Should've Been Us

The Way I Loved You

To say that it was an exhausting month is an understatement. Mina and Chaeyoung are actually so done with their respective works and promised themselves that they should certainly have a vacation after finishing the things they need to finish and file for a week leave for them not to get sick physically and mentally because of workload they had that month alone.

 

Mina was the one who initiated that they should just have a drive going to the farthest sea, they could ever reach in their whole life, totally far away from the city and from the toxicity of their corresponding companies.

 

She also volunteered to drive both going to their destination and going back home because she knows that Chaeyoung is more than physically tired than her and besides, she also wants to practice her driving skill because it has been a while since she used her car, as Chaeyoung is always the one who drives the both of them on and off work.

 

The whole journey going to the sea was amazing, to be honest. They have their favorite playlist on, they also have some snacks and fruits to munch on, as well as the refreshing air they receive because they prefer to open the window than to inhale the air coming from the built in air conditioner of the car.

 

Mina and Chaeyoung are the happiest when they are with each other and being with one another, only the two of them, far away from everyone and everything can definitely be therapeutic for the both of them and Chaeyoung keeps on saying how grateful she is for Mina’s idea because she really needs a breather (and it’s not the sea that she’s distinguishing as her breather, but it’s Mina, all alone).

 

Once they eventually reached their destination, they instantly built the tent they brought with them and put all their belongings there as they enjoy the splash of water and the calming waves in front of them.

 

It was peaceful. It was like a trip to paradise where there is no pain, no sadness, no hardships and struggles. They were enjoying the company of each other as they take photos of one another and together, cherishing every moment they have because they don’t exactly know when will they have that kind of chance again where they don’t think about anything but just happiness and contentment with one another.

 

“You know, this is just actually our 2nd year together, but I’m already comfortable with the idea that you are the only one I want to spend the rest of my life with”

 

Mina casually said as she enjoys the way she plays with Chaeyoung’s fingers and her head is leaning on the girl’s shoulder, the sunset, magnificent as it is, currently happening right in front of their eyes. It was like a scene from a movie.

 

“Yeah? Well, I’m also glad that I can see you right beside me in the next years of my life. It’s just so nice to imagine all of it because you’re the only person who make me feel like this—like I am indeed essential in this world, that I have a purpose, that I am worthy of love and appreciation. You’re just so amazing and I love every single thing about you, Mina”

 

The older lift up her head to see the smiling Chaeyoung already staring at her with her sweet gaze and calming smile. The younger then pointed the tip of her nose, gave her a peck on her cheek, and kissed her temple, as if letting go of a promise she will surely fulfill in her whole life—to be with Mina, always.

 

When they eventually decided to go back home that same day because it has been exactly 24 hours since they started their journey as they planned to leave and go back at night to enjoy the night breeze, Mina once again drove the both of them back to their place.

 

The comfortable silence with minimal soft music dominates the whole vehicle as they still enjoy the air coming from outside, the window still rolled down.

 

They were just in the middle of the journey when Mina’s car keeps on giving her signs that it is about to give up and keeps on malfunctioning. Chaeyoung is currently sleepy, but tries to calm Mina down by saying that they should look for some automobile repair shop to see what is happening with her car and they can just take a cab back home.

 

She’s just thankful that Chaeyoung is by her side because if not, she might already be panicking and calls anybody from her contacts just so she can receive some help, literally in the middle of the highway where there is no houses nor other shops, other than minimal gasoline stations.

 

Chaeyoung doesn’t let go of Mina’s hand, holding it tightly and saying some words to calm the girl down.

 

The car still keeps on malfunctioning and to their misfortune, the street lights in the current road they are taking are suddenly turned off, they don’t know if there is an accident or whatnot because there are no authorities taking care of the situation, so Mina doesn’t have any choice but to trust herself in driving and let her eyes be clearer than ever to avoid accidents.

 

The song they are currently playing is already at the when the car rapidly speeds up that made Mina lose control of it and made the car suddenly bump into a broken city light and the impact was just so hard because the side glass of the car broke made Chaeyoung lose consciousness and her head is currently bleeding.

 

Mina, panicking and crying, as her headlight keeps on blinking, immediately called an emergency response number as she keeps on hoping that they will both be saved, especially Chaeyoung.

 

“Chaeyoung, please hold on there. The response team is already on their way. Keep on holding, hmm?”

 

The girl holds her hand tight and Mina is glad that Chaeyoung is still holding on to her, not wanting to let go of her hand even if it is sweaty and already has some blood on it.

 

“I’m not going anywhere, so you should also stay here, okay? I will always be here, Chaeyoung. Just hold on. Let’s keep on waiting until we’re out of this, okay? We’ll go to the hospital and the doctors will treat you.”

 

When Chaeyoung opened her eyes after losing her consciousness for some minutes, Mina was glad and waits for the girl to respond.

 

“We’ll come home together, love. Hang on, there.”

 

The response team eventually arrived after 7 minutes as they had a struggle going to their current location because of the broken lights. They were immediately transferred to the ambulance and they are still holding in each other’s hand tight as Mina tries hard to stop herself from crying yet her tears keeps on falling.

 

The life support suddenly beeps in an unusual manner when they are already just a kilometer away from the hospital. Mina holds Chaeyoung’s hand tighter than ever before and keeps on blowing kisses as she stares at the girl who is obviously fighting for her life.

 

“Don’t leave me yet, Chaeyoung. We're almost there. I can’t live without you. You are my everything.”

 

It was a bittersweet day. They enjoyed their stay at the beach and finally had the relaxation they have been meaning to receive for weeks already, yet they still faced a struggle on the way back to their home and Mina just can’t imagine how tragic her life can be, losing all the people she treasures in her whole life in just a blink of an eye as Chaeyoung suddenly lose grip from her hands, the machine still keeps on beeping and the authorities trying to have initial response, yet, she was still dead on arrival and Mina doesn’t have any choice, but to let her heart cry.

Chaeyoung wore a white dress and a sweet smile on her face as she enters the church that is currently full of daisies and children running while wearing white clothes and flowers on their hair and wrists.

 

Everyone was happy when the choir eventually started singing a love song and they enjoy the music as they walk in the aisle one by one.

 

The backdoor of the church opened when everyone was already in their place and it revealed Mina in a gorgeous white, long dress and a bouquet of flowers in her hand as she wear the prettiest smile Chaeyoung could ever see in her entire life.

 

When Mina eventually reached the end of the altar and a girl that is not Chaeyoung holds her hand firmly as they both face the mass leader, Chaeyoung felt a tug in her heart, even if she literally doesn’t have a beating heart already.

 

“You said I was your everything. But looking at you, she’s now your everything

 

A tear fell down from Chaeyoung’s face and she immediately wiped it with her bare hand, but it suddenly keeps on falling so she doesn’t have any choice but to let it, let her whole being witnessed a wedding ceremony of Mina, not with her, but with another girl.

 

“It should have been us, Mina. It should have been us.”

 

Her words were resentful and her tone is bitter as she see how happy Mina is while the other girl is stealing glances at her and everyone around them is welcoming and feeling lovely about the couple.

 

“It should have been us at that altar. It should have been us exchanging vows and promises of forever. It should have been us spending the rest of our lives together. It should have. But I am not your everything anymore.”

 

Chaeyoung looked at her hand that is slowly fading away and looks at Mina right after who is happily tearing up while saying her vows. She’s now letting go of me.

 

“You will forever be my everything, Mina. I love you to death”

 

And in this universe, where Chaeyoung woke up in the other life where she is not with the girl she promised to spend of her life with, she still didn’t end up with Mina.