Special Entry: Thousand and One Paper Cranes

The Way I Loved You

Soft giggles and warm smiles dominate the whole place as little Mina and Chaeyoung keeps on chasing each other around the Myoui residence while their parents are having their tea time inside, looking at them so lovely, sometimes reminding them to slow down because they might trip and will earn them a wound in their body.

 

The two kids then assured them that nothing will happen to the two of them as they are careful enough to play with one another and it’s literally their favorite game—simply just chasing one another and deciding to grant the other a wish if they chase them.

 

“I got you, Minari! Now, grant me a wish!”

 

Little Chaeyoung excitedly told Mina as she hugs her from behind, catching the girl after the latter tried her best to run away from her best friend because she wants to win, though she eventually didn’t. The two of them are laughing while catching their breath as they approximately run 7 laps in the backyard and they sure are already feeling tired and needs some refreshing drink for them not to feel extremely thirsty.

 

“Okay. What’s your wish?”

 

They walk hand in hand going back to Mina’s house and were welcomed by Mina’s grandmother with a mango juice and strawberry juice, as well as pastries, in a tray for the both of them.

 

“Did you have fun playing your favorite game?”

 

“Yes, Grandma! As usual, I beat Minari again. I guess I’m really that good in chasing game.”

 

“It’s actually because I’m too tired to run, you know? That’s why I’m always letting you win and grant you wishes”

 

“But you’re a runner, Mina. Your physical education teacher always says you’re good at running, how come you always lose against Chaeyoung?”

 

“Maybe she wants to keep on kissing my cheek, Grandma!”

 

The old woman chuckled at Chaeyoung’s joke as she already knows that it has always been the same wish the girl keeps on telling Mina. Even though she’s not clearly sure the reason behind it, she can just see that the two of them are meant to be together, ever since they were born.

 

“Why do you keep on saying the same wish, though? Just admit it, Chaengie. You have a crush on me. I’m so pretty, right?”

 

“Whatever you say. You’re still the prettiest and will always be the prettiest to me, Minari”

 

“Stop with the antics already, kids. Go and eat your snacks and drink your juices already. You should change your clothes later as well or your parents will scold you”

 

“Okay, Grandma”

 

While eating, they just keep on teasing each other with wishes and that doesn’t stop the Grandmother to look at them as if they’re a wonderful pair that will have a lot of amazing experiences together when they grow up. 

 

“Do you want to hear the story of the day already?”

 

The two shows excitement by shouting ‘yes’ in unison while clapping their hands as they finish their snacks quickly to listen to the old woman. It is actually her stories that they always look forward during afternoon weekends because it’s just so interesting and it shows them how wonderful the world is ahead of them.

 

“Alright. After I tell you a short story, you will have a homework, okay?”

 

“Okay!”

 

“It’s not actually a story, but a part of a culture that concerns an origami paper crane. Do you know what that is?”

 

“Yeah? I’ve seen Mama hold one when I visited their room. It’s a blue one.”

 

“Legend has said that if a person folds one thousand paper cranes held together by strings, their wishes will be fulfilled by gods.  It actually symbolizes hope and wishes granted and often given to a person who is seriously ill for them to wish for their recovery. It can also symbolize peace and love, as well as healing during challenging times.”

 

“That’s cool, Grandma. Does it really grant a wish, though? Like Mina always does for me?”

 

The old woman only giggled at the little girl’s question and ruffled her hair as she give further details.

 

“Well, it doesn’t go exactly like that because our Minari grant wishes that is already way too familiar to her and is also for her liking. Making thousand paper cranes needs some patience, perseverance, and passion because it’s no joke to make a lot of it. That is, I think why it’s special to make a bunch of it.”

 

“Hmm, okay. I’ll try making a lot that I can do and give it to you, instead. Is that your wish this time, Chaengie?”

 

The girl in front of her hesitates, acting like she’s thinking of what wish she should ask the girl when she already got an idea for it when the Grandmother told them something about paper cranes, specifically because it concerns art and her enthusiasm with it just literally shows.

 

“Sure!”

 

It became a competition instead the next day when they woke beside each other in Mina’s king-sized bed full of colorful, fluffy pillows and her Tim bear in various sizes.

 

“Whoever finish a hundred paper cranes first will get to taste Grandma’s special cookie tomorrow! Is it a deal?”

 

“Deal!”

 

They closed the deal with their usual pinky promise and thanked the older Myoui who gave them the materials they need to fold paper cranes.

 

It was yet a chaotic and incredible sight as the both of them tries to distract the other while folding. Though they had a hard time learning how to properly fold one and Chaeyoung was quicker because she has always been an art lover, she still patiently taught Mina how to fold one and ended up folding five for her and just one for herself in the meantime that made the older laugh at her.

 

“Seems like I can beat you this time, Chaeng Chaeng!”

 

Mina starts to fold her 57th paper crane after finishing their lunch and right after her parents told the two of them to slow down and not be too serious about the friendly competition.

 

“You bet. I would like to taste the cookie first as it’s one of a kind and a rare one in the whole wide world!”

 

Chaeyoung declared as she finished folding her 50th paper crane. They always just have a 5 to 10 paper crane difference and with their determination, they both believe that they can indeed finish a hundred at the end of the day before dinner time.

 

It may not be a good thing as they have classes already the next day, but they still made sure that they already studied their lesson in advance so they won’t get scolded by their respective parents. 

 

Once they eventually finished folding a hundred paper cranes at the exact same time during their lunch break, Mina’s grandmother visited them at their school and gave the both of them the cookies she promised, as well as some fruits and croissant that is their favorite. It made the two of them hug the old woman, showing how spoiled they are, especially Chaeyoung who is not blood-related but already close to the Myoui family.

 

“Congratulations for folding a hundred paper cranes, Mina and Chaeyoung! You deserve an extraordinary chocolate chip cookie!”

 

It was a heartwarming feeling growing up and growing old with each other as they was literally raised in the same neighborhood, knows everything about each other, and can already pass as soulmates because they certainly memorize one another’s whole being already as days pass by.

 

It is already nearly 2 decades since Mina and Chaeyoung have known each other and their relationship just gets stronger as no one can literally separate the two of them, may it be on academics or activities outside the school, even the companies they applied for their respective jobs.

 

And of course, who wouldn’t fall for Mina that have grown so beautifully with her beauty marks on her face, pinkish lips and cheeks, wonderful eyes, and gummy smile? Who wouldn’t fall for Chaeyoung that developed into an amazing girl with her adorable mole under her lip, deep, twinkling eyes, puffy cheeks, and contagious giggles? The answer is literally not each other because as their relationship gets old and deeper, the more they develop romantic feelings for each other and therefore had the chance to admit what they truly feel about one another.

 

It was Mina, who surprisingly admitted her feelings first after granting Chaeyoung a really old wish of kissing her cheek as she was beaten by the girl once again in a childish game they swore they will never play again yet they there were, having a tug of war in a mere dog leash when they both know Mina will still win at the end.

 

“God. Even if you’re annoying as hell, why can’t I still avoid falling all over again for you, Son Chaeyoung?”

 

It actually came out of the blue that made Chaeyoung blush and release the grip on the leash that results to Mina falling on the floor, but was caught by the other in an instant (literally and figuratively? Chaeyoung is certain it is both).

 

“It’s because I will always be here to catch you if you fall, Myoui Mina”

 

It came like a thunder when their lips suddenly pressed to each other and it feels so warm, feels so nice, feels so magical being in that moment alone when there are just the two of them, swiftly feeling all the love they have for one another and that’s just a picture perfect because they truly know that the love they have is real and not just an infatuation, not just being in love with the idea of love.

 

When they eventually went back to the Myoui residence, hand in hand, similar to the way they hold hands whenever they spend their weekends at that place when they were kids, Mina’s grandmother just noticed a different aura in the two of them, it’s a positive one and she can be assured that she can pass away peacefully knowing that her favorite grandchildren will be together in the next decades to come, like how she always root for the two of them.

 

“Come here”

 

The old woman signaled the both of them to come closer to her and immediately gave them the extraordinary cookie they have been meaning to taste for a while already as it has always been rare and it was just their second time eating that chocolate chip cookie that is indeed for special occasions. It still tastes incredible as ever.

 

“Mina and Chaeyoung, promise me that you will not let go of each other’s invisible red string, the way you don’t let go of each other’s hand since day one, okay?”

 

It sounds like a last will and testament, except that it doesn’t involve any assets or belongings, more like a promise they should fulfill for the old woman. The atmosphere suddenly became gloomy and Chaeyoung was fully alert once her girlfriend will tear up anytime soon.

 

“I’ve seen the both of you grow not just as simple kids, but as incredible individuals. I’ve been always proud of the both of you and I always believe in you, in everything you do, considering your determination and passion in life. So, when I saw you walking hand in hand a while ago that gives me déjà vu when you were still kids, I clearly saw your red string of fate with one another that has been tied tightly on your pinky fingers. Please take care of each other and stay with one another until the end, okay?”

 

It was a heartfelt conversation before they both pondered how to cherish every little moment they have with the people they love. They comforted each other’s family with the passing of Mina’s grandmother and everyone lay lowed with their respective businesses to respect with the loved one they just lost.

 

Everything happens for a reason and they should keep moving forward as life should always be treasured. That moment unexpectedly made Chaeyoung become distant to Mina, though the latter can a bit understand why, she still needs some further explanation to why her girlfriend suddenly acted that way when it’s already been half a year and they should feel okay, at least, and they should always remember what they promised to the deceased old woman.

 

“Hey, did I say something wrong in the past months? Are we still okay?” 

 

Chaeyoung averted Mina’s gaze, stopping herself from falling further and telling the thing she shouldn’t tell the girl in the meantime.

 

“N-no. It’s not like that. I’m just not… in the mood to talk”

 

“Is that so? Okay. Sorry if I’m disturbing you. I should go. Take care, Chaeyoung”

 

It is evident in Mina’s tone that she is concerned with her girlfriend, however, she also doesn’t want to push her to tell her something if she’s not yet ready. She also thinks that she’s just used to the girl always being affectionate and always the one who initiates the conversation, so this time, she just really needs to understand and wait for her to open up as she can sense that there’s something not right in between their communication with one another.

 

The younger felt the guilt right away when Mina was already out of her sight. It is clearly not her fault that Chaeyoung was not in the mood, it’s actually because of the bad news she just received when her parents dropped her off the hospital as she keeps on experiencing night sweats, fever, and fatigue than usual, as well as, pain in the bones and frequent infection that she felt for the first time in her life.

 

It made her worry about herself, of course, particularly the specific details the doctor has mentioned as her condition might get worse in the coming months if she will not take care of herself more than usual.

 

She asked her parents to keep it to themselves first, not telling anybody, not even the Myouis, particularly Mina, even if her Mom opposed to the idea because her girlfriend needs to know the truth about her condition.

 

That event from the hospital made Chaeyoung even more distant to her girlfriend. Even if she really wants to cuddle with her, give her lots of hugs and kisses, hold her hands, and be with her, she just can’t. Even if she was eventually diagnosed with leukemia that is not contagious, she still chose to go far away from her, though they clearly did not break up because the last time they talked with each other was when Mina surprisingly visited her at her own home and thankfully, she was not feeling down that time.

 

“I thought I could pay you a visit already as you haven’t talked to me in weeks. I’m seriously worried, Chaeng. Auntie and Uncle are not telling me anything except that you’re having a fever, yet it’s been weeks. What happened to you?”

 

She wants to get closer to the girl, wants to embrace her because she surely misses her warmth, however, she tried so hard to stop herself from doing so because it can possibly just end up hurting the both of them.

 

“It’s nothing serious, Minari. You don’t need to worry about me. Thanks for the visit, by the way.”

 

It made Mina scoff because she has been dead anxious about her girlfriend yet that’s all she got as an answer? Not even an explanation to why she keeps on avoiding her gaze and not talking to her properly, not to mention the physical distance they have when they should be cuddling at that certain moment? Mina just can’t believe what’s happening so she decided to just walk away and right away decided to gradually forget everything.

 

She knows it’s just her initial reaction—out of anger and sulking because she surely misses her girlfriend and she’s been dying to know what’s happening to her, when she tried to forget all their bond ever since they were kids, hiding all the things that can remind her of Chaeyoung, even trying to forget her name and everything about her.

 

It was a week before Mina got tired of forgetting everything, including the things that they cherish ever since they met and eventually just let everything as it should.

 

With that happening, she really felt that she doesn’t have any girlfriend anymore and it slowly made Mina comfortable because all her troubles and worries are being pushed away. 

 

And Chaeyoung didn’t totally let that happen as after a month and a half of contemplating, she decided to let Mina know about her condition because she doesn’t have any choice and either way, she really needs to know, as someone so special to her. Mina needs to know her condition because she is her girlfriend and she should be the most important person that should know about what’s really happening to her.

 

She wants to be with her until her last day, even if it will hurt the both of them, even if she sounds so selfish, she wants to be with her until her last breath.

 

She doesn’t even know what’s gotten into her that she decided not to let her girlfriend know everything about that when it’s important and it can affect their relationship. She also doesn’t know why breaking up hasn’t always been a choice for her, but she just realized how selfish she was for wanting to keep her by her side while she’s also keeping a distance away from her. Either way, she knows she’s hurting Mina and that’s why she already finalized to tell her everything and be honest with her because it’s what she deserves—the truth and nothing but the truth, even if it will break their hearts, or the other way around.

 

While Mina realized that she can’t certainly live without Chaeyoung, no matter how hard she try to forget everything about her, their promises and antics when they were kids, the things they were thought by her Grandma, and such stuff.

 

It was 1 in the morning when she decided to escape from her parents and went to the Son residence. She was wondering why the light on Chaeyoung’s room is still open and immediately saw the girl looks so problematic while looking at the starless night sky. It made her worried once again, that’s why she tried to call her and say that she’s there and they should talk in person.

 

“Mina”

 

“Chaeyoung”

 

They both said in unison the same time their eyes met each other like it’s the most natural thing to do. It made the both of them amaze, but Chaeyoung was more amazed because she didn’t expect Mina to be in their backyard, or she’s just hallucinating and probably feeling sleepy already because she’s seeing things.

 

“Open your door up. Let’s talk. It’s also a bit breezy here and I didn’t bring my coat”

 

“Wait. You’re really here? Am I not just seeing things?”

 

“Chaeyoung, I’m getting cold here. I’ll explain later. Just let me enter your house and don’t let Auntie and Uncle know I’m here”

 

It was like yesterday when Mina was in Chaeyoung’s own bedroom and now she doesn’t feel the familiar warmth, yet and she guesses it’s because the wall she built around her when she’s supposed not to build any because it’s her girlfriend and therefore she should always be comfortable with her.

 

“Y-you can just sit there in my bed, Mina. I’ll just get a cup of coffee”

 

“Chaeyoung, stay”

 

One word. Stay. Yet it already made Chaeyoung feel like she wants to cry a bucket. It totally means different to her because no matter how hard she tries to stay, no matter how much she wants to stay, she just can’t.

 

“Mina, I’m really sorry about not talking to you properly in the past months. I’ve been dealing with some personal stuff alone and I don’t want you to worry about me. I’m sorry I was so selfish and not even thinking about my own girlfriend who needs to know about my condition.”

 

The atmosphere was serious and even gets colder, even if the air conditioner was turned off already and all the windows in the room are closed and the only source of air is the ceiling fan. Mina can feel something bad is about to happen with the way her heart keeps pounding so fast and her hands trembling. She shouldn’t supposed to feel anything negative because she wants to reconcile with her girlfriend, but why does she feel so bad about what is about to unfold?

 

“I have leukemia, Mina. When Mom and Dad dropped me off to the hospital months ago, the doctor said that we already found it out late, and therefore just need to be careful to at least prolong my life, even if it will just extend for a few days or a week.”

 

“Chaeyoung”

 

There’s tears gradually falling down from Mina’s eyes and she instantly hugged her girlfriend, so tight, she doesn’t want to let go of her anymore.

 

“Chaeyoung, I want to know why you decided not to tell me about your condition when I should be with you all throughout your battle. You shouldn’t fight this alone because you have me. You know that too well, right? I want to know your reason, I badly want to know why you keep on keeping distance between us when we’re already in a relationship, but I tried to understand. I now understand your reason and now I’m here once again, I will never leave your side, Chaeyoung”

 

Chaeyoung truly melted in Mina’s arms and her girlfriend’s words certainly made a tug at her heart, but she’s just relieved now that she already didn’t have to hide anything from her and keep some distance because she definitely missed her girlfriend’s warmth and she will cherish every bit of it as she knows it will last in the next few months.

 

“I’ll be with you all throughout your battle, love. So hang in there, okay? We’ll fight in this together. You always have me”

 

It was like a pill that is so hard to swallow, but just like that, Mina accepted their fate. They have known each other for more than two decades already and if the Gods decided to let the two of them meet in just that short span of time, then she will gradually accept, even if she needs to get in a lot of torture and pain.

 

That night, when Chaeyoung slept so comfortably on Mina’s chest and savoring her warmth, cherishing her presence, her girlfriend was busy thinking of how can she make Chaeyoung’s remaining days, worth it and happy. She totally doesn’t want to be separated from her anymore as she can declare that it was one of the worst days she had in her whole life as Chaeyoung is the one who makes every day special and colorful for her.

 

She tried to think what she could do so Chaeyoung can stay longer by her side, not because she is being selfish and wants the girl to suffer more with her condition, but because she has hope and a strong faith that she will recover and she will surpass the hardship because she believes in Chaeyoung, she believes in the strong girl who wants to keep on living for herself and for her loved ones.

 

When Mina’s Mom informed her that Chaeyoung’s eventually in a critical condition, she already decided to risk everything and not just hardly pray to the Gods and have faith on her girlfriend.

 

That night when she visited Chaeyoung for the first time at the hospital and saw that there are way too many cords connected in her body and the machine is the only thing that helps her breathe and keep on living, she dreamt of her Grandmother and reminded her of the legend of the paper cranes she once told the both of them when they were still in kids.

 

She instantly asked for materials to her parents, only to stare at nothingness until she cried the whole night because she actually forgot how to make one.

 

Even if she tried so hard to remember how to make a paper crane, even with the tutorial online, her hands just can’t make the right paper crane that they were told by her grandmother.

 

It made her frustrated because she’s a Japanese, yet she doesn’t even know how to make one, forgot how to make one. She wants to make a thousand paper cranes for the Gods to grant her wish and prayer because she’s already desperate for her girlfriend to recover as the last time they talked was also the time where they reconciled.

 

It was a hard journey and a hard 2 months for Mina while she waits for Chaeyoung to wake up and for her psychomotor response to at least have a development as she eventually make some paper cranes tied in strings.

 

Exactly 78 days after Mina finished a thousand paper cranes and when she eventually finished her 1000th paper crane, she excitedly runs to the hospital to show Chaeyoung that she finally finished a thousand and not just a hundred, just like what they did when they were kids.

 

There was an unexplainable happiness on Mina’s face when she holds her phone with a photo of the paper cranes she made in Chaeyoung’s bedroom with her parents’ permission. Her determination to make a lot was sturdy, let alone the strength she keeps on receiving because she strongly believes that the Gods will grant her wish, just like what the legend says, and she will have her healing in that challenging time.

 

She was already on her way to Chaeyoung’s private room where she stays for the meantime, when she noticed that there is already no one there, even her belongings and the things she put up on display for her girlfriend to see once she wakes up.

 

It made her nervous because she might mistook the room number, but she doubts because she always visits the same room number and Chaeyoung’s parents will inform her right away if they change rooms already. So, she tried to contact the two of them only to bump into them near the emergency room when she was walking down the hallway to find her girlfriend’s room.

 

“Mina”

 

“Uncle? What happened? Where’s Chaeyoung? I was just about to show her that I eventually finished a thousand paper cranes and wished for her recovery. Did she already transferred to a normal room? Did she made development already?”

 

She asked enthusiastically and waits for any of them to answer her because she has a feeling that, that might be the case, her thousand paper cranes probably effective.

 

“Mina, sweetie”

 

Chaeyoung’s Mom hold both of her hands as there are tears falling down her face. Mina doesn’t want what she is about to hear, considering how the old woman holds her hands tightly, but she needs to know, she wants to know, even if she’s sure that it will break her, no matter what news it is.

 

“Mina, Chaeyoung can’t wait for you to come back already.”

 

She tried to process what the girl’s Mom means with those words because she’s surely confused and wants some clarification as she might pass out any moment now.

 

“Chaeyoung’s gone now, Mina”

 

It was yet the queue for Mina’s world to collapse and to stop moving. She can only hear a sound of a heartbeat, slower than usual, until the life machine beeps, as if to show her how Chaeyoung let go of everything and ended her suffering. It was a nightmare.

 

She stopped breathing for a moment before she felt a warm pair of arms in her body, but not as warm as Chaeyoung’s. That’s when everything just came back to her senses, that her girlfriend is indeed gone, that Chaeyoung indeed passed away just moments ago and she didn’t have the chance to say her final goodbye to her girlfriend, nor say how much she loves the girl and she’s proud of her for fighting until the end.

 

Her tears fell nonstop and her heart aches so bad. She was so eager to make a thousand paper cranes, deeply hoping for Chaeyoung to stay by her side forever and for them to be together for a long time, yet there’s nothing really happened, even if she make a lot more of it because Chaeyoung was gone already.

 

She stares at the paper crane she has in her hand, besides her phone, and was reminded by the words of her grandmother when she was still a kid while the old woman was helping her to finish a hundred.

 

“Mina, a paper crane does not just symbolize love and hope, as well as peace and healing, but it can also mean acceptance of death. You should also remember that as you may encounter that in the future, okay? When that happens, take a deep breath, and remember that everything happens for a reason. You’re a brave girl, Mina, you can surpass any circumstances, you will have in your life, I believe in you”

 

It suddenly struck her. Her reason why she made a thousand paper cranes, even if she had a struggle in doing so because she already forgot how to and was just forced to do so, is not mainly because she wants her girlfriend to recover and save her from her illness, but rather to accept Chaeyoung’s death and all the pain that comes with it.

 

In this universe, Mina once again didn’t end up with Chaeyoung.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Just a TMI for this special part:

Kita Kita (Filipino movie) made me finally write about this prompt that I have for over half a year already, inspired by a Japanese short film I watched a long time ago. Thought that this fits in this compilation, so I added it. I hope that you enjoyed reading!