Chapter 1

Seoulmates
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was dawn when Donghae decided to walk along the beach for some fresh air. He had been sick on and off for the past few weeks and thought the sea breeze might help him feel better. The sun was barely out of the horizon so he could not make out a person sitting in one of the lifeguard towers. He continued to walk and was getting closer to the person when he realized it was a woman, in a sparkly evening dress. Her face had tear streaks from the mascara running down her face. He wondered if she had been there since the night before. He got worried that she might be contemplating something. He approached her with caution and asked

 

Donghae: Hi, are you okay?

 

Dara startled from her reverie, looked at the guy before her. Where did he come from? She did not notice anyone approaching, or maybe she was just deep in thought.

 

Dara: Yes, thank you. (She replied weakly then stared back at the ocean)

 

Donghae: Are you sure? Would you like me to call someone for you?

 

Dara looked at Donghae again. She realized she was not going to shake him off easily. Dara stood up to leave then Donghae followed.

 

Donghae: Look, I hope I didn't scare you but I'm seriously concerned about you, do you need me to drop you off somewhere?

 

Dara: I'm fine, I'm staying at that hotel (pointing to a nearby building at the beachfront) Thanks for your concern

 

Donghae: (Sighing) If you say so, but if you need any help, give me a call (handing out his calling card)

 

Dara: (accepting the card) Thank you...Mr...Park?

 

Donghae: Yes, and you are?

 

Dara: (Taken aback) Dara...Sandara Lee (waiting for him to recognize her name)

 

Donghae: Nice to meet you Dara. Take care of yourself, okay?

 

Dara: Okay

 

Dara turned and walked away. Thinking to herself, how can he not know me? Does he live under a rock?

 

Donghae waited until Dara was inside the hotel before he went back to walking. He thought about how beautiful Dara was even with her makeup ruined like that. He hopes whatever happened to make her feel that way would get resolved.

 

Dara got up to her room overlooking the sea and saw Donghae walking at the beach. She wondered why the guy was so concerned about her and then she realized why when she looked in the mirror. She knows that even if she took off her make up, there would still be dark circles underneath her eyes because of not being able to sleep for the past few days.

 

Her manager walked in and found her in her current state and realized she has been out since last night.

 

In-young: Where have you been? Were you out the entire time? I had to wait for the concierge this morning to give me a spare key to your room. I was getting worried.

 

Dara: I'm just tired.

 

In-young: I'm glad I cleared your schedule for the weekend but Dara this is not healthy.

 

Dara: Do you think I want this? That I'd want to go to parties and smile in front of people even if I'm miserable? I would rather sleep for good.

 

In-young: Dara you're scaring me. Let me call your mom

 

Dara: Don't bother. I'm going home this weekend. 

 

In-young: Do I need to clear the rest of your schedule for the week?

 

Dara: Yeah, tell them I'm sick with something.

 

In-young: Okay, do you need me to help you with anything? 

 

Dara: No, I'm good.

 

Donghae went back to the office to get the rest of his things. He was getting transferred to Sejong City next week and he had everything packed except for some of his things at the office. He didn't have much to pack anyway. He looked forward to his new post. He may have liked working in this sleepy resort town but he wanted more to do to keep his mind off things. 

 

Do Hwan: Hyung! I wasn't expecting to see you here. So this is it, huh? Sorry I was not able to attend your going away party, I had to help my wife with the kids.

 

Donghae: It's fine, but make sure you keep in touch, okay?

 

Do Hwan: I sure will, especially if I don't know what to do next. When are you leaving by the way?

 

Donghae: As so

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter