Chapter 11

Seoulmates
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter


Dara looked in the mirror at her disheveled state. How could she be so pathetic like that? The hurt and humiliation she felt made her heart ache so much she just had to cry it out. Was she so undesirable that he can't even bother to answer her? Is he in love with someone else? That must be it. Dara cried until she felt she had no tears left. Donghae, meanwhile, just got home. He went inside his apartment and was shocked to see his family inside. His mom and sisters were at the table preparing food while his dad and brother are putting up decorations. They were just as shocked to see him at the doorway. Dara, he thought. It was Dara who did this. How did she know he was longing for his family? Then he realized what he had done to her. His mom welcomed him with a hug.

Donghae's mom: Adeul, you and Dara were to arrive at midnight. Oh well, hope it was a nice surprise.

Donghae hugged his mom and the rest of his family. He missed them. His family went back to preparing for the "surprise party" while Donghae was figuring out how he could go back and talk to Dara. He wanted to leave that time but he could feel his fatigue setting in, he might not even be able to drive halfway. He needed to beg for her forgiveness. How could be so cruel after she's prepared something like this for him? He thought maybe he could call her, so he tried her number several times but she was not answering. It turns out, Dara decided to take a shower before changing clothes to go back to the airport. Dara just asked for a break in her schedule to make the trip for Donghae's birthday. She can go back and tell them she didn't need the break after all. Lesson learned, Dara. Never prioritize someone who treats you like you're worthless. 

When she was ready to leave, she picked up her phone to call a cab and saw the missed calls from Donghae. She was done with his push-and-pull. Let him enjoy his birthday with his family. Let that be a parting gift to him from her.

Donghae was lying next to his siblings in the living room while he let his parents sleep in his room. He thought about his decisions. He definitely made a huge mistake about everything. He thought it was going to be easy, but when he was finally told that he was nearing death, he panicked. He needed to see his family. If he didn't cut ties early on, he could have spent more time with them. Maybe if he stayed in China, he wouldn't be in this situation. He wouldn't have hurt Dara like that. 

The next day, his family told him that they will meet up with Dara's family at lunch. Dara set up the reservation for the restaurant to celebrate his birthday. He didn't think he could face her family, but he didn't want his family to notice something was wrong, so he went with them. He was surprised that they got a warm welcome when they arrived.

Dahee: Happy birthday!!!! I heard unnie had to fly back because of work, I hope you got to celebrate together before she left.

Donghae just nodded and smiled. So Dara's pretending that everything's okay, he thought. It made him guilty that she had to lie to her family because of him. 

When Donghae got the chance to get away from the party to call Dara again, it went straight to voicemail. What was he planning to say? He needed to talk to her in person. He should go to her. He needs to complete the plans for the project so he could take time off. Donghae's sister approached him outside. 

Donghae's sister: Oppa, when will you visit us? We're already going back tomorrow because this trip was not planned. Dara unnie said maybe you can go back with us to go on vacation if we came. 

Donghae: Our project is in its last stages, I can't leave right away. But as soon as I can, I will stay for about 2 weeks.

Donghae's sister: Really, oppa?!!! Ma will be so happy to hear that. But

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter