “Where are my friends?”

Yunho chuckled, “You should instead ask where you are?” He flipped the half amulet in his hand, “Take this and you’ll find out yourself”.

Donghae clenched his fist that had the other part he had dugout a while ago. He hesitatingly reached out to take the offered part, startled to see his own arm drenched in blood. His eyes widened in disbelief when he touched Yunho’s hand, “What are you?” He took the piece of the amulet clearly confused, “How can I touch you?”

“Because we are not in the land of humans”, Yunho stated with a smirk.

Donghae was in a daze, the hot wind bellowed and hit his body, “W-What?”

“This is the spirit realm. The realm that exists between life and death.” He took a step towards Donghae, eyes turning menacingly red and the smug smile turning into a frown. “Your betrayal doomed me to this place”, he growled in a low voice. Donghae backed away, halting immediately when violent air swirled around him, effectively trapping him.

“Why can’t you complete this seal?” Donghae snapped out of the daze. Fierce eyes looking back at Yunho, “I found this and my work is done here.”

Icy fingers, in contrast to the hot atmosphere grabbed Donghae by his collar, lifting him up off his feet, “Everything is related to you. It began because of you. You are the essence – “

Donghae punched Yunho in the face, making him stagger back as Donghae dropped down on his knees. "Ugh", he grimaced in pain, opening both his fists when he felt warmth spreading in his arms, only to see the two pieces of amulet in his palm glowing white. Yunho looked down at the glowing amulet, eyes shining with hope.

Donghae was shocked by the light, his thoughts ceased and his mind turned numb. He felt the warmth spreading in his body, from his arms to his chest, the mark on his chest hurting like hell. As if enthralled, Donghae brought the two pieces together, which pulled each other like pieces of magnet and the glow subsided, revealing one amulet with markings similar to ones that were not quiet etched on his chest.

Memories from a time that he didn’t know flooded his mind.

He saw Yunho staring at him, as he lay beside him. Both drenched wet, breathing heavily. Water dripped from his hair across his nose, his younger voice asking, “Are you alright?” Yunho in response, thanked him for saving his life. That was the first time they met each other.

He saw himself happily walking around with Yunho, the taller guy walking next to him with his hands clasped behind him, his servants folllwing in tow. Yunho, the son of a regent and Donghae the sworn brother of Park Jungsoo, a well known merchant, who looked like Leeteuk. Both stared at by villagers as if their being friends was a crime.

He saw Yunho rescuing him from the royal guards. Running away with his hand held, the guards chasing them fading in the background. Donghae said with tears in eyes, “I owe you my life for this”. Yunho embracing him to calm him down.

He saw an apprehensive Yunho, sneaking out with him in the middle of the night and revealing a secret. “I can manipulate air”. The revelation was too sudden and too absurd to believe, but a demonstration by Yunho quickly cleared Donghae’s doubts. “That is amazing”, Donghae exclaimed. “I’m trusting you with it”, Yunho said.

He saw Yunho venting his anger of the upper class that frequented his father and how the so called elite lacked the basic decency of treating others with due respect and behaving with integrity.

He remembered suggesting Yunho, to use his skill, “You can be a vigilante”. He said as his hands reached up to cov

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter