Prologue

The Last Wish

In 1940, there were two baby girls who were born in the same year, same town, but different months. One grew up in an upper class family while the other one grew up in an ordinary family. As time passedby, two girls grew into beautiful young ladies, but one of them felt empty deep inside.

Nittaya Suchinda, although she grew up in a wealthy family, she wasn't happy at all. Her family was so busy maintaining their status in the society. While Nittaya was living an uninteresting life, Pranee Natanarak, on the other hand, was a cheerful girl. Her family was once in a middle class status. They owned a shoe factory, but because of a fire incident, the future of their family was burned down together with their factory. Despite of what happened, her family stayed positive and continued living their life as ordinary people.

The money that Pranee's parents saved, was used in sending her to school. They worked hard for them to be able to send their one and only daughter to a university in their town. Unlike the other towns, their town strongly discourage the discrimination of family statuses. Whether you're living a wealthy life or not, people must respect one another.

 

 

Nittaya and Pranee's lives changed when the two girls happened to run to each other. It was when Nittaya ran away from their house after she was scolded by her parents when they've found out that she has been skipping from her classes even if she was homeschooled by her parents.

She kept on crying while running until she accidentally stumbled her foot on a rock. She fell on the ground, scratching her knee and elbow. At that time, Pranee was heading back home from school when she heard someone crying. Out of curiosity, she followed the sound of the cry then she saw a girl sitting on the ground, crying while holding her knee.

Pranee approached the girl which turned out to be Nittaya and just by looking at the girl's clothes, Pranee could tell that she's from a wealthy family. But their different status in the society didn't stop her from helping Nittaya. Pranee helped her stood up from the ground and brought her to their house where Pranee's parents treated Nittaya's wounds, giving her the care that she'd always asked for her parents to give.

Staying at Pranee's house made her witness how Pranee was so lucky to have such wonderful parents. They didn't have a big house like her, househelpers, luxurious cars, jewelries, and furniture, but Pranee has something that she never had. A happy family. For her, their wealth was just nothing. All she wanted was her parents to have time for her.

 

 

Heavy rain poured in the midst of their dinner, Pranee's parents had offered to send Nittaya back home. But since the unexpected rain poured, Nittaya insisted to let her stay with them for the night. They were glad to see Nittaya, a girl from the upper class family, showed interest in staying at their house despite of their difference in life.

Nittaya made sure that it's okay for her to sleep on the couch or even on the floor with or without a matress, it's not really a big thing to her. But they all strongly disagreed. Pranee offered her bed to Nittaya and after persuading the young girl, Nittaya finally agreed to sleep on Pranee's bed but she insisted that Pranee should sleep together with her on the bed.

They both settled themselves on the bed afterwards. But the girls were unable to close their eyes and sleep. So both Pranee and Nittaya decided to use the opportunity to talk and get to know each other. They stayed awake until late at night, talking about a lot of things. Nittaya expressed her jealousy over Pranee's loving parents and Pranee gladly told her that she could treat her parents like hers as well. That late night conversation made the two to get closer together and became good friends.

The next day, Pranee and her parents sent Nittaya back home where her parents stayed at the living room until the morning comes. They weren't able to sleep and just spent the whole night waiting for their daughter to come back. Nittaya told her parents what happened and how she was saved and taken care of Pranee's family. Her parents were truly thankful at Pranee's parents for what they've done to Nittaya and that's how their families' strong friendship had started.

 

 

 

Learning from their mistakes, Nittaya's parents suddenly changed and they spent as much time as they could to their daughter. Instead of continuing to homeschool her, they agreed to send their daughter to the university with Pranee. Nittaya's parents supported Pranee's university expenses, and even gave Pranee's parents stable jobs.

Throughout their journey as college students, Pranee and Nittaya's friendship remained strong. They shared lots of memories together, whether it's good or bad. They were there for each other as they cried for their first heartbreak, cheered each other during examinations, helped each other for school projects, and celebrated their graduation together.

Shortly after their graduation, the two started searching for a job. Nittaya and Pranee were inseparable. The two wanted to work in the same place together. But Nittaya's parents had other plans for her. She was set to marry the son of her family's friend from the upper class family. She wasn't surprised at all, since it was like a tradition in their town. Upper class families usually arranged their children's marriage to their friends or business partners' children.

The two girls expressed their desire to experience working together, so Pranee tried persuading Nittaya's parents to let her work before getting married. Life after getting married is different and they all knew that, so Nittaya's parents agreed to the girls' desire, letting their daughter to work for at least two years before getting married.

With those years, Nittaya and Pranee did all the things that they wanted to do. While Nittaya and her soon to be husband used those years in getting to know each other, Pranee also found a lover. Both of them had lots of plans for the future, but it slowly disappeared without the girls fulfilling all of them. They planned on opening a business together, getting married together, and build their own family at the same. But none of them ever came true.

After two years, Nittaya got married. Pranee, as well as her boyfriend wasn't ready to settle down yet, leaving Nittaya to have the wedding all alone. Shortly after Nittaya's marriage, her in-laws wanted them to settle in another country. Despite of opposing the plan, Nittaya had no choice but to follow her parents and in-laws about migrating to a foreign country. It was truly heartbreaking, but Nittaya needed to leave Pranee in Bangkok.

On Pranee's wedding which took place just a year later, Nittaya came and congratulated her best friend. But she didn't stay that long in Bangkok as she left going back to her new country three days later. Before Nittaya went back, she spent most of her time with Pranee. They did those things that they used to do before.

Since they were both married and expecting to have kids soon, Nittaya joked about marrying their children to each other. She stated that if their children would get married to each other, then both of them could be together again because they're going to be a family. Even though Nittaya was just joking, Pranee gladly agreed about it. She even asked about the possibility of having the same gender of their children, saying that they couldn't let the two get married if that happened. Nittaya then responded that if it happened, then they're going to marry their grandchildren instead.

 

 

 

Distance didn't stop their friendship. No matter how far they were to each other and how difficult it was for them to communicate, they didn't stop sending letters that would usually take weeks or even months to arrive. Telephones were already available at that time, but it was considered a luxurious item that Pranee couldn't afford. So both of them used the writing method in sending messages. Nittaya and Pranee updated each other that way. It was also their way of telling each other about their pregnancy. Shortly after Nattiya came back from Bangkok, she found out that she was pregnant.

The very first person to know about her pregnancy other than her husband, was her best friend Pranee. She excitedly grabbed a paper and wrote a letter to her bestfriend, sharing the good news about her pregnancy. On the other hand, Pranee was happy and excited for her bestfriend's child.

Years had passed and Pranee got pregnant with her first child as well. Just like what Nittaya did, Pranee also wrote a letter to her best friend about her pregnancy and even revealed the gender, which is a girl. Pranee expressed her disappointment because both of them were given a baby girl. Nittaya's baby was also a girl and was already two years old at the time of Pranee's pregnancy.

When Nittaya received the letter, she burst out laughing while reading it. She was happy about Pranee being pregnant with her first child, but she laughed at the thought of Pranee being so sad because it was a baby girl and not a boy like they were wishing for. Nittaya comforted her best friend as she wrote a letter in respond to Pranee. She said that they need to wait for their daughters to grow up, have children, and let them marry their grandchildren to each other.

They continued writing to each other but after years of communication, Pranee suddenly stopped receiving letters from Nittaya. She didn't know what happened to her best friend abroad and what's worst was that she didn't know who or where to ask. Ever since the day she received Nittaya's last letter, Pranee completely lost communication with her.

It's not only Pranee who got depressed about what happened, Nittaya was also sad for not being able to send letters to her best friend anymore. Her husband was permanently transferred to another branch of their company at a countryside. He bought a house and they moved in there from the city. Nittaya's husband wanted his wife to have a good environment while raising their daughter, so he decided to accept that offer.

Sending letters in the city was a bit difficult and so is at the countryside. Nittaya had a lot of letters written and kept on her desk, but she wasn't able to send all of them. Knowing that her sadness wouldn't change the situation she was in, Nittaya just focused herself on taking care of her family. But of course, she kept her best friend Pranee in her heart. She believed that one day, she would be reunited with her best friend once again.