Chapter 7

I've My Grip On You

Eunhyuk stepped into the dorm, feeling jaded and at lost. He slumped against the sofa, feeling glad that the members were all either out or resting in their rooms.The last thing he need was questions from them.

Why did she have to come back at this point of time? Why couldn't she have just left him completely and without a trace?

--

"Hyuk." A soft voice called out from behind.

Eunhyuk froze in his steps. It has been years, but he could still recognise the voice in a heartbeat. He turned around, and there she was standing a few steps away from him.

"Sherlyn." He managed the word in the midst of his shock.

She took a step towards him. He examined her. She had changed. Looking more mature than before. She is wearing makeup, something she never did in the past. And a pair of black heels accompanied her feet. The younger her would never have wore heels - she was always complaining about how uncomfortable and painful they were.

She had grown up from a young girl into a beautiful woman. Yes, she is still as beautiful as ever. Her eyes still shone brightly, and her hair still falls perfectly, framing her small, smooth face.

"It has been long." She broke the silence.

Eunhyuk nodded, "What brought you here?"

"I asked around and found out that you are staying here. I tried going up to look for you but the security mistook me for a fan and stopped me. So I decided to try my luck and waited here." She explained, "I got lucky afterall."

"What do you want?" He asked, feelings of bitterness and disappointments bubbled up in his heart. How could she look so nonchalant? As if nothing has happened.

"How's Yoogeun?" She went straight to the point.

Eunhyuk took a deep breath, calming himself down, "He is fine. He is five now - a very beautiful and bubbly boy."

"Can... Can I meet him?" She asked, her hands gripping tightly onto her bag, clearly nervous about Eunhyuk's answer.

Eunhyuk spotted the ring on her finger. She is married. He could feel anger welling up in him, how could she? How could she abandon them and happily gotten married as if nothing had happened?

She saw Eunhyuk's glance resting on her hand, "I... I got married last year. To my schoolmate, in America."

"Congratulations. Since you have a life of your own now, I don't see why there is a need for you to meet Yoogeun.When you decided to abandon him five years ago, you should have been prepared that he will never be in your life again." Eunhyuk said, as calmly as he could.

"But... I am his mother. I have the right to see him." She argued.

"You're not. Because a mother will never abandon her child."

Her face reddened, clearly knowing that it was her fault right from the start, "I am sorry. I was young, all right? I just... I just didn't think I could manage it... I couldn't accept that my son is..."

"Imperfect?" Eunhyuk completed the sentence for her, "Yoogeun is the most beautiful thing I have ever laid my eyes on. He is more than perfect. And being young is not an excuse. I was young too."

"Please..." She pleaded, tears welling up in her eyes.

Eunhyuk hardened his heart, "Please. Just leave. You chose to leave five years ago, so please stick to your choice and leave us alone."

--

Eunhyuk buried his head into his hands. He did not know what to think, or what to feel. He was in utter confusion at the moment. Did he make the right choice? Was he selfish to deprive Yoogeun of the right of meeting his mother?

He could hear the sound of keys and the turning of the doorknob. He wanted to put on a strong front to avoid unnecessary worries and concerns, but he could not find the strength to do so.

"Hyuk?" A voice called out.

Eunhyuk looked up to meet the eyes of Donghae.

"What happened?" Donghae asked, worries filling his face, "You look horrible. Are you still sick?"

Eunhyuk shook his head, "I am fine."

"What happened then?" Donghae prompted, taking a seat on the sofa beside Eunhyuk.

Eunhyuk hesitated, but decided he needed to let it out before he explodes, "She came back."

"Who came back?" Donghae asked, clearly confused. Who had left Eunhyuk in such distraught?

"Sherlyn. Yoogeun's mother." Eunhyuk muttered, "She wanted to meet Yoogeun."

Donghae kept quiet, allowing Eunhyuk to continue.

"But I rejected her. I am too selfish, aren't I?"

Donghae wrapped his arms around his friend, "No you're not. She was the selfish one."

Donghae could feel Eunhyuk's tears falling onto his shoulder, and his heart broke.

A moment of silence rested between them. Accept for Eunhyuk's snifflings, no one said anything. Donghae tightened his embrace around his friend, hoping to give comfort to him.

"I was ready to give up everything," Eunhyuk said in the middle of his tears, breaking the silence, "I was ready to give up on my dreams, to get a proper job to support the two of them. I made plans, and sacrifices. I wanted to be able to give them the best."

"How could she have just left like that? How could she bear too? Did she not love me at all? Did she have no love even for her own flesh and blood? When I saw her just now, she looked absolutely beautiful and fine. As if what had happened had not left any impact on her. Why Hae? Why?" Eunhyuk rambled on, venting out the frustrations and disappointments he had kept hidden in his heart for years.

Yes, he blamed her. It has been five years, but he could not let it go. Everything he thinks about it, it still hurts.

Donghae his back, calming him down, "Maybe she just wasn't as mature as you, Hyuk. Different people have different aspirations, maybe this just wasn't part of what she wanted."

Eunhyuk wept bitterly, "It wasn't part of my plans too."

"Because you're strong, Hyuk. You chose to take up the responsbility while she chose to run away. She was weak, and that was the easy way out."

"At least you've Yoogeun now. You wouldn't trade him for anything, right?" Donghae asked.

Eunhyuk nodded his head, feeling the warmth from Donghae's neck, "I would die for him."

--