It's a Yes

The Last Wish

The meeting between the two families was set at 6 in the evening, but Gulf was held at the office for a few more minutes because of some paperwork. His shift ended at 5 but there was a problem at the company that he needed to stay there and help the regular employees fixed everything.

"Nong, your shift ends at 5, you should be leaving the office at this time." Stated by one of the team leaders in his department, after seeing Gulf stayed at the office beyond his shift.

"It's okay. I noticed that they needed a little help so I decided to stay for a bit."

"Thank you for that, Nong Gulf. We've slowly managed the problem already, so you can continue doing that paperwork tomorrow. It's just fine."

Gulf wanted to insist and tell the team leader that he would just finish it within the day, but he remembered that he has an appointment at 6. He looked at his wristwatch and saw that he has only a few minutes left before the meeting would start. "Okay, Miss Aom. I will just continue this one tomorrow. I actually have an important appointment at 6."

"Sorry for bothering you, Nong." She glanced at the clock in their office only to find that it almost time for Gulf's said appointment. "Now leave, you're going to miss that appointment if you don't move now. Just leave everything on your desk."

"Yes, thank you, Miss Aom." Gulf hastily grabbed his stuff and quickly left the office so that he could still arrive at the restaurant on time.

 

 

 

"Aw! Why are you still here? I thought you'll have dinner with your parents." Ohm surprisingly asked after he found Mew still sitting at his table when the older's shift was over a few minutes ago.

"Yes, I'll be meeting them. I've just finished attending my last outpatient."

"You're really quite popular in here that's why you have lots of patients."

"I wish I could give them to you." Mew stood up from his seat after finally checking everything. He removed his long gown and hanged it.

"Oh no, please. I have my own list of patients also."

"You do? You're just doing physical examination for now."

"Don't! Just don't underestimate my job, P'Mew. You just don't know how tired I am while doing this examination. I know it's not that so much of work compared to you, but the long list of patients for a day is crazy."

"I see. I won't talk anymore." Mew snorted.

Listening to his cousin letting out his frustration everyday was already part of Mew's daily routine. Before leaving the hospital, Ohm always appeared in his office and start ranting about his daily activities. "You don't really miss a day to come to my office after my shift just to rant about your daily frustrations."

"Oh, really? But I'm here for another reason actually."

"What is it? Faster! Because I'm going to be late now. My mother would yell at me again for being late."

Ohm placed a folder on Mew's table, his face turned into a serious one and said. "A student came for an examination this morning. She'll be coming back tomorrow to get her results. Since this is your field, your supervisor, Doctor Kiet, asked me to give you a copy of her results."

When it's about work, Ohm would turn really serious about it. But while listening at Ohm's statement, Mew sensed that there's a problem about it. He took the folder and opened it.

"She has arrythmia. P'Kiet will talk to you about that. I'll ask her to see you tomorrow as well."

"I see. I'll study this one. Thank you, Ohm. And I... really need to go now."

"Okay! Send my regards to your parents."

"I will. See you tomorrow."

Ohm waved his hand at his cousin who quickly left the office and head out of the hospital right away. Patients and hospital staffs' parking space were different. Once Mew was already at the parking area, he got inside his car and prepared himself to leave.

 

 

Since it was rush hours, Mew unfortunately stuck in traffic. He let out a sigh in frustration. He tried to look around the area if there were some shortcuts going to his destination, and he was lucky enough to see a small alley that could take him out of that traffic.

Mew began to turn heading to that alley and successfully pulled himself out from that traffic. He left the area as he drove on the alley with a high speed.

 

On the other hand, though Gulf was using a motorbike, he took a shortcut going to the restaurant for him not to be late. But just as when he reached an intersection, a car suddenly made a turn to where Gulf was heading.

Thankfully, Gulf was fast enough to avoid colliding with the car. He dodged to the opposite side in which the front wheel of his motorbike hit the road curb and Gulf fell down on the ground with a thud. He granted in pain, and managed to pull himself up. Then he looked at the car that almost hit him and saw that the driver didn't even bother to get off and check him if he was hurt or not.

 

As Mew was speeding up, he turned his car at the corner as he reached an intersection. Because he didn't check the other side of the road, he didn't notice that there was also a motorbike heading to his direction. Mew tried to step on the break to stop the car, but it was already too late. He abruptly closed his eyes and prepared himself for a great impact. But to his surprise, the motorbike didn't collide with his car. Instead, he heard the motorbike crashing on the ground.

"Oyy! Will you please drive slowly? We almost got into an accident because of your recklessness." Gulf angrily said at the driver who just stayed in the car and just looked at him through the window.

"Hey! It's not my fault." Mew strongly insisted. "Are... are you hurt?"

Pursing his lips, Gulf answered. "I stood up with my own feet, that means I'm fine."

"Okay. Drive slowly next time." Mew arrogantly reminded Gulf before he drove away, heading to the restaurant.

"Hey!" Gulf shouted, trying to stop Mew from running away. When the car was already far from him, he sighed and asked himself in confusion. "That's hit and run, right?"

 

 

 

 

"Mom, I will never marry that arrogant guy."

Fluke and their parents stayed silent while sitting at the living room in front of Gulf who declared that he won't be marrying Mew.

“He almost killed me a while ago.”

“It was just an accident. He didn’t mean it. Both of you were in a hurry.” His mom stated, trying to cover up Mew’s recklessness.

Gulf’s face turned serious. "But I want to have my own family. You all know that."

"P'Gulf you're going to become a family when you marry him." Fluke confidently dropped that statement for his brother. Making his brother and their parents to slowly turn their heads and looked at him. "Why? I'm just stating the fact."

"Well, it's true but your brother won’t be persuaded by that." His father said.

Sighed, Gulf's mother looked at him said. "Okay, enough with this. If you don't want, then I'll tell the other family."

"But mom..."

"Fluke... your brother is making a tough decision. Whatever will be, we should accept it. We can't force your brother either."

"But I don’t want to continue grandma's business without doing something for her. This is her wish."

"You can still continue it without making your brother agrees to the marriage."

"I see. Okay." Fluke answered almost in a whisper. Then his face changed, he looked like he was disappointed or something. Gulf, who just stared at his younger brother, never missed that look on Fluke's face.

 

 

 

A consecutive beep from Eye's phone made her to stir from her sleep. She slowly opened her eyes while tapping her hand on her bed, searching for her phone. When she found it, she brought it in front of her face. With her eyes half open, she tried to look at her phone and it's reason for beeping when it's weekend. Her eyes widened when she saw her friends' messages that was flooding her inbox.

Eye suddenly remembered that she's going to meet her friends for their group study session. She immediately jumped out of her bed and went straight to her bathroom.
And after a few minutes, Eye was all set. She was all dressed up the she grabbed her things, and left her room. She took the stairs with heavy steps which caught the attention of his mother and Mew who were eating at the dining area.

"Eye? You're going out?" Her mother asked after seeing her, getting ready to leave while carrying a book.

"Ahm..." She glanced at her older brother whose busy taking bites of his food. The fact that her novel became real and was even happening to her brother suddenly crossed her mind. "Y-yeah~ I'll be meeting my friends. We're going to have our group study session today at the school library."

"Oh, really? Why don't eat first before leaving. Come here, Eye."

"It's okay, mom. I woke up bloated so I don't feel like eating."

"But, you can't study well when you're hungry."

"Eat some fruits and vegetables here. It helps to reduce bloating." Mew jumped in.

"It's okay, Pi. I'm also in a hurry."

"Just eat. I'll give you a ride. Your school is near from the hospital, so I'll just drop you off."

Accepting her defeat against her mother and brother, Eye slowly took steps heading to the dining area. She placed her things on an empty seat beside her and settled herself at the table. Her mom started cutting some fruits for her, to help her ease her puffy stomach. It was just an excuse, she's not feeling bloated. She just wanted to escape being in the same room with her brother. She felt like she's the reason why her brother is suffering.

"Eat this, Eye." Her mom said while putting some fruits on Eye's plate.

Then, her brother also placed a tall and wide water bottle in front of her. "Water helps. So you need to drink lots of water."

She's doomed. She's just fine, but she may be feeling bloated after drinking that whole bottle of water. Forcing a fake smile on her face, Eye looked at her brother and thanked him before eating those fruits cut by her mother.

“Mew…” His mother called while peeling fruits for Eye. “About the meeting last night…”
Mentioning last night’s meeting made Mew to look at his mother. For Eye, hearing about it made her heart to beat fast.

“Your father and talked about it. We both agreed that, we would leave the decision to you. Now that you meet the person that you are about to get married with, we know that you’ve already made your decision for it.”

Eye and their mother looked at Mew. They were staring at each other before Mew looked away and continued eating his food without giving his mother a response. Eye put on a sad look on her face, it’s really her fault and she’s guilty for it. Her brother needed to make a decision whether to follow the will or not. She grabbed her glass of water and sipped it when her brother started to speak.

“I’ll marry him.”

And their eyes widened, especially Eye who got choke with the water that she’s drinking. Mew immediately grabbed some tissue and gave it to his sister.

“Eye, are you okay?” Her mother asked.

But instead of answering her mom, Eye gazed at her brother with confusion and asked him. “Pi, you’re going to marry him? Are you sure?”

Nodding her head as she agreed at what her daughter asked, Mew’s mother added. “Did I hear it right? You’re going to marry him?”

“Oh, I am.” He then stood up from his seat. “I’m leaving now. Eye, if you want to come with me, I’ll wait for you in the car.”

And Mew left, leaving his mother and sister so puzzled at his decision. It’s not that they were against Mew’s decision; they were just shocked at it because they all know that Mew wasn’t that kind of person. He’s someone who’s not fond of tolerating something that he considered nonsense and this whole marriage thing was a nonsense to him just like what he had said when he first heard about it.

 

 

 

The trip going to the university was completely silent. Eye didn’t bother to ask her brother on why he accepted the marriage because that’s what she has written on her novel. On her novel, Mew was playing the role of Yin while Gulf was playing the role of War. Yin accepted the marriage because of his grandmother’s wish and it goes the same for War. Yin and War ended up being together because they wanted to respect the wishes of their grandmothers. There’s no need for Eye to know what Gulf’s answer because she knew his decision very well. Not only that, because she knew how this whole thing would end.

“We’re here.” Mew declared as soon as he stopped his car in front of Eye’s university.

Eye who was spacing out the whole time, jolted when her brother spoke. She looked outside and learned that they had arrived already. “Oh! Thank you, Pi.”

“Are you okay? You look like you’re bothered about something.”

“Ah, it’s nothing Pi. I’m fine.”

“Are you sure?”

“Yeah, I am.”

With a skeptical look, Mew just let it slid as he said. “I see. Okay. When something happens, just call me.”

“I will.” That was Eye’s answer to her brother before she got off from the car.

 

 

 

From the school library, Eye and her friends moved to a cafe after borrowing some books. Becca, Ice, and Samantha were busy reading some books related to their major while Eye could only stare at a corner and let out deep sighs. She was thinking about how her novel became real that it even happened to her brother. Even until that moment, everything was still unreal.

"Eye, will you help me about this one." Samantha stated as she brought the book that she was reading in front of her friend. "I couldn't understand the---" Samantha couldn't finish her statement as soon as she lifted her head and looked at her friend. Eye wasn't listening to her and just glued her eyes at a corner.

With a confused looked on her face, she took a glance at Becca and Ice who were looking already looking at them. She raised her brows at her two friends, like she was asking the two about Eye. Instead of an answer, Becca and Ice shrugged their shoulders as a respond.

Samantha shifted her attention back to Eye, with her lips pursed into a thin line. "Eye?" She tried to call her friend in a soft voice. But Eye acted like her world was closed and she didn't hear someone calling her. "Eye?"

Since Eye wouldn't budge, even when she was being called multiple times. Samantha closed the book that she was holding and slightly slammed it on the table with a thud. And that made Eye to snap out from her thoughts. She then looked at her friend in shock. She also looked around the cafe to see if the people were diverting their attention to them.

"Why did you slam the book on the table?" Eye asked in panic.

"Girl, you weren't listening when I tried to talk to you. I kept on calling, but it seemed like your attention was outside of the earth." Samantha ranted. "Are you okay? What are you thinking?"

After hearing out Samantha, Eye just realized that she was so occupied about her current situation that she forgot that she was with her friends. "Nothing. I was just thinking about something."

"What is it?" Becca asked.

Eye looked at friends. She couldn't keep what happened only to herself. She needed to ask at least some advice from her friends. They might have something that could help her brother come out from her novel. "About the trimurti shrine..."

"Oh? What about it?" Ice asked this time as she listened carefully to her friend.

"Is it really true that it can grant your wish?"

"From what I know, yes, it's true. There are lots of people claiming that they have found their true love after praying at the shrine."

"Right." Ice said, agreeing at Samantha's statement. "I also know a lot of people saying that they got married after praying there."

"One of my mother's friends also prayed there after being single for years. Months later, she found her husband and they got married." Becca added.

"Why? Why are you asking about this?"

"Nothing, Samantha. I.. was just curious." She grabbed the book that Samantha was holding a while ago and started flipping the pages. She suddenly paused and said. “I still have one more question to ask.”

"Do you think... it is possible for a fiction story to turn into reality?" She continued when her friends looked at her and waited for her to ask something.

And her friends furrowed their brows at the unexpected question. Then, Ice sighed and shook her head. "So this is a new plot of your novel, Eye?"

"You're being so serious with your novels lately. Okay, we'll help you about that later. But for now, let's read these books first." Samantha stated after letting out a sigh.

Instead of protesting, Eye just let it slid and started focusing her attention to the book in front of her. No one would believe her even if she's going to tell her friends about it. How come a fiction story would turn into a reality? That's totally unbelievable.

 

 

 

After dinner, Gulf sat in his room, staring at his photo with his grandmother. He remembered what his parents told him, that they were going to leave him the decision whether to accept the marriage or not. After meeting their in-laws and the person that their son was set to marry with, Gulf's parents couldn't think of anything. And so they let Gulf made a decision for himself.

Memories of Gulf and his grandma flashed in his mind as he was trying to make a right decision. He could remember him and his grandmother sitting at their backyard while thinking about him getting married. And his grandmother once told him that she wanted to see Gulf marrying the right person for him. She wanted to see the person who's going to be with Gulf and to give approval for their marriage.

Thinking about it, Gulf thought that maybe his grandmother chose Mew for him it's because she knew that Mew was the right person for him. But of all the people, why it has to be a man?

The thought of him marrying a man, made him let out a deep breath and pursed his lips into a thin line. He leaned his back on his chair while his eyes still glued on his grandma's photo. Gulf reached for it and caressed his grandma's face. He missed her. When she passed away, he promised to himself that he would make his grandmother happy and proud of him even though she wasn't there for him anymore.

 

 

 

Sunday is the day that Gulf's family usually gathers and watches movie together since they don't have work and school that time. Gulf, his brother, and parents gathered in front of their television to watch a movie. It's their way of spending their free time together.

Gulf's mother made popcorn and prepared drinks for the whole family. Going to the cinema would cost a lot for the whole of them. They could afford it anyway but for them, staying at home would be better than going out.

Once everything was settled, they all sat on their places and readied themselves to watch the movie that they've planned to watch. Everything was just fine at first, but not until it was almost the end of the movie. The two main characters got married. This scene made Gulf to remember the current situation he was in. He was also set to get married.

When the movie ended, each of them started getting up from their seats. Gulf knew that it was the right time to let them know about the decision he had made.

"Can I talk to you for a while?" Gulf asked without pointing who he wanted to talk to.

His whole family looked at him. They all glanced at each other before they quietly sat back on their places once again.

"What is it that you want to talk about, Pi?"

"It's..." He mumbled. "I did some consideration last night... and I finally came up with a decision."

"About?" His mother muttered.

"About… grandmother's wish."

Mentioning about the wish made his parents to exchange gazes with a worried look on their faces. They shifted their attention back to their son, wanting to hear about Gulf's decision.

"Grandma... is one of the people that I cherish the most. I haven't done anything for her and she just left like that. So, I'm going to accept the marriage."

As what he expected, his parents were shocked. Not only them, but also his younger brother.

"Wait, what? You will?"

"Yes, mom."

"Son, if you're not sure about this, it's totally fine if you say no. I know your grandma can understand."

"This is not just a simple thing, Gulf. You're going to marry a man, not a woman." His father added. "Marriage is not like what you think it is, especially that you're going to be with a man."

"I know, dad." He answered. "And besides, if this marriage won't work then we can get a divorce. It's on the will. That's the only option we have."

His parents wasn't able to respond at Gulf's decision, even his younger brother. The last time they checked, Gulf strongly insisted not to marry Mew. But then, in just 24 hours, his mind suddenly changed and accepted the marriage.