Solar Party

The Bodyguard
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Notes:

Before I start, there were some comments from readers on AO3 that I did want to address in case there were readers here who had the same thoughts, just to clarify everything:

1) Some commented on how Byul seems too perfect and is borderline worshipped:
This story is technically written in the 3rd person but I tried to angle the perspective from mainly Solar or her friends. I also had a few instances where Hwasa gives hers too. What I was trying to achieve was the concept of how Byul is that one friend everyone has who somehow seem to have "72 hour days", "looks good all the time" and is "annoyingly good at everything but it's hard to hate them because they're so nice".
2) Some want to see Byul's POV:
I was going to start bleeding in Byul's perspective from the next chapter onwards and then be fully in her POV for a chapter or so before the narrative will try and sit on neutral ground for the last few chapters.

Call it an author's experiment but I just wanted to try tilting the "camera" of the 3rd person narrative and have all the perspective from one angle before flipping it.
So in reference to the 2 points above (and without leaving any accidental spoilers), Byul is most certainly not perfect but she tries hard to portray that to everyone around her; I see it as part of her character in this fic. Her perspective will be revealed and hopefully it will make more sense then.
I was hoping to explore it all a bit more in what will be a grittier reality in the prequel/sequel but this fic was meant to be slightly tongue-in-cheek fluff with minor drama and action (because I can't seem to write anything without my favourite action lol).

Anyway, I hope that clears things up and I hope that you all continue to enjoy!

---

     Yonghee spent a few days with Solar before they both spent the rest of the week with their parents. Solar had declined Byul’s kind offer to drive them there (much to Yonghee’s disappointment), feeling oddly vulnerable after her talk with her older sister and unable to bear the thought of spending time with her bodyguard whilst her sister psychoanalysed them. Instead she called for a taxi, claiming it was also so that she could make the most of 'family time' but then proceeded to spend a lot of the car journey on her phone. And it was the same over the next few days.

Yonghee walked into the living room from the kitchen and watched as her younger sister took yet another selfie before typing away on her phone with a small smile on her face. There was no way this was for her social media account, since she was dressed in just an oversized t-shirt with a bare face and hair pulled up into a messy bun. 

There was a notification sound and the smile grew.

Yonghee raised a sculpted eyebrow.

She had a hunch as to whom the selfies, multiple messages and soft smiles were for.

But she never missed an opportunity to mess with her younger sister.

So Big Yong crept up behind her… 

Then snatched the phone and rolling back on the sofa, with practiced ease, kept the panicking Little Yong at a safe distance using her feet and legs. She scrolled through the messages from the last few days and saw multiple exchanges of talk about virtually any topic as well as aforementioned selfies. Solar’s were mostly of her relaxing at their parent’s home but Yonghee could totally tell they were her best angles, with the odd slip of modest cleavage and bare leg here and there. 

Byul’s ( who else? ) were all from the office, the gym or the gun range; the girl clearly was unable to sit idly for a day, but still looked ruggedly handsome.

Solar finally managed to snatch her phone back and quickly checked to see if her sister had tried to send anything incriminating.

“Jesus, just date her already.” Yonghee said as she casually sat back up gracefully, as if she hadn't just wrestled her sister like a pair of naughty children. 

"We're just two friends messaging each other."

“Uh-huh. Don’t act like you don’t ring her every night to say good night.” She cheered mentally when Solar immediately blushed, suggesting she was right. "Look, you're going back to work to film those ads or whatever in a few days, right? So, why don't you guys use your mouths to actually talk to each other instead of smooching?"

Little Yong looked slightly traumatised as she mouthed the word, " smooching " with more than a little disgust.

Big Yong ignored her as she continued, "And if you don’t talk to her. I will."

“Wait, what? H-How?”

“Well, I know you’re going to invite her to your birthday party and I’m going to ambush her.”

Solar’s eyes narrowed. “You wouldn’t.”

Yonghee smirked. “You know that I totally would.”

What scared the idol, even if she didn’t show it, was that she knew her older sister totally would too.

     The next few days flew by and soon, Solar was flitting about her parents’ house, getting packed to return to her own flat and back to work. She was feeling oddly nervous about going back and ignored Yonghee teasing her about being excited to see her favourite bodyguard. Instead she once again politely declined Byul’s kind offer to drive down to pick her up and opted to allow her dad to drive her back home that evening. Yonghee was going to stay with their parents until Solar's upcoming birthday party.

She went to bed feeling a bit jittery and woke up feeling like she could bounce off the walls.

She had never felt like this before.

No-one had ever made her almost tremble with anticipation, at just the thought of seeing them after a few days.

She had just picked her jacket for the day when the doorbell rang and she practically sprinted to the door to fling it open.

And there she was.

Moonbyul stood in her doorway, looking almost edible in her black suit.

Notably, without a tie .

“Hey…” The husky tone caressed her ears.

“Hi…” Solar responded quietly and returned the soft smile on her bodyguard’s face.

“And hello, Wheein is here too.” A resident-puppy huffed as she pushed the door open further so that the idol could see her. “Geez, am I going to be third-wheeling all day again?”

Solar giggled when a squealing Wheein was unceremoniously pulled into a bear-hug by Byul and stepped out of the apartment. She almost automatically allowed the ex-soldier to take her bag from her whilst she manager as they all entered the elevator together. 

But given how packed her schedule was, Solar barely got a few seconds alone with her bodyguard the whole day, and instead found herself just making the most of just being close to Byul; who busied herself in keeping Solar not only safe but also warm, well-fed and watered. 

Meanwhile, Jung Wheein watched intently as Solar not only accepted the small caring gestures from Byul but also reciprocated: by sharing bites of her snacks or sips of her water; reaching for Byul’s hand when she thought no-one was watching to squeeze in gratitude or just to hold while they spoke; and sometimes just stared at the handsome girl’s face, eyes flicking up and down between eyes and lips. And whilst she did slightly regret overloading Solar’s schedule, she did enjoy watching her two favourite unnies behaving like a married couple whenever they got to have their precious moments together. 

She then promptly reported all of her observations to her Hwasa and to a certain Kim Yonghee.

This continued for the few days they were filming for and before they knew it, it was time for Solar’s birthday party.

     They had planned to hold her birthday party a week in advance of her actual birthday so that Yonghee could attend before she flew back to the UK. Naturally, Byul came over during the day to help the Kim sisters set up for the dinner party and also brought Wheein with her (and Solar wondered if the resident-puppy had been brought along as part of Byul’s attempt at self preservation, especially given how her sister looked like she was scheming). Hwasa was going to be a little late as she was already on set, filming a cameo for a movie, but promised that she would be there for the party at the very least. 

As soon as Byul and Wheein arrived, Yonghee pushed the poor bodyguard back out of the door before she had taken her shoes off and before Solar had been given a chance to greet her. Wheein watched in amusement as Yonghee loudly declared that they needed to go shopping and slammed the door shut just as Solar took a breath in to protest.

“What is my sister planning?” The idol asked worriedly as she deflated.

Wheein smiled as she linked her arm with Solar’s and steered her towards the decorations that the sisters had laid out, ready to hang, “Nothing sinister, I’m sure. I just think Yonghee-unnie actually likes Byulyi-unnie.”

The manager was quite correct and Yonghee (surprisingly) behaved herself and engaged in light conversation with Byul, making the shopping trip a completely pleasant one.

It didn’t stop Solar from being all over them as soon as they returned, however, clucking over Byul as she deposited the shopping in the kitchen and scolding Yonghee for making her carry all the grocery bags.

“She wouldn’t let me take any.” Yonghee shrugged.

“But her fingers and her ribs only recently healed!”

“How did she injure those?” Big Yong asked with a raised eyebrow, suddenly curious. 

Her interest deepened when Solar and Wheein glanced at each other in a momentary panic, but Byul stepped in to calmly reply with a simple, “I got into a fight.”

She then excused herself to bring out the spare table from the closet in the hallway. 

And suddenly, neither Solar nor Wheein would make eye contact with Yonghee.

Knowing that she would get nowhere with the pair, she followed the ex-soldier out to the hallway and found her casually lifting the pretty heavy table with folding legs out of the closet. She waited until Byul had leant the table against the wall and closed the closet doors before she spoke.

“You got injured protecting my sister, didn’t you?” 

The younger girl hesitated.

And it was all Yonghee needed to confirm her fears.

“Look, Yongsun hasn’t told me anything and I’m sure you have some form of non-disclosure agreement in your contract…” She said quietly, “But the moment Wheein mentioned that she got Yongsun a bodyguard, I knew something was wrong. And I know my baby sister thinks she’s protecting me and our parents by not telling us anything but none of us are deaf or blind, we saw the whole stage invasion thing on the news.”

Byul had taken her jacket off and rolled up the sleeves of her white shirt earlier. Yonghee glanced down and her eyes traced the well-healed thin white scars that still carved cruel lines at varying lengths down the exposed forearms with some ending on the already scarred hands.

“I know that a lot more has probably happened that never made it to the media, and given that my sister is unharmed and you were recently injured, I think it’s pretty clear that you’ve been doing a damned good job in keeping her safe.” 

She looked up to meet deep dark intelligent eyes and quickly blinked away tears before they could fall, “So, thank you for protecting my baby sister… I just wish you didn’t have to get hurt doing it.”

Byul nodded and gave the older sister a small reassuring smile.

“And thank you for making her happy.”

Byul now looked surprised.

“I mean it. Yongsun is… brighter around you. You make her happy and I like that you’re dependable.” This time Big Yong was the one to give a reassuring smile. “I don’t care what you are to her right now. I’m just grateful for you and I’m sure she is too.”

The bodyguard was speechless and ducked her head shyly, and the smile on the older girl’s face grew as started moving back the way she came but turned to say over her shoulder, “We’ll need that table in the living room.” 

By the time a concerned Solar had come to find them, they had opened up the table and were giving it a wipe down before they set it. She eyed her sister suspiciously but quickly grabbed Byul by the hand to drag her back to the kitchen island where she had prepared a quick lunch with Wheein. 

“Eat first, Byul-ah.” The idol all but pushed her bodyguard onto one of the stools before hopping up onto one next to her. “You haven’t even sat down once since you got here.”

Over the next few hours, as they prepared the flat for a party, Wheein and Yonghee became willing witnesses to the activities of the essentially (un)married Moonsun and were experts of the ‘knowing look’ by the end of it.

“Byul-ah… have you seen my charger for this?” Solar asked as she brandished a Bluetooth speaker connected to her tablet. 

A source of music to dance and sing to was a must at all times for the idol. 

“It’s i

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter