Chapter 1 - See her again

Hospitaluv

"Nay,,,, go to the baby room after finishing your breakie,, there is a newborn who get a little complication," nurse Sana, her bestfriend, told dr. Im about her next task.

(Munching her food) "Hmm, okay, okay, what kind of complication, Sana?" she asked.

"Just now dr. Park Jihyo said something about heart,,, haa,,such a poor baby," Sana sighed.

"Agree, I wonder how come that little fragile baby gets this kind of condition," she pouted. "Alright, I finish my food and going to check the baby," she stood up and nurse Sana followed along.

Doctor Im is the best pediatrician in the SNU Hospital, she was the best gradute from Seoul National University, taking pediatric major, and it is her 3rd year working at the hospital. Everyone loves her as she is the happy pill in the Pediatric Department, except that she is still and single. Many male and female doctors want to court her, but she politely reject them, cause she does not have time for relationship, she enjoys her singleness, and she still keep her feeling only for that one particular person. Someone in her college time, that she did not have a chance to know her, since they were in different year. Nayeon only knew that the girl was in the same faculty, but she did not know her major. Nayeon captured the memory of her face, her smile, and her moles scattered on her face. Such a gracious young lady.

Entering the baby room, Nayeon washes her hands and puts on her medical uniform to keep the sanitary. She goes to the ward where she sees a baby girl in the incubator. The baby is sleeping peacefully with some hoses attached to her nose.

"Heeyy, tiny human, how are you? I hope you are doing fine, cause I believe your Mom is worried and waiting for you to be healthy,,,," Nayeon took the baby hand and rub it gently. "I am going to check your condition, okay,,, do not worry, little fellow,," Nayeon coos.

After four hours of checking the baby's condition, Nayeon identified the problem and wrote the result in the baby record. She put the baby back to the incubator so that she can rest, and it was already lunch time, then she cleaned herself and went straight to the hospital's cafeteria.

***

She greets the nurse and doctors who are already in the cafeteria, and lines up to take her food. She thanks the cashier and looks for a vaccant table to sit. 

"Nay,,,, here,,," dr. Park waved her hand ad Nayeon nodded.

They eat their lunch while chatting about work. "Long morning, huh?" she asked Nayeon.

"Not really, I only checked this one baby that was born this morning. It was you, right who helped the labor?" she asked back.

"Yup, it was a smooth process though,, I can tell that the mother was a strong person, she was alone, without her husband,,, oh, and how about the baby? I heard that there was a complication,," dr. Park Jihyo rambled.

"Oh my,,,without her husband? maybe he was busy..." she reasoned.

"Busy? Which one is more important? Work or your wife delivering your baby? I guess they are not together anymore.." Jihyo insisted.

"Welll... no one really has a perfect life, right.. by the way, about the baby,,, she get the con heart defects, but not the critical type... through regular check ups, she will be fine,,, but it will take years... poor baby..." Nayeon explained.

"Geez....I can't believe how the mother will feel...Oh, one more thing, I heard that she will be working here as a surgeon,," Jihyo told Nayeon.

"It is good then, so she can check on her baby's condition easily..." she nodded.

They finish their lunch and go back to their own department. When it is around 4 p.m., the head nurse asked dr. Im to accompany her to bring the baby to the mother, as dr. Im has to explain the condition of the baby.

***

Room 3709

Doctor Im knocks the door and get in the VVIP room, followed by the nurse and the baby inside the crib. 

Holding the note board, Nayeon read the name to greet the woman inside.

"Good afternoon, Ms Myoui Mina," dr. Im bowed and greeted.

"Good afternoon, dr. Im," she replied and when Nayeon straigtened her body and looked at the woman, she was shocked.

"You?" was the only word that Nayeon said. She froze and all of her memories about the long ago crush replayed in her mind.

"Sorry, doctor? Anything happen?" Mina asked.

The nurse poked dr. Im's arm to wake her from her dream.

"Oh, oh, my apology, Ms Myoui, eh, dr. Myoui. I was startled.. I don't know that our new doctor will be as pretty as you," she rambled cutely, but then suddenly covered her uncontrolled mouth. 

