Chapter 1

Dancing In The Rain

"Mina, why are you so.. wet?"

 

 

Mina rolled her eyes at Sana for asking such a dumb obvious question as she slammed the door of their office.

 

 

"I don't know, you tell me. Why would I get this wet if it's not raining outside?!" she answered in an irritated voice as she removed her wet coat.

 

 

"Hey, chill! I was just asking" Sana chuckled at her, ignoring how annoyed she is right now.

 

 

Well, Sana doesn't even take her that seriously when she's mad or upset. Maybe she just knows Mina too well now. She became her closest friend after all, ever since their high school days. And since then, they weren't separated with each other. Even now that they're both already working.

 

 

"Why does it have to rain when I'm not bringing an umbrella and I'm carrying important documents?!" Mina groaned in too much frustration as she wiped the blueprints of their recent project. "God! I really hate rain, always such a pain in the "

 

 

"Poor rain! You always hated it and I'm starting to wonder why but I guess... I know the answer"

 

 

"Oh, Sana. Please just shut up" she glared at her but the latter just laugh and proceeds to go back on what she's doing.

 

 

Mina laid out all the wet papers on the vacant table, hoping for it to dried up so that she could still save it. Or else, she's going to spend another sleepless nights just to make it again.

 

 

"Hey, Sana.. did you already talk to your mom? About our problem with the engineer for our new project?"

 

 

Sana stood up and walked over her table. Ready for their lunch break. "Not yet, but don't worry there's a meeting tomorrow. That's when I'll say it"

 

 

Mina and Sana both took up Architecture during their college days. So now, they're also both working at an Architectural company owned by Sana's parents. Their other friends are on different fields that's why they all rarely see each other. But if there's really an important occasion that requires a get together, everyone see to it that they'll show up. 

 

 

Well except for.. Mina. And they all understand her but sometimes they also wish that Mina would attend their friends gathering. But Mina is still not ready for that even after all these years.

 

 

"Did you already saw Jihyo's messages on our group chat?" Sana asked while they were eating.

 

 

Mina quickly shook her head. "No. I've muted it"

 

 

"You're so mean, Mina!" Mina just shrugged at her and ate her sandwich. "Anyway, so Tzuyu's coming back to Korea next week!"

 

 

"Really? Wow, it's been what? Two years, right? Glad that kid still planned to go back here"

 

 

"Uh-huh! That's why she's throwing a party and of course, we're all invited" Sana gave her a knowing look.

 

 

"Sana, you know I can't-"

 

 

"Stop! I won't take no as an answer this time. We won't take no as an answer"

 

 

Mina sighed. "It's been three years and I'm not showing up every time, right? What's the difference now? Please.. just stop convincing me. I won't go, Sana"

 

 

"Mina.. you said it yourself, it's been already three years. So please, stop walking on eggshell with our friends. They understand you, yes. But Mina, they also miss you and they want to see you" Sana held Mina's hand above the table. "Stop avoiding our friends, you need to hang out with us every once in a while. You need to enjoy like what we used to do back then"

 

 

"It's different now.. you know how it's just different now, Sana" Mina looked down on her unfinished food. "I.. I still can't. I miss them too but I don't want to ruin everything"

 

 

"Mina trust me, you won't ruin everything. I already told you before, the person you're avoiding, she's not even showing up too" Mina flinched at that and Sana noticed it. "I'm s-sorry.. I know you're still sensitive over this but I just want you to know that there's no need to avoid a person who's not even there"

 

 

"R-really? I.. thought..."

 

 

"The last time we saw her was on Jeongyeon's birthday and that was years ago. When you guys uh, recently.. broke up" Sana looked away as she continued to explain. "And that's it, our last news from her is that she's going to America"

 

 

Mina was speechless, she doesn't even know what to react on that. Clearly, she doesn't even know a single thing about her ex-lover now. They were completely out of each other's lives. And it was so weird for Mina because why is she feeling hurt again?

 

 

She tried so hard to avoid her friends, knowing that her ex would be there too. Mina just know that she's still not ready to see her again, she just know that once she saw her face again she'd fall apart. Like what she did when the love of her life.. left her.

 

 

Mina doesn't want for their friends to get involved because of their break up because it doesn't concern them after all. Well maybe it does because they're all friends but it's just that Mina doesn't want to make the atmosphere awkward or tensed. They already suffered enough when they knew that they broke up. So, she just decided to avoid them, or.. her. 

 

 

And now knowing that she too were avoiding everyone made Mina think that it was seriously over. She's never going back to Mina.

 

 

But still, Mina is glad to hear that she's doing well and is achieving her dreams. She'd been wanting to go to America ever since to get the opportunity for her career. Mina was happy to know that even though she left her for that dream, it was all worth it. 

 

 

"I'll.. think about it, Sana" 

 

Suddenly, Mina's thoughts wandered... 

 

 

I'm glad that you already reached your dream. The dream that you've always wanted. I was there when you're just starting to picture it out, I saw how much hardwork you put into it. The amount of your sweat and tears. The sleepless nights. And now, it all paid off. 

 

 

Proud is an understatement. Although I would never have a chance to say this to you but.. 

 

 

I'm proud of you, Chaeyoung.

 

 

I am happy for you for reaching that dream. Even if I'm not a part of it anymore. 

 

 

Those were the unsaid words that echoed on Mina's mind. The words that her heart has spoken. 

 

 

Next week came, the week that Mina is avoiding with all her might but of course, failed. Sana was bugging her since that day and not just her bestfriend, but all of their friends. Its like they've joined forces just to convince Mina to come. 

 

 

"Why is it raining so hard again today?" Sana mumbled annoyingly as she drives while Mina is on the passenger seat. 

 

 

"I told you, I shouldn't have come. The rain is a sign of a bad omen to me" 

 

 

Sana rolled her eyes at her. "Oh, shut it Mina. You're already inside my car and please, stop blaming the poor rain" 

 

 

They both arrived at the bar that Tzuyu chose. It's Blacklist, which is located at Itaewon, Seoul. And when Mina got out of the car, she could only sigh and shook her head upon seeing the big label outside. 

 

 

"Oh, wow" she then turned to Sana, left eyebrow slightly raised. "Blacklist, really?" 

 

 

"Ops, ain't my fault" Sana raised her two hands while laughing. "Jeongyeon chose this and you know that this is one of our favorite bars even back then" 

 

 

"Well, how can I really forget that right?" Mina said sarcastically. "Come on, let's just go inside" 

 

 

Tzuyu rented the whole rooftop for them so Sana and Mina goes straight to where they are. She let Sana go in first and when they saw her, Mina could hear the loud cheers from their friends who's also calling Sana's name. Mina took a deep breath and followed inside. 

 

 

The loud cheers had gone silent, everyone has gone silent. Mina could see how their friends, Jeongyeon, Jihyo, Tzuyu, and Momo gasped at her sudden presence. All eyes are on her, not until Jihyo screamed and ran towards her. 

 

 

"Oh my gosh! Our Mina is here!" 

 

 

Mina could only laugh while hugging Jihyo because of her reaction. Their other friends also welcomed Mina with their warmest hugs as soon as she arrived on their table. 

 

 

"Oh Mina, I missed you so much" Momo said. 

 

 

"I missed you too, Momoring" she smiled at her and looked at everyone. "I missed all of you. Sorry for being so MIA for the past years" 

 

 

"It's okay, Mina unnie. I'm just glad you're here, thank you so much for coming" 

 

 

"You're welcome, Tzuyu and welcome back to Korea!" Mina hugged her again and they all sat down. 

 

 

Their drinks and food were served in no time so they already started their mini party. It was just full of stories and laughs, some are just throwbacks of their college life. Mina could really say that she truly miss this, she missed being around them. 

 

 

"So.. how's life Mina? I heard you've been one of the best architects out there" Mina looked at Jeongyeon who sat beside her while giving her a drink. 

 

 

"Thanks" she said as she sipped on it. "Guess I'm fine and I'm not the best, just trying to work really hard. But, really, Blacklist?" 

 

 

Jeongyeon chuckled. "I'm sorry, I didn't know Sana was really serious that you're coming since she always say that even before. And I thought this is one of your favorite place?" 

 

 

"Oh, stop it. You're not funny" Mina smacked her in the arm and rolled her eyes. 

 

 

"Yeah you're not funny so stop teasing Mina or she'll regret going here" Sana joked as she butted in. 

 

 

The night was getting deeper and they already drank numbers of bottles, when Mina just realized that someone's not here. 

 

 

"Hey, where's Dahyun? She's not coming?" she asked all of them. 

 

 

"She said she's already near. She just ran some errands before going here" Tzuyu answered. 

 

 

They were all happily talking as they are all seated around the table when the door of the rooftop opened. And based from that loud voice, Mina could tell that Dahyun finally arrived. 

 

 

"Hey guys! I'm sorry for being late I know the party is just so boring without me right?" Everyone laughed as they looked at her. "Well.. I just brought someone here.. W-wait, Mina..?" 

 

 

Dahyun said nervously, as if she had seen a ghost. Mina smiled at her and waved but to Mina's surprise, Dahyun's reaction was still the same or it even got worser. She was about to turn around in a panic mode but it's too late. Mina already knew why she reacted that way. 

 

 

There, at the door, someone entered that made all of them dead silent. Mina could feel how their eyes are looking at her again. Her heart was beating so fast, she was so afraid that everyone could hear it because of the silence that someone created. 

 

 

"Chaeyoung!" 

 

 

Mina doesn't even know who called her. But hearing her name once again made it even more real that she's really here, in front of her. 

 

 

"Hi. I'm sorry for being such a party crasher" 

 

 

As soon as Mina heard her voice once again, it's like her insides are turning. had gone dry. And the moment their eyes met, it's like Mina had stopped breathing.

 

 

But.. that's just it. Their eyes just met for a few seconds and Chaeyoung quickly removed her gaze at her. 

 

 

It's like she never knew me at all. 

 

 

It's like she's not even bothered by my presence. 

 

 

It's like she doesn't care anymore. 

 

 

It's like we were never been in love once. 

 

 

Or did we, really? 

 

 

But as Mina looked at Chaeyoung once again, she finally realized why. Why did Chaeyoung reacted that way, like she's not even moved by seeing Mina once again. 

 

 

Because she's here right now, walking towards them. With a girl on her side, and they are walking hand in hand. 

 

 

"Uh, guys.. I'd like you to meet.." Chaeyoung looked at everyone, including Mina. But Mina had to lower her head, and clench her fist. Sana saw it so she held Mina's hand under the table. 

 

 

"Nayeon. My girlfriend" 

 

 

Mina's heart crushed, when she shouldn't be feeling this way. It's like anytime soon her tears are going to fall. 

 

 

"Hi! It's nice to finally meet you everyone. Chaeyoung has been talking nonstop about you guys" 

 

 

Their friends welcomed Nayeon with so much respect. They were really kind and friendly after all. And of course, it's Chaeyoung's girlfriend. Their friends girlfriend. 

 

 

But Mina can't just welcome her like how all of them do. Not like now that there's a lump on . 

 

 

"Excuse me. Bathroom" and Mina hurriedly stood up and stormed out of the rooftop. Clenching her chest as tears started to fall on her face. 

 

 

Mina thinks that she's already going insane for thinking that Chaeyoung would somehow follow her. But just got hurt when.. she didn't. 

 

 

Pictures of Chaeyoung and Nayeon, holding hands while looking so inlove lingers on Mina's mind. 

 

 

And that's the moment when Mina finally accepted that what Chaeyoung and her had were all part of the past. That it's already long gone.. 

 

 

Because Chaeyoung is already spending her present and maybe her future with someone else.

 

 

Not with her, not with Mina.