Ch 3

A Calling
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Hae, Hae. Wake up buddy". Donghae heard a familiar voice calling out to him. He opened his eyes gingerly and saw the person sitting in front of him.

"Siwon", his voice came out more like a whisper, "how did you get here?" He clumsily tossed in the bed, attempting to get up, instead tangled himself in his covers. "Ugh" he groaned weakly, as he fought with his blanket timidly, freeing himself ultimately but out of the last bits of energy too.

Siwon watched his friend's antics in amusement, a fond smile on his face replacing the worried look that was plastered on before. He cleared his throat as he replied, "I was waiting for you and since you didn't show up, I went back to work without calling you." His eyes met Donghae's auburn ones, confusion etched in it. "Kyuhyun called me just as I was getting off work and asked me if I could come over." Donghae's brows knitted in anger, "He let you in", he answered the question he had asked earlier.

"Yes", Siwon replied, "And when we entered we saw you passed out on the floor. You have a fever Donghae. And what's with all these bruises, did you get in a fight with someone?" he asked as he pulled Donghae's t-shirt slightly, exposing the skin marred with bruises.

Donghae pushed his hand away, straightening the t-shirt. He remained quiet, as his thoughts fought for logic in the unexplainable things happening to him.

"Talk to me Donghae", Siwon asked in a gentle voice. "Did Kyuhyun do this to you?"

Hearing the accusation, Donghae's head shot up, "What? How did yo -"

"Kyuhyun told me everything, how you came late last night and then accused him when he saw you today in the morning" Siwon explained calmly, "He is worried, you know. He is afraid if he did something to upset you. But then we see these.." he trailed off as he looked back at the bruises on his throat and wrist. "What happened?"

"I don't know myself?" Donghae spoke, almost a whisper. "I don't know", he looked at Siwon, eyes filled with pain and fear. Siwon tenderly tugged him into a hug and the smaller guy accepted it without a fight. "I'm scared Siwon" Donghae broke down, tears falling unbidden.

As Donghae calmed down, Siwon tapped his phone and sent a text to Kyuhyun. "Should I call Kyu over", He asked hesitantly. Not trusting his voice, Donghae nodded and wiped his face. He felt a pressing in his chest, but ignored it, chalking it up to his emotional distress as they both waited for the younger to come in.

 

The three guys sat in the kitchen, Donghae's chair in between his only friends' chairs. He was asked to wear a hoodie by Kyuhyun as soon as the youngest entered the apartment. Looking cozy but feeling anything but it, Donghae buried himself in the oversized hoodie, the gazes of his friends unsettling him further. "Guys..." he said just that one word, but both understood and quickly averted their eyes, each clearing their throat. 

"Uhm, y-you said I-I hurt you", Kyuhyun stuttered getting to the point right away. "But you were already injured when I saw you".

"I don't know who that was, or what.." Donghae replied, "But it looked exactly like you... except that it behaved totally unlike you." Donghae stopped, as he looked at both checking their expressions. "You think I'm crazy", he asked as he kept on turning to gauge their reaction. 

"Start from the beginning", Siwon replied quietly, no trace of judgement in his voice, "What were you doing out there anyway?"

Donghae quietened down to collect his composure as he narrated how he faced a strange faceless being in the general store, how later a Kyuhyun doppleganger had almost chocked him before vanishing in the blink of an eye and after his argument with the real - Kyuhyun, when he returned to his apartment, the faceless being knocked him out unconscious. "It keeps repeating 'Give up', and I don't know what it means", he finished suddenly feeling anxious of judgement and ridicule. "You don't believe me", Donghae spoke as he rose from his chair, restless, "I wouldn't believe myself either."

"But those bruises", Kyuhyun cut him off, "What would explain those bruises, if we don't believe you" he replied, his voice full of concern.

"It's just the effects of exhaustion and fever, guys", Siwon spoke as he guided Donghae to lay back on his bed. "You need rest and lots of care", he said as he pulled the covers over his leg. "You spent the entire day at the sanctuary, beyond your regular capacity." He explained as he walked back to get some water and medicine. "You must have hit yourself somewhere for those bruises to form", his voice wavering as he tried to rationalize the wounds.

"He got hit by something that looks like fingers and nails", Kyuhyun butted in sarcastically. "It could be a stalker", Siwon continued, "let's keep an eye out for each other".

Kyuhyun huffed in irrita

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter