Chapter 5 - Poor Bunny

Hospitaluv

It is Monday. It is the first day Mina works at the SNU Hospital as a surgeon. She will be working at the same department as Jihyo, but she handles more challenging stuff, like heart surgeon. 

So, that morning she is ready to go to work before leaving Sharon with a nurse that she hires from the hospital. She is wearing white long sleeves shirt with some pink polkadots. Carrying her handbag on her shoulder, she is heading to the hospital and going right away to the 5th floor where her room is.

She finds the room with dr. Myoui sign on the door. Everything is settled and she familiarize herself with the new work place. She has no patient at the moment, so she spends her time to go to the cafeteria to get something to eat.

***

On the other hand, Nayeon is already at the cafeteria as usual...she is having breakfast with Jihyo and Sana. Actually she wanted to pick Mina up this morning, but she cancelled the idea as she does want to be too obvious that she really falls in love with Mina. She wants Mina to relax and enjoy her life with Sharon, not being selfish with her own feeling. So, here she is, having morning time with two of her best friends.

Jihyo is about to wave her hand to give Mina signal, but Nayoen stops her, "Just let her, Ji... I don't want to take any advantage from you, guys... I just want everything to flow naturally...if she is not for me, then so be it.."

"So, it will be okay for you if dr. V gets her?" Jihyo points at dr. V who tries to open the conversation with Mina.

"If V can make her happy, then why not?" though inside, Nayeon is burning seeing those two talk comfortably.

"Aaawww, Nabong...." Sana taps Nayeon's shoulder.

"Make sure you do not regret your decision, Nay... V is handsome and they look good together," Jihyo adds and Nayeon just nods lazily.

They continue their breakfast while Nayeon keeps on glancing at Mina's direction. 

***

Nayeon works diligently like usual, serving all patients with her warm smiles and sometimes she plays with the kiddos cheerfully, but Jihyo's words stuck in her mind 'do not regret your decision, Nay.... do not regret your decision, Nay...' 

"Damn it!" she cursed. Nayeon decides to freshen up her mind and goes to a nearby cafe to buy a cup of iced americano. She needs coffee to clear up her head. When she orders at the cashier, she hears a group of men laughing and she sees V is there, too, with other doctors. She automatically eavesdrops their conversation and she hears Mina's name, like he wants to try to get know Mina... saying that Mina is pretty... "! I want to clear up my head from Jihyo's words, but here I am, stupidly hears him talking about Mina.." Nayeon angrily curls her hands.

After her order is ready, she gets out of the cafe directly and heads back to the hospital. Her feet bring her to the garden where she usually enjoys her alone time. She sits at the bench and just puffs out her breath, "So, finally after I found my long lost love, I am going to lose her again...how cruel.." she sips her iced coffee. It tastes bitter, just like her heart. It never gets touched by anybody else except for Mina. Her heart that only belongs to Mina, maybe it will be vacant forever. "To love is to sacrifice," Nayeon murmurs by herself.

"Busy day?" an angelic voice wakes her from the miserable reality. The angel who brings happiness and misery at the same time. Nayeon is really confused now.

"Oh, Mina... yeah, just need to clear my head for a while."

"May I sit?" Nayeon nods and gives space for Mina, with certain distance. She does not want to sink deeper in Mina's ocean. She does not want to hope, to expect, or just dream about the possibility of Mina is hers.

"How's Sharon?" Nayeon diverts the attention to cover her sadness.

"She is doing good, luckily there is a nurse who is available to take care of her while I am working." Mina explains and Nayeon just smiles.

"How's your first day here?" she asks again.

"Hmm.. I like my room and today I have 3 patients.. So, not bad for my first day,,, How about you?" Mina asks back.

"Mine? just an ordinary day like usual... meet those cute kiddos and inject them,,,hehehe" Nayeon laughs.

"It must be fun taking care of children.. They are still innocence" Mina smiles. 

Nayeon without she realizes, she is staring at Mina for several seconds, to just admire her, to take every inch of Mina's profile into her head, a profile that is not hers.

"Why do you come here, Mina?" Nayeon asks.

"Just to enjoy the green scenery, I like the quietness here..." Nayeon nods and sips her coffee again. She was expecting that Mina would answer that she was looking for her, but she was wrong AGAIN. Mina just like the scenery.

Then Nayeon stays quiet as Mina wants to enjoy the quietness. She closes her eyes and just leans back. It is not even 5 minutes, there is another interruption,,,

"Afternoon, dr. Myoui," dr. V greets. "Wow, you already found a nice place in this hospital,,," he continues.

"Afternoon, dr. V... yes, I am just relaxing a little bit here," Mina answers.

Nayeon opens her eyes and stands up, "I will go back in first, dr. Myoui.. enjoy your time," Nayeon smiles bitterly. "See you around, dr. V"

"See you, dr. Im,," dr. V replies.

Mina feels something bothers Nayeon as she directly leaves like that. But she cannot ignore dr. V, too. He is kind and friendly like Nayeon.

***

Nayeon returns to her room with a heavy heart. She knows that she promises to be Mina's friend and she will support Mina, especially when it comes to Sharon. She calms down her nerves and back to her positive vibe. No matter what happens, she will always be there for Mina, though it will break her heart into pieces every single day.

Nayeon has another patients that afternoon and she finishes everything well. She puts aside Mina for a while so she can focus doing her job as a pediatrician.

She goes home in the evening and has a warm bath that day. She continues her Netflix series and sleeps at 10 p.m.

***

Nayeon's days are just like that day by day. Doing her job, greets everyone in the hospital warmly, hangs out with Sana and Jihyo, goes home, eats, takes a bath, watches Netflix and sleeps.

It has been 3 months since Mina works at the hospital. She still sometimes talks with Mina when they pass by each other, checking on baby Sharon, but just that kind of routines. Nothing special. But it is also has been 3 months since dr. V tries to be friend with Mina, and they grow closer each day. Sometimes, Nayeon sees her having lunch together with V or just chit chatting casually. "If Mina is happy, then Nayeon is happy" that is the mantra that Nayeon repeats inside her head.

***

One evening, when Nayeon walks home, she hears a familiar voice in the alley next to the flat. Her angelic voice whimpers. Nayeon fastens her speed to check her hearing and it is true. It is Mina's voice. She is cornered and Nayeon cannot see Mina properly cause there is a big guy in front of her, and that guy is strangling Mina's neck.

"Hey, you, let her go!" Nayeon feels dejavu. It was like when she confronted Jackson back then.

"You, little cutie, don't you dare to get into my business," that big guy is not Jackson and looks scarier.

Nayeon gulps, "When you touch her, then it becomes my business, too," Nayeon barks back.

"Who are you, little lady? You wanna join the fun with me, then?" the tall guy steps forward and Nayeon moves backward.

"Nayeon, just leave me..."

"No, Mina... I swear that I will be with you, right.. then I will keep my promise,"

"You hear her, huh? Just go away!" the man shouted.

"So, you are one of Jackson's boy, huh? So you want to be in jail soon, then, if you don't leave Mina!"

"Hahahaha... so you are JungKook's sister? Wow, what a nice coincidence then...I know your face now, pretty lady,,,, Okay, if that is what you want, I leave Mina now, but I will surely come back, when you cannot protect her! Hahahahaha!" the big guy leaves.

Nayeon runs to Mina, "Mina, are you okay? Which one is hurt? Tell me, Mina.." Nayeon holds Mina's hands.

"I am okay, Nayeon.. You saved me again, huh.. Thank you, Nayeon.."

Nayeon with her hormones that missing Mina badly, embraces Mina in a bear hug. "Thank God you are okay, Mina.." she tightens the hug.

Mina melts in Nayeon's embrace. She actually misses this kind of Nayeon. Nayeon that is protective around her, Nayeon that is caring for her, Nayeon who gives warmth for her heart. She is just too clueless not to like Nayeon back. 

Nayeon releases the hug and grabs Mina's wrist, "Let's go back home.. Sharon is surely waiting for you," Nayeon smiles and just enjoy this short moment with Mina. Her heart misses her for the past three months. This is the first time she hugs her again. She hugs the love of her life. She does not want something bad happens to Mina.

When they arrive in front of Mina's unit, "Do you want to come for a while? A drink, maybe?" Mina offers.

"Hmm... no need, Mina.. It is already late.. you just go take a shower and spend your time with Sharon,,, maybe next time.." Nayeon tries to act cool.

"Okay then, thank you once again, Nayeon... Good night" 

"Night, Mina... pass my kisses to Sharon, okay..." and to you, too, Nayeon says inside her heart.

***

"I am going to really report this to my brother! I won't let anything bad happen to my Mina and Sharon.." Nayeon reminds herself before closing her eyes to sleep.