Chapter 3 - Not ready

Hospitaluv

After her rest time, checking up some other patients, eating dinner with Sana and Jihyo at the cafeteria, the clock is showing 9 p.m. and it is time for Nayeon to go home. But her mind cannot stop thinking the possibility that Jackson might come and hurt Mina or Sharon. Battling with her mind, Nayeon decides to stay at the hospital that night. 

She sneaks into Mina's room around 10 p.m. She tip toes so that Mina will not recognize her presence. She peeps at the curtain and sees that Mina is already asleep. Woah, she feels releaved and continued to settle herself comfortably at the sofa. It is so peaceful to see Mina's sleeping face. Nayeon sighs remembering the reality how life treats each of us. Why Mina has to face that kind of marriage situation and why the world did not give her chance to know her back then. Maybe Mina would not need to face all this harsh and difficult situation. "If only you are mine, Mina," Nayeon whispered before closing her eyes.

***

Morning comes and Mina awakes. She stretches her body and sit down on her bed, adjusting her vision. 

"Oh!! Who is there??" she screamed and woke Nayeon up.

Nayeon jumped out from the sofa, "Ya! Who is there?" she is ready with defense position.

"Nayeon?!!" Mina is surprised. "It is you! You slept here?"

"OMG, Mina... I thought Jackson is coming here again..." she slumped back on the sofa and drifted her eyes. It is too early for Nayeon.

"Such a dork," Mina smiles.

She slowly gets off her bed and walks to Nayeon with a blanket in her hands. She covers Nayeon with the blanket and sits next to her, "Thank you, Nayeon," she says while Nayeon is still snoring softly.

[Alarm rings] Nayeon is awake by her own alarm. She wipes her eyes and notices that there is someone at the edge of the sofa. She straightens her body and sees Mina's face in the morning brings smile to her face, "Good morning, Mina,,, sorry for waiting,, I was still sleepy just now.."

"Thank you, Nayeon-ah... you don't have to do this... I am not worth y-.."

"You are important for me, Mina," Nayeon cuts her sentence before she ends it. "I don't want to see you get hurt or something bad happens to you.."

"But why you care, Nayeon? We have just known each other for 3 days... I am grateful though, but you are doing too much," Mina explains.

"It is not much, Mina.. it is even nothing..."

"Mind explaining to me?" Mina is curious.

"How about we talk about it at the hospital garden while having our breakfast? I know you must feel bored here..." Nayeon offers.

"That sounds interesting," Mina says.

"Your hand, please," Nayeon stands up and offers her arm so that Mina can link it, since Mina cannot walk properly after the surgery.

Mina smiles and receives it gladly. They link their arms. Nayeon feels some electric pulses when their skin brush each other. Both walk slowly to the garden, and many nurses and doctors greet Nayeon in the morning. "So it is really true, huh... a hospital charmer..." Mina teases.

"Xixixixi.... as you see yourself... but don't worry, I don't return their feelings,,," Nayeon smiles widely and Mina honestly does not understand what Nayeon implies.

***

Nayeon helps Mina to sit at the garden bench, "There you go,,,wait for a while, I am buying some breakfast first," and Mina nodded.

It is such a nice air to breathe.. the morning air.. it is so chill and makes Mina forget her problem for a moment.

Nayeon comes back with some toasts and 2 cartons of chocolate milk. They eat together while exchanging some light questions related with the hospital things. 

After they are done eating, Nayeon starts to open up about her reasons doing some stuff to Mina.

"I saw you around 4 years ago at the college, Mina..." Mina looked surprised. "And since then my heart belongs to you," Nayeon chuckles knowing Mina's status today. Mina wants to say something, but Nayeon continues, "I just want to let you know, Mina.. nothing more.. after seeing you again 3 days ago, I was so happy that the universe finally gave me the opportunity to know you...but at the same time, the universe also told me that you are someone else's, was someone else's.. the girl that I love, gave birth to a beautful daughter... So if you asked me why I did all those things, that is the reason... I expect nothing from you, Mina.. I know that maybe you also have your own preference in love.. I just want to be honest with my own feeling and I do not want to regret anymore in the future.. So, here I am, I am so happy to have you here, soon we are going to be colleagues, and I am looking forward for our friendship," Nayeon ends the sentence with heart aches and tears almost fall.

Mina is processing all the infromation that she heard. She feels Nayeon's sadness, happiness. and also confusion since Nayeon directly confess to her in the morning, while during her life, Mina knows that she is a straight person. She never fell in love with a woman before. So, everything is new for Mina.

Mina just holds Nayeon's hand, "Thank you for sharing the story and being honest with me, Nayeon... I am so sorry for that,,, I cannot return your feeling... I just know and feel that you are a good friend and the best doctor here... I can trust you.. I feel safe around you.."

"That is totally fine, Mina.. as I told you before, I just  want you to know... It is okay if you don't love...like me back,,, I totally understand.. So,,, friends?" Nayeon offers her hand to shake.

"Yes, friends," Mina shakes her hand. 

Nayeon smiles though inside she feels her world is scattered. Her loved ones does not reciprocate the feeling. She needs alcohol soon to lash out her emotion, she is at the edge of crying out loud, but stays cool in front of Mina.

"Nice weather today, huh.." Nayeon says to distract the awkward situation.

"Yeah, indeed,, thank you for bringing me here, Nayeon.."

"Anytime, Mina.. We can just come here to release our boredom..."

"I will..." Both of them just enjoying the breeze and sit there for another moment.

***

Nayeon and Mina walk back to the room again. Along their way back, Mina can feel Nayeon's sadness though Nayeon keeps on smiling at her and greeting others cheerfully. She feels sorry for Nayeon, but she cannot do anything about it.

Reaching the room, Nayeon tucks Mina back to her bed and says, "Thank you for spending the morning with me, Mina... I will ask the nurse to bring Sharon here... Have a good day, Mina,," Nayeon is about to turn her body and walk out, but Mina catches her wrist, "Are you okay, Nayeon?" Mina asked worriedly, and Nayeon just replies with her sweet smile and nodded. "See you later, Mina.." Nayeon let go of her hand and went out.

She walks quicker and head to the restroom, she enters one of the booth and tears burst our from her eyes. Nayeon's heart shattered to pieces. Her feeling that she keeps for so long by herself is now broken into pieces, she cannot handle the emotion and the aches. "So, this is how heart broken feels like,,," she chuckles. "How will I face her everyday later? How should contain my feeling inside when she is so real, finally she knows me,,, Why is it so hurt?? It is better that we don't meet again, my heart will not break like this.. I love you so much, Mina... my love for you is just so big that I want to keep you safe... I want you to love me back... Geezz..it hurts.." Nayeon hits her chest several times to ease the pain.

After couple of minutes, Nayeon calms down. She still have jobs to do, she cannot ignore her patients. She gets out from the booth and washes her face to lessen the swollen effect from crying. She looks at the mirror, "You have to be strong, Nayeon.. you still have a life to live... live without Mina..." she is about to cry again, but suddenly someone opens the restroom door, so she just wipes her face and bows politely and gets out.

***

Nayeon is giving her best service to all her patients until it is already in the afternoon. When there is no more patient, she walks toward Sana and hugs her tightly, "Sanaaaaa..." she is pouring out her feeling before, and sobs at Sana's shoulder.

"Aigooo,,, what happen, Nay?" she rubs Nayeon's back to calm her best friend. "Stop crying, Nay... tell me what bothers you.." Sana brings Nayeon to the sofa and she waits until Nayeon is calmer.

"I confess to her, Sanayaaa... and and it is an urequited love..." Nayeon cries again like a child.

"Whaaattt?? Why so sudden? I will call Jihyo here," 

In a minute, Jihyo comes, panting after running a little bit, "What happen?" she asks when entering Nayeon's room.

"Bad heart broken..." Sana sighs.

"You were still okay yesterday...what happened, you, pabo yaa..."

"She is ing straight, Ji...." Nayeon sobs.

Jihyo laughed, "Of courseee... how come she got pregnant then if she is not straight!!"

"It could be an arranged married, right..." Nayeon sounds hopeful.

"Yaa,,, Im Nayeon, not everyone is gay like you..." Jihyo replies. "So now you will be a big cry baby and give up?"

"I guess..."

Jihyo smacks Nayeon's head, "Yaaaa!!" Nayeon protested.

"Where is the enthusiastic Nayeon? The charming Nayeon who breaks many people's heart?" Sana adds and JIhyo nods.

"She says that she is straight because she never experience further things with you.. She just knows you for these past 3 days....You don't give her a chance or you have not tried to get to know her first, Nay..." Jihyo explains.

"So, what should I do?"

"Just be Nayeon, cheerful Nayeon who impresses many doctors, nurses and patients... I believe she will grow some feeling if you are patient enough..." Ji adds and taps on Nayeon's shoulder to support her.

"Yeah,, Jihyo is true, Nayeon... You have to show it to Mina that you are her friends, you care for her, and Mina will feel your sincerity and maybe fall in love with you someday.. Just be consistent and be natural,,, Don't push her, just let this relationship flow." Sana adds and Jihyo agrees with her.

"You think so? She will maybe fall for me?" Nayoen hopes.

"I cannot guarantee Mina's feeling, Nay... I just don't want you to give up without you try it," Jihyo says.

"First, you can be her daughter's doctor right.. start from 0, Nay,,, don't rush everything,," Sana advices.

"Yeah, that is true, though,,, I can still be her friends by taking care of Sharon,,, thank you for all your support, girls," both of them hug Nayeon.

"Now, get up... Smile and don't lose hope, okay.." Jihyo pats Nayeon's . "Go and see your girl right now... I don't want my patient gets stressed because her favorite doctor is suddenly missing."

Nayeon smiles widely and she gets our from her room.

***

Room 3709

Nayeon tidies herself up in front of Mina's room. She inhales deeply and exhales slowly. Collecting all of her nerves to face Mina with bright aura.

She knocks on the door and gets in. She sees Mina is walking back and forth, carrying Sharon on her shoulder.

"Hi," Nayeon greets.

"Oh, hi, Nayeon,,, nice to see you again... busy day?" Mina asks.

"Yes, lots of patients today... I just want to check up on you and Sharon.."

Then a nurse comes in and brings dinner set for Mina. "Have a nice dinner, Ms Myoui,,, and good evening dr. Im," the nurse says shyly.

"Thank you, nurse,," Mina replies.

"Oh, it is your dinner time... May I carry Sharon? So you can eat your dinner.." 

"Of course,, if you don't mind.." Mina puts Sharon in Nayeon's arms.

Nayeon puts Sharon's head on her shoulder. She rocks softly while humming some children song. It makes Sharon calm and sleep.

Mina smiles seeing this view, she glances secretly at how Nayeon rocks her baby, hums for her. She just wished that she has the normal life where both parents can take care of their baby together. He rmind brings back to Jackson's rude action, but she swipes it away, and just focus on Nayeon. "Just be patient with me, Nayeon," she whispered. "Thank you for loving me sincerely, even after you know my condition," she said it in her mind.

While eating, Nayeon asks some questions about Mina's major study,, why she chose to be a surgeon and stuff.. just basic information about college time. She does not want to rush thing, as Jihyo and Sana suggested.

"Oh, have you got your dinner, Nayeon?" Mina suddenly remembers.

"Don't worry, Mina... After I go home, I can just cook some ramyeon," she smiles.

"Ramyeon? That is not healthy, Nayeon..."

"Yeah, that happens when you don't know how to cook and you live alone, right.. it is okay, Mina... I get used to by it,,," Nayeon laughs but she also sending some signals to MIna about her lonely life.

"Hmm.. I will cook for you, when everything is back to normal,,, you have to keep your body healthy, you naughty doctor,," Mina chuckles.

"Really? You will cook for me?"

"Why not, we are going to live at the same flat though,, you can just come over to my place after working..." Mina smiles showing her gummy smiles.

"Thank you, Minariii,,, oopsss, sorry... Mina.. I meant.." Nayeon blurted.

"I like the nick name, though..."

Nayeon's eyes are shining, "So, I can call you with that name?"

"No problem for me, Nabong..." she attacks back.

"Hahahahahahaha...." Nayeon laughs out loud. Luckily baby Sharon does not wake up hearing her blast laughters.

"Okay, I think it is time for me to go home. My ramyeon is waiting for me.." she jokes and returns Sharon to her crib.

"Nayeon..." Mina calls her.

"Yes,"

"May I hug you?" Mina asks.

"H-h-hug??" Nayeon funnily shows the hugging movement with her hands.

Mina laughs, "Yes, Nabong, that kind of hug.. May I?"

She shyly nodded with red hues on her cheeks. Mina embraces Nayeon's figure, "Thank you for loving me, Nayeon,, Thank you for everything.." Nayeon hugs her back.

Nayeon melts in Mina's fragile body. Her love of her life is hugging her right now and it feels like heaven. Mina is such a soft lady. She is so considerate of Nayeon's feeling. Nayeon rubs her back gently, "Thank you, too, Mina. Everything will be okay."

Both of them break the hug, some feelings emerged in that short interaction. Both of them are agreeing that they will just let this relationship flow. They will start fresh and nothing to worry about.

"Good night, Minari..." Nayeon waves good bye.

"Night, Nayeon... see you tomorrow," Mina replies.

"I will,," Nayeon gets out of the room.

***

Nayeon goes home with a big smile on her face. It is true what Jihyo and Sana said. She has to work on it, show her care to Mina and maybe Mina will reciprocate the feeling some day.