Their winter holiday

The Bodyguard
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Unnie... this is a really nice car.” Wheein said to Moonbyul. 

The start of their much anticipated winter holiday had finally arrived and Byul had offered to drive everyone there, rather than ordering a taxi like Solar and Wheein had done previously. And in return the other 3 had offered to meet outside Byul’s flat early that morning, so that she did not have to drive around in rush hour traffic to pick them up individually.

Hwasa chuckled at Wheein’s wide eyes admiring the flashy black Mercedes GLC whilst Byul started loading their suitcases into the trunk, “This is Byulyi-unnie’s only weakness.”

Wheein turned to see Solar’s reaction and found her completely unfazed.

“Why aren’t you surprised?” She asked before suddenly gasping, “Wait, that means you’ve seen it before! How the hell did the two of you manage to go on a date without us knowing?”

The idol’s sculpted eyebrows shot up in alarm before she could mask her reaction and her startled eyes darted between a grinning Wheein and a pleasantly surprised Hwasa. 

“Uh…” She needed to come up with an excuse fast but she really couldn’t think in the flustered panic. “W-We didn’t…”

“Wheein-ah~” Byul smoothly appeared in front of Wheein after closing the trunk, “A taken woman like you shouldn’t be jealous…”

She added a wink and a flirty tap to the resident-puppy’s chin.

Wheein blushed immediately.

Hwasa leapt in between them, waving her arms about and shouting, “Take your stupid girl crush charms elsewhere, Mansaengie!”

Byul chuckled as she stepped back to avoid the flailing limbs of a possessive lion and opening the front and rear passenger doors, gave an exaggerated bow and asked the giggling “ladies” to enter the car.

Just as they were getting in, a recovered Solar asked, “What’s Mansaengie?”

Hwasa snorted and explained whilst Byul playfully rolled her eyes as she got into the driver’s seat, “It’s the Chinese pronunciation of Byulyi-unnie’s name. I discovered it when we started learning Hanja* in high school and she’s been saved on my phone as Mansaengie ever since.” 

“Mine now says ‘Actually EXO’s Xiumin’...” Wheein chipped in, making Solar and Hwasa crack up.

“I really don’t think I look like him…” Byul grumbled as she pulled out of her parking spot and onto the main roads before turning to the idol, who had naturally taken the front seat next to her. “What do you have me saved as, unnie?”

“I changed it to ‘Moon Fart Fart’ recently…” Solar replied with a grin. “What about me?”

“‘Yongsun-unnie’.” Byul replied with a completely straight face. 

“Seriously? I don’t believe you.” Solar eyed the driver suspiciously.

“Unnie, remember I’m driving…” Byul warned as she sensed the older girl plotting.

The two younger girls in the backseat watched the drama unfold with bated breath and their eyes flicked over to Solar, who calmly pulled out her phone and sent someone a message.

The satnav on the centre console of the Mercedes was interrupted and a preview of a text received by Moonbyul’s phone (connected via Bluetooth) appeared and there was a tense silence as all eyes honed in on it.

A single middle finger emoji had been sent by…

“‘Yeba Yongddunie’?!” Solar shrieked as she slapped a chuckling Byul’s arm repeatedly. “I’m older than you, you little !”

“Wow…” Wheein managed in between laughs, “That’s so much more affectionate than ‘Moon Fart Fart’!”

“Totally. Yongsun-unnie’s a tsundere!” Hwasa joined in.

“Yah!” A now bright red Solar had very little defence.

     The resort was a good 4 to 5 hours’ drive away and Byul had offered to drive the whole way there as she enjoyed driving (and according to a smirking Hwasa, she didn’t trust anyone else with her car). The other girls kept her entertained (with singing and silly stories) and well fed, as Hwasa had brought plenty of snacks and a blushing Solar fed her from the front passenger seat, ignoring any cooing from the raucous backseat. But as it neared lunchtime, snacks were not enough to keep the hunger at bay, and they were all grateful when Byul caught sight of signs for a nearby service station and pulled into the carpark. She then refused to unlock the doors until the two sheepish celebrities had put on their facemasks and everyone had their coats on. As soon as they were out of the car, Wheein and Hwasa sped ahead with a laughing Solar pulling Byul after them and the latter could not help but smile at their excitement as they food-stall-hopped to try a little bit of everything. At one of the stalls, a friendly ahjumma watched as Solar fed her bodyguard a bite of her tteokbokki and a sip of odeng-soup since the latter’s hands were both full carrying food they had enthusiastically purchased for later and the trash from earlier ‘sampling’. Taking pity on her, she offered to take the trash and throw it away for her, and a grateful Byul bowed as she thanked her. 

“It looks like the four of you are on a fun little double date!” The ahjumma exclaimed as she gave a sweetly smiling Wheein an extra helping of odeng-soup for free (because who can resist those puppy-eyes), “Are you two couples on a trip together?”

Before a surprised Byul or a blushing Solar could correct her, Hwasa jumped in smoothly to inform her that they were and soon Wheein and Hwasa were chatting up a storm with the older lady. She had not seemed to have recognised Hwasa or Solar and so even Byul relaxed a little as Solar joined in their conversation, but kept a sharp eye out for any brewing trouble whilst they ate at the counter.

“How long have you been in the military?” 

Byul looked back sharply at the question from the ahjumma and seeing only genuine curiosity, replied, “I served for 6 years before I retired.” 

“I see… I’m sorry for being nosy, it’s just that you reminded me of my husband. He was a career soldier until he retired a few years ago.”

The ex-soldier nodded unsure of what to say and was nearly startled when the older lady reached over to gently pat her scarred hand with her own work-worn one.

“Relax… enjoy your time with your pretty girlfriend.” She added with a wink and laughed along with the younger girls at the blush that appeared on both Byul and Solar’s faces.

They later headed back to the car feeling full and laden with extra food the generous ahjumma had packed for them, especially after Byul added a large tip to their bill. 

     It was early evening by the time they had pulled into the main carpark at the winter resort. Solar had explained in the car that this resort was owned by a semi-retired idol known as Lee Hyori and due to this, it was well known that she and her staff were always very discreet and offered their most remote lodges to her celebrity clientele, so that they could vacation with as much of their precious privacy as possible. Hwasa had surprised them by saying that she also knew Hyori quite well (having met on a few fashion shows and were part of a variety show together in the past) and when she had messaged her, had stated that she would be staying on site for some of the days they were booked for and had said it would be nice to see them for a drink at least. Given that (somehow) the ladies were hungry again, Byul suggested picking up their keys and having dinner at the main lodge before driving to their own lodge. The staff immediately recognised Solar and Hwasa and ushered them through a discreet entrance to a private room for dinner before taking their drinks orders. 

Their chatter was briefly interrupted by the entrance of a beautiful woman, whose eye smile was as legendary as the idol group she had once been in, “Hwasa! Solar-ssi! It’s been a while!”

They all immediately stood to bow and greet Lee Hyori, who hugged Hwasa and waved at everyone, bidding them to sit down. She recognised Wheein and even Moonbyul, although she had only visited Hwasa on set of their variety show very briefly and it had been a few years. 

“It’s cute that you’ve come as couples this year… ah, thank you.” She said as she settled in an extra chair Byul dragged over from the corner. Her sharp eyes did not miss the amusement in the younger couple’s faces and the flustered confusion in the older couple’s. “Did I get that wrong? Sorry, I had just assumed because Solar-ssi hadn’t changed the sleeping arrangements…”

Solar’s jaw dropped and her face burned as she realised that their normal booking included two bedrooms, with a double bed in each.

Which meant she would have to share a bed.

With Moonbyul.

And her abs.

Oh Lord

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter