Bonus Chapter II

The Bodyguard
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

     Another two weeks flew by and Moonbyul recovered rapidly, coming out of her sling and starting her rehab sessions with RVSM's physiotherapist, Gongchan. Everyone around Byul had been worried that she was starting too early, since it had barely been a month since she had been shot, but she had proved her point by walking everywhere (especially since she couldn't drive whilst her right arm was in a sling) and sometimes would end up walking between 1 to 4 hours a day, depending on where she had been and where she was headed. Wendy's frequent check-ups eventually reassured everyone that Byul was healing and that it was safe to start her rehab. 

She had already been called in a number of times (even when she was still in a sling) to advise on open cases at RVSM or commissioned as a consultant in security matters, both in the private sector and military; her heroic actions, captured on a live broadcast and detailed in headline news, had catapulted RVSM’s profile as a private security agency and those in the military with enough clearance to access her previous assignments with the special forces had already heard of her previous exploits. 

     Meanwhile, the idol Solar was officially on hiatus; something that everyone understood given how almost the whole world had seen what happened at the awards show and then the ugly details of Nam Entertainment CEO’s deeds came to light, but she had been offered a role in an upcoming star-studded movie that would start filming later in the year. She had been specifically sought out by the award-winning director, as she had been impressed by the idol’s acting in her first ever movie role, and had even sent a copy of the script to her before anyone had even been cast. Solar was not only flattered but also liked the script and her character and since Wheein had approved as well, eventually accepted the role. 

Otherwise, business at Rainbow Inc. had really picked up, as teaser trailers and posters of international fashion model Hwasa’s debut as an idol had garnered so much attention, they were already receiving invites for her to attend variety shows. Therefore, Wheein and Solar were not only coaching and advising Hwasa on how these shows worked (luckily discovering that the model was a natural), but they were also extremely busy with Hwasa's first album, as most of the songs were being written, composed and/or produced by the three of them and even the artwork had Wheein's handiwork in it. And this included the debut single that they planned to drop first, assess the fan reactions and expert reviews before attempting to release the full album. 

Whenever Byul had time to visit the new company, she never failed to be amazed at the creativity, forward planning and levels of organisation that the three ladies demonstrated in building Hwasa’s singing career. 

It made her think that Wheein and Solar were really suited to be CEOs together, balancing each other’s skills out almost seamlessly.

And Hwasa was an easy-to-work-with professional in every sense, even as a new artist.

     But this all meant that the three of them had regretfully not been able to hang out with or look after Byul as much as they would have liked, especially Solar. Byul insisted that she preferred it this way, rather than being ‘mollycoddled’ but Solar and the ‘kids’ were not happy (and to be honest, were feeling a little guilty) therefore, whenever they had the chance, they tried to spend some time together as friends rather than work colleagues. 

And today was no exception.

Their afternoon meeting ended up getting cancelled after a potential choreographer for Hwasa had to call in sick and so Solar and the Wheesa couple decided to pay Byul a surprise visit at RVSM for a change and take her out for a late lunch. After confirming through Irene that Byul was still in the building and in a physio session with Gongchan, they drove to the agency in Solar’s car. They were delighted to be met at the foyer by Irene and Seulgi and then the whole group walked to the gym, chattering along the way.

But just as they approached the glass doors of the gym, they saw someone shoot past followed by a loud shout.

Seulgi was first through the door and stopped short, leading to the others all crowding around her at the doorway.

“Noona! That’s not fair!” Gongchan yelped as he laughed. “You can’t go sideways!”

“How is it not fair? You get to use your arms!” Byul demanded but with a huge grin on her face.

“I’ll accept you won if you can do it again.”

“Yah!” The ex-soldier shoved the younger physio in the shoulder but replied, “Fine. Just one more time."

The pair of them had stacked 2 plyo boxes and appeared to have been trying to jump over them. They hadn’t seen or heard the mini audience enter as their competitive nature took over.

Solar watched as Byul moved back until her back touched the wall and paused to lift the hem of her t-shirt to wipe her brow, exposing her toned abs. She had somehow retained all her lean muscle from before the shooting and in fact had actually gained back some of the weight she had lost due to stress, thanks to everyone trying to feed her (including Gongchan with his protein shakes). And despite her initial concerns that Byul had returned to exercising too soon and that she was still healing, Solar was a little taken aback by how good the younger girl looked: standing tall, covered in a light sheen of sweat and laughing with her physio. 

Then she moved.

Byul sprinted towards the stacked boxes and leaping up, practically flew over them, flipping over and tucking into a roll as she landed safely onto the crashmat behind them. She rolled out onto one knee and smoothly rose to her feet, accepting the high five from an excited Gongchan.

“That was awesome, noona!”

Before Byul could respond, Irene cleared .

The pair finally caught sight of the audience they had had.

Gongchan paled.

“Were you not under strict instructions to stick to the rehab programme?” CEO Irene had appeared and she could be scary.

Byul approached the group with a wave and a small sheepish smile, “I’m sorry, unnie. This was my fault, we finished the rehab session for the day and I made Gongchan join in on messing around.”

Gongchan hurried over and giving a low bow to Irene and a quick fist bump to Byul, grabbed his bag and scurried away to avoid the petite CEO’s wrath.

“As much as I love that you’re here…” Byul changed the topic as soon as Gongchan had left and she had given her girlfriend a kiss on her cheek. “Weren’t you guys meant to be in a meeting?”

“It got cancelled, so we came to take you out for a late lunch.” Solar replied, trying to ignore the light blush that appeared on her cheeks as she played with Byul's fingers that had reached for hers. “You haven’t eaten yet, right?”

As Byul shook her head, Seulgi interrupted.

“Hurry up and go shower first, unnie. You’re sweaty and stinky.”

A mischievous grin suddenly appeared on the ex-soldier’s face.

“Who wants a hug?”

Seulgi gave her a middle finger and immediately ran out of the gym, whilst Wheein and Hwasa squealed before running out after her.

Solar and Irene, however, stood their ground and both merely raised a sculpted eyebrow at her in a challenging manner.

Like a matching pair of scary sisters.

The ex-soldier chuckled as she raised her hands in mock-surrender, before heading towards the showers.

“I won’t be long.” She promised.

Seulgi followed Byul whilst everyone else headed towards Irene’s office to wait but then Wheein and Hwasa borrowed the car keys to split off and look for the model's phone as she realised she had probably left it in the car (again). Once they were left alone, Irene and Solar fell into a comfortable silence for a few moments as they moved into the CEO’s office and sat down. 

Solar politely accepted a glass of water, giving Irene time to gather her thoughts as she looked like she wanted to say something. She had realised recently that Irene was as much of an introvert as she was, especially after Wheein had mentioned that she had felt comfortable with Irene quite quickly because of how similar the two older girls were.

“I’ve been keeping a close eye on Byulyi…” She started quietly, “She always pushes herself too hard if we don’t try to stop her. I’ve allowed her to be called in for consulting jobs but I won’t be giving her clearance for assignments until both Wendy and Joy are happy.” 

Solar nodded and flashed Irene a grateful smile.

“Byulyi is… She seems… brighter since you and Wheein-ssi came into her life. It’s been a long time since Seulgi and I have seen her like this.” Neither of them felt the need to mention the reason for this, both knowing the tragic tale well enough. “It’s as if she’s been given hope… and a reason to live again.”

Solar studied the almost porcelain-doll-like features of the woman in front of her, thinking to herself that Irene cared for Byul just as much as Seulgi did and not just as her friend's girlfriend. 

"I think… she's always had those… because of you, Seulgi-ssi and Hyejinie being beside her." She replied carefully and caught the surprise flit across Irene's face before she tidied it behind a neutral expression. "Maybe Wheein and I just added to it."

Irene's dark analytical gaze seemed to appraise her for a long moment before her professional mask fell away and a small warm and genuine smile appeared.

"You're good for her." 

Solar felt a light blush creeping onto her face, "I think we're good for each other…"

Then after a beat, she added quietly, "I don't think I ever got a chance to thank you…"

Irene tilted her head to one side, "For?"

"For sending me to Byul that day."

They both knew she was referring to the day Irene had hesitantly given the address for the crematorium. 

The day Byul had opened up to Solar about Dahee.

"I guess I made the right call then?" Irene asked and her smile grew at Solar's nod. "I'm glad I could do something for her, for a change."

There was a glint in her eye that told Solar there was a lot more to their history than had been mentioned but she also understood that this was a story for another time. 

And before they could say anything else, Wheein and Hwasa returned triumphantly with the model's phone.

     Meanwhile, Seulgi had followed Byul to the empty changing rooms and sitting down on one of the benches, kept her company by chatting to her as she showered; descending quickly into their usual childish ribbing at each other. 

"What do you mean I have a type?"

"Oh please, unnie… you totally have a type."

"Oh, really? What type?"

"First, they have to look like a model…"

"I'm not that superficial!"

"...and second, they have to be total divas!"

"Yah!" 

Seulgi giggled as she dodged a wet towel that flew out of one of the shower cubicles.

"I don't know why you're laughing, Kang Seulgi." Byul said as she popped out of the same cubicle roughly drying her hair with a second towel. "You have the same type!"

"Touché…" The younger girl replied as she watched the ex-soldier drop the wet towels (including the one she had thrown) into the laundry basket before moving to the hairdryers.

Byul was wearing just dark jeans and a sports bra, giving Seulgi a good view of the new scars that had been added to her collection, scattered across the lean torso. The older girl never seemed to mind them but to Seulgi, they were constant reminders of what Byul had been through and all the pain she had endured.

Her thoughts were interrupted as Byul finished drying her hair and threw on a loose-fit sweatshirt.

"Unnie, you look… better." Seulgi started hesitantly, unsure of how to voice her inner thoughts. 

Byul looked up from packing her bag and immediately sensed the tone had changed.

Looking at the unusually quiet and uncertain Seulgi fidgeting, Byul was reminded that this girl had watched her go through hell, stayed strong beside her and always supported her. A wave of gratitude washed over her suddenly and in her mind, silently promised to do better for those who had stood by her all this time; mainly Hyejin, Seulgi and Irene. 

But she was unsure of how to express all that right now.

Instead, she pulled on her baseball cap and grabbed her bag before walking over to ruffle Seulgi's hair.

"Don't go greasy on me, Kang."

Seulgi snorted as she leaned back and swatted her away, "That's your job, unnie."

They shared a smile, knowing the other had heard their unspoken words and the pair continued teasing each other as they headed towards Irene's office.

---

     After lunch, where Irene and Seulgi regretfully declined as they had already eaten, Byul was driving Solar back to her flat after dropping the 'kids' off at Wheein's. They were in Byul's car as the ex-soldier had been keen to get back to driving it as soon as she could. 

Solar studied her girlfriend as she drove, admiring the side profile and how good she looked in a baseball cap. They had fallen into a comfortable silence after Wheein and Hwasa alighted, and Byul hummed lowly to a song playing on the radio with her right hand held in Solar'

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter