Chapter 6 - Guardian

Hospitaluv

In the morning, before going to the hospital, Nayeon calls her brother, JungKook. She really wants her brother to catch these jerk mafia, so Mina and Sharon won't be in danger anymore.

"Hi, Oppa... How are you? Sorry to call you early in the morning," Nayeon greets.

"Waa,,, my sister call me in the morning, must be something important, huh? What's up, sis?" he asks.

"Hmm...I wanna ask you to take care of this mafia gangster... Jackson..."

"Jackson? How do you know him? He is clearly wanted, but he keeps on changing places! Did he do something to you?" he asks.

"He did something bad to my friend, and I do not like it,,, one of his men attacked my friend again last night... So, Opppaaaa,,,can you catch him and just send him back to Taiwan?" she begs and pouts.

"Friend? or Girlfriend?" he teases.

"Aishh... seriously, oppa..."

"Tell me first who is this girl to you...hahaha"

"She is my first love from 4 years ago..." she says.

"That girl? You still remember that girl?" he chuckles.

"Yes, and now she is working at the hospital too... but she was this jerk's wife...aigoooo, oppaaa... he tortures my Mina and wants to take the baby by force.."

"Oh my... okay, baby girl,,, I will send my men to your neighborhood to keep an eye, in case Jackson's men want to hurt Mina.. then maybe I can track his newest location.. Don't worry, okay.. your Oppa will do the best for you..."

"Thank you, Oppa.. tell me if you have good news,,"

"Of course,, now you can go to work, Nayeonaahh,, take care, sis.. bye.."

"Bye, Oppa.. be careful, okay.."

***

At the hospital, Mina meets Jihyo at the hallway, "Hey, Ji...can I talk with you for a while?" Mina asks.

"Yes, Mina, what's up?" Jihyo is curious.

"This Saturday, are you and Sana free?"

"Hmm..let me check my schedule.." Jihyo takes out her phone and checks it. "I am free, Mina.. and I believe Sana is too... then, what is it about?"

"Wanna come to my place and spend the day together? I will cook and maybe movie day.."

"Ah,,, sure, Mina.. I will let Sana know about it...thank you for inviting though..." Jihyo smiles.

"One more thing, can you bring Nayeon, too?" Mina asks.

"Eh? Why should I am the one who asks her? You are close,right?"

"Yup, but I feel that Nayeon is distancing herself.. she is not that friendly anymore and we rarely hangs out together anymore.." she sounds sad.

"Aigoo,,,that bunny! Don't worry, Mina.. she is just being weird..." Jihyo laughs because she knows the reason why.

"Weird??"

"She is guarding her own heart, Mina...if I may say..."

"Guarding from what?" Mina is confused. Last night she was just saved by her.

"From broken hearted, Mina..hmm.. I am not in the position to tell you about this, Mina.. that bunny is just grumbling all the time because of you.." Ji chuckles. "You can just text her, Mina.. she will reply..." Jihyo waves bye to Mina.

Feeling unsure about this, Mina texts Nayeon.

To: Nayeonnie

Nayeon, are you free this Saturday?

Want to spend time at my flat? There will be Jihyo and Sana, too. 

To: Minari

Thanks for the invitation. I will come.

To: Nayeonnie

Okay, thank you, Nayeon. Can't wait for Saturday.

"See,, she is so cold,,, what happen with her? Guarding herself from broken hearted?" Mina mumbles by herself.

***

Saturday

"Ji,,,, have you arrived yet?" Nayeon asks through a phone call.

"I am picking Sana up now.. so maybe in 10 minutes, we will be there," Ji replied.

"Okay, I will be waiting you in front of Mina's flat,,,"

"Pabo ya... just get in now,, don't have to wait for us,,," Ji scolds.

"Naah... I don't want to be alone there.. It will be weird..." Nayeon excuses. "Drive faster,"

"Yaaaa... we are coming there for you, pabo... just prepare yourself..." Ji laughs.

Two of them arrive and Nayeon is waiting leaning on the wall. "Let's get in now.." Jihyo grabs Nayeon's hand and drags her.

[Bell rings] Mina opens the door, "Hey, ladies, come in..." she hugs Jihyo and Sana.

"Nayeon... Come in," Mina calls her name because Nayeon is just frozen there.

"Oh ya, ya,,, Hi, Mina," she just waves her hand timidly and gets in. Mina is a little bit sad because Nayeon did not hug her like she used to.

"I bring this for our lunch later, Mina," Sana takes out 2 rolls of beef kimbap.

"And I also bring this for our movie time," Jihyo takes out some soda cans and popcorn.

"Thank you, ladies... I will also cook some other food later..." Mina says.

"Nayeon, what do you bring?" Jihyo purposely asks.

"Oh, I bring this for Sharon.." Nayeon shows a small paper bag and gives it to Mina.

"Omooo... for Sharon, huh... what a caring doctor you are, Nabong.." Sana teases while circling her arms on Nayeon's shoulders.

"Thank you, Nayeon,,, Sharon will like it,"

"Yeah, by the way, where is she? I want to play with her..." Nayeon changes the subject and also runs away from Mina's sight. Mina is happy when Nayeon likes to play with Sharon, but she notices that it is only Nayeon's excuse to avoid her.

Mina brings Sharon out from her bedroom and puts her in a small rocking bed in the living room. Nayeon sits on the carpet floor and directly plays with Sharon.

"Hi, Sharon... auntie Nay comes again..." she smiles cheerfully.. "You grow well, huh...wow you can smile now... you must be happy that auntie visits you, right.."

"She is happy because auntie visits her mom," Sana teases and Nayeon glares at her.

"Hahahahaha.., Nice, Sana.." Jihyo laughs and Mina just smiles hearing them teasing each other.

Three of them are busy at the kitchen, cooking some food, while Nayeon is taking care of Sharon. She even takes some pictures with Sharon. 

"So, how is it, Mina? Have you figured it out?" Jihyo whispers...

"About?" Mina asks.

"About her being distanced..." Jihyo adds.

"Hmm.. I still have no clue, Ji... So far as I remember, I did not make any mistake.. we did not fight or argue... so, I am still clueless.." Mina huffs.

"Aigooo, Mina ya...you are so dense.. and Nabong is too afraid to fight," Sana joins the conversation.

"What do you mean, Sana?"

"If I mention dr. V, do you ring a bell?" Sana adds frustratedly.

Mina just silent and mouthed an "Oh"

"But I do not mean to hurt her, guys... and dr. V is just being kind to me..."

"Yeah, kind means accompanying you home every day?" Sana asks.

"What is wrong with it? and by the way, I am straight..." Mina answers.

"Okay, girls, just drop it, okay.. It is not Mina's mistakes.. She is just being her and Nayeon is just coping with her weak heart..." Jihyo calms the situation.

"I am trully sorry for making Nayeon like that... If I am gay, I will fall for her, of course.. But I see her as Sharon's doctor, as a colleague, a good friend, that's it.."

"Yeah, we understand that,, Mina.. it is just sometimes frustrating to see Nayeon's sad face everyday...after all those patients are gone.. she will be suffering just to think about you and dr. V..." Jihyo taps Mina's shoulder.

"It is not because of dr. V..but because you are straight.. It just makes every chance is impossible.." Sana clears the statement.

"I hope she can move on, or maybe find another girl.. Sorry, guys.."

"We hope that too, Mina.. don't worry, we are going to take care of her... just let her be like that.. that is her way to cope with everything." JIhyo ends the secret conversation.

***

The lunch is ready. Mina cooks bulgogi, pajon and also fresh kimchi. They bring the food to the living room so they can eat cozily while watching TV. Nayeon puts Sharon back to her crib inside after giving her a bottle of milk. When she goes out from the room, she sees that the small table is set and her two friends purposely sit next to each other and leave one space left which is beside Mina. She face palm herself, but she cannot chicken out right now.

"Nayeon, let's eat.." Mina taps the space beside her.

"Oh, yeah, thanks, Mina," she sits down beside her while glaring at Jihyo and Sana. They both just wink at her and send a signal to just enjoy the opportunity.

"Hmmm.. it is so yummy, Mina..." Sana compliments Mina's food. "You should try it, Nay.." Sana gives the pajon to Nayeon.

"Thank you, Sana..."

Nayeon just enjoyed her food in silent. Suddenly, Nayeon puts some beef bulgogi on Mina's bowl. "You should eat more, Mina..." and she smiles.

Her friends giggles and Mina smiles, too, "Thanks, Nayeon,,," at least she talks to her and still care for her...Mina thought.

When their lunch is almost done, Nayeon's phone rings,,, "Annyeong, Oppa...."

"Nayeon, turns on the news now!" her brother asks.

"Oh, wait, wait.. Mina... can I turn on the news now? There is something important.." Nayeon asks.

All of them watch the news. A group of gangster were caught at the abandon factory near Incheon Airport. Officer JungKook was the one who led the operation and he successfully caught 15 men under the Taiwainese mafia, Jackson. Up until this point, Jackson is the number one wanted person at the Interpol.

All of them were shocked hearing the news. Mina naturally hugs Nayeon and sobs, "Thank you so much, Nayeon..." Nayeon was surprised by the sudden hug. It is a bittersweet situation where she likes Mina's embrace (she feels Mina's soft mounds, ert thought) but she hates that Mina is not hers.

"Woww, wooow,,, what is this, Nayeon?" Jihyo asks.

"So,, Mina was attacked by one of Jackson's men three days ago, and I luckily I was there to save her..." Mina holds her hands, makes her more nervous. "Then, I ask my brother to catch those bad guys... I guess my brother successfully caught some of them..."

"Cooooollll, Nayeonniiee..." Sana screams excitedly.. "Put them all in jail!!" the squirrel squeaks...

"Yeah, I hope that my brother can capture Jackson soon.. so Mina and Sharon will be saved and V does not have to worry about her again.." Nayeon bitterly smiles and just look at the floor, afraid that her tears will flow out...she really did everything for Mina's happiness, even if she chooses V... who is she? she is just her daughter's doctor...then the atmosphere suddenly changes.

Jihyo diverts their attention, "Who is ready for our movie time?" she asks excitedly.

"Me, me,,,, I am readyy..." Sana cheerfully answers. "Let's tidy up and then we can start watching..."

"I will prepare the popcorn, too," both Sana and Jihyo go to the kitchen, leaving Mina with Nayeon.

"Now, you are safe, Minari...." she smiles.

"Thank you once again, Nayeon... I don't know how can I return your kindness.." Mina says.

"No worries, Mina... I do not do this for something in return... I simply just want you to be happy..." she sincerely says.

"Then, are you happy, Nayeon?"

Nayeon thinks for a while and nods at Mina, "As long as you are happy, Mina..." 

***

Months by months pass.

Sharon is now three years old and Mina has been dating V for 6 months.

Nayeon just being Nayeon, she forces herself to enjoy her live joyfully, doing her job well, and still checking up on Sharon every month, That little girl is very close to Nayeon and she is such a sweet talker.

One evening, there is a patient at the Emergency Room, a mid-year man is in critical condition and needs direct heart surgery. Mina is about to go home, but she is called to take the action right away. She is panic as Sharon's nanny cannot stay longer than 8 p.m., but the patient needs her help as soon as possible. While she is panicking at the lobby, Nayeon passes by, she is about to go home.

"What happen, Mina?" she asks.

"Oh, Nayeon.. I am in a hurry to help a patient, but there is no one who can take care of Sharon...her nanny will go home soon.."

"How about V?

"V? He goes home already..." Mina answers.

"I can help then..." Nayeon offers... "If you want,,"

"Reallyy? Of course, Nayeon...Please take care of Sharon until I go home later.."

"No worries, Mina... good luck with the surgery.." Nayeon goes to Mina's flat.

***

[Bell rings] Sharon's nanny opens the door... 

"Good evening, Ms.... I am Mina's friend.. She is asking me to take care of Sharon so that you can go home,,,"

"Oh yes, dr. Myoui told me just now... dr. Im right?" 

"Yes..."

"Auntiiiiieeeeee....." Sharon runs to Nayeon and hugs her legs.

"Hey, cutiieeee..." Nayeon lifts her up and carries her inside.

"Where's mommy?" Sharon asks.

"She has a sudden surgery to take care, dear... so she will come home late..."

"So you will be here while waiting for mommy to come?" Sharon asks again.

"Yupppp.. what do you want to play?"

"Hmmm... I want to play princess and castle..." she screams excitedly...

"Okay, little princess, let's build the castle first.." Nayeon pinches Sharon's nose.

They build the castle using pillows at the living room. Stacks of pillow are arranged and then they put fluffy plushies inside as the princess and her friends. They both play cheerfully. Nayeon pretends to be the evil princess and Sharon becomes the kind princess. They laugh and enjoy their time together, until Sharon feels hungry.

"I am hungry, auntieee.." she pouts.

"Do you want to eat snack? Let's see what do you have in the fridge.." Nayeon checks the fridge. She sees some udon and vegetables.

"Do you want udon, Sharon?" she asks.

"Yes, yes, udon is my favorite.." she cutely answers.

"Alright, wait for a while okay.. Auntie will cook it first.." Nayeon cooks some udon with vegetables for Sharon and also Mina.. she must be starving after the surgery.

Nayon puts Sharon in the high chair and helps her to eat the udon. She enjoys taking care of Sharon, cause she is a nice kid, funny and cheerful,, just like her. After eating, Sharon feels sleepy. "Woooaamm..." she yawns..

"Oh, baby... you are sleepy already, huh? Let's go to your bedroom, then... I believe your mommy will go home soon."

"I don't want to sleep there, auntiee... I want to sleep at the castle..." she pouts cutely and Nayeon cannot resist.

"Okay, princess,,, I will take your blankie first.." she gets in Mina's bedroom and her scent fills in Nayeon's brain and lungs. Mina's scent is so soothing, sweet and calming. She takes the blankie right away, not wanting to sink in the mood.

"Here is your blankie.. Let's sleep now.. Auntie will be with you..." Nayeon taps the space she prepared.. it is fluffy and comfy to be slept on...then Nayeon covers the little figure with the blanket.

"Auntie Nay... I like you much much much better than uncle V," Sharon innocently blurts.

"Heyyy, what do you mean, honey?" she rubs Sharon's little hand.

"Uncle never plays with me.. he only wants to be with mommy.. but you want to play with me, so I like you...hehehe" she smiles.

"Hmm,,,maybe uncle V just needs more time to know you, dear... just be patient, okay... your mommy is happy with him, right?" her heart is pierced when she says the last sentence.

"Just normal... I don't know, auntiee.."

"It is okay, dear... you are still too young to understand... now, close your eyes," Nayeon says and hums a familiar lullaby for Sharon. In 5 minutes, she is drifted in dreamland and the door is open. Mina is back. Nayeon cannot get up because Sharon is holding her hands.

"That familiar hums,,," Mina hears it when she enters the room. She is smiling when she sees that her beloved daughter is asleep in a castle. "They must be having good time together," Mina thought. She walks closer and kneels down across Nayeon. Looking at Nayeon and Sharon together, her hands are holding Nayeon, such a view. Mina whispers, "Thank you, Nayeon,," and Nayeon just nods.

Nayeon tries to get off from Sharon's hold so she can get up. "Mina,,, I cooked some udon and vegetables before. You must be hungry, right... here, eat it,," Nayeon asks Mina to come to the kitchen and eats the supper.

"Sorry, Nayeon, you must be cooking for Sharon earlier, right.. Sorry if she is a burden.."

"OH, no, Mina.. she never be a burden for me.. come on, I knew her since she was born and she grows to be a cute princess,, so she is definitely NOT a burden for me.. you can ask for my help anytime, Mina..." Nayeon explains.

"Thank you, Nayeon..."

"Stop thanking me, Mina.. It is just a simple thing... a thing that a friend will do," she smiles.

"Still, you are my best friend, Nayeon..." she replies.

Mina eats peacefully and Nayeon just accompanies her. Mina then moves Sharon to her bedroom.

"Okay, I guess I will go back to my flat right now, Mina.. have a nice rest,," Nayeon dismisses.

"You too, Nayeon.." Mina waves her hand.

***

That is another day helping Mina and Sharon. She is glad and tries to feel satisfied to only becoming Mina's best friend. That is enough.