Chapter 19

Yin ☯ Yang
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[CONTENTID1]19[/CONTENTID1]

[CONTENTID2] Black & White [/CONTENTID2]

[CONTENTID3]“Life isn't black or white, it's all sorts of shades of grey.”[/CONTENTID3]

[CONTENTID4] When you thought that it's all over, it really isn't.

 

At least this was what happened to Im Yoona.

 

Every day and night for the past three years, she had been pining for this, even in her dreams. Oh, how she longed for this to be all over, so that things could return to normal, her way of normal. She didn't have to throw disgusted looks at Youngbae and Daesung, didn't have to snort at Jaesuk publicly, didn't have to give side eyes to the cops.

 

And most importantly, giving a deep hug to Jiyong, crying and eventually kissing him, pouring out all those thoughts that she had kept to herself.

 

However, when the end supposedly came, she felt nothing of these sort.

 

The expected relief and euphoria didn't come.

 

Instead, what came was despair and frustration.

 

Everything happened after nabbing Donghae was a whirlwind. Of course, Yoona had expected the force to capture her too when she made the call to Jaesuk, informing her about the meet-up with Donghae. She was fine with that since Jaesuk definitely wouldn't have the luxury of time to explain to the entire police force but what she didn't expect was after they were brought to separate custody rooms, instead of seeing Jaesuk, she was subjected to a gruesome five-hour long interrogation from the Internal Security Department (ISD). Despite having reports and records, the ISD still put her through harsh questionings. It was as though they were trying to make her lose control and lash out at them, just so that they could accuse her for turning bad and throw her behind the bars so that their dirty little secrets would not be exposed.

 

She was tired and hungry, her injured arm was beginning to hurt again but thankfully, she survived the interrogation. When she finally saw Jaesuk and broke down into a crying mess as he hugged her, rubbing her back, whispering comforting words to her. She returned to her so-called home for the past three years, wanting to just take a hot shower but was met with a wrecked house. Needless to say, words of her betraying Donghae had already leaked out and this was just the beginning.

 

Jaesuk arranged a temporary accommodation for her and though she had once again met up with the guys, with all the misunderstandings cleared, she knew things had shifted. She wanted to be normal but all she saw in their eyes were guilt, were how sorry they were for making her life so difficult when she was just trying to uphold justice these entire while. Jiyong... She didn't even want to start talking about him. Yes, she was angry for him not trusting her but more than that, she was heartbroken. All she wanted was a hug from him to say that everything would be fine now that she's back.

 

But once again, it didn't happen. 

 

She received a hug, yes, but what he murmured was 'I'm sorry...'

 

That's when realisation hit her.

 

Things were never going back to her kind of normal.

 

☯☯☯☯☯

 

It took another two months for more investigation and confirmation before Yoona could be reinstated back to the force. Of course, she wasn't going to be promoted to Inspector immediately. Everything had to be reset to the beginning, with her being back to the same team as the guys before the Headquarters finalise on her posting and title. On the surface, it seemed like the most normal thing ever. They still joked and fooled around but deep down, everyone knew it's definitely different. 

 

"POLICE! Stop whatever you're doing and turn on the lights!"

 

Jaesuk had wanted Yoona to take a longer break but the latter rejected the offer. She desperately wanted to be back in action, wearing the police badge and upholding justice openly.

 

But honestly, she should have listened to Jaesuk.

 

"Wow~ Look who is in da house! The TRAITOR!" 

 

It was a typical club raid but it just so happened that the club was under the Lee's teritory and worst case scenario: her ex-underling, Yeri was there. Even though Donghae was caught and pending trial, business had to go on as usual. Underlings were interrogated and thrown into jail, but there're remaining ones who left to tell the tale. It wasn't surprising how fast bad news had spreaded, as well as the fact that the force didn't bother covering up Yoona's with regards to this.

 

To the triads now, her reputation was tarnished.

 

She's the most hated kind of person; a traitor.

 

"Identity card please," Yoona kept her cool, ignoring the remark of Yeri.

 

"Sure~" Yeri, fishing out her identity card from her pocket but when Yoona was about to take it from her, she flicked her fingers and the card flew to the floor.

 

All her accomplices jumped to her defence while the police held down some of them at the same time.

 

"Oops~ Sorry. My fingers trembled," Yeri didn't sound a bit apologetic. "You don't mind picking it up, do you, OFFICER Im?"

 

All eyes were on Yoona, waiting to see what her reaction would be. Yoona continued to keep her composure as she bent down to pick up the card, recording the information down on her notebook, acting as though nothing had happened.

 

"Of course, I expect nothing less from our Yoona unnie," Yeri smirked, before stepping forward, speaking in a volume that only could be heard by the both of them. "Acting as though nothing happened. Acting as though you're an upright woman but you know what? Deep down, you're just a ing betrayer. A ing that doesn't deserve any of our respect. I doubt these officers respect you too."

 

Yoona snapped.

 

"STAND DOWN!"

 

Yoona held Yeri by her collar and everyone leapt to position. Yoona glared at Yeri while the latter remained a smug expression. Yoona tried, she really did. Despite Yeri's attitude, she had wanted to remain composed but it was just too much to bear, especially when she hit her weak spot. It was true; throughout these few months, Yoona could feel the difference in how the police look at her. It was as though... as though she's a criminal. Hell, she earned this spot! Who the hell are they to judge her?! She did the dirty job that no one dared or willing to do it!

 

"Yoona, wait for us outside."

 

Jiyong stepped in immediately. He shouted and everyone stood still, nobody dared to move as he strided across the room.

 

"Officer Im."

 

Jiyong repeated, this time, a little harsher and firmer. He rested his hand on her wrist and looked at her, ignoring all eyes that were on them. Yoona's anger steamed off immediately, realising that she had yet again, fell into the trap of agitation. She had almost became a hooligan again.

 

She released the grip on Yeri's collar and stormed out of the club, with Jiyong signalling Youngbae to take a look at her.

 

"Concern for your little girlfriend?" Yeri smirked.

 

Jiyong handed Yeri the identity card back but when she stretched her arm to take it, he flicked the card onto the floor, the same way she did to Yoona.

 

"You-!" Yeri hissed.

 

"Oh, I'm sorry. My fingers trembled," Jiyong put on a poker face, answering evenly. "You might want to pick it up yourself before it goes missing. You can get into a lot of trouble if your identity card goes missing, Yeri-sshi."

 

No one dared to offend Jiyong. Furthermore, Lee teritories weren't the same as before and if they were to get into more trouble with the law, it would only make things worse. Yeri could only grit her teeth and picked up her card while Jiyong stood to look.

 

"We'll visit again sometime soon. Thanks for co-operating, Yeri-sshi."

 

☯☯☯☯☯

 

"The guards called me, saying that you wanted to see me?"

 

Opposite her, sat Donghae. 

 

"After months of not seeing each other, that's the first sentence you can say? I thought at least the friendship was real, Officer Im."

 

"I'm no longer an officer..."

 

Yes, it was over. After putting on the uniform for three months, Yoona called it quits afterall. She came to an appalled realisation that she no longer fit to become a law enforcer. Sure, she knew whatever Donghae had done was wrong but yet, another side of her could see that the law is not always right... Her mind became clouded and she began to realise perhaps, her pas

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter