To(Get)Her

The Way I Loved You

Almost everyone is assuming that Mina and Chaeyoung are best friends that are slowly turning into lovers, considering the way they both treat each other as if they are the most precious thing in the world, way too different from the way they treat their closest friends. If the both of them will be asked by someone what’s the real score between the two of them, they will look at each other and instantly chuckle before they actually confirm that they are just really close friends, best friends.

 

Of course, they don’t believe the both of them, particularly those who have seen them right from the start when they are still shy in each other’s presence and rarely talk until they literally become the best of friends, that almost no one can get them separated in every day of the week.

 

They are that close despite their differences because they believe that they fit each other perfectly like a puzzle piece. And no, that statement doesn’t mean it should be romantic, but, they can assure that it is just associated with an idea called soul sisters.

 

Yes, they can treat each other like friends or sisters, almost like a family because of how comfortable they are with one another. Including the fact that they know each other’s deepest secrets, dreams and nightmares, goals and disappointments, regrets and pet peeves, and a lot more that they don’t want to share with others, but only with one another.

 

But it’s all different for Chaeyoung. It’s way too different for Chaeyoung because in 8 years that she has been friends and close with Mina, no matter how she stop herself and avoid every little thing connected to romance, she just can’t help but to keep on falling with Mina and her wonderful eyes, gorgeous visual, nice personality, and literally everything about the girl.

 

It may be cliché for others, but Chaeyoung believes that it is most likely to happen in two best friends because of the bond they share with one another and how they treat each other. She doesn’t want to assume anything because she knows that Mina is not the kind of girl who likes someone like her, or for short, she is certain that she is not her type.

 

And with that narrative, she thinks that it’s just normal for her to decide whether or not she will confess because it is already given that it is risky and their friendship for almost a decade already can be harmed if she will be selfish and tell her feelings to her best friend.

 

So instead of stressing herself out about confessing, and whatnot, she eventually just decided to keep on showing her love for Mina like a best friend, but gradually leveling it up for just a best friend.

 

Chaeyoung is known to be sweet and romantic with all her poems, songs, drawings, sketches, and everything about art. Everyone can say that the person she will take interest in a romantic way is lucky because that person will instantly be a muse of Chaeyoung’s art. She’s also known to be a person who wants the person she loves to be protected, to feel safe and comfortable with their environment so Chaeyoung does her best to make it easy for them, let everything flow in a natural way and let things happen like it’s meant to be.

 

And she’s also a wholesome one, an amazing individual who can make a person like they’re the most important thing in the world, that no one can hurt them if they are in Chaeyoung’s arms, that nothing bad will happen if they will always keep sticking with Chaeyoung, that they will always be loved, supported, and appreciated by the girl because she believes they deserve every bit of it.

 

She’s also the type who gives flowers, chocolates, drinks, and gifts on random days, even without occasions, but when it comes to Mina, it also comes with a random drive to the sea, to the highway, to the coffee shop, to the mountain, or to somewhere else where it will be just the two of them.

 

She has been careful yet a little revealing with all of the things she has been doing for Mina lately, stopping herself from spilling the fact that she is indeed in love with her best friend because she thinks that it is better that way, that she’s just making Mina feel that she will always stay by her side, even just a best friend and she can probably just get rid of that stupid feeling she has for the girl over time.

 

And Mina is not dumb enough to notice all of those efforts Chaeyoung has been giving her. Though she admits that she’s confused because as far as she knows, Chaeyoung has always been sweet to her, but never that sweet to the point that she will never let go of her hand, she will hug her tighter than ever before, she will give her poems and listen to her stories about her day, even if it is repetitive already, and that as if she already has a motive behind all those efforts and actions, not just because she’s doing it all as a best friend.

 

As months pass by, she lets Chaeyoung as she is eventually getting the message the girl is trying to deliver to her and believe her or not, she is trying her best not to be awkward and some sort because she doesn’t want to lose one of the most important person in her life.

 

“Hey Mina, are you doing something tonight? Can we talk?”

 

“I was just about the sleep. But yes, sure we can talk. I’ll just head to the balcony”

 

Chaeyoung was guilty because she surely disturbed the girl, but since the latter already agreed, she just took a deep breath and prepared for rejection (spoiler alert: it’s not what you’re thinking about, a.k.a., confession).

 

“What’s up?”

 

“This is really, really random because I was watching a movie and can’t sleep. I mean, you already know me, right?”

 

She let out a nervous chuckle after she heard a soft giggle at the other line and continued.

 

“I don’t know, but I just want to know your opinion on the possibility of a person confessing their love they feel for their best friend? Like… the romantic one?”

 

“Oh…”

 

Chaeyoung was about to clarify that it is not about their own friendship, but Mina was fast to give her answer.

 

“If I were to be asked? Hmm… I think I’m still not ready to enter a serious relationship, like the romantic one and like the dating with marriage in mind because I think I still don’t fit to be a person who gives her partner the things she needs to share with that person. And it’ll be awkward because it’s a best friend, so yeah”

 

The younger was hurt and let out another nervous chuckle and just shook her head. She already expected it to be that way so she doesn’t have the need to be disappointed, but she’s still hurt by that fact that it actually happened and Mina most likely indirectly told her that she’s not accepting her love for her. Yet, Chaeyoung truly understand what Mina meant and so she decided to just don’t think of confessing in any ways possible because she already knows her answer.

 

Chaeyoung decided to just be best friends with Mina again, but still treat her as a princess and the only person she will give a special treatment to.

 

Until there comes a time where Chaeyoung was given a great offer for her work that is totally a big favor for her so she was so excited to tell everything about it to her best friend because good or bad news, the first person she wants to know about it is Mina.

 

It is certainly a nice promotion and she agreed on it right away because she personally thinks it’s for the best and for her feelings to eventually die down like she wants it to be because the confession literally will give her a bad finish line.

 

Once she let Mina know all of her plans of leaving the country in a matter of time, the latter was welcoming and gentle with her words that Chaeyoung doesn’t know if she will be scared or not.

 

“Follow your passion. Follow your heart, Chaeyoung. I know you want it for a long time and being able to work in Europe that is your dream destination is a really achievement for you. I know you’ll be happy and successful there. I’m so proud of you.”

 

The day of Chaeyoung’s flight to Italy eventually arrived and Mina was too busy to fix her hair, even her shoes because she was hurrying going to the airport, even if Chaeyoung already said that it’s okay if she can’t see her one last time because she understands that she’s tired from pulling an all-nighter from work.

 

She checked the flights flashed on the screen and saw that Chaeyoung’s flight already left that made her let go of the breath she doesn’t know she has been holding for a long time already. So that’s how it feels like.

 

“She already boarded the plane. I’m too late.”

 

At that very moment, amidst the sea of people around her, Mina actually realized that she should’ve accepted Chaeyoung’s indirect confession because she was just confused back then. She should’ve cleared her feelings instead of avoiding it.

 

Mina is actually scared of commitment and risking something, particularly the precious friendship she has with Chaeyoung and she doesn’t know, but it might be the dumbest reason she have ever reasoned in her whole life because damn, she knows too well how perfect Chaeyoung can be. She knows too well how Chaeyoung is the perfect definition of love, sunshine, comfort, and the things she is feeling in her whole system whenever Chaeyoung holds her hand and embraces her whole being.

 

Just because of being scared of committing and risking, she lost the possibility of having her one great, true love in her whole life and she hates everything about it.

 

That’s why, when she woke up the next day when the sun is already too high, that means it is her unusual waking up time, she realized how fool she can be for not committing everything and not ending up with Chaeyoung in this universe.