Chapter 8

Dancing In The Rain

Mina with their whole friends, well, except for the "engineering" ones are at their condo. They planned to have a study night even though Mina doesn't really know what's the purpose when they all have different courses. But of course, how can she win over a one versus four argument.

 

They all insisted that it'll help to study together but Mina know that she can't really study with a group. She just prefers to be alone. And she's right, she doesn't know when will they really focus on studying because it's been hours and their supposed to be "study night" were just full of eating and talking.

 

"So... what's your plan for the Christmas break guys?" Jihyo asked.

 

Mina is not really paying attention to their conversation, she's busy reading her book when in fact she knew that whatever she's reading is not being absorbed well by her mind. She kept on glancing at her phone, expecting to receive a single message even if she hasn't been receiving any for a week now.

 

"I'm going with you Jihyo unnie, that's what mom said" Tzuyu said while still reading her book about fashion design. 

 

"Oh. Right! We're going to New York" Jihyo said excitedly. "How about you Momo?" 

 

"We're going back to Japan, right Sana?" 

 

"Yes. I think" Sana then looked at Mina who's brows are furrowed while holding her phone. "It depends on Mina, honestly" 

 

"Mina?" Jihyo called once but Mina is still in a daze. "Hello earth to Mina!" 

 

Mina only blinked twice and looked at her friends when a crumpled paper was thrown at her. She looked at them with confusion when she saw that all eyes are already on hers. 

 

"Uhm, what..?"

 

"Mina are you even with us? Or are you so focus with studying?" Momo teased.

 

"Or maybe.. she's thinking about.. someone" Jihyo added and made a high five with Momo.

 

Sana sighed and looked at her with no expression. "Yeah, she's thinking about someone. Your friend just ditched Mina"

 

"Sana!" she called out with wide eyes.

 

"Huh?" Jihyo was looking at Sana and Mina, back and forth. "What do you mean? Chaeyoung ditched Mina?!"

 

"I guess so" Sana shrugged and continued reading her book.

 

If they will ask Mina, she'll probably have the same answer as Sana. It's true that after that night where she foolishly confessed, she haven't seen Chaeyoung. And it goes on for a week now, Mina wasn't even sure if she's avoiding her because if she called Chaeyoung, it will answer. But will eventually hang up saying that she has something to do or studying. Mina understood it, she tried to understand everything since she knows how important their exam is.

 

It's just that.. she can't help but to think that Chaeyoung is avoiding her because Mina told her that she like her. 

 

"Sana I told you it's not like that. I just uh, talked to her last day. She said she's also busy studying" Mina explained, still trying to side with Chaeyoung. 

 

"Is that so?" Jihyo said as if she's trying to remember something. "But I think.. I saw her with her friends last night. At The Blacklist" 

 

"W-what?!" 

 

"Oh no. Jihyo unnie, you can't really read a room" Tzuyu whispered. 

 

"Sana give me your keys!" 

 

"Are you insane Mina?! You know I can't let you drive!" They were already standing up, as Mina is already ready to leave. 

 

"Then drive me to Momo's apartment building!" 

 

Mina is raging inside and she doesn't even know why she's acting that way. But she fully knows that it's the sole reason why she made a drastic decision and why she and Sana is driving to Chaeyoung's apartment building. 

 

It just suddenly made her blood boil when Jihyo said that Chaeyoung was partying. Maybe, it just hurted her ego. Maybe, she was just too mad to accept that Chaeyoung is probably really avoiding her. 

 

"Mina, I don't know if you're already going nuts but please.. don't do anything mor3 stupider than this" Sana said with a bit concern in her voice. 

 

"I won't" she said as she goes out of the car. "Just wait here. I'll be quick" 

 

Her heart was racing as she rode the elevator. She kept biting on her nails while different scenarios are running on her head. Mina was a bit startled when the elevator ding, indicating that she's already on the right floor. Her legs were wobbly as she walked towards Chaeyoung's unit. 

 

Mina stood outside her door, holding onto her phone. After taking deep breaths, she finally had thr courage to dial Chaeyoung's number. 

 

"Hello?" Chaeyoung finally answered after several rings. Mina remained silent, but she could hear rummaging inside. Confirming that Chaeyoung is really there. "Hey Mina, you there?" 

 

Mina cleared . "Where are you?" 

 

"Oh. Uh.. at Dahyun's place. Why?" 

 

Mina clenched her fist at that. Chaeyoung is lying to her face. 

 

"Why don't you open your ing door before I break it!" 

 

The call ended so quick. Mina stood there for how many minutes before the door finally opened. It revealed a still shocked Chaeyoung while Mina is just looking at her with anger in her eyes. 

 

"Mina.. what are you doing here?" 

 

"At Dahyun's place huh?" Mina scoffed. "Why do you even need to lie Chaeyoung?" 

 

Chaeyoung didn't answer. She just stared at Mina and eventually ran her hand through hair as she sighef. 

 

"Look, I'm sorry. I just.. I'm busy" 

 

"Well, surprise! I'm busy too but here I am, wasting my time on you" her hands were trembling. Mina is doing her best not to lose it. 

 

Chaeyoung looker at her blankly. "I said I'm sorry. And I didn't even told you to go here, right?" 

 

"Huh!" Mina exclaimed unbelievably. She finds Chaeyoung hilarious right now. "You know what? you!" 

 

"Just leave, Mina. I'm really sorry" 

 

"I get it, Chaeyoung. I totally get it. You're avoiding me, right? Why? Is it because I confessed that I like you? Is that the reason?" 

 

"It's not like that. You won't understand" Chaeyoung remained calm while explaining to Mina while the latter is already on her limit. 

