Hate at first sight

The Bodyguard
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

     The next morning, Wheein found herself waiting for the bodyguard outside of the company building at 0750 feeling oddly nervous. She wasn’t sure what to expect from an ex-special forces officer but when she had her initial meeting with the CEO of RV Security Management (or RVSM for short: a small company but with a solid reputation) had reassured her that this bodyguard was her best and most highly sought after asset. Wheein had deliberately picked a smaller company but one with a good reputation for professionalism and utmost discretion because she knew that Nam Entertainment, despite their success through Solar, was still a small company and would not be able to afford anyone much bigger. She had liked the CEO Bae Irene almost immediately, seeing past her seemingly frosty exterior to the shy introvert dwelling within; because there was something about her that reminded her so much of Solar that it startled her for a few moments. The other thing that struck her was how the private security firm was being run by such a small, almost fragile looking woman but Wheein immediately slapped the thought out of her mind. She was never one to judge a book by its cover nor anyone based on gender and she did not want to start now. 

     Wheein was startled out of her thoughts on being approached by a taller slim woman with long dark hair, who was dressed in a simple black suit, that she could only describe as handsome (not pretty or beautiful but handsome ), and carrying a military backpack on one shoulder. Said woman hefted her backpack so that it sat higher over her shoulder and after a quick bow, stuck out her hand to her.

“I’m Moonbyul, the new bodyguard. You must be Manager Jung?”

Okay, so to top it all off, her voice was a husky low one that was somehow simultaneously soothing and alluring. 

And she must have been staring for a beat too long because the bodyguard tilted her head slightly in mild bemusement. 

“Ah! Yes, sorry!” Wheein squeaked and bowed twice before finally accepting the hand that was still being offered to her. The hand was larger than hers, warmer and stronger. “I am Solar’s manager, yes. Please just call me Wheein. Manager Jung makes me sound old… And you’re early! Well, not that that’s a bad thing since I’m early too… so I guess it doesn’t matter, really.”

Then she blushed as she realised that she had rambled then suddenly had no idea what to say next. She hadn’t known what to expect from the bodyguard but not this… and certainly not the small but surprisingly soft lopsided smile that slowly appeared as she kindly tried to rescue the conversation, “Well, if you lead the way, I would say we were both on time, Wheein-ssi.” 

Wheein was grateful to the bodyguard for not making her feel like a complete idiot and for giving her something to do. She walked them into the building and into the elevator before leading her into a small conference room. Small talk along the way quickly revealed that Moonbyul was a few years older than Wheein and when Moonbyul gave Wheein the permission to call her “unnie”, the latter insisted that “Byulyi-unnie” just called her “Wheein” without the “ssi”. 

     After sitting down in the conference room, it was all business, with Wheein briefing the bodyguard about the threats, failed bomb attack and the few instances of creepy gifts being delivered to secret filming locations or Solar being followed home. Moonbyul then requested a few things like full access to the company building, staff records and Solar’s full schedule as well as being included in any discussions regarding changes to said schedule. When Moonbyul also asked for access to any ongoing investigations regarding stalker activity, Wheein had to quickly explain the lame excuse, “Ah yes, about that. Um, the CEO shut down all the Police investigations because it might bring the wrong sort of media attention to Solar…” She noticed a slightest twitch in a sculpted eyebrow but otherwise the bodyguard’s face did not reveal anything. “He thinks that these were all the actions of some delusional attention-seeking sasaeng fans and that it is a side effect of being a popular celebrity in this country.”

Moonbyul merely nodded once and scribbled something into a small black notepad she had been jotting down relevant information. Wheein chewed on her bottom lip before deciding to add, “And unnie, could I ask a favour?”

“Sure.”

“Please don’t talk about the stalker or anything related to them either with Solar-unnie or around her.”

The older girl blinked at this before replying with a question, “Is she that… affected by all of this?”

Wheein looked away. She hated lying. “S-Something like that.”

Before either of them could say anything else. Other members of staff began filtering into the room and Wheein busied herself with greeting them and introducing the new bodyguard. She was part amused and part relieved to note that she was not the only one who was having an odd reaction to the politely bowing (and ridiculously good-looking ) ex-soldier. However, nervousness immediately bowled over any other feelings as a certain beautiful and currently blonde idol entered the room. Wheein’s teeth fou

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter