Closer

The Last Wish

Sighing as Fluke sat on one of the hospital benches with his friend beside him. They were at the hospital for a physical examination in which their teacher asked them to submit. Their school clinic were not accepting examinations for the students for the time being, the reason why they needed to go to a hospital for it.

“I really don’t understand why we need to take this every year.” Fluke complained. “Our plan was ruined because of this.”

His friend, Pine, laughed at him and said. “Come on, it’s okay. It’s not like we can’t go to the cinemas after this.”

“Pine, how come you’re so calm about this? There are lots of people; I don’t think we can make it today.”

“Of course we can. The next show will start in 4 hours. I bet we’re already done here before its starts.”

“I hope so. I really want to watch that movie today.”

After almost an hour of waiting, it was already Fluke and Pine’s turn. Pine was the one who get examined first before followed by Fluke. When it was already the examination for their heart and lungs, Pine and Fluke entered a doctor’s office together and Fluke saw someone that he had seen before. It was the guy who took his coffee at the café on the other day.

“Oh? You’re the coffee guy.” The doctor said after lifting his head and saw Fluke entering his office.

“Coffee guy?” Pine mumbled, looking at Fluke and to the doctor. “You know each other?”

“He was the one that I told you, Pine. The one who tried to steal my coffee.”

After learning that information from Fluke, Pine’s mouth formed into an o then she turned to look at the doctor.

“Hey~ I didn’t steal. It was just a mistake. I thought it was my order.”

“You’re a doctor, but you don’t know how to read? My name was clearly written on the cup.”

The tension between the two was starting to build up and Pine knew that she needed to interfere for these two people to stop. And so she sat on a chair, in front of the doctor’s table while saying. “Why don’t we start examination, right? Doctor…” Pine looked at the name plate of the doctor that was pinned on his lab coat. “Doctor Ohm? Oh, right. Let’s start the examination Doctor Ohm.”

Pine placed his medical record on Ohm’s desk. Ohm took it and read Pine’s name before putting it back on the desk. Ohm glanced at Fluke for a while, like he’s asking permission from him whether to start the examination or not. But Fluke rolled his eyes and looked away. Ohm smirked and stood up from his seat, walking towards Pine for him to check her heartbeat.

“Okay, Miss Pine…” Ohm said while taking his stethoscope and ready to put it on his ears when Fluke interrupted.

“You’re a resident?” Fluke asked. He was looking at Ohm’s white gown which was short unlike the other doctors.

“Yes, I am. Is there any problem?”

“Yes, there is. We don’t want a resident to do our examination.”

“Well, I’m sorry to say this but there are no other doctors who are assigned for this. It’s only me.”

“I’m sorry to say this also, but we can’t trust you.”

“I trust him!” Pine declared in which she received a glare from her friend.

“Pine!”

“Come on, it’s not like we’re going to have an operation or surgery, Fluke. It’s just a physical examination. I’m sure he can do that.”

Fluke paused for a moment as he tried to think of what Pine said. It’s not like he didn’t trust resident doctors. He knew that they were good enough to this kind of thing. It’s just that he doesn’t trust that guy, Doctor Ohm. Fluke just simply hated him, that’s it. But if he’s going to refuse to do the examination then he needed to go to the other hospital which was almost an hour from where he was now.

“If you really don’t trust me, then you can…”

“Forget about it.” He cut Ohm’s statement. “Just go on with it.”

Ohm and Pine glanced at each other and smiled as they both defeated Fluke. Ohm went on with the examination with Pine while Fluke was sitting at a corner, waiting for his turn. When it was Fluke’s turn, he stood up and sat on the chair where Pine was once seated. In front of him was Ohm, waiting for him to seat on the chair. With a glare, Fluke placed his record on the desk and sat on the chair facing Ohm.

“Okay, let me listen to your heart…” Ohm paused for a while and glanced at Fluke’s record to check the name of the boy who’s sitting in front of him. “Fluke.”

Fluke didn’t say anything and just obliged. He followed everything that Ohm said, when he’s asked to hold his breath and to breathe deeply, he followed it as well. He was such an obedient patient. Ohm continued checking on Fluke when he heard a knock. The door then suddenly opened and Mew entered Ohm’s room with his eyes glued on the paper that he was holding.

“Ohm, can you hand me the---“

“P’Mew?”

Upon hearing his name, Mew shifted his gaze from the paper that he was holding to the person who called his name. And he was surprised to see Fluke, his fiancée’s younger brother. “Fluke?” He called as well. He took a glance at Ohm whose brows were furrowed before he continued. “What are you doing here? Are you sick?”

“Oh! No, I’m not sick P’Mew. I’m just here for a checkup. Our school asked us to submit our updated medical records.”

“Ohh, I see. Did you come here alone?”

“No, I am with my friend.” Fluke pointed at Pine who was sitting at a corner. Mew’s gaze followed where Fluke was pointing and saw a cute girl sitting. Pine smiled at him and bowed while Mew did the same thing as well.

“Wait, do you guys know each other?” Ohm finally had the chance to ask after being so puzzled at the two.

 

 

 

“WHAT?!” Ohm exclaimed.

To explain everything to them, Mew invited Fluke, Ohm, and Pine for a lunch in which he also explained why and how did he know Fluke. And it made Ohm and Pine surprised at what they heard from Mew and Fluke.

“Don’t shout.” Mew annoyingly said after the people at the restaurant looked at their direction.

“You’re getting married, bro. How do you expect me to react?”

“Yes, even me. I was shocked. So, you’re going to marry with P’Gulf?” Pine asked.

“Well, yeah. You can say it again. I… don’t have any choice actually.”

“Yah~ P’Mew, what kind of respond was that?” Fluke said.

“Hey kid, my cousin was forced to marry your brother. Do you expect him to be happy about it?”

Fluke sent Ohm a death glare not only for calling him a kid, but also for looking down at his brother.

“Ohm, that’s enough.”

“Right, you’ve been treating my friend so bad ever since you met him.” Pine added.

“Right!” Mew exclaimed when he suddenly remembered that he wanted to ask on how Om and Fluke knew each other. “How did you two know each other by the way?”

“Oh, about that, I…” Ohm stuttered as he tried to explain it to his cousin.

“He stole my cup of coffee.” Fluke jumped in.

“Hey! I didn’t.”

“Yes, you did.”

“I didn’t.”

“I told you it was mine, but you kept insisting it was yours and you wouldn’t even give me my coffee.”

“I thought it was mine because we ordered the same thing. And also, I was in a hurry at that time, that’s why.”

While Fluke and Ohm were busy bickering at each other, Pine and Mew were just staring at the two. Pine was smiling the whole time as she found the two looking so cute even though they were fighting.

“You guys are so cute.”

Mew glanced at Pine with a smirk. “I agree. You look like an old married couple fighting over a small thing.”

Fluke plastered a look of disgust on his face after hearing what Pine and Mew said.

“Hey! And do you ever think that I will date someone like you? Huh! Never!”

The two continued bickering at each other when Mew’s phone beeped. He grabbed his phone from his pocket and checked it. The message was from his supervisor. Mew excused himself from the three as he couldn’t finish his break time anymore because he was called for an emergency. Mew left Pine and Fluke to Ohm and told Ohm to stop teasing his future brother in law.

 

 

 

Gulf and Mew's approval about the marriage was still unreal to their parents. They weren't disappointed with their sons' decision. In fact, both Mew and Gulf's mothers were happy and excited. The two contacted each other and met to talk about the preparation of their sons’ wedding.

"Please come in." Mew's mother said, welcoming the Traipipattanapong family after she and her husband invited them to come at their house.

Gulf and his family entered the Jongcheveevat's mansion, they were all amazed at how big their house was. They were indeed a wealthy family. Gulf's family continued to walk, following Mew's mother until they reached the big living room where Mew's father was sitting on one of the couches with a magazine on his hand.

"Oh, you're here. Welcome! Please have a seat." Mr. Ford, Mew’s father, said as his wife headed to the kitchen to get some refreshments for their visitors.

They obliged and sat on a big couch across Mew's father. Not long after that, Mew's mother and Eye came while bringing bowls of cookies and a tray of cupcakes. Behind her was Gulf's fiancée, Mew, who's walking like a model with his left hand slid in his pocket.

Gulf snorted after seeing Mew and mentally whispered. "Arrogant."

"My daughter and I prepared some sweets for you. Don't be shy and have some." Said Mew's mother with a big smile on her face as she sat on the couch beside her husband.

As soon as Mew sat on the couch which was place in between the two families, his eyes went straight to Gulf, staring his future wife with judgment. The two exchanged gazes before Gulf rolled his eyes at Mew. Seeing that Gulf rolled his eyes at him, Mew snorted then shook his head afterwards.

Eye lifted the bowl of cookies and offered it to Gulf and his family. "You can have a try."

They all thanked Eye before taking a bite of their cookies. As soon as they tasted the cookies, a sweet smiled came across their faces. Then Fluke cheerfully showered Eye with compliments.

"Wow~ this cookie is actually good!" Fluke happily commented and took more bites of the cookies.

"Really?" Eye happily exclaimed. "You can have some more if you want. We actually made a lot."

While Gulf's family was enjoying the cookies, Gulf was making a small mess. He took only small bites of the cookie then cookie crumbs started falling on his jeans.

"Clumsy." Mew murmured to himself, but it was loud enough for his sister to hear as he was sitting on the couch beside Eye. His sister gave him a nudge and shook her head, cueing her brother to shut up and behave.

"By the way, Ms. Praew, thank you for accepting my invitation." Mew's mother said.

"Yes, you may be busy with your business or other things, but you're here with your family just to see us." Her husband added.

"It's okay." Gulf's mother smiled, feeling overwhelmed at Mew’s parents who are showing interest to meet them. "Our sons are set to get married, so it will be nice for us to get to know each other also."

"I was thinking the same thing."

"Then I guess, our minds think the same way."

Mew and Gulf's mother both chuckled then Mew's mother said. "So, let's start planning our sons’ wedding and the reception?"

The two stared at each other before letting out a grin on their faces. They excitedly nodded their heads and started opening their suggestions for the upcoming wedding. Then, Mew suddenly spoke. "Reception?"

"Is this really a big wedding?" Gulf added as well.

"Mew, it is part of the wedding." Mew's father jumped in.

"But I don't want a reception." Mew plainly said, disagreeing to whatever his parents are planning.

"And I don't want a ceremony." Gulf blurted out as well.

"W-what kind of a wedding is that if there's no ceremony?" Gulf's mother confusedly looked at her son as she mumbled it.

"All we need is to have our marriage contract, wear our wedding ring, and that's it. It's possible even without a ceremony, right?" Gulf proudly declared, and then he looked at everyone with eyebrows raised, looking for someone who would agree with him. But, no one did except for Mew.

“I agree with him.”

"Well, these boys need an extensive and proper wedding orientation." Mew's father stated. "You can do that, honey, you and Mrs. Praew." He lightly tapped his wife's back, as if he's cheering his wife. "Mr. Jao, let's have a glass of wine at the garden."

"Yeah, surely, that would be really great." Gulf's father agreed right away, leaving his son to his wife.

With only Fluke and Eye left at the living room with their mothers and brothers, Eye called Fluke's name all of a sudden. "Fluke~ hmm, do you want to go around the house? I can give you a tour." Eye happily offered with her brows jutting towards their mothers’ direction, as if she's cueing Fluke to leave their brothers with their moms.

Gladly, Fluke got what was Eye trying to say and he nodded his head with a wide smile. He tried to act like everything was just fine. "Okay, that sounds fun!"

Fluke and Eye agreed to leave their brother with their moms, for them to have a serious talk about the said wedding. It was something that needed to be considered for a long time since getting married is a once in a life time moment.

 

 

 

 

 

The Jongcheveevat's mansion was unbelievably huge. After Eye took Fluke away, she brought him into their arcade room. When they both entered the room, Fluke was amazed at those game machines that he only saw in the malls.

"Wow, you have an arcade room?" Fluke asked in awe.

"Yeah, it's not that big though and they were only a few games that you can play." Eye humbly said.

"The fact that you have an arcade room in your house is already amazing though."

"Back then, whenever we went to the mall, my brother and I would stay at the arcade center for hours. We enjoyed playing there so much that we didn't want to go home anymore."

"So... that's how this arcade room was built?"

"Yeah!" Eye walked towards a basketball game machine. She started picking up a ball and tried to shoot it, but she missed it. "My brother and I used to play here. But when he left going abroad, I rarely come in this room."

"Why did he leave?"

"It’s because of our grandmother. We were close with our grandma before she passed away. My brother was so sad and he wanted to forget about what happened. He couldn't do it if he stayed here, so my parents sent him abroad and let him live there with my aunt." Eye explained. "He just got back actually. He studied there and came back to do his residency here."

"He's a doctor?"

"Yes, he is."

"You're a family of doctors."

"Oh, no~ my mom was a pharmacist while my dad runs a pharmaceutical company. My brother is a resident doctor and I am studying business in university. So we're not all doctors, only my brother."

"Ohh~ I see."

"My cousin. His parents are doctors as well as him. Now, he's working at their hospital together with my brother."

"Your relatives are all professionals."

"Only them, but not me." She chuckled. Eye picked up another ball and handed it to Fluke.

Fluke then furrowed his brows. What Eye said remained in Fluke’s mind and he suddenly remembered something. He then looked at Eye with a puzzled look on his face. “Eye, you said your cousin is a doctor, right?”

Eye nodded her head as she said. “Yes, he is. Why?”

“Perhaps, are you talking about Ohm?”

“Oh!” Eye was quite surprised that Fluke knew her cousin, Ohm. “How did you know him?”

Thinking about Ohm made Fluke to roll his eyes. He really hated Ohm’s guts and even hearing the doctor’s name made him want to start cursing out the older. “I just randomly met him at a coffee shop and he tried to get my coffee thinking that it was him.”

“Ohhh~”

“You know I talked to him in a nice way, telling him that it was my drink. But he strongly defended himself when my name was clearly written on the cup that he was holding.” Fluke vented out his anger while remembering his encounter with Ohm.

While listening at Fluke, Eye was just holding out her laughter. As soon as Fluke was done venting out, she burst out laughing at Fluke which made him to make a pout after looking at Eye. “Hey~” He lightly nudge Eye with his arms.

“Sorry.” Chuckling as she said. “You’re so cute you know.”

“I’m not~”

“Yes you are!” She insisted. Then she tapped Fluke’s shoulder, trying to comfort him. “My cousin is really like that. When he thinks that something was owned by him, he would really fight for it. But, of course, he’s a good person.”

“Good person? Good?” Fluke sarcastically repeated the word that Eye used to describe her cousin. Then he shook his head, strongly disagreeing at what Eye said. “No, he’s not good at all.”

“Okay okay, calm down.” She chuckled. "So, shall we play?" Eye grabbed one ball and lifted it, showing it to Fluke like she was challenging him for a game.

“Fine.” Fluke answered then let out a deep sigh afterwards. "You have just missed that ball a while ago. Are you sure you’re asking me for a game?"

"Yeah, sure! Actually, that was just a warm up. So, wanna play?"

"Sounds fun. Okay!"

Eye and Fluke started playing the basketball game at the arcade room. They had fun playing different kinds of games. They went from one game to another, and that continued until the two got exhausted from playing.

 

 

A bottle of red wine was served in front of Mew and Gulf's father. The two were at the garden after escaping from their wives and sons who’s discussing about the wedding. Mew's father opened the bottle of wine and poured it in the glasses.

Gulf's father gladly took the glass that was placed in front of him. Mew's father held the glass up for a toast. Gulf’s father obliged and raised his glass as well. The two took a sip of their red wine, as their eyes wandered around the beautiful garden in front of them.

Thinking about the wedding, Mew's father turned to look at Jao and said. "Mr. Traipi---"

"Oh no, just call me Jao. It's fine." Gulf father insisted.

With a smile, Mew's father nodded his head. "Okay! Then… just call me Ford as well.”

“So… Jao, I wanted to ask on how you agreed about this whole thing."

Jao didn't have to clarify about what Mew's father mean. The question was just clearly about the marriage of their sons. "Honestly, I was a bit hesitant to let my son go for this. But, I respect my mother-in-law so much. If this is her plan for my son, then I know she has reasons behind it. How about you? Do you... perhaps... oppose about this?"

"No. Not actually." Ford shook his head. "I am actually thankful knowing that my son is getting married. I've never thought that I would be able to witness him marrying someone. Mew... he has shut his doors from this world. He left Thailand to forget about his grandmother's death. He focused on studying. He didn't spare any time for himself to have fun and relax. I thought he would be all alone, but, now that he's getting married I feel at ease."

But what Mew's father said made Jao feel skeptical. He clearly remembered that his son agreed to it because of her grandmother, but Gulf wasn't planning to stay in that marriage for a long time. His son already had plans to divorce Mew after a year.

"In the will, Mew and Gulf can have a divorce if their marriage doesn't work. What if, one of them will choose to get out of their marriage?"

"Well, whether it's Mew or Gulf chooses to get a divorce, it's not a problem. Both of them have the right to choose the person they want to be with. All I want is for my son to realize that having someone beside him is better than being alone. And I know that he’ll realize that one in a span of year with Gulf."

Jao appreciated Ford's level of understanding towards his son. He admired how Ford, accepted everything without showing any selfishness and judgement. "You're a great father to Mew."

"All fathers are great." Ford raises his glass once again, and Jao gladly obliged and had a toast with him.

 

 

‘Pick him up at his workplace after your shift.’

That’s what Mew’s mother told him that morning before he left their house for work. After debating with his parents, especially to his mom, he finally accepted his defeat and followed what his mother said. Although he didn’t really care about the wedding preparation, his mother was actually right, that it was his wedding and it’s once in a lifetime event so he needed to at least be part of the preparation.

Because of that, he was successfully persuaded by his mom to meet his fiancée, Gulf. Specifically, he needed to wait right in front of Gulf’s workplace. Just a few minutes after he arrived there, Gulf came out with his colleagues. Mew hesitated to approach Gulf at first, but when Gulf’s colleagues’ left him at the entrance, that’s when Mew started to make a move. With his car keys on his hand, he started walking towards Gulf.

As Mew was walking, Gulf suddenly turned his head towards Mew’s direction and saw Mew approaching him. Their eyes met, but Gulf immediately rolled his eyes after seeing the man that almost killed him on the day that their family had a meeting.

“My mom asked me to pick you up, Mr. Bunger some.” Mew said as soon as he awkwardly stood up in front of Gulf.

Gulf glared at Mew for calling him with such a nick name. “My mom told me as well, Doctor Arrogant.”
Smirking as Gulf fought him back with also a nick name, he turned around and headed to his car and said. “I’m hungry. Let’s have a dinner first.”

“I’m not hungry and I’m full already.” Gulf insisted with a lie as he followed Mew from behind. “Let’s get straight to the boutique. I don’t want to be with you for how many hours.”

When Mew reached his car, he looked at Gulf once again. “But I’m hungry. It’s either you will sit at the restaurant and watch me eating or… you’ll eat again.” That’s the only thing he said before hopping inside his car.

Gulf was trying to stop himself from exploding. He took a deep breath and released it afterwards, calming himself before he hopped inside the car, at the back seat.

When Gulf was already inside, he saw Mew staring at him through the mirror. And Mew’s face didn’t look like he was pleasant about something and it made Gulf to drop a question. “Why are you giving me that kind of look?”

“Why are you sitting there? You should sit here, the passenger seat.”

“Ohh~ But I don’t want to be near you.”

“My parents would say that I bullied you and let you sit there when they check my black box.”

“That’s great! You’re actually bullying me since the first day we met.”

“Come on, transfer here.”

“No.”

“If not, then we will not go anywhere and just stay here.”

“Okay. If you don’t start driving, then I’ll get out from this car and ride a bus going to the boutique.”

The older rolled his eyes as he looked away from his fiancée who’s sitting at the back seat. Instead of responding, Mew just started the engine which made Gulf smiled in triumph, thinking that he finally won against Mew. But his smile dropped as soon as Mew started driving. The older drove in a high speed, like they were joining a car racing. Mew rammed his car on the streets, overtaking other vehicles as they headed to a restaurant where he wanted to have their dinner.

With that current speed, Gulf reaches up and wraps his fingers around that handlebar above the door to help him stay in his seat. “Hey! Do you want to die?!” When Mew didn’t give him a reply, he continued ranting from the backseat. “If you want, then do it alone! I still want to live! Hey! Doctor Arrogant, listen!”

As soon as they got at their destination, Mew then turned to a corner all of a sudden and it made Gulf to scream and shut his eyes close. When the older heard the younger screaming, he smirked and continued to speed up the car. Even though Gulf was shouting at the back seat, Mew didn’t bother himself to care about and just drive with the current speed until they arrived at their destination.

 

 

The two arrived at an Italian restaurant where Mew ended up ordering two rose shrimp pastas for them when the younger kept on saying no and insisted to have only just a cup of water. Gulf was in a bad mood after what Mew did. While Gulf was trying to calm himself by drinking a glass of water as they waited for their food to be served. Mew, on the other hand, kept on glancing at the younger with an evil smile on his face. He didn’t feel bad for what he did to the younger and he’s even happy seeing Gulf at that state.

Every time Gulf caught him with that kind of look, Gulf would only just roll his eyes and diverted his attention to the other side of the restaurant. When the food was served, he focused his attention on the food and completely ignored Mew. While eating, Mew tried calling his attention and asked him why he was so engrossed with the food in front of them when Gulf told him that he was full already and didn’t want to eat. Not really wanting to talk to Mew, Gulf completely ignored Mew and just continued enjoying his food.

As soon as they have finished their food, Gulf insisted on paying his own meal. But Mew wouldn’t allow him, telling him that he should be the one who’s paying it since he was the one who wished to have dinner first. Gulf dropped the idea of arguing with Mew and just let the older pay. When everything was settled, Gulf wasted no time as he stood up from their table right away. He immediately went outside while Mew calmly followed him. Across the Italian restaurant was the wedding boutique that their mothers asked them to visit. Without uttering any words, Gulf stomped his feet as he crossed the street going to the boutique. But being a clumsy one, Gulf didn’t bother to look at the streets and just focused his attention to the boutique across him. He was walking like he’s the only person living in that city. He didn’t notice that there was a car speeding up going to his direction.

Mew, who was walking behind him, was fast enough to grabbed Gulf’s arm and pulled the younger towards him. Mew tightly held Gulf in his arms as he angrily gazed at the car who almost hit Gulf. On the other hand, Gulf was greatly surprised at what happened. His eyes widened while he was trying to process what was just happened. He was resting his head on Mew’s chest while Mew’s arms were still tightly wrapped around him. Gulf then slowly looked up only to see an angry look on Mew’s face. But when Mew shifted his gaze to the younger, his looked completely changed from anger to a worried look.
“Are you okay?” Mew asked with his soft voice.
Of course, Gulf didn’t miss to see that drastic changed on Mew’s face and he unknowingly nodded his head as a response. Mew held Gulf as he settled himself. The anger that Gulf felt a while ago, suddenly disappeared and he felt so delicate. Like he needed someone to hold and protect him. Not really wanting to lower his guard against him, Gulf pushed Mew all of a sudden. He pushed the older away from him.

“I’m fine.” Gulf claimed, avoiding Mew’s gaze. “Let’s… let’s head to the boutique now.”

Mew could only just purse his lips and shook his head then he said. “No thank you?”

Gulf’s face furrowed then he forcibly said. “Thanks.”

The younger left right away as he crossed the road. And this time, he was careful and checked if they were no cars heading to his direction before he completely crossed the road. Leaving Mew from behind, standing while staring at him.

“Thanks? That’s it?” Mew murmured to himself before following the younger to the boutique.