 

"No. No, Chaeyoung. Stop lying now, you don't even need to lie. Honestly, I don't really care if you want to avoid me now or if you don't want me to consider as your friend" 

 

"Mina.." Chaeyoung stepped forward but Mina moved backwards, causing Chaeyoung to stop. 

 

"You don't need to avoid me really. I just want you to tell it to me directly, so that I'm not like here. You know? I'd understand you" Mina gulped hard so that she won't cry. It's the last thing she wants Chaeyoung to see. 

 

"I'll understand you if you just said it straight to my face that you don't like me liking you" 

 

After saying her last words, Mina gathered the last strength she has and walked off. Chaeyoung didn't even said anything back to her nor stopped her from leaving. And it hurted more. Mina broke down at the elevator, her legs just felt really weak. She furiously wiped her tears and fixed her skirt before the elevator opened. 

 

Gladly, Sana didn't asked or said anything to her and they just drove back home silently. When her friends saw her, they were all just silent, maybe they could see how horrible looking she is right now. Mina didn't even continued studying with them and just went straight to her room. 

 

She covered herself with her blanket and hugged her pillow. Mina doesn't know why she's hurting like this when in reality, Chaeyoung really has no fault on this. For Mina, it was all just her. 

 

It's her fault to make assumption about their friendship. To get the wrong signal about those friendly dates or hangouts and Chaeyoung's kind gestures. 

 

Mina blamed it to her own feelings. It happened because she liked Chaeyoung. 

 

It happened because.. Mina assumed that Chaeyoung has the same feelings for her too. 

 

Their exam week came and Mina tried her best to remove Chaeyoung out of her mind. She already made her heart broken, and Mina doesn't want to have failing grades too. If Chaeyoung can act like nothing happened, Mina should do it too. 

 

"Are you okay now?" Sana asked while they're preparing for their first exam. 

 

"Yeah. Why wouldn't I? Don't worry about me and worry about the exam instead. Or else, you're flying back to Japan" 

 

Sana rolled her eyes at her and they laughed. "You should apply that to yourself. And passed or not, we're really flying to Japan for Christmas break"

 

"Ugh! Right. My mom kept on bugging me about that" 

 

Their morning exams ended and Momo is already waiting for them outside for lunch. Mina doesn't want to join them but she had no choice because Sana will get mad at her again. Just by thinking that she's going to see Chaeyoung again makes her feel unwanted feelings. 

 

When they arrived, everyone was already there. To Mina's surprise, it was Jihyo who's sitting in front of her. Which is supposed to be Chaeyoung's seat all the time. Mina shrugged it off even though it kills her inside but she wanted to look like she's not affected at all. 

 

They were all eating silently and it's unlikely of them. Mina felt a little guilty because maybe they're just considering her and Chaeyoung's feelings. Or maybe they were all affected because of this petty fight or whatever they call it. 

 

Out of guilt, Mina spoke up to break the silence. But to her surprise, Chaeyoung spoke too. 

 

"How's exam?" she asked out of nowhere. 

 

"Let's celebrate after exam" Chaeyoung also said. 

 

Everyone stopped eating and looked at the both of them, back and forth. Mina amd Chaeyoung also met eyes but Mina looked away first, drinking her cola. 

 

"Wow! I've never experienced an awkward lunch like this" Dahyun exaggerated. 

 

Momo nodded as an agreement. "Oh my gosh me too! It kills me" 

 

After that, everyone started talking to each other again. Of course, except for the both of them. Mina finishes her food so quick and stood up immediately. She excuses herself and almost ran back to their room. 

 

Sana came after a few minutes but she didn't bother to talk to Mina because of an earphones plugged in her ear. Mina was also closing her eyes, faking sleep. 

 

Mina's head was aching so bad that afternoon after their class and exams were done. She's walking slowly behind Momo and Sana to the parking lot. She almost walked to the west wing absent-mindedly, out of habit if Sana didn't dragged her back.

 

She was about to go inside the car when a familiar voice who's giving her nightmares these days called her.

 

"Mina.." Chaeyoung was almost panting from running. "Can we talk?"

 

"No-"

 

Mina held Sana's arm to stop her. "It's okay, Sana. Get inside the car then I'll just follow"

 

"Be quick" Sana glared at Chaeyoung before going in.

 

"What do you want, Chaeyoung?"

 

"I.. I don't know" Chaeyoung lowered her head.

 

"Okay. Then I'll get going now"

 

"No. Wait" she held Mina's wrist, and Mina could swear that Chaeyoung still has that effect on her. If things are different, she might be jumping inside now. Except it's not. "I'm sorry, Mina"

 

"Sorry for what? For avoiding me? Or for hating me because I like you?"

 

"You know that it's not like that. I'm really sorry for making you feel that way" Chaeyoung sighed and Mina could see that sincerity in her eyes. It's just that, she's not ready to accept it yet. "I wish I could tell you why, but I can't. You can't understand it, Mina. I'm sorry" 

 

"Stop saying sorry Chaeyoung. It's not your fault really. In the first place, I was the one who pushed myself into you. I am responsible for my own feelings. So, I'm sorry for letting you feel this burden" 

 

"Mina-" 

 

Mina smiled at her. "Stop saying sorry Chaeyoung. Stop making me feel more bad than the way I am" 

 

"I didn't mean it. You know that" 

 

"I know, Chaeyoung. Don't worry" then, she slowly removed her  hand from Chaeyoung's grip. 

 

"Don't worry now Chaeyoung because whatever your reason is, it's okay if you can't tell me. Because Chaeyoung, I will unlike you starting from now"