The Bet

One Shot
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“What is this?”

 

A soft yet so stern and firm voice echoed in the obnoxious meeting room. All five people inside the meeting flinched at the venomous voice, though no matter how many times they heard her soft-yet-so-stern-and-firm voice it would always, almost pissed in their pants. 

 

She scoffed, with a sly smirk adorned her face. “Is this a joke? You called this presentation?” She gripped tightly to the folder she’s holding before hastily threw it on the table, making them flinch once again. 

 

She stood up facing them, chest raising up and down rather fastly. All six of them cannot make eye contact, afraid to meet the furious one.  “The presentation is five days from now, you know how important that day is, right? All of our big investors and board members will be present this Saturday.” 

 

She exhaled loudly, letting them know how frustrated she was at the moment. “We cannot let them down because they invested millions for this specific project I assigned you last month. The preparation is long enough to be prepared, yet you gave me a what? A trash presentation? Even high school students could make that!” Slamming her palm on the wooden table, making a loud thud that surely could be heard outside. 

 

“Is this a million worth project for you?” She slowly grabbed her things, eyes never leaving them. “Well if it is, I’m expecting you to hand me your resignation today.” Every click of her stilettos is enough to make them ask for the floor to open and eat them alive. 

 

She stops, two steps away from each one of them. They could only lower their heads when they felt her gaze dig a hole into their souls. “If you want to stay, fix it and present me what’s a  million worth project by tomorrow. Do you understand?” 

 

They nodded their heads for their dear life. 

 

“Good. Meeting adjourned.” She walked past them. When they thought they could finally breathe, well they’re wrong especially….

 

The click of her stilettos stopped, hand midway turning the doorknob. “Ah, Team Leader Son…” Team Leader Son Chayoung closed her eyes and bit her lips in anticipation. “Meet me in my office at 6PM sharp.”

 

“Y-yes, Ms. Myoui.”

 

Finally, she let out a breath she didn’t know holding since she went ballistic after their crappy presentation. 

 

The six of them slump on their chairs, whining for the upteempth time, some are still shivering in what happened to the obnoxious meeting room with the ‘Raging Penguin’- she grew a funny yet could make you doubt applying in this company when, obviously, she’s always raging whenever things couldn’t go to her way. Penguin, you say? Funny how she looks scary but once she turned her back and walked out, she waddled like a wild penguin in the north pole. 

 

“I’m sorry.” Chaeyoung swivels her chair to face them- they all look so exhausted and now she feels more guilty for not being a good Team Leader. “We still have 6 hours to revise our presentation for tomorrow.” She bit her lips when they nodded defeatedly. 

 

But she soon smiles to motivate them, because her position is also the same, no, double of what they feel. The burden of being a Team Leader is still a big thing for her. The responsibilities it brings for her is far from what they thought.

 

Higher salary? Sure, but the thing is you have to take all the responsibilities, mistakes, all the burden on your shoulders. Your team’s fault, you’ll take it wholeheartedly. 

 

“If we manage to pass the presentation tomorrow, I promise to pay for our dinner.” It motivated them, the way their eyes twinkle in delight and happiness were enough for Chaeyoung to get motivated as well. 

 

“We can do this! Aja aja!” She chanted their mantra. 

 

“Aja aja!” 

 

She smiled, that is all she needed to get through this nightmare. She turned around, now facing her desk and still had a smile on her face when her eyes landed on the room behind the big glass wall in front of her desk- Ms. Myoui’s office. 

 

The blinds were down, unable to see their director. But she knows she's most probably drowning with all paperworks and dealing with everything alone; the team’s failed presentation added to her stress. 

 

She could only sympathize with her. 

 

Bone cracking was the first thing she heard when they finished the million-worth-project to be presented tomorrow. She can’t help but to stretch her limbs, sitting for too long could be tiring as hell. 

 

“Team Leader,” Chaeyoung hummed to whoever called her before stifling a yawn. “It’s already 6:23..” The tone of her voice made her open her eyes in horror. 

 

“Shouldn’t you be in the Director's office now..?” There was a hesitation, but she knows it too well she will be doomed for good. She wanted to scold them for not reminding her of the meeting with Ms. Myoui but she still couldn’t. 

 

God, “I’m doomed.” She hastily stood up, running for her life to the Director's office. 

 

She stops, forcing her eyes closed. Inhale, exhale….inhale, exhale...you can do this, Chaeyoung! Aja aja!

 

When she opened her eyes, she twisted the door open, heart beating fast because of nervousness. One thing their director’s hate is being tardy. Yep, she’s doomed.

 

“You’re late.” She said matter-of-factly.

 

Chaeyoung bowed, “I’m really sorry.” 




 

---



 

“Job well done, everyone.” 

 

The director praised, standing up to congratulate them one by one. Team Leader Chaeyoung smiles at the interaction between the director who rarely said good things, plus her team’s reactions are priceless.

 

“Team Leader Son,” Director Myoui turned to face her before pulling something like a black rectangle- was it a card she saw? “Treat your team a good meal.” Chaeyoung accepted the black card before bowing with a wide smile plastered on her face. 

 

“I will! Thank you, Director!” They all bowed in gratitude. 

 

“Let’s get drunk tonight!” Chaeyoung raised the black card, everyone cheered. “Aja aja!” They all yelled in happiness.

 

When they left the meeting room, Chaeyoung looked at the director's office and she smiled when the blinds were up, as usually busy with whatever paperworks she’s doing. They all left the building with the biggest smile her team’s ever shown.

 

It is something to celebrate.

 

“Yah,” 

 

Chaeyoung, who could barely keep up with everything they’re saying, hummed, eyes open and closed as she tried to stay awake and pay attention to whoever nudged her. She doesn’t remember who’s beside her. 

 

“Are you still with us, Team Leader Chaeyoung?” Olivia, she finally recognized after a few seconds of remembering her face. Just how much did I drink? She asked herself.

 

Chaeyoung nodded, clearing to stay convincing but the others didn’t even bother knowing that. Because they're busy staying sober too, just like her.

 

“You know,” Olivia Hye-- Chaeyoung finally named her-- grabbed her glass before taking a sip and winced when the taste hit . “I think I saw an engagement ring on the Director's ring finger.” 

 

Everyone racks their mind, thinking if they ever see one or Olivia is so drunk that she starts mumbling nonsense.

 

“What are you talking about?” Vivi scoffed-- more like hiccup. “You’re just hallucinating.” She shook her head, leaning closer to smack Olivia’s head. 

 

“Am I?” Olivia asked herself, scratching her head. 

 

“Yes! How can you say she’s engaged when no one even knows if she has a boyfriend...girlfriend, whatever, in a relationship.” Yves agreed drunkenly. 

 

“I agree, no one saw her with someone or reported that she had one.” Heejin nodded, taking a sip on her drink. 

 

Olivia huffed, “I swear! I saw one earlier! I am not mistaken or hallucinating!” She pointed at them, Chaeyoung even startled when Olivia pointed at her too. “If there’s a ring on her ring finger, you have to pay me 50,000 Won.” She smugly smiled. 

 

“Deal!” 

 

“But she doesn't, you have to treat us to lunch tomorrow.” 

 

“Call!”

 

“Okay!” 






 

“!”

 

That ended up paying 50,000 Won to Olivia when Director Myoui came to work the next morning, silver ring attached to her finger with a shining diamond in the middle. In other words, an engagement ring. Olivia gladly opened her palm, asking them to pay for their bet-- which they barely remember what and how it happened. 

 

“Even me?” Chaeyoung couldn’t believe it when Olivia nodded with a smirk on her face, eyebrows raising up and down mocking her.

 

“Yah, Son Hye-Joo don’t forget I’m still your Team Leader.” Chaeyoung frowns.

 

Olivia shrugged, “Bet is bet, Team Leader Son Chaeyoung.”

 

Chaeyoung huffed, pulling her wallet and 50,000 Won. Olivia squealed in happiness, it was easy money for her. 250,000 Won in total. 

 

Chaeyoung pouted, sluming herself at the chair and glaring at their Director. When the director sensed that someone was looking at her, she craned her neck and met Chaeyoung’s eyes. She glared back, raising an eyebrow at her to look intimidating.

 

Their staring contest lasted for about 10 seconds, Chaeyoung was the one who looked away, huffing before proceeding to work on her desktop.

 

Director Myoui could only scoff at her in disbelief.


 

“Congratulations,” 

 

The meeting was filled with congratulations, everyone stood up to greet the director and Chaeyoung’s team for the successful presentation. All the board members and investors are satisfied with the proposed project in the future of Myoui Inc. It was indeed worth investing and trust for. 

 

“I’m looking for more projects, Ms. Myoui.” Kim Minghyu, son of KMS Corp, one of the investors of their company said with a smile on his face.

 

“Thank you, Mr. Kim for trusting me.” Mina in return smiled and bowed. 

 

“You know we’re past formalities.” He chuckled. 

 

“But you started it?” Mina chuckled too.

 

“Okay, my fault. Anyway, are you free tonight?” His bubbly facade turned into a nervous one, fidgeting the hem of his coat. 

 

Mina bit her lips, contemplating whether to accept or not. He's a good friend and it’s been a while since their last talk. Catching up a little is not bad at all. 

 

Forgetting that they are still inside the meeting room filled with people, Mina and Minghyu’s conversation got interrupted. “I’m sorry to interrupt you Director, but Mr. Song wanted to talk to you.” Jihyo, her secretary, smiled apologetically. 

 

“Ah, yes.” Mina turned to the disappointed man in front of her. She caressed his arms and smiled apologetically. “I’m sorry, but I think we’ll catch up soon?” 

 

The man nodded, flashing his handsome smile. “Don’t sweat it. Of course, next time is fine.” He squeezed her hand while still caressing his arms. 

 

“I’ll send you a message when.” He nodded, smiling for the last time before she left. A few minutes later he also left after bidding goodbye to them.

 

“I bet Mr. Kim is the fiance.” Olivia snapped her finger startling them. 

 

“Enough with the bet!” Heejin smacked her shoulder. 

 

“Okay! But I’m one hundred percent sure that he is the fiance! Look at how they looked at each other! And how the director caressed his arm!” Cheorry rolled her eyes. She had enough of her prediction.

 

“We don’t even know if that’s an engagement ring! Stop with all these...things!” Yves sighs, shaking her head.

 

Mr. Song, Director Myoui and Chaeyoung’s team are the only ones left in the meeting room. Mr. Song smiled at them, feeling satisfied and proud of the young ones. “I am very much proud of you all.” They could only smile, taking the compliment.

 

Mr. Song being the directors Dad’s best friend, the biggest investor of the company, and a board member has its perks. He had known Myoui Mina, seeing her grow up into the fine woman she is right now also make him like a proud dad. He practically looked after her when her parents were busy with the main branch of the Myoui Inc. 

 

“Especially you, Mina.” He raffles her hair messily. “Job well done. I’ll bring the news to your parents, they sure are so proud of you too.” Mina could only smile in gratitude.

 

“Thank you, Mr. Song.” She bowed, well all of them.

 

“No need to thank me.” He waved his hand dismissively. “You should credit yourself for doing a job well. I want you to raise their salary this month. They deserved it.”

 

Chaeyoung’s Team silently celebrates by fist bumping each other’s along with Chaeyoung. 

 

“Yes, Mr. Song.” 

 

“And please, when are you handing me the wedding invitation?” All of them look at each other in confusion then back at their Director who’s right hand absentmindedly caresses the diamond ring on her left ring finger. 

 

“I told you!” Yves winced in pain when Olivia nudged her side. She silently reminded herself to smack her head later. 

 

“Shut up!” She silently hissed. 

 

“Ahh…” Director Mina chuckled nervously. “We...I’ll let you know when, Mr. So

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter