Meeting Changbin

The Firsts

Aiden was only 8 years old when he first met Changbin. The older boy was noticeably silent in most of his classes. They both sat in the back row, Changbin two seats to his left. He always found it funny how Changbin would slowly lower himself in his chair when the teacher would start calling on students to answer questions, trying his hardest to never be noticed.

 

It usually worked.

 

Aiden found it entertaining - Changbin rocking from side to side to keep himself hidden; sometimes even covering his mouth to make sure he didn't make a noise. It wasn't like the work was hard. It was simple math usually, or reading. Almost everyone got the answers wrong, including himself. Honestly, if it weren't for the fact that Changbin said "here" every morning, he would have sworn that the guy was mute. It certainly seemed that way and he wondered if that's why he didn't seem to have friends either.

 

He must be lonely.

 

 

During the lunch break, he decided to approach Changbin, after noticing that once more the other was eating alone. Standing before his desk, it was an awkward situation, really, as he watched Changbin pick and take small bites of the various items in his lunch box, seemingly not noticing his presence. Which was kind of weird considering he was peering down and nearly leering at the other in hopes to get his attention. After a minute or so of standing there, Aiden finally cleared his throat. Changbin jumped, his head jerking up quickly to look at him.

 

"Uh...?"

 

"Hi."

 

It was a simple answer to the confusion the other had. A small wave of his hand as he stood there, a shy smile gracing his lips.

 

"Hi?" Silence passed between them for a moment and the 8-year-old wondered exactly what he should do or say, though there was a pretty logical solution to be had. Simply ask to join Changbin for lunch. That's why he came over in the first place, wasn't it?

 

"Can I sit with you?" He asked. Changbin cocked his head in confusion and took a moment to look around him before finally lifting a finger and pointing at himself. "Yes, you." He laughed softly, his smile widening.

 

"Why?"

 

One word. That's all it took to have the nerves come rushing back. He wanted to run away, and pretend like this didn't happen. But it was too late for that. He was standing there, facing Changbin. It wasn't a bad thing that he wanted to eat with the other. He just hadn't expected the other to actually question him about it. So he answered, truthfully.

 

"Because I wanted to. You seemed lonely." He said gently. It took a moment but eventually, Changbin hummed and nodded his head, a small smile gracing his lips as he accepted the answer.

 

"Okay."

 

Grinning widely, he stole the chair from the desk in front of Changbin's and turned it so he could sit down and face him, placing his lunch box on his side of the desk.

 

"Is that Spider-Man?" Changbin asked as he stared at the front of the lunch box and he nodded.

 

"Yeah!" He grinned. "He's my favorite superhero!"

 

"Me too!" Changbin grinned and smiled at him.

 

"That's cool! I'm Aiden!" He introduced himself as he opened his lunch box and pulled out his bag of fish crackers and opened it.

 

"Seo Changbin!" Changbin said happily and Aiden laughed.

 

"We're gonna be best friends, Binnie!" He said happily as he offered the other some of his crackers. The smile that spread over Changbin's lips had such a strange warmth coursing through Aiden. He had never felt something like this, but the little boy knew that he enjoyed seeing Changbin smile like that. He wanted to make sure the other always had such a pretty smile on his face.