"Thank you, dr. Im, but wow,,, how the news is really spreading so fast, huh... It is a privilege to work with the best gradute at SNU, though.." she replied.

Dr. Im blushed, "Ah, I am just an ordinary doctor like the others.. I am sho happy to have you joining our hospital,, I knew it since the first time.." she blurted again,,,she could not control her nervousness.

"Since the first?" she is confused.

"Ah-ah, nevermind, dr. Myoui,,, here is your beautiful baby," Nayeon carried the baby carefully in her arms and transfer her to Mina's arms.

Their skin brushes and sends electricity to Nayeon's nerves. Although it was a long ago crush, but still gives this butterfly effect for Nayeon.

Nayeon stands further from the bed to give some Mother and Daughter private time.

Mina rubs her baby's cheeks and hair. She kisses her baby and tears coming down form her pretty eyes. The happy tears and also the sad tears, if only Nayeon understands.

Nayeon grabs the tissue and gives it to Mina. "It is always a lovely moment to see Mom and daughter time..." Nayeon smiled.

"Thank you, doctor.. Yes, I love her so much,, she is my life now," she said and smiled back.

Geezzzz...that gummy smile...sooths Nayeon's heart.

"Hmm...doctor Myoui,,, there is something that I have to inform you about your baby's condition," she feels burdened.

"Yes, doctor, what is it about? Anything happen to my little Sharon?" she asked.

"Oh, so her name is Sharon.. what a pleasant name," she showed her bunny teeth smile and Mina chuckled a little bit.

Trully, doctor Im makes Mina feels calm and comfortable, and makes her to forget about her ex-husband for a while.

"So, little Sharon is having CHD, but she will be okay through regular check ups and she will be totally fine as she grows older," Nayeon explain slowly.

"What? CHD?" Mina cursed her ex-husband in her mind.

"Yes, but you don't have to worry,,, I will help Sharon during her treatment and check ups,, I will make sure that she will be okay," Nayeon tried to calm Mina.

"I believe that you will try your best, doctor, it is just about... Nah, forget it... I will trust Sharon under your care," she said.

"You have my word, dr. Myoui," she promised.

"Just call me Mina,,, it feels so distant if you called me doctor Myoui," she chuckled.

"Oo..okay Mi-Mina.. you can- can call me Nayeon, then.." she replied.

"Hmm.. so sorry, Mina,, we have to bring Sharon back to the baby room, she still needs to be in the incubator for several more hours... I will bring her again later at night," Nayeon said.

"Oh, sure, thank you for your attention, Nayeon," she put Sharon in Nayeon's arms.

"Have a restful time and do not think too much, okay,,, so you can recover faster and you can feed Sharon soon. I will send medicine for that." Nayeon's face turned redder when she mentioned the word feed. Not because she is not familiar with that, she is doctor though, she knows all human body parts. It is just because of Mina's effect.

Nayeon bowed and left the room. She put the baby back and rest for a while too in her room. She processes all that just happened. How her heart pumped faster when she saw Mina again after these 4 years. She finally got her name and the universe just made this opportunity again to know her better. But then she remembered about Mina's marital status. She brushed over her thoughts, it is not her business anyway. She just had this crazy crush, and now she meets her again. I will just be a good doctor for Sharon.

After resting for a while, nurse Sana knocks on her door.

"Come in," Nayeon said.

"Here are the files for tomorrow's patients, Nay..." she put them neatly on Nayeon's desk.

"Oh, thank you, Sana yaaa,,," she stretched her hands and hips.

"Here, I bring you dinner, I know you must be starving, right,,,"

"Sooo sweett of you... hahahaha... Let's eat together then,,," she offered.

Then they eat together and talk about several things happen in the hospital that day.

The clock show 8.30 and it is time for Sana to go home, while Nayeon will go home at 9.00 p.m. "You can go home first, Sana,,, I will go home soon, after sending this newborn to her mom,,, see you tomorrow,,"

"Okay, bye, Nay,, take care," Sana waved her goodbye.

***

Nayeon pushes the baby crib of Sharon and deliver her to Mina. Along the way, she is just smiling at herself, thinking that she will see Mina again. She pressed the lift button and go to the 3rd floor. 

She knocks the door gently and pushes the crib inside. She smiles when she looks at Mina, "Hi, again,, here is your little princess... she is a strong baby," she puts the crib next to Mina's bed.

She then opens the curtain and lifts the baby carefully and gives her to Mina.

"Heyy, pretty," Mina coos and pokes Sharon's cheek.

The baby wriggles a little it and shows her smile,,, "Ooohhh,,, how cute she is,,,,she knows that she is with her Mom,,," Nayeon said.

"What a cute little girl,,,say hi to doctor Im..." she played with the baby's hand.

"Do I need to feed her now?" she asked.

Nayeon lost her focus suddenly, "Ah, hmmm,,, it is up to you,,, I will call the nurse to help you then if you want to try," she reasoned.

"Aren't you the best pediatrician here? I want the best service, then,," she teased a little.

"Oh,, how do you know about that?" she feeld too proud in a second.

Mina chuckles, "So, would you mind helping me, doctor Im?" she asked with her angelic voice. "This is my first expericence,so I am not familiar with it," she added.

"Oh yeah, yeah, of course, I will help you," she panicked. "Wait, I will adjust your seating position first," she fixed Mina's pillow that support her back and took a special pillow for feeding so the mother's hand will not feel numb.

"There you go, it is set,,,do you feel more comfortable now?" Mina nodded.

"Then?" Mina asked.

"Oh yeah, wait, I will prepare the warm water first,,, wait for a sec," she cutely rambles and Mina finds her cute.

Nayeon is back with a bowl of warm water and several pieces of clean cotton. "What is it for?" Mina asked.

Nayeon rubs her nape, "To-to clean your so it will be hygiene for Sharon," she explained.

Mina starts to lower her patient's clothes, she lowers down the one on her left shoulders. Nayeon looks away to keep her red face unnoticed by Mina.

"Nayeon...Nayeon.." Nayeon awakes from her short dream and she looks at Mina's face, not wanting to lower her gaze further down.

"Yes, Yes,, sorry,,," she apologized.

Nayeon takes one piece of cotton and dips it to the warm water. "Excuse me, doctor Myoui," she gulps. Nayeon open Mina's clothes wider so she can wipe her .

Oh Damn,,,,I see her ..and I am wiping it now. I need to grasp myself. Be cool, Nayeon.. You have seen hundreds of s before. Mina is just another woman. Be professional..be professional.

Then, Nayeon guide Sharon's mouth to Mina's and the baby starts to latch on and automatically. "Good girl," Nayeon praises Sharon.

"Thank you, Nayeon,"

"I am just doing my duty," Nayeon replied.

Nayeon sits down at the sofa and just browse her phone, giving Mina private time with the baby and calming her own heart after what happen before. After around 30 minutes, Mina called Nayeon.

"Nayeon, I think she is done, she is sleeping peacefully right now," Mina said.

"Oh okay, wait,,, excuse me again," she wiped Mina's again and fixed her clothes.

"You seem nervous,"

"Me, ye, yeah.. of course I am nervous being with a pretty woman like you," she chuckled so the tension will disappear.

"Really? You compliment me too much.. you are pretty, too... I believe many doctors here want to be with you," Mina replied.

"Hahahahaha,,,, but sadly I turned all of them down,,,"

"Why?"

"Cause I am still waiting for the right one," Nayeon smiled widely.

"Thank you, Nayeon, thank you for being here,"

"It is not a big deal, Mina.. It is my job anyway,,"

"I mean not as a doctor, as a friend.." Mina said.

"Oh, of course, as a friend, I will help as much as I can," Nayeon assures her. "By the way, I will go home soon, I will leave Sharon here with you, you can sleep together with her,,, tomorrow morning, a nurse will come and bathe her,"

"Oo okay, Nayeon, once again thank you for everything,,, take care during your way home," Mina waved her good bye.

"Yes, you too, have a restful night and be happy with Sharon... I will check on you and Sharon tomorrow," Nayeon said while leaving the room.

***

That is one special day for Doctor Im Nayeon....meeting her crush again.... growing this feeling toward her....