Aiden's Crush on Tim Curry

The Firsts

It was supposed to be a fun night for the family. It was Aiden’s turn to pick the movie they were gonna watch and he already had the perfect movie in mind. It was a recent DVD release of an old movie that starred his favorite actor of all time, Tim Curry. It was a comedy-mystery based on one of the most famous games - Clue.

 

Settling on the couch between his mom and dad, popcorn bowl in hand, the movie started and he was immediately engrossed. The mixture of horror, suspense, and comedy was superb and the rollercoaster of emotions that he had been sent on was honestly ridiculous.

 

Never in his life before had he ever laughed so hard, screamed so loud, and sobbed for so long. Crying has never been an act that had been discouraged in his family. In fact, he had caught both his parents crying at least once at various points in his life. But he had never actually cried in front of them. This was the first, and it was so embarrassing. Mostly because he was crying over a man that was probably 50 years his senior or more.

 

"Honey, why are you crying?" His mother asked, her hand moving to wipe away the tears falling from his eyes. He couldn't say anything, for every time he opened his mouth, he choked on a sob.

 

"It was a funny movie, son. You were supposed to laugh." The smile on his father's face irritated him because this wasn't funny. But he understood his father was just trying to cheer him up.

 

"Honey?" His mother implored again.

 

"I-I-" he paused and sniffed loudly before clearing his throat. "I just love him so much!" He sobbed, his hands coming up and covering his face.

 

"Baby boy, oh my gosh!" She said with a light chuckle. "I'm glad you enjoyed the movie but-"

 

"It's not the movie, it's him!" Aiden exclaimed as he pointed at the screen, Tim Curry's credit playing. "He's so handsome and funny and perfect!"

 

"Son, he's just an actor. An old actor." His father said.

 

"I know but I love him!" He practically screamed through his tears. His parents laughed and he didn't understand why. Did they take pleasure in seeing their child crying like this? "It's not funny!"

 

"Yes, it is! Wait till I tell your aunt Linda about this." His mother giggled and shook her head as she covered to stifle her laughter.

 

"Mom!" He squeaked out, his voice cracking as puberty decided to remind him she was still around.

 

"Listen, son, your love for this actor is just admiration. Trust me, you'll grow out of this."

 

"No, I won't!"

 

"Yes, you will. There is plenty of fish in the sea. Besides, by the time you're old enough to date him, he'll probably be dead." His father continued. He whined loudly and stood from the couch.

 

"I hate you!" He cried, voice cracking once more as he ran to his room upstairs, his parent’s laughter following after him. It was the first time he ever experienced heartbreak. Granted it was a stupid heartbreak over an actor that he couldn't have; but as a kid, it was still very painful. Unfortunately, he didn't realize that this would be the first of many heartbreaks in his life.