Chapter 9

Seoulmates
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter


Dara decided to spend time with her mom this time since she already went food stall hopping with Dahee last weekend. She wanted to treat her mom to a day of pampering. When they got done with the massage, they went next door to a traditional tea house to have a snack.
Her mom waited for the server to leave before she spoke. Her mom knows better than to talk about anything personal when they are not alone because of privacy concerns. 

Dara's mom: So you and Donghae drove down from Seoul yesterday, how was your trip?

Dara: Eomma, I know you're trying your matchmaking skills on us but I don't think he's interested

Dara's mom: What makes you think that?

Dara: I just feel like he's holding back, like he does not want for me to get too close

Dara's mom: That does not mean he does not like you. He may have been hurt before and he's just more cautious

Dara: You really like him, huh?

Dara's mom: When I met Jinoo, I knew he was the one for Dahee, and I have a feeling Donghae is also the one for you.

Dara: But don't you think it's too soon, eomma? I mean I don't want to make people think...

Dara's mom: You've spent all this time thinking about how people perceive you. 
Why don't you try not caring enough for once?

Dara was silent. She told In-young she has changed and yet she was reverting back to the person she was. She was going to do better from now on. Seize the day, so to speak.

She called Donghae when they got home. She wondered if he was still tired from the trip and if he felt like meeting up. It took a while for him to answer, she was about to hang up when he picked up. 

Donghae: Yeah? (hearing him out of breath)

Dara: Oh were you busy? Did I disturb you? 

Donghae: I was in a hurry to answer the phone.

Dara: Silly, you could have just called me back if you missed my call

Donghae: What's up?

Dara: I was wondering if you would like to go out tonight. 

Donghae: (sighing) I would love to but I can't

Dara stayed silent for sometime. 

Donghae: Hello? You still there?

Dara: How come I get the feeling that you don't want to spend time with me?

Donghae: Dara, it's not that, I....

Dara: I am not trying to get into a romantic relationship with you if that's what your scared of

Donghae: Dara....

Dara: I'm sorry ... it's just me and my temper. It's weird that you bring out the best and the worst side of me.

Donghae: (He needed to put a stop to this)
I'll meet you in 15 minutes. Dress warm.

Donghae hung up. What did he mean 15 minutes? She hurriedly put on a tracksuit and sneakers. That's it, you have your answer Dara. He is not interested. Get it through that thick head of yours. But why is he coming to pick her up though? Probably because she was so whiny and pathetic over the phone. He probably wants to tell her off in person.

Dara met Donghae downstairs and they walked towards a nearby park. They sat silently for a few minutes before Donghae spoke.

Donghae: I know this is going to sound arrogant but please hear me out. I am not able to get into a relationship not because I don't want to but because it is not the right time for it. 

Dara: Same here. This is not the right time for me too. So there's no need for you to think that what I am offering is anything more than friendship.

Donghae: I apologize if I made you feel that way

Dara: It's okay, I just want it cleared

Donghae: Friends then?

Dara: Let's shake on it

They shook hands and went back to not talking. Yes, Dara thought, friends can eventually turn to lovers when the time is right. Donghae on the other hand thought, there's nothing wrong with being friends. It would hurt less when it was time for him to go.

That talk helped clear the awkwardness between Dara and Donghae. They spent the following weekends together without any thought of how

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter