Chapter 3

I've My Grip On You

Eunhyuk leaned his body against the comfortable car seat. The group had just came back from their one week overseas promotion of their Sorry Sorry album. He was glad it was well received, but darn, was he tired. He supposed all the other members were feeling the same way, as the van was filled with silence other than occasional light snorings, unlike the usual chatters.

He looked at his watch, it was three in the afternoon. Just enough time. Just enough time for him to get back to the dorm, drop his stuff, have a quick shower before heading to school to pick up Yoogeun. His heart felt light as he thought of seeing his little boy, one week without him was a torture.

He was just about to slip into his dreamland when he felt something vibrate against his pocket. He eyed the familiar number.

"Umma?" He answered softly, trying not to wake the rest up.

He strained his ears to try to catch what his mother was saying. Her words were fast and she sounded completely out of breathe. It was almost impossible for him to pick up any coherent words.

"Umma, slow down. What happened?" He asked, worries feeling his heart.

"Yoogeun... Yoogeun hurt himself in school. He was sent to the hospital, I am on the way now." She said, slower and clearer this time round.

Eunhyuk almost dropped his phone. Hurt himself? Hospital? How serious was it that he needed to go to the hospital? His heart pounded against his chest, he needed to get to him fast. The thought of his little boy in pain was enough to break his heart into pieces.

As if answering him, the van pulled to a stop as the manager woke everyone up. They have reached the dorm.

Eunhyuk leapt out of the van, digging into his bag for his car keys, "Hyung, I have some urgent family matters, I need to head out for a while."

"You need a ride?" The manager asked, seeing Eunhyuk's anxious expression. It must be serious.

Eunhyuk shook his head and muttered thanks before rushing off to his car. He was about to get in when a hand caught his shoulder. He turned around.

"Teuk Hyung?"

Leeteuk reached out and grab his keys, "I will drive. You will probably get into an accident."

Eunhyuk would prefer not to trouble his hyung, who is probably more tired that him. But he did not want to waste any time arguing. All he wanted was to get to his son.

"Where to?" Leeteuk asked, as he the engine.

"Seoul hospital." Eunhyuk answered, "Thanks hyung."

Leeteuk smiled warmly at him, "He will be all right, Hyuk. Don't worry."

He wish with all his heart that Leeteuk is right.

--

"Umma!" Eunhyuk called out as he saw his mother sitting in front of the doctor's room, little Yoogeun in her arms. His heart ached as he heard Yoogeun's cries even though he is still halfway across the room.

He ran as fast as he could, with Leeteuk trailing behind.

Yoogeun was bawling his eyes out, struggling in his grandma's arms.

"Yoogeun." Eunhyuk called as he gathered the boy in his arms, "Yoogeun, appa is here."

"Appa, pain." Yoogeun said, tears still running down his cheeks.

Taking a closer look, Eunhyuk could see that there was a wound on the right side of Yoogeun's forehead, his knees were scrapped and his little arms bruised.

"What happened?" Eunhyuk asked, as he gently rubbed Yoogeun's back to calm him down.

"He fell down from the swing. The teacher brought him here." Mrs Lee said, sighing, "But he refused to let the doctor treat him, all he did was shout for you."

Eunhyuk looked at Yoogeun's red, puffy eyes. His poor son. Even though he knows that it's not his fault, he still feel like slapping himself for allowing something like this to happen to Yoogeun.

"Appa is here Yoogeun. Appa will stay with you while the doctor take a look at you." Eunhyuk coaxed, wiping the tears from the chubby cheeks.

Yoogeun nodded his head as he wrapped his tiny arms around Eunhyuk's neck, as if saying as long as his appa is here, everything will be all right.

The nurse came out of the room, "Lee Yoogeun's turn."

Eunhyuk stood up, Yoogeun still in his arms. The nurse looked surprised, apparently recognising the idol, "You are his...?"

He hesitated, not knowing what to say.

"His uncle." His mum stepped in and answered.

Eunhyuk nodded, abit relunctantly. What kind of father was he? That he could not even acknowledge his own son in public.

Eunhyuk turned to Leeteuk before following the nurse in, "Hyung, you must be tired. I can head back on my own later."

Leeteuk shook his head, "I am all right. Go do what you need to do, I will wait for you."

Eunhyuk gave a look of appreciation to him, before bringing Yoogeun into the doctor's room.

--

"You look really tired, I will bring him in, you go ahead." Mrs Lee said as she retrieved the sleeping boy from Eunhyuk's arms.

Eunhyuk nodded reluctantly, "Let him know I will drop by soon."

He leaned over and gave the boy a soft kiss on the forehead. Thank God he was all right, other than some minor injuries, his boy was safe and sound. If anything had happened to him... Oh God. H could not even bring himself to imagine what will become of him.

Mrs Lee nodded, "Don't worry, I will take good care of him."

"Take care of yourself too, umma." Eunhyuk said.

He watched as his mother and son went into the house before going back into the car.

"Thanks for today, hyung." He muttered, as he leaned back onto the car seat, "Really appreciate it alot."

"What are brothers for." Leeteuk smiled as he drove out of the driveway, "Now that they are gone, you can pour your heart out to me."

Eunhyuk chuckled, "Why are you so sure I have things to say?"

Leeteuk laughed, "Because you look absolutely horrible?"

Eunhyuk snorted, "Thanks hyung."

"It has been long since I last saw him." Leeteuk commented as he took a left turn, "He is absolutely beautiful."

Eunhyuk nodded proudly, "He is, isn't he? He takes after his mother." He smiled as he thought of his son's chubby cheeks and large beautiful eyes.

"I know you feel guilty about what happened today, " Leeteuk looked over at Eunhyuk as he stopped at the traffic light, "Even though it's not your fault. You feel guilty that you were not there for him when the accident happened, and you feel bad because you could not acknowledge him as your son in front of the nurse."

Eunhyuk gave a small smile. His hyung really knows him inside out, "He is very important to me, hyung. I don't even know how to tell you how important he is. When he cries I cry, when he smiles I smile. I think about him all the time, I worry about him so much I can't fall asleep sometimes."

"I sound like a possessive boyfriend, don't I?" Eunhyuk chuckled at his own words.

"It's just that... I feel the responsibility to  be both his mum and dad. I feel bad he doesn't have a mum like the other kids. And I feel even worse that I am rarely even there for him. I sought ways to make it up to him... But it's just... I don't really know what to do. I... I feel like a horrible father."

His eyes began to fill with tears, and he was not sure if it's because of his emotions or the cold wind blowing out from the air conditioner in the car, "My mum told me just the other day that it was parents' day in his school. And he had no one with him. He sulked the whole day, and threw a huge tantrum when he went home. And he asked my mum, why doesn't he have a umma just like the rest? Why couldn't his appa attend school events with him?"

He was winding down and his tears were flowing freely down his cheeks. He did not bother to wipe them off. Leeteuk remained silent as he continued driving, knowing that he needed to unwind, and he was not done yet.

"Sometimes I feel like I should just quit and get a 8 to 5 job just like the rest. So I can be with him. But... But I like what I am doing now, and I don't know whether I can just give it all up." Eunhyuk paused for a moment, searching for the right words, "I am a damn selfish father, aren't I?"

Leeteuk pulled to a stop in front of their dorm. He turned to face the younger one, "You're not, Hyuk. You're the best appa I have ever seen or heard of." He took out a piece of tissue and wiped the tears from Eunhyuk's face, "I know it's hard... To have a child to raise at your age. But you took up the responsibility anyway, and you're doing all that you can. You are the best appa Yoogeun can ever have."

"Am I?" Eunhyuk asked skeptically.

Leeteuk nodded, giving him a pat on the back, "Most definitely."

--

Donghae woke up from his light sleep as he heard the door slowly opened, "Hyuk?"

"Sorry, did I wake you up?" Eunhyuk whispered as he fumbled in the dark.

"Is everything all right?" Donghae asked, ignoring his previous question. He had been worrying about his roommate, and had been unable to really fall asleep.

"Yes, everything's all right." Eunhyuk answered, "Now, go back to sleep."

Donghae pulled his blanket higher over himself, feeling a little upset. He did not bother to ask what happened, because he knows Eunhyuk will just brush him off just like other times. Jealousy was tugging at his heart. Leeteuk obviously knows what happened, having followed Eunhyuk.Even though he and Eunhyuk are close friends, their relationship just did not seem comparable to that of Eunhyuk and Leeteuk's. Eunhyuk pours out his heart and soul to Leeteuk. Whenever anything happens, he will turn to Leeteuk. Why Leeteuk? Why not him instead? How he wish Eunhyuk would trust him the way he trusts the leader.

--

Comments plsss =D Your comments motivate me to write!