Chapter 6

I've My Grip On You

--

Eunhyuk woke up with an enormous headache. He groaned as he sat up on his bed, hands massaging his head. He glanced at the clock beside his bed. It was already 10am, time to get up.

"You look horrible," Donghae commented as he walked into the room.

"I feel horrible. You're up early, that is unlike you."

Donghae frowned as he placed his hand on Eunhyuk's forehead, "I am not up. I just got back from a photoshoot. And you're having a fever. Go back to rest."

Eunhyuk shook his head, "I promised Yoogeun I will spend the day with him. I haven't seen him for a week."

"If I didn't know better, I would think that you're some love sick boy," Donghae commented, "There's no way you can make it out today."

Eunhyuk groaned, "Of all days. He's going to hate me."

"Not for long," Donghae said as he took out a piece of cooling patch and stuck it on Eunhyuk's forehead.

Eunhyuk half pouted as he took out his phone, unsure of how he should break the news to his son. Knowing Yoogeun, he would have woken up early in the morning, washed up and should be sitting in the living room right now, excitedly waiting for Eunhyuk to pick him up. It irks him that he has to disappoint the little boy.

Donghae sighed as he caught Eunhyuk's expression, "I will go in your place."

Eunhyuk looked up, mildy surprise, "You will?"

"I have nothing on for the rest of the day and he's cute. I will bring him out, I supposed that will lessen his disappointment by abit."

Eunhyuk grinned widely as he pulled Donghae into a hug by the waist, "Ohhhh I love you! What will I do without you!"

Donghae smiled, taking in the moment. Ohh... The things people do for love.

--

Donghae glanced at the pouting Yoogeun sitting in the passenger seat and chuckled.

"Not happy to be out with Uncle Hae?" He asked affectionately.

Yoogeun shook his head, "Yoogeunnie is happy."

But the pout remained. Donghae laughed, "Then why aren't you smiling?"

Yoogeun smiled a smile that did not quite reach his eyes. Donghae could not help but laughed even louder. The boy sure knows how to be tactful.

The half smile turned into a frown, "Stop laughing at me Uncle Hae, that is rude."

Donghae tried hard to control his laughter, "All right all right, Uncle Hae is sorry, Yoogeunnie."

As demanding as the dad. Donghae mentally noted.

"Where do you want to go, my little highness?" Donghae asked, "Your appa told me you love amusement parks."

Yoogeun's big eyes brighten up at the mention of amusement parks and nodded enthusastically. Whatever unhappiness he had was all gone.

Amusement parks more important than dad. Donghae noted again.

"Let's go then! We will have a good time without your appa." Donghae announced.

--

"Uncle Hae," Yoogeun called out, "You like sunglasses and caps too?"

Donghae chuckled as he lowered his cap, "Yes, I like them,  just like your appa."

He was thankful today was not a crowded day, or else he would have trouble hiding himself from being recognised. The last thing he want was to let Eunhyuk's secret out.

"What does Yoogeun wants to ride on?" He asked, holding tightly onto the boy's hand.

Yoogeun pointed at the animal ride a short distance away.

Donghae frowned as he noticed marks on the boy's little hand, "What happened to your hand, Yoogeun?"

He examined the scars on the inner lower arm.

"The doctor poked needles," Yoogeun replied, while pulling Donghae towards his favourite ride.

"Needles? Why would the doctor poke needles into you?" Donghae asked worriedly. It must have been painful, needles poking into such a small arm.

"Appa say my kidney is sick. Doctor poke needle and give me medicine to make sure I don't become sick like my kidney." Yoogeun explained to the best of his ability.

Hemodialysis. Donghae realised what the boy was trying to say. Yoogeun has a kidney disease? He looked at the boy's radiant face and sparkling eyes, how can such a beautiful child be sick?

"Uncle Hae! Let's go!" Yoogeun's voice interrupted his thoughts.

He brushed away the thoughts, deciding that he would ask Eunhyuk about it later. He brought on a smile to his face and turned to Yoogeun, "Yes, your highness. Which animal would you like to ride on?"

"Monkey!" Yoogeun squealed excitedly.

Donghae chuckled, "There's no monkey ride, choose another one."

Perhaps the boy sees a resemblance between monkeys and his appa too.

--

"You feeling better?" Donghae asked as he entered his room, stretching his tired body.

Eunhyuk was sitting up on his bed, reading a random magazine, "Yeah. Teuk hyung insisted I see a doctor. I got an injection, am fine now. Did Yoogeun enjoy himself?"

"I supposed he did. He seemed really happy, and he laughed alot." Donghae said, smiling as he recalled the moments with the boy.

Eunhyuk beamed, "That's good. Thanks alot Hae. This means alot to me."

"Nah, I had fun too."

Donghae's face turned serious as he thought of Yoogeun's words earlier on, "Is Yoogeun sick?"

Eunhyuk looked up worriedly, "Why? Was he not feeling well? What happened?"

Donghae gestured for him to call down, "No no no. He's totally fine. But he told me his kidney is sick."

Eunhyuk sighed in relief, knowing that his son is fine. But a look of sadness crossed his face as he registered Donghae's words, "Yeah. He was born with chronic kidney disease."

Donghae heart ached for the boy, "Is there anything that can be done?"

"He's going through regular dialysis at the moment. Sooner or later he will need a kidney transplant. But the doctor thought it will be better if we do the transplant at a later stage, since he's still very young."

Donghae sat beside his roommate on the bed, putting his arms over him, "It must have been tough on you."

Eunhyuk shook his head, "It's tougher on him. Everytime I see the needle pierce into his skin I feel like my heart is going to break. He struggled at first, always crying whenever he had to go through it. But he slowly understood that it was essential, and he became braver and stronger. He doesn't even complain about it anymore."

"You have an amazing son." Donghae said. Just like his appa.

"It's too bad his mum didn't recognise the blessing she had right in front of her," Eunhyuk muttered, tears welling in his eyes, "That was why she left. She couldn't take it that her son was imperfect."

"She didn't know what she had." Donghae said, gently wiping the tear from Eunhyuk's eyes.

And by that, he was not just referring to Yoogeun.

--

How's the chapt? =D Please do comment!

And I am thinking of changing the title. I put it up temporarily when I started the story because I couldn't think of anything else. haha somehow i don't think it suits the story very well. What do u guys